This is why exploits ruin the game...

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Canakun.8031

Canakun.8031

I sort of do both. I enjoy the dungeons and savor them, especially my first runs, but in all honesty if I’m trying to gear an alt, after a couple of times I’ll try to do those paths quickly. Even to people who AREN’T crazy fun-hating farmers, doing a dungeon more than a few times in a short period makes you want it to end. To that end, I can barely do CoF zerk farming more than a few times before wanting to fall asleep.

Mamorou Itou Defense Club.
Protect him at all costs.

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

The best dungeon they made so far has been the Molten facility , but sadly it was a living story one . Even if a bit to easy, i felt that every mob encounter was fun, and the boss mechanics were very fun . The rewards were quite cool as well .

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

The best dungeon they made so far has been the Molten facility , but sadly it was a living story one . Even if a bit to easy, i felt that every mob encounter was fun, and the boss mechanics were very fun . The rewards were quite cool as well .

Wish that one stayed, it was refreshing to do every so often.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

Posted by: Remillard.8691

Remillard.8691

Well there are different theories on how this should play out. Way back in the misty mists of mistdom (i.e. WoW Vanilla and Burning Crusade) it wasn’t really a big deal to skip packs. However they were skipped judiciously. I’m thinking primarily of mainly the BC dungeons. Slave Pens… no one deliberately pulled all those groups in the big room leading up to the shaman (it’s been so long I’m forgetting the names of the species). There was a little careful dodging around pats and bingo bango you were onto the next pull that couldn’t be dodged.

The same was true for lots of dungeons in Auchindoun and the Tempest Keep ones. You made some choices about what to pull and fight. It did end up being MOST of the packs but frequently there was something to skip and it was skipped. No big deal. Blizzard’s philosophy with this changed more dramatically through Wrath and I was pretty much out by Cataclysm but I saw all the heroic fights in those launch dungeons. It was very linear, you pulled and fought, pulled and fought. There was no clever usage of the terrain or understanding patrol patterns.

However there’s still one thing different. If you screwed up and you pulled, you had to fight. The leashing that goes on in dungeons in GW2 is really crazy and that’s what permits the large-scale skipping. The fights on the bridge in CoF? In an old WoW style dungeon, those could NEVER be skipped. You would pull all that crap to the next event and wipe.

Honestly I LIKE a LITTLE skipping. I like being able to judiciously choose a path through a dungeon, a careful pull here, a careful pull there and hey we created a sneaky little path that our band of intrepid adventurers can use to get to the objective. I can’t say I like the whole sale CoF skipping. Molten Facility was pretty good, but you did pull everything.

I don’t know what the solution is. My opinion would be to extend the leashes on everything and then bump up the trash loot a bit. Maybe put in some ways some things could be skipped carefully and skillfully.

Posted by: TheUndefined.1720

TheUndefined.1720

I’m really happy to see that this thread has maintained a huge amount of integrity. I expected the thread to crash and burn by the tenth post or so.

I apologize for saying this, but I never came to the dungeons forums. I honestly had no idea there was a huge debate on here with pro killing trash mobs and anti-killing trash mobs.

I think it was established pretty early on the discussion is regarding exploits specifically. Such as, bugging out bosses so they cannot hit you or the fight does not go as intended.

I appreciate the wonderful discussion, and I’m learning a lot about our gaming community. I just don’t want this thread to turn into a debate over something that was never intended to be debated.

I truly hope an ANet Dev is watching this thread and learning about the community that has supported its development of GW2 considering we have maintained a respectful and very introspective exchange of ideas without our discussions devolving into a collection of tantrum fits.

Thanks again for the posts and views.

Posted by: Isslair.4908

Isslair.4908

TBH, a good party composition with zerk DPS makes all pve content trivial. Yeah, some things demand more coordination or some special skills (like blind spam or projectile reflects), it’s still not that hard or skill-intensive.

Exploits are just needed to save time and sometimes (hellou arah p4 dps-check) to actually complete a path even with stubborn “I wanna play the game the way I want” tanky condition rangers.
I wouldn’t mind killing every mob and doing the bosses legit way, if I’d have a constant party of dedicated dungeon runners with relevant DPS. We actually did full runs of AC before the nerf and it was quite nice.
But the problem of GW2 is that ~80% of players in dungeons don’t care about good DPS builds or skill rotations and stuff like that. So every encounter takes 4x the usual time. Hence the urge to skip as much as possible, while cheesing through boss-fights.

EU Aurora Glade

(edited by Isslair.4908)