Time to separate agony resistance from armor

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Fixing the broken forum bug!

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Thankfully, nobody proposed removing an achievement requirement from earning items, only removing the tedious repetition of grinds.

I don’t understand what’s so important about repeating “progression” on alts. It’s like saying getting the 170 hero points on 8 toons (having one lv80 class of each) just to unlock their elite spec stuff is OK. Or doing world completion on multiple toons. It’s just pure tedium.

People don’t roll alts to repeat progression. They do it to experience different personal story steps and starting racial experiences, or even more so experiencing the different combat experience of another class.

More importantly, I detest this idea that games involve “work”. I play games for leisure. I’m OK with challenges gating rewards. I’m not OK with repeated chores I have to put up with that basically test my resistance and will to overcome boredom.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I don’t understand what’s so important about repeating “progression” on alts. It’s like saying getting the 170 hero points on 8 toons (having one lv80 class of each) just to unlock their elite spec stuff is OK. Or doing world completion on multiple toons. It’s just pure tedium.

People don’t roll alts to repeat progression. They do it to experience different personal story steps and starting racial experiences, or even more so experiencing the different combat experience of another class.

I do, and I know countless people who do as well. You don’t speak for everyone. I love having things to do on my alts. It’s the reason I repeat my personal story, it’s the reason I repeat map completion, it’s the reason I repeat ascended gear crafting, and it’s the reason I play them in fractals to get and then build infusions. I also, of course, roll alts for different combat experiences, but being able to build something up from zero to something meaningful has value to me.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Thankfully, nobody proposed removing an achievement requirement from earning items, only removing the tedious repetition of grinds.

More importantly, I detest this idea that games involve “work”. I play games for leisure. I’m OK with challenges gating rewards. I’m not OK with repeated chores I have to put up with that basically test my resistance and will to overcome boredom.

I’ve done the PS on all my characters usually repeating the same one (being balth is so awesome! as well as the golem suit later on).

I do agree with you though, I would prefer that level of commitment wasn’t there. But, it is… and some people like it, some people like having something motivating them to do something, it’s something these games have thrived on for years.

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

The number of people who oppose QoL features that don’t harm them in any way will never cease to be amazing.

Devaluing the objective usefulness of an item and by-design progression of a mechanic is not a mere QOL change. This change, for whatever quality of life it might bring, actively weakens the case for even getting ascended gear (something ANet doesn’t want) and actively damages the ability of someone to enhance their gear further by playing Fractals a lot.

Again, you are falling into that old type of MMORPG hell in which you gain better gear to get that superiority. Why can’t we gain that superiority by just skill and experience alone. After all, ascended armor can be made by purchasing gold easily. It’s not like something super prestigious any way. You will still be easily outclasses by rich kids in terms of gear.

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

The number of people who oppose QoL features that don’t harm them in any way will never cease to be amazing.

First of all this isn’t a QoL feature proposal and I shouldn’t have to explain why. Look up what a QoL update is by google searching and figure out why you’re wrong on your own.

Second of all, OP here posted under the guise of somebody looking for an actual discussion but instead is only intending for their thread to function like a change.org link. Are you really amazed that there are people like us posting with opposition when literally all we did was state that we disagree with him only to get responded with hate and sarcasm?

Posted by: Sarahfull.4930

Sarahfull.4930

No thank you. Please keep the two together.

Zenith.7301

I do, and I know countless people who do as well. You don’t speak for everyone. I love having things to do on my alts. It’s the reason I repeat my personal story, it’s the reason I repeat map completion, it’s the reason I repeat ascended gear crafting, and it’s the reason I play them in fractals to get and then build infusions. I also, of course, roll alts for different combat experiences, but being able to build something up from zero to something meaningful has value to me.

It cuts both ways. When you say separating ascended from AR devalues the item, you only speak for your feelings.

And it simply comes down to why should they cater to only your feelings on the matter?

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

Make it so that you need to get an ascended piece of gear in order to unlock the agony infusion slot for that exact piece, make this an additional, account-wide slot and leave the original slot for the non-AR infusions. Also add stronger infusions.

That would be a way to lessen the annoyance of getting enough AR on multiple chars while still having a reason to get ascended gear on multiple characters. Though I feel like this idea is not going to be much liked.

Zenith.7301

Make it so that you need to get an ascended piece of gear in order to unlock the agony infusion slot for that exact piece, make this an additional, account-wide slot and leave the original slot for the non-AR infusions. Also add stronger infusions.

That would be a way to lessen the annoyance of getting enough AR on multiple chars while still having a reason to get ascended gear on multiple characters. Though I feel like this idea is not going to be much liked.

Basically anyone who’s dumped bucketloads of money on ascended.

Then again they’ll get over it just like the people camping their 1k+ dreamthistle weapons got over the fact that the skins were reintroduced.

Or how people got over the fact they had bought multiple abyss dyes back before dyes were account bound.

Posted by: kolompi.1287

kolompi.1287

Let me clarify something here. Anet has screwed people over with their decisions time and time again. Nobody who is still here would be surprised or outraged if it happened again. But the thing OP suggests is just unnecessary as the system in place works rather well and is quite flexible.

With the words of Detha Tremblebones: Your plan is just stupid and won’t work.

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

I won’t agree to such a change unless it becomes at least equally (if not more) useful than it already is. You can’t please everyone, that’s how the world works, but you can at least try to compromise. Do other people have to do it for you?

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

Posted by: Therodin.2970

Therodin.2970

I play fractals often and have a full set of ascended light and heavy. But i would appreciate the change to account bound agony. I do feel like i would be a mit miffed because the main reason i made ascended armor was that i wanted to be able to do higher level fractals. But the ease it would bring to trying different classes in higher level fractals would be worth it to me.

Zenith.7301

Imagine not having to shift ascended accessories with the +10 infusions around characters through the bank each time you switch classes for fractals ;/

Posted by: Canakun.8031

Canakun.8031

I think HOTS should be a good time to separate agony resistance from ascended armor set. I would like to see agony resistance become an account-wide stat just like magic find.

My reason for agony resistance being a bad thing tied to armor:
1. GW2 is advertised as a no-grind for stats game. However, to progress in fotm, you have to make ascended armors which are quite costly. And the ability to craft ascended armor has no correlation with one’s ability to do fractals.

2. Anet wants every profession to be versatile. However, with AR tied to armor, one has to stick to one set of armor which greatly limits build variety. If you want to switch from power to condie, you have to craft a complete new set of ascended armor. This is not fun.

3. I am also forced to run with limited professions. Heavy/medium/light gear type can only be shared among three professions.

4. Ascended armor is end-game gear. Being forced to put on AR in the infusion slot makes me feel awkward. Just in order to do fractals, I won’t be able to put other types of infusion in the slot.

With the new fractal line in the mastery system, I think there should be no problem for Anet to separate the AR progression from the gear progression.

No.

Mamorou Itou Defense Club.
Protect him at all costs.

Canakun.8031

60 AR on trinkets and 10 on weapons makes it easy for alts currently. Do wonder how it will work in later fractal levels though. Will be very annoying if we have to craft full ascended armor any time we want to use an alt of another gear type (heavy/medium/light). What’s also annoying is the rune situation. Even if you get full legendary from raids, trying out different runes or giving your armor to another profession that benefits from a different rune will be a problem.

Regardless, something needs to be done to make it easier for people to get into fractals. The offensive/defensive/utility infusion slot vs agony infusion slot is a pain to explain to new people interested in fractals. Reading the wiki doesn’t help them too much. As a guild leader, I’ve had to explain this many times so I know how unintuitive the current system is. +1 agony infusions drop frequently, but aren’t usable on the most common infusion slots. That’s just bad design.

You don’t need any Agony Resistance to do fractals. At all. You only need it to do it at a higher difficulty.

Posted by: Arcadio.6875

Arcadio.6875

You don’t need any Agony Resistance to do fractals. At all. You only need it to do it at a higher difficulty.

I’m not sure what the point of your comment is…

Lord Arcadio
League Of Ascending Immortals [OATH]

Canakun.8031

I’m not sure what the point of your comment is…

No need to be snarky about it.
I’m rolling off what you said about players getting into fractals by stating that they don’t need a single piece of ascended armor to start doing fractals.

I made my comment within the context of the thread, being about agony resistance as a content gate.

Arcadio.6875

Doing fractals isn’t just about seeing the fractals. It’s about progressing through the levels going through tougher challenges and getting better rewards. When new members in my guild ask about fractals, they want to know about what they need to progress. They aren’t interested in doing 1-9 only.

Lord Arcadio

Posted by: RedDeadFred.1256

RedDeadFred.1256

I’d be fine if they separated it as long as they added some extra functionality. It doesn’t even have to be combat oriented. Maybe if you’re wearing full ascended you get a bonus 50% magic find that ignores the cap. Maybe it could let you pay a gold to remove a rune without destroying said rune. I’m not saying those are necessarily great ideas, but give people something. Don’t just go pulling the rug out from under a large amount of the players.

Arcadio.6875

Free sigil/rune changing in the same way you can swap stat combos on legendary gear (and of course legendary would have this new feature too).

Lord Arcadio

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

versatile simple infusion is so cheap anyway. you do a single fractal and you get 96.

If you are short for your alt, you are probably spending more time getting gear for fractal than actual play fractal.

But those agony infusion is really annoying. Those are actually costly. I hope new expansion won’t force us to put agony infusion in every piece of gear.

Canakun.8031

Doing fractals isn’t just about seeing the fractals. It’s about progressing through the levels going through tougher challenges and getting better rewards. When new members in my guild ask about fractals, they want to know about what they need to progress. They aren’t interested in doing 1-9 only.

And part of that process is acquiring the appropriate gear.
The good thing is they aren’t being locked out of content, only difficulty settings.

Arcadio.6875

And part of that process is acquiring the appropriate gear.
The good thing is they aren’t being locked out of content, only difficulty settings.

You’re defining content too narrowly to the point where your comment is irrelevant to what anyone else is talking about. I consider Fractals 10-50(100 in HoT) to be part of the Fractals content. And they aren’t difficulty settings in the way many games have easy/normal/hard modes. The whole point is to progress through the levels.

Note that neither I nor the TC are advocating removal of the agony resistance progression. I don’t necessarily think they need to be decoupled from ascended gear. I just think the process needs to be streamlined in some way to make it easier for people to bring in alts and for new players to understand how they will be progressing through the levels. I still think people need to earn their way through the levels.

Lord Arcadio