Tips for Simin, High Priestess of Dwayna

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: pdfrod.1948

pdfrod.1948

After finally delivering the final blow on this boss, I thought I’d share my tale:

http://mygw2.wordpress.com/2012/12/31/simin-high-priestess-of-dwayna/

May it serve you well brother.

Commentaries and suggestions welcome.

Posted by: Heylo.4938

Heylo.4938

I need to remember this for whenever I attempt path 4. Thanks for such a great write up!

Sickest Guild [NA] Blackgate

Posted by: Naru.4521

Naru.4521

Really nice made, thank you, will try it tomorrow, as cant find more ppl for path 4 atm. Need to find patient ppl who really want to get it done.

Posted by: Fallen Aeons.7650

Fallen Aeons.7650

Tried it with every method on there, even the 4-1 method. AN just needs to fix their game so we don’t spend time trying to find ways around their mistakes.

RĂ´se/ Elitist Mesmer/ Coldsnap[IX]/ Blackgate

Posted by: Fildydarie.1496

Fildydarie.1496

Why would you want to fix an encounter designed to require more than just DPS? It sounds like it is the one encounter that works right to me.

-Fildydarie
Hutchmistress of the Fluffy Bunny Brigade [FBB]

pdfrod.1948

Tried it with every method on there, even the 4-1 method. AN just needs to fix their game so we don’t spend time trying to find ways around their mistakes.

My purpose here is not to discuss whether this encounter is bugged or not. There are already many threads for that. What I’m aiming for here, is to share battle proven techniques for those who are willing to try their luck on this boss.

Posted by: Hellgaunt.1734

Hellgaunt.1734

Good write up pdfrod

Thanks!

pdfrod.1948

No problem! Hope it helps

Posted by: Vanthian.9267

Vanthian.9267

Why would you want to fix an encounter designed to require more than just DPS? It sounds like it is the one encounter that works right to me.

It is not running the sparks that people complain about, it is the ridiculous amount of regen while she is stealth that people complain about.

Using OP terms, after phase 1 of the fight you need EXTREME DPS to get her low enough to even have a chance at killing her after the second spark run. It is a insane DPS check. One that is not needed. It would be fine if they just made the regen slower. Not every class can crit for a easy 12-20k like a warrior.

Unless the group is comprised of nothing but warriors this encounter is a nightmare.

I just tired to help some of my in game friends get their dungeon title. This is the path they have not completed yet. They are good players. It was a well meshed group. The only downfall to our group is we play defensively. So after phase 1, we would chop off another 15% of her health before she would stealth. She can easily heal that in around 15 seconds (if not sooner).

So we got stuck on a infinite loop. Not because we lack the skill. Only due to lack of dps.

The Group: 2 Warriors, Guardian, 2 Elementalists

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

It is not running the sparks that people complain about, it is the ridiculous amount of regen while she is stealth that people complain about.

Using OP terms, after phase 1 of the fight you need EXTREME DPS to get her low enough to even have a chance at killing her after the second spark run. It is a insane DPS check. One that is not needed. It would be fine if they just made the regen slower. Not every class can crit for a easy 12-20k like a warrior.

Unless the group is comprised of nothing but warriors this encounter is a nightmare.

I just tired to help some of my in game friends get their dungeon title. This is the path they have not completed yet. They are good players. It was a well meshed group. The only downfall to our group is we play defensively. So after phase 1, we would chop off another 15% of her health before she would stealth. She can easily heal that in around 15 seconds (if not sooner).

So we got stuck on a infinite loop. Not because we lack the skill. Only due to lack of dps.

Whole party dealt 15% of her hp damage in 30-40s?

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Regards guide, there’s no really different phases. She stealths after X seconds (like 60?) if she is below 50% health, if not she waits until 50%.

Posted by: George Steel.1804

George Steel.1804

See, individuals like you totally screw up people’s perception of the boss. Guess what, you were doing it wrong.

We did it with 2 thiefs, 1 Mesmer, 1 ele (not specced full dps) and me, a guardian, with 1400 healing power.

She healed five times and we killed her. She doesn’t heal too fast, you just need people to learn how to kite sparks in faster.

Each time we would get her lower and lower.
It was a blast

0 warriors.

Platinum – Guardian
Technical Strength – Engineer
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

Vanthian.9267

See, individuals like you totally screw up people’s perception of the boss. Guess what, you were doing it wrong.

We did it with 2 thiefs, 1 Mesmer, 1 ele (not specced full dps) and me, a guardian, with 1400 healing power.

She healed five times and we killed her. She doesn’t heal too fast, you just need people to learn how to kite sparks in faster.

It was a blast

0 warriors.

Thieves, if built right, have very high dmg output with just their auto attacks on their daggers. None of us in my group were dps because we don’t’ play in that fashion. We play defensively. So none of us had over 2.7k attack. You need to have at least 3 members in the group with around 2.9k attack + to even have a chance at beating her I am willing to bet. Which means they are trying to force a group into 3 dps + 2 support or either 4 dps + 1 support.

pdfrod.1948

Regards guide, there’s no really different phases. She stealths after X seconds (like 60?) if she is below 50% health, if not she waits until 50%.

I’ve measured a couple of videos and indeed seems to be around 60 seconds. I’ve a built a calculator based on that:
http://simin.cu.cc

Posted by: George Steel.1804

George Steel.1804

It was a blast

0 warriors.

Thieves, if built right, have very high dmg output with just their auto attacks on their daggers. None of us in my group were dps because we don’t’ play in that fashion. We play defensively. So none of us had over 2.7k attack. You need to have at least 3 members in the group with around 2.9k attack + to even have a chance at beating her I am willing to bet. Which means they are trying to force a group into 3 dps + 2 support or either 4 dps + 1 support.

So none of you could respec, switch traits out for more offensive options?
And let me get this right, none of you were dps but you wanted to kill a boss?

Now I understand why devs are so careful (or I hope) when listening to player feedback.

“We play defensively”

I guess I just don’t know how to even respond.
You realize it’s the hardest dungeon in the game, right?

Platinum – Guardian
Technical Strength – Engineer
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

Posted by: Diviner.7405

Diviner.7405

It was a blast

0 warriors.

So none of you could respec, switch traits out for more offensive options?
And let me get this right, none of you were dps but you wanted to kill a boss?

Now I understand why devs are so careful (or I hope) when listening to player feedback.

“We play defensively”

I guess I just don’t know how to even respond.
You realize it’s the hardest dungeon in the game, right?

So what if it is the hardest dungeon in the game. If having a tanky playstyle is how they role, and it works, then there is nothing wrong with it.

The Devs have stressed that any dungeon should be do able despite class/build composition yet this one boss breaks that idea in half.

The fight is a “challenge” (I use that word very loosely) for all the wrong reasons.
The equation is this

Time Spent = Boss HP/DPS

This boss utterly destroys that equation and thus the “Challenge” is presented.

Look at Lupi. That boss is the hardest boss in the game for all the right reasons. He has multiple phases with different attacks that hit you hard if you do not know what you are doing. You will wipe multiple times if its your groups first time. He is “challenging content” and no one can deny this. The thing that sets Lupi different then Simin is that no matter what your build is, you still can do it. If everyone is specced as tank, its just going to take more time. For Simin, it becomes impossible and there in lies the problem.

Vanthian.9267

Look at Lupi. That boss is the hardest boss in the game for all the right reasons. He has multiple phases with different attacks that hit you hard if you do not know what you are doing. You will wipe multiple times if its your groups first time. He is “challenging content” and no one can deny this. The thing that sets Lupi different then Simin is that no matter what your build is, you still can do it. If everyone is specced as tank, its just going to take more time. For Simin, it becomes impossible and there in lies the problem.

We did Lupi in one go no deaths. I am not saying the team I was in was the best in the world, but we are fairly skilled. The only reason we couldn’t beat simin wasn’t due to running the sparks. It was all because of the dps measuring stick.

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

We did Lupi in one go no deaths. I am not saying the team I was in was the best in the world, but we are fairly skilled. The only reason we couldn’t beat simin wasn’t due to running the sparks. It was all because of the dps measuring stick.

Don’t tell me your whole team is worse than 2 people trying to 2man her.

pdfrod.1948

The Devs have stressed that any dungeon should be do able despite class/build composition yet this one boss breaks that idea in half.

I have seen the Devs say that you could do it with any class. I haven’t seen the Devs say that you could it with any build. I don’t think it would make much sense either; I don’t expect to be able to do it with a bad build.
I don’t see what the big deal is with having to retrait for one dungeon. It’s no like you have to reroll your character. At least in GW1, it was quite common to be required to change builds to do certain missions/quests.

Posted by: Diviner.7405

Diviner.7405

I have seen the Devs say that you could do it with any class. I haven’t seen the Devs say that you could it with any build. I don’t think it would make much sense either; I don’t expect to be able to do it with a bad build.
I don’t see what the big deal is with having to retrait for one dungeon. It’s no like you have to reroll your character. At least in GW1, it was quite common to be required to change builds to do certain missions/quests.

Even if you retrait, your equipment still plays a large role in the fight. Having to buy new equipment for 1 fight is bad game design no denying that.

And I would love to see 5 necros or 5 engineers attempt to do this.

Posted by: Prohotshot.8091

Prohotshot.8091

It was a blast

0 warriors.

You have a completely warped view of how this should be. The developers do nothing but stress that a player should be able to play however they want to. This means that a boss such as Simin where a DPS re spec and re-gear should be unnecessary. Why should they stress such matters such as play style equality but then have a boss where obviously only warriors have the least issue. Understand what you’re saying. My group was 2 Rangers(Full DPS,Glass Cannon), 2 Guards(Full DPS, Re-spec), Mesmer(Full DPS). Any of us who weren’t in DPS re-specced for it so that we could make up the damage but not only did it still not work because of this broken boss but we all felt like kitten playing like characters we didn’t want to play as. Why tell me to play the way I want the whole game but require me to me a meathead for a boss.

pdfrod.1948

It was a blast

0 warriors.

You have a completely warped view of how this should be. The developers do nothing but stress that a player should be able to play however they want to. This means that a boss such as Simin where a DPS re spec and re-gear should be unnecessary. Why should they stress such matters such as play style equality but then have a boss where obviously only warriors have the least issue. Understand what you’re saying. My group was 2 Rangers(Full DPS,Glass Cannon), 2 Guards(Full DPS, Re-spec), Mesmer(Full DPS). Any of us who weren’t in DPS re-specced for it so that we could make up the damage but not only did it still not work because of this broken boss but we all felt like kitten playing like characters we didn’t want to play as. Why tell me to play the way I want the whole game but require me to me a meathead for a boss.

The problem with most groups isn’t their lack of DPS, is that they are terrible with sparks. Look at the other thread and see how a group of 4 DPS warriors + mesmer failed at it. And both times I’ve done this, I didn’t have any warrior in my group.