To hard for average players.

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Atoo The Wise.5198

Atoo The Wise.5198

Q:

I would like to find out why the dungeons are so hard. My guild and I have tried three of the dungeons and the creatures you have to fight just walk up to us and kill us. Guys i understand that the dungeons need to be a little harder but these are way to hard. We beat Zhitan and that was the easiest of them all. We went into cof the other day and the creatures in there walked allover us. Is there anyway you could tone them down a little.

Posted by: Atoo The Wise.5198

Atoo The Wise.5198

I know of at least 150 players that I played with in gw1 went back to gw1 on the account of the dungeons. I know there are a lot more.

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

We need more informations :
-classes
-gear (masterwork/rare/exotic, berserker/knight/etc)
-dungeon (SM or EM, path)

And really, what was exactly the problem. Right now it’s all kind of vague.

Posted by: Wasabi Kitty.8247

Wasabi Kitty.8247

If cof is too hard for you then sorry, you’re not “average” you’re below average.

Anet make Rev great again.

Posted by: Dragon.8762

Dragon.8762

After a little while, its not that hard. Building your character to just do dps is a mistake a lot of people make. If you’re not ready to start dodging, kiting, and timing cooldowns, you will die a lot.

Also knowing the encounters and learning from mistakes will see you through. It’s all possible.

Posted by: Gelltor.3015

Gelltor.3015

Did anyone in your group know how to do it before going in? It’s normally much harder going if you don’t have at least one person who’s done it before

Posted by: Xaaz.8472

Xaaz.8472

If cof is too hard for you then sorry, you’re not “average” you’re below average.

^

Dungeons don’t need nerfed. Most of them are already pathetically easy. The ones that are hard are rather enjoyable. The rest are just there for lodestones, tokens, and cash.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I find most dungeons mindnumbing easy. They should be made way harder imho..

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Quite curious, do you run in full zerker/rampager gear?

Posted by: DancingPenguins.9875

DancingPenguins.9875

This post is correct.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Quite curious, do you run in full zerker/rampager gear?

I got a set of Power vit toughness gear and a set of berserkers.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Samriel.4312

Samriel.4312

My guild is mostly made up of what you would call “Average Joe” players. Some are above average, others are terribad. Usually our first trip through a dungeon (except most story modes, which are fairly easy) is kinda painful with at least one wipe and numerous deaths. The second trip through usually goes much better, by the third or fourth trip, everyone usually has all the boss mechanics down, knows the little tricks to make it go easier, etc. My advise to those having difficulty is to study up on the dungeon first, watch a few videos, read a few walkthroughs, get to know the encounters and what is coming before you even get there. Voice communication is another key, if you aren’t using it, you are going to have a harder time. Finally practice makes perfect. Each additional run through a dungeon should be easier than the one before, unless you are teaching a new guild member who has never been there before. Also as mentioned above, try to spec more towards defensive armors/traits as well as condition removal over raw DPS. Hope this helps.

Posted by: CassieGold.7460

CassieGold.7460

for the OP: I understand where you’re coming from, I ran dungeons a lot in GW1 and it was a shock to my system when I rolled into GW2 dungeons and got smacked hard. That being said…. we all got smacked a bit hard the first time we walked into Slaver’s Exile in GW1, but with learning and time, it became familiar and easy.

The same thing is true of GW2 dungeons. Each one has mechanics that you will need to learn and plan solutions for. CoF makes heavy use of the burning condition, and most dungeons have things that will put a high pressure damage on you following a stun or KD. Making sure your party is prepared with stun breaks and condition removal (or other means of handling the burning) is a starting point for success.

You can PUG dungeons to learn from veterans if you’d like, but if you want to figure it out yourself, with your guild, then I suggest a few tips:

1) Take each encounter one at a time, and take the time to break it down and study it. In dungeons, you will face more silver mobs than standard trash so you’ll need to be more aware of priority targets and work on focused fire to down important targets quickly.
2) Come prepared to change your utility skills, potentially frequently, to find the best tool for the task.
3) Talk about team strategy…. what is each person in the group bringing to the table and how can you piggy back off eachother. What combo fields can you take advantage of? Is the party applying a diversity of conditions, or is everyone overlapping bleed to the max 25 bleed stacks?

There are hard paths and easier paths, and to be honest, Arah story is probably one of the easiest dungeons because it’s part of the personal story…..

If you’re getting stuck on a specific path, the forums can be a good place to get advice, and as one of the posters above said, if you give us details about what professions are in your party and what encounters are troubling, we can give more specific advice.

Cheers, and GL in your dungeoneering.

LVL 80’s: Thief / Warrior / Guardian / Mesmer

Posted by: Kumakichi.2583

Kumakichi.2583

I would like to find out why the dungeons are so hard. My guild and I have tried three of the dungeons and the creatures you have to fight just walk up to us and kill us. Guys i understand that the dungeons need to be a little harder but these are way to hard. We beat Zhitan and that was the easiest of them all. We went into cof the other day and the creatures in there walked allover us. Is there anyway you could tone them down a little.

It sounds like you were doing story modes? If so some story modes are harder than doing explore modes. And if everybodies gear isn’t up to par then you could end up with a lot of people downed. Thats just part of the game. Its not unusual for certain bosses to cause quite a few people to be downed.

Sometimes it helps to watch video’s of content. It also helps to look at your own characters. Many players will take pvp setups into pve and expect to do ok. Many players haven’t learned there class well enough to contribute to groups in pve. And a lot of people haven’t even learned how to dodge roll in pve yet. So maybe its not the content but the shortcomings of your group. It doesn’t get any easier than CoF p1. If your repeatedly wiping on that then the problem is your group.

Posted by: Whoofe.7643

Whoofe.7643

story mode CoF first boss was pretty difficult as i remember it. i can see where this guy is coming from

Posted by: Jzl.8715

Jzl.8715

story mode CoF first boss was pretty difficult as i remember it. i can see where this guy is coming from

The only harder boss that I can remember is the boss in the weapon room, and even then it’s only the greatsword set that cause most of the problems.

While the dungeons doesn’t have a consistent difficulty curve from low to higher level, CoF is still a level 70/75 dungeon.

I’m not really big in this casual/hardcore players arguments, but as a casual player one should set realistic expectations of what is achievable in game. The limited gameplay and game experience will ultimately bottleneck the game content somewhere, and it is unrealistic to ask for shortcuts.

[PLUM] – SOR

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

The only harder boss that I can remember is the boss in the weapon room, and even then it’s only the greatsword set that cause most of the problems.

While the dungeons doesn’t have a consistent difficulty curve from low to higher level, CoF is still a level 70/75 dungeon.

I’m not really big in this casual/hardcore players arguments, but as a casual player one should set realistic expectations of what is achievable in game. The limited gameplay and game experience will ultimately bottleneck the game content somewhere, and it is unrealistic to ask for shortcuts.

There is one thing you should let go of when comparing casual and hardcore and that is thinking skill is directly linked to either playstyles. Casual or Hardcore only point to time spend not how good they are. Sure a lot of hardcores are skilled, but just as many are not except for in their own mind. Same for casuals. Just because someone doesn’t play a lot, that doesn’t mean you should assume they are unskilled players. Experience only helps so much before personal skill must be taken into consideration. IE intelligence and such.

Posted by: Jzl.8715

Jzl.8715

There is one thing you should let go of when comparing casual and hardcore and that is thinking skill is directly linked to either playstyles. Casual or Hardcore only point to time spend not how good they are. Sure a lot of hardcores are skilled, but just as many are not except for in their own mind. Same for casuals. Just because someone doesn’t play a lot, that doesn’t mean you should assume they are unskilled players. Experience only helps so much before personal skill must be taken into consideration. IE intelligence and such.

I am almost certain we are not talking about the same thing here. And yes, this is exactly why I mentioned I am not so fond of all these casual/hardcore nonsense.

[PLUM] – SOR

(edited by Jzl.8715)

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

You opened an identic thread two months ago. You keep stating that your friends/many players that you know of left because of dungeons being too hard.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: Erebus.7568

Erebus.7568

they are about right, the big issue is that no one are doing them without exploiting so when regular players which no nothing but exploiting meet a path of the higher lvl dungeons which cannot be exploited they are completely skilless and clueless of how to handle it and the bosses/dungeons are made for the players to have used countless hours on learning this stuff by having fun playing which the players havent done becouse they have been bored exploiting everything… and anet dont care and dont do kitten to stop it…..

if people actually started out by doing story mode till they where comfortable with the run then switched to exploration mode and actually DID all instead of skipping 90% and exploiting the last 9% having to kill 1% easy mode mobs, then i am sure any one would have the skills to feel like the dungeons isnt too hard.
rewarding some marks for story mode would be smart to incurage this as well

(edited by Erebus.7568)

Posted by: Justin.7163

Justin.7163

From what I can tell, dungeons as they currently are, are designed mainly for people who are very familiar with MMO’s and spend a LOT of time learing all the mechanics and nuances of the game. For those who are not, dungeons are incredibly unforgiving.

A lot of people say, “look up guides” or “go with someone who has done it”, but isn’t the point of a game to experience it without any guides and be familiar with it yet still have as much of a chance as these other guys? It seems you’re supposed to be exceptionally familiar with the mechanics of a given dungeons before you even get a chance to play it! Talk about spoiling the fun. Even with some of the fractals you are going to be very frustrated if you don’t look up the mechanics of certain bosses or puzzles. The game supplies you with essentially no information on what to do. At least with games that get dungeon bosses right (Zelda for example) you have a partner who gives you helpful hints on how to deal with them.

Also, I’ve noticed that people expect you to be maxed out on your gear to be able to withstand the high damage/hp pools of bosses, but I thought this game isn’t supposed to be so gear dependent!

Yet another thing I find is that, if you’re having trouble finding groups to do it with, find a guild or have current friends to do it with! Well that kind of defeats the purpose of an MMO, yes? I thought we were supposed to be encouraged to meet new people and try things with unfamiliar people, yet instead (especially with dungeons) we are at a disadvantage.

I’m just saying that the OP has a point when it comes to the difficulty of dungeons. They suffer from horrible game design (one-hit kill attacks and enemies with absurd health pools) and unbalance. If you want to have fun, avoid dungeons at all costs.

Posted by: Avigrus.2871

Avigrus.2871

My mates and i have been playing MMOs for years and we have difficulty with some of the harder dungeons (though we 4 manned Arah, with 2 drunk people :p)… i can only imagine what a new player would go through.

80 Necro (5), 80 Guard (4), 80 Mesmer (3)
80 Ranger (3), 80 Warrior (3), 80 Thief (3)
80 Ele (2), 80 Engi (3), 80 Rev (2)

Posted by: Horrorscope.7632

Horrorscope.7632

If you’re not ready to start dodging, kiting, and timing cooldowns, you will die a lot.

It’s that “kiting” word that make gameplay ehhh. How about this, keep the mobs equal to their open world equivalents and just make more of them at once. Being in an instance should allow more.

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

All you need to succeed in dungeons is bring only as much support as is necessary, then max out your damage.

Posted by: Ruruuiye.8912

Ruruuiye.8912

The dungeons are balanced with the wiki and voice chat in mind, which I find refreshing. For my small guild, when we are able to gather five people on voice chat together, the balance on most of them is just about right. We are not particularly hardcore, nor do we go about things blindly without making use of the information and tools available to us. It’s understandable that some people would find what we find challenging to be trivial and also understandable that others find it inaccessible. It really is about at the limit of our comfort zone though. When I’m alone, I do pure blind pugs. Most runs do make it through eventually on some paths of each dungeon but the success rate in my experience is quite low compared to other MMOs. The elitists are going to exult about how it’s skill-based and how it’s not pandering to noobs, gb2wow etc etc but the reality is we don’t give a single kitten – if the material isn’t accessible, we won’t bother with it and you’ll have wasted your time developing it.

The weird thing is that the “average” run through any dungeon is probably a highly successful one because a small proportion of superheavy dungeon runners is responsible for the vast majority of dungeon runs completed but the devs will need to have a good hard look at what to expect out of a median player’s skill level and how much frustration they are willing to put up with if they move forward with preventing waypointing during party combat.

Posted by: lOKI.8152

lOKI.8152

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/user/47122-sifr/page__tab__reputation__app_tab__forums__type__given__st__90

Dungeons were never designed to be played by the “average” player as you can read (For me “the average player” means the same as “the vast majority” in the article).

Lvl 80s: Thief, Necro, Engi, Ele, Mesmer, Ranger

“War does not determine who is right – only who is left.”

(edited by lOKI.8152)

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/user/47122-sifr/page__tab__reputation__app_tab__forums__type__given__st__90

Dungeons were never designed to be played by the “average” player as you can read (For me “the average player” means the same as “the majority” in the article).

That’s before they decreased overall difficulty. Check CoF1 for instance and how average playerbase does it.

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

For a new player or someone coming from WoW, Rift, LotRO Dungeons can seem a little tough and unforgiving.

But that’s just due to the lack of experience and understanding of game-mechanics.

Some of the most common mistakes are:

1. Trying to “tank”. GW2 has no trinity and thus no tanking. All damage should be mitigated/avoided. Nobody should be “tanking” a mob.

2. Don’t run Dungeons in a glass-cannon build (only damage stats)

3. Dodge all the red circles and telegraphed attacks you can.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

And posts like this are the reason they should add proper difficulty levels, like Hard Mode. Dungeons are too hard for some people but too easy for others, shouldn’t they be challenging for everyone?

Posted by: omerk.2709

omerk.2709

The key to survive is to understand you can do 2 things most MMORPGs won’t let you:
1. dodge. use it, plan how to use it so you have enough energy when you need.
2. cast while moving. appart from some specific skills, you can move while casting, statistically, that will get you out of the red circles at least 50 % of the time, before the damage hits the red circle.

Having said that, the 2 mechanics you need to learn don’t make up for knowing the mobs and understanding the fight.

Kohler can be pretty easy if all avoid the pull in mechanic, which is the only real danger in this fight.
If not, this is a kitten hard fight, with 4 ppl downed 80% of the time.

The packs in CoF will be much easier if you get rid of the bombers first.

That’s all require learning. you can’t avoid that.
Dungeons aren’t designed for a first timers group going in one shoting everything.
The learning curve isn’t steep though. it’s not too hard.

Posted by: NewTrain.7549

NewTrain.7549

The OP makes threads like this often and rarely comments any further after creating them. He’s not interested in getting help, guys. He’s not interested in improving. He just wants the content dumbed down.

Posted by: Stigma.7869

Stigma.7869

^ I agree with the above comment.

You reason that dungeons are hard is that you and your group don’t pay attention and learn from monster mechanics and also you don’t read telegraphed attacks.

When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you.

Posted by: Christos de Soufre.3802

Christos de Soufre.3802

This sounds like a player issue, not a dungeon issue.

Chris “Dawnheart” Aerinoh — Revenant, Guardian — Blackgate