To those that level through dungeons.

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Zogyark.4597

Zogyark.4597

I have an ele that will soon reach 35 I’ll probably want to level her through dungeons this time. My question is, how fast do you level?

For example I’ll probably start AC at 35, I know the 3 paths + SM will get me almost 4 levels so that’s good, but how’s the DR after that? Still gain good experience if you repeat the 3 paths? Does story mode still give you good exp if you repeat it? Do you do other dungeons to fight the DR off like CM and TA once you’re able to? And how does it compare to just normal leveling through hearts and DEs. Thank you.

Necromancer Lupicus Solo – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWkSkhmWiDU

Retired Until Expansion or Meaningful Content is Released.

(edited by Zogyark.4597)

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

A dungeon (explorable or story) is 70% of your experience bar.

While leveling I never cleared the same path on the same day, so I’m not too sure about how experience would be affected.
From reading on the wiki it would seem that to avoid DR you simply need to clear the 3 paths in the same order (don’t clear 1 then 2 then 1 again).

Once my character is at the appropriate level I do other dungeons.

Doing dungeons can be fastest way to level if your team can finish it in a nice amount of time (less than 1 hour).
But while you can’t find a team do play, you might as well do events. Unfortunately, I don’t know a lot about event chains in 45-70 zones.

The nice thing about doing dungeons while you level is that by 80 you should have enough tokens and gold to acquire exotic equipment, so plan ahead by looking at the merchants to see which stats combination you want.

Posted by: Ninth Requiem.3250

Ninth Requiem.3250

My engie (3rd char) got the vast bulk of his XP above level 54 from TA explorable. I’m currently in process of leveling my 6th and 7th chars, and while I still use some dungeons for XP, I don’t tend to bother due to increased grouping problems.

Story mode is a poor way to level – they usually take longer than Explorable, and finding a group is much harder.
Annoyingly, due to either misunderstanding downscaling or assuming you’re not going to have the skill to play, most pugs won’t take low level chars (Some do, but in my experience the time lost due to LFG drops efficiency). As a result, you’ll be helped greatly by having some friends who either need the dungeon’s tokens or are raising chars themselves, and ideally be familiar with the dungeon beforehand (not 100% required, but helpful.)

AC is a great one to use; P1 & 2 in particular as they’re really quick even at low levels. Ignore CM; the time required vs XP just isn’t worth it. TA works well, Up-Up especially.
As for DR, forget repeating the same path more than once with the same char the same day. You get some, but it’s not worth the time and effort.

Posted by: Gab Superstar.4059

Gab Superstar.4059

As others have said. It is always 70% of your XP for each completed path. The XP you gain from killing mobs and such is pretty much negligible, so feel free to do the dungeon on a higher level character to make the run much smoother.

As for the DR, I have done the same path twice in a day and the XP was unaffected, while I only received 20 tokens.

Very Good Detectives [VGD]
Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

Posted by: Zogyark.4597

Zogyark.4597

Ok looks like this answers most of my questions, mainly do AC and then TA when unlocked, only thing I’m left wondering is if anyone could confirm if you still get the same amount of experience on repeated paths.

Necromancer Lupicus Solo – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWkSkhmWiDU

Retired Until Expansion or Meaningful Content is Released.

Posted by: Teror.8940

Teror.8940

Great Q. I was wondering the same thing about leveling. My only question, is if people are going to get annoyed if I’m a lvl 45 warrior wanting to get in on AC explorable. People seem to want lvl 80 for explorables so often.

Emerald Fang:
www.emerald-fang.com // PvX/US/AUS/SoS

Posted by: Linguistically Inept.6583

Linguistically Inept.6583

Ok looks like this answers most of my questions, mainly do AC and then TA when unlocked, only thing I’m left wondering is if anyone could confirm if you still get the same amount of experience on repeated paths.

i think you do… i know i did all AC paths three times yesterday on my warr (a few hours apart) and i seemed to ding the same amount of times (but i wasnt really paying much attention – so could be mis-remembering), i believe only tokens have a ‘daily’ bonus (dr sucks though; its best to keep runs an hour or two apart to avoid it-depending on how fast your group can run the dungeon)

Desolation: 80 ranger [Nightwither], 80 necro [Dusk Grimsoul]
80 warr [Blaze Steelsoul], 80 ele [Blaze Nightstrike], 80 mesmer [Grim Shatterwhirl]
80 guard [Dusk Grimlight], 80 engi [Flintgear]

Posted by: Merse Deska.6795

Merse Deska.6795

Great Q. I was wondering the same thing about leveling. My only question, is if people are going to get annoyed if I’m a lvl 45 warrior wanting to get in on AC explorable. People seem to want lvl 80 for explorables so often.

Just do the run with your main (80 exotic) then switch to the lvl 45 at the last boss instead which will make the run quicker than you doing the full run on the 45, just make sure you don’t open the instance or it will reset when you switch chars.

Xplodelicious [YaK]
Gandara

Posted by: Teror.8940

Teror.8940

Just do the run with your main (80 exotic) then switch to the lvl 45 at the last boss instead which will make the run quicker than you doing the full run on the 45, just make sure you don’t open the instance or it will reset when you switch chars.

Ha, now all I need is a lvl 80 character! I guess I should just hope for people to run story modes until I get to lvl 80 I guess.

Emerald Fang:
www.emerald-fang.com // PvX/US/AUS/SoS

Posted by: Merse Deska.6795

Merse Deska.6795

Ha, now all I need is a lvl 80 character! I guess I should just hope for people to run story modes until I get to lvl 80 I guess.

I would suggest leveling your warrior with crafting instead since you don’t have a level 80 but of course it’s your own choice after all and doing ac speedruns are much smoother and quicker with a full 80 (not saying it’s impossible with a group of low levels but it takes much more time), but let’s say you haven’t done any crafting then you could basically get 30 easy levels from maxing out jewelcrafting/artificer and chef. All three are cheap to level for about 2g each though you’ll need some karma recipes for chef which includes a recipe from a lvl 50-60 zone but you could level chef last and gain +20 levels from the other 2 and get 65 quickly then after the remaining 10 levels up to level 75 and from there you’re not far away from your 80 character :p

Xplodelicious [YaK]
Gandara

Posted by: Heylo.4938

Heylo.4938

Personally, I don’t mind. My guild runs with lower level characters all the time. That’s pretty much how I leveled my ele. As soon as she hit 35, I did AC Story. Then crafted up to 40 something. Since then, I’ve pretty much done AC exp and TA exp to hit max level. I’d suggest finding a good dungeoning guild that knows the paths and doesn’t mind teaching you the ropes.

Sickest Guild [NA] Blackgate