Tokens for a legendary? What now?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

Dungeon Tokens- I have many many (many) stacks of these.
I am aiming for legendary Greatsword.

It has been suggested I use these tokens on great swords and then place those in the forge. Now I’m wondering if that’s worth doing. My reasoning is that in future updates A-net may actually make tokens be usable for other things, given that it’s not just me that already has all the gear they want/need.

The math:
390 tokens per Greatsword.
Need 4 Greatswords per forge.
390 × 40 = 1560

So. 1560 tokens for one shot at the precursor which could also result in a Rare Greatsword or an exotic great sword (to my knowledge). Then of course I can either do one of two things: sell the results or use those to further gamble on the precursor in the forge.

Suggestions anyone?

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

Posted by: SiNoS.2147

SiNoS.2147

If you have nothing to use them on right now might as well. Its not like its hard to earn more.

Posted by: Gelroller.2706

Gelroller.2706

I don’t think 26 dungeon runs is worth 1 shot at a precursor..

Posted by: ProAlex.4723

ProAlex.4723

It may sound obvious but try to do the following.
Simple math: compare the time it tages to get these 1.5k tokens and the time it takes to farm gold to buy cheapest exotic greatswords on TP (or materials to craft them if it will be cheaper).
But I don’t think you should even bother with math because it looks like (for me at least) it is just faster to get some gold.

Posted by: Lightrayne.7829

Lightrayne.7829

It depends on your situation of acquiring and storing the tokens, I guess. Dungeon running is already a large part of what I do daily, so I don’t mind tossing greatswords into the forge, since it doesn’t take long until I get another set of tokens for forge tossing. I can’t really sell the rewards anyways, so at its worst, it’s a bit of extra money. I really have no need for my excess tokens at this point and it will create a storage problem if I hoard too many.

swiftpaw.6397

It may sound obvious but try to do the following.
Simple math: compare the time it tages to get these 1.5k tokens and the time it takes to farm gold to buy cheapest exotic greatswords on TP (or materials to craft them if it will be cheaper).
But I don’t think you should even bother with math because it looks like (for me at least) it is just faster to get some gold.

hmm yes I think it takes me about 2 and a half days based on the 26 runs mentioned above. I’m not very good at making money though, I just do dungeons and nothing else
I have tried Cursed Shore in a full MF set/accessories/weapon but I have not had much luck in drops. From dungeons I get 26 silver per complete + boss loot (around 15g) for some of the dungeons. Although that is quite pathetic it seems to be more money than doing the cursed shore because of my poor drops, at least for now. It can be noted I do the dungeons quite quickly. I think my main concern is that I have these tokens just sitting there not doing anything and I’m wondering if I should leave them alone in case all of a sudden they can be used for something else in the future, or just blow them all now. And if I do, whether I should sell the results, or gamble those away too.

Lightrayne.7829

The results I get tend to sell for 1g or more on the TP. I wouldn’t gamble 1g if it would cause some financial problems for whatever it is you need to buy.

Posted by: YaHiKoDrG.3467

YaHiKoDrG.3467

If you are not using the tokens for anything else, and have no need for them(you dont plan to lvl an alt or do not need gear from that vendor) I say go for it and toss the greatswords into the mystic forge. You are turning something that has no value to you into something with value. Either A) you get your precursor and jump for joy, you get an exotic back which you can use to cut down the tokens needed for the next mystic for use or sell they tend to range from 60s-2g, or c) you get a unique skin from the mystic forge and you can sell/use that.

Posted by: Ari Kagura.9182

Ari Kagura.9182

Personally, I’d wait until those Superior Runes from the dungeon vendors become unbound in a future patch. I could have sworn I read a red post about it some time ago.

That way, you can burn your tokens on those and then sell them on the Trading Post. You might make some decent money if the runes have desirable stat combinations.

“I control my fate!” — Claire Farron
I am Fleeting Flash, in-game dungeon cosplayer of Reddit Refugees [RR] .

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

Also bear in mind you get money for each token run. Use the proceeds to buy rares to go alongside your exotic attempts from tokens.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

Lightrayne.7829

Personally, I’d wait until those Superior Runes from the dungeon vendors become unbound in a future patch. I could have sworn I read a red post about it some time ago.

I thought this was for the runes that you get out of the dungeon chests? As far as I can tell, the token vendor items are intended to be soulbound items. Correct me if I’m wrong.

swiftpaw.6397

I thought this was for the runes that you get out of the dungeon chests? As far as I can tell, the token vendor items are intended to be soulbound items. Correct me if I’m wrong.

That’s an interesting thought, I do wonder though if every man and his dog decides to do the same thing though and the runes are then worth nothing (if this were to happen to begin with of course)

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

I’ve done that multiple times but instead of wasting 390tokens x 4 i got the cheapest random weapons (210 tokens each) and mystic forge. Not worth doing but if anet doesn’t add tones of new items to obtain with tokens i say go for it. You’ll be making at least 1g from the mystic forge weapons and i got couple in the 6g range.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

swiftpaw.6397

I’ve done that multiple times but instead of wasting 390tokens x 4 i got the cheapest random weapons (210 tokens each) and mystic forge. Not worth doing but if anet doesn’t add tones of new items to obtain with tokens i say go for it. You’ll be making at least 1g from the mystic forge weapons and i got couple in the 6g range.

Really now? :O ok! XD

When you say stones you mean Mystic forge stones?
and which weps are the 210 tokens each?

SiNoS.2147

The off hands tend to be 210. I know the focus is one of the 210 items.

swiftpaw.6397

Ooooh ok. See I wanted to do the greatswords for that chance at precursor, but the chance is just so slim maybe I should just do focus’s and etc so i can at least make a bit more money. Thanks

SiNoS.2147

Ooooh ok. See I wanted to do the greatswords for that chance at precursor, but the chance is just so slim maybe I should just do focus’s and etc so i can at least make a bit more money. Thanks

Ya that works or if you want you can take the gold you make from those and buy cheap greatswords and do it that way. In the end you would still be using tokens to fund your legendary hunt.

Posted by: Plato.6128

Plato.6128

Just my 2c – already having finished my Twilight. Assuming that you are going for a great sword, I’m assuming that you are running AC. AC in itself is really good cash for a short time investment if you get into a group that knows how to speed run it (all 3 paths finished in combined time of less than an hour). The end boss of a path usually drops what is it 26s (can’t think of it off the top of my head) plus you get the extra silver (22s?) + tokens + karma for finishing the path. Also, you should have plenty of crap to vendor/sell on the TP. Obviously, get your gift of ascalon first, and then buy any tanking armor/weapons that you are missing (or just for fun/trying out different weapon sets!), but after all of this is done I don’t see why you wouldn’t try to forge the GS’s. If you buy the exotics, your results will be exotic (not rare as you suggested), so if you had bad luck keep that resultant and just wait until you get 3 more (which might also be obtained from rare forgings).

If you are running AC solely for the reason to farm tokens for the forge I can see how this might be painful – a long time of saving tokens for a single forge attempt. If you just view it as a quick daily cash cow with the tokens as a by-product it is not bad at all.

Tryndamere Hardrada
[CERN] – Tarnished Coast

swiftpaw.6397

Just my 2c – already having finished my Twilight. Assuming that you are going for a great sword, I’m assuming that you are running AC. AC in itself is really good cash for a short time investment if you get into a group that knows how to speed run it (all 3 paths finished in combined time of less than an hour). The end boss of a path usually drops what is it 26s (can’t think of it off the top of my head) plus you get the extra silver (22s?) + tokens + karma for finishing the path. Also, you should have plenty of crap to vendor/sell on the TP. Obviously, get your gift of ascalon first, and then buy any tanking armor/weapons that you are missing (or just for fun/trying out different weapon sets!), but after all of this is done I don’t see why you wouldn’t try to forge the GS’s. If you buy the exotics, your results will be exotic (not rare as you suggested), so if you had bad luck keep that resultant and just wait until you get 3 more (which might also be obtained from rare forgings).

If you are running AC solely for the reason to farm tokens for the forge I can see how this might be painful – a long time of saving tokens for a single forge attempt. If you just view it as a quick daily cash cow with the tokens as a by-product it is not bad at all.

Oh absolutly yes, I have been doing all paths AC everyday for the money at the end, the tokens are just leftovers you know, I have around 12 stacks of them atm, and a full set of the AC gear and weapons so the tokens are just sitting there per se. I was unaware you could only get exotics from the forge from putting just exotics in, for some reason ( I cannot remember why) I thought there was a chance it could spit out a rare XD
Thanks

Oh and grats on your twilight!

(edited by swiftpaw.6397)

Plato.6128

Don’t give up Mr. Swiftpaw! Legendaries are a total PITA but getting my twilight was so worth it. As a quick tip since you said that you were not making much buck in CS (we also call cursed shore “the office” in our guild), don’t be stingy about using omnomberry bars. The gold pick up buff it gives is actually pretty worth it. The bar (usually 2s or so) should pay for itself in copper drops (usually 50-70c) within a plinx chain if you aoe tag well and have a bit of luck. I used to be cheap and only use peach tarts, but I see the difference. The proceeds add up (plus you get slightly better magic find) and every copper counts in your quest.

Tryndamere Hardrada
[CERN] – Tarnished Coast

swiftpaw.6397

Don’t give up Mr. Swiftpaw! Legendaries are a total PITA but getting my twilight was so worth it. As a quick tip since you said that you were not making much buck in CS (we also call cursed shore “the office” in our guild), don’t be stingy about using omnomberry bars. The gold pick up buff it gives is actually pretty worth it. The bar (usually 2s or so) should pay for itself in copper drops (usually 50-70c) within a plinx chain if you aoe tag well and have a bit of luck. I used to be cheap and only use peach tarts, but I see the difference. The proceeds add up (plus you get slightly better magic find) and every copper counts in your quest.

That’s miss swiftpaw to you!

Oh the bars huh? yes I was being very stingy about it! I was using the tarts! XD I do think my tagging is not very good and I plan to work on that in between my dungeon runs. Everytime I see someone with twilight/dawn it spurs me on to keep trying thanks for the tip <3

Posted by: Demarc.4906

Demarc.4906

Yes he means Mystic Forge stones from the store. You can use 1 stone to replace any other item in the forge, so 3 greatswords and 1 stone will combine. Should cut down the cost in tokens per attempt for you assuming you have a few gold to throw at the cash shop (or a credit card :p )

swiftpaw.6397

Yes he means Mystic Forge stones from the store. You can use 1 stone to replace any other item in the forge, so 3 greatswords and 1 stone will combine. Should cut down the cost in tokens per attempt for you assuming you have a few gold to throw at the cash shop (or a credit card :p )

Oh excellent, yes I have a few of those lying around as well so I’ll definatley toss a few of those in, will save me alotta tokens. As for a credit card.. well that’s what Bf’s are for

Thanks!

Plato.6128

That’s miss swiftpaw to you!

Oh the bars huh? yes I was being very stingy about it! I was using the tarts! XD I do think my tagging is not very good and I plan to work on that in between my dungeon runs. Everytime I see someone with twilight/dawn it spurs me on to keep trying thanks for the tip <3

Lol my bad Miss Swiftpaw! I don’t know what class you are, but if your tagging is not working well, try some different weapons out! Remember that you don’t have to kill mobs on your own, especially if there is a cursed shore zerg going on. I have a guardian and a warrior (twilight is on the warrior). Staff on guardian = win for farming. You can just run around and spam 1 and tag everything with your light wave of win. For warrior, longbow is ok since you can tag a big group with the F1 aoe, and then swap to GS to also aoe with 3. The 2 on longbow is ok aoe is ok but not that impressive for farming.

One more thing, remember that since you have 2 weapon sets, that means you can use 2 different sigils. Use the luck sigil on your secondary weapon, and the flat magic find sigil on your primary weapon. Build the stacks of magic find on the secondary weapon and they still stay even if you are on your primary.

Tryndamere Hardrada
[CERN] – Tarnished Coast

swiftpaw.6397

Oh yes I am a guardian and it appears I have been doing it wrong! yes I was using a greatsword the whole time, it has the MF sigil on it. I will defiantly invest in a staff now. What is the name of the flat magic find sigil? I didnt know there was one :O

Plato.6128

Oh yes I am a guardian and it appears I have been doing it wrong! yes I was using a greatsword the whole time, it has the MF sigil on it. I will defiantly invest in a staff now. What is the name of the flat magic find sigil? I didnt know there was one :O

I just checked my guardian’s farm set and I might have mislead you with some BS lol! I use the accuracy (5% crit) sigil in my staff and a luck (stacking mf) sigil in my farming great sword. Idk why I thought there was a magic find version of the flat.

My mistake aside, PLEASE try the staff, you will love it! Greatsword is an awesome weapon, but staff rules for farming. You will not be the first person I have converted to this point of view :P.

Actually in retrospect, might as well put the luck sigil in the staff too. Sometimes trying to min/max by building the stacks on the GS first is too much of a headache. I think I might just change this on my own set as well.

Tryndamere Hardrada
[CERN] – Tarnished Coast

(edited by Plato.6128)

Posted by: Sera.6539

Sera.6539

Warning: the mystic forge stones can be used as a substitute for the last item, but it does not mean it will act as the same type. AKA 3 greatswords + mystic forge stone = any weapon. I threw 3 daggers and a stone into the forge and got a hammer.

Gelda Nebilim – Nagare [NGE] – Crystal Desert
http://youtube.com/user/Royblazer

Posted by: Lorana.2468

Lorana.2468

for me it makes more sense to just throw in 4 offhand items that cost 210 tokens and chance at getting 1 of the Offhand precursors, which u can then sell and put the gold towards the precursor you want.

you may also want to consider gambling for more than 1 precursor, if your using random weapons you have a chance at ANY precursor, if only greatswords you only have a chance at 2 although your chances for either will be significantly higher.

swiftpaw.6397

‘I just checked my guardian’s farm set and I might have mislead you with some BS lol! I use the accuracy (5% crit) sigil in my staff and a luck (stacking mf) sigil in my farming great sword. Idk why I thought there was a magic find version of the flat.
My mistake aside, PLEASE try the staff, you will love it! Greatsword is an awesome weapon, but staff rules for farming. You will not be the first person I have converted to this point of view :P.
Actually in retrospect, might as well put the luck sigil in the staff too. Sometimes trying to min/max by building the stacks on the GS first is too much of a headache. I think I might just change this on my own set as well.’

Yes I have always avoided the staff like the plague but I have noticed alota people running around with it out there so it must have some merit, I will definatly use that from now on

swiftpaw.6397

for me it makes more sense to just throw in 4 offhand items that cost 210 tokens and chance at getting 1 of the Offhand precursors, which u can then sell and put the gold towards the precursor you want.

you may also want to consider gambling for more than 1 precursor, if your using random weapons you have a chance at ANY precursor, if only greatswords you only have a chance at 2 although your chances for either will be significantly higher.

Yes I was just thinking that actually, good point :P and as started by Sera, if I use stones as well I will be getting a random weapon type anyway.