Tonight's menu: Soup, Steak, or Salad?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: savacli.8172

savacli.8172

A brief summary of the three Food types I’m curious about.

Soups
+Precison
+Ferocity

Steaks
+Power
+Precision

Salads
Chance to gain swiftness on kill
+Damage while in motion

From all the guides I’ve gone through there seems to be a toss up (salad pun not intended) of which Foods to consume for particular classes or instances.

My questions are:

• Is there an end-all-be-all Food per particular class or instance?
  • Is there a significant difference in using the ‘wrong’ food for your class/instance?
  • Is there a large difference in top tier food vs ‘budget’ food?

I realize there’s a lot of variability in builds, infusions, etc. So, I’m looking for more of a generalized answer of what to use when.

Note: I’m not in a hardcore Dungeon guild, but we do strive for fast times and bettering our in-house clear records.

Posted by: Painbow.6059

Painbow.6059

Power precision food comes in all shapes and sizes, ranging from 60 power 50 precision to 100 power 70 precision. This is usually a safe and easy bet for many classes. I would recommend Egg Omlets (2s) for a budget option, steak and asparagus for a midway option (around 9s) and truffle steak (20ish?s) for the most expensive option.

Power ferocity- this food is pretty expensive but effective for classes which are capping critical chance since you don’t need the extra precision. I don’t think there is much of a budget option this way, so I would generally avoid power ferocity food unless you really want to min max.

Salads, I only use salads on necromancer myself, since you can use all the skills while still moving, you can get the full effectiveness out of it. The 10% is very expensive at around 50s+ I think. the 6% is around 2s so pretty cheap, I usually settle for the 8% at around 10s a pop. You can also get 8% potions lasting 10 minutes for about 1.5silver from the FGS drake after an event chain. Due to skills such as icebow I would avoid using this food in all classes but necromancer.

Other foods to note are condition duration foods and friend dumplings. Dumplings are a must have for PS warrior due to the might generation and boon duration to make up for lack in traits, works very well with strength runes. Also dumplings are great for low manning/soloing content on many classes due to might generation. Condition duration food is essential for condition builds, such as condi engi/ranger/guard/war. It can range from cheap to expensive with super veggie pizzas giving slightly less than koi cakes at 40% and not 36% condi duration. Also toxic sharpening stones give an extra 10% condition duration but are very expensive. Also a worthy note despite being very expensive (1G) , spicy beans are great for zerk engineer, at 70 power and 40% condi duration providing power and increasing the overall duration of conditions. You can even use condi food with condi duration on zerk engineer for longer fights where the vulnerability generation is useful.

I’m no min maxer and I got no math behind whats best for each class ect, but you will hardly notice the difference in food unless it is condition duration which impacts condition builds massively or golden dumplings on warrior. Hope this helped a little

savacli.8172

I’m familiar with specific foods such as Pizzas, Dumplings, and such for specific classes and builds. What I’m curious about are the three types of food that I mentioned that seem to be competing when it comes to a typical berserker build.

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

The question you have to ask yourself is how much precision you gonna have with kittens, sigils, traits, blablabla, and if you’re a reflecting class or not.
Warr? go power. Mes? Go prec or power ferocity if you’re touching 100%. Ranger? Uh, probably go prec because you don’t really get close to 100% even w/ spotter. Got ranger runes? don’t go prec. Guard? Prec if you gonna use wor a lot – I prefer power prec, but it’s just me. Teef? go power.
Grab a warr friend by the hair, have him drop a disci kitten for you, and see how much prec you have.
Keep in mind that critchance was nerfed on all classes (so the +50 prec is a lil laughable IMO).

savacli.8172

At the very least I run with a Warrior so check on Disp banner. Rarely, do I have someone to Spot me. Force/night/[dungeon] sigils for the most part on my toons (even Mes). I have all the Stone/oil/crystal recipe variations, but I mostly go with Stones.

On lower level instances I scrap Steaks for the most part since I regularly hit Power Cap.

On Mesmer (Assassin/Berserker) I have been pretty set on Soups since I take the reflect bot for the most part, and the Salad buff doesn’t roll over to my Phants.

I shied away from Salads on my Ele since most of the time I’m rooted with opening bursts only to have the thing I was trying to kill already melted by the time I’m able to move again.

Warrior currently uses Dumplings, but my stash is about to run out and am re-gearing with Strength runes in lieu of buying more Dumplings. Leaning towards Salads on this one since Signet precision stacks keeping my precision pretty high. Though 100B wouldn’t get salad buff…Go with Super soup (Power/Ferocity) ?

Guard has been using Salad since he gets rooted for maybe a second (GS Symbol) on his regular attacks and is mostly a mobile toon.

Engi is on Sini gear (looking to get my Ranger on that as well), but I usually use them for map farming (Silverwastes) so they don’t get much dungeon time. Pizza and crystal galore for these two.

Thief and Necro get very little play time from me so I’m not too concerned with them. Thief is Ferocity happy. Necro = Shroud Crit

Posted by: NikeEU.7690

NikeEU.7690

Warrior currently uses Dumplings, but my stash is about to run out and am re-gearing with Strength runes in lieu of buying more Dumplings. Leaning towards Salads on this one since Signet precision stacks keeping my precision pretty high. Though 100B wouldn’t get salad buff…Go with Super soup (Power/Ferocity)

You should be running Strength Runes and Dumplings. Salad is a waste on warrior, truffle steaks are a waste on warrior, and Soups are more expensive than Dumplings.

[DnT]::Nike::
www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Use Prec + Fero so you can also boost reflect damage of your phantasms against bosses like Bloomjerkerhunger.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

The best dps food is seaweed salad. This applies to all classes unless you get rooted a lot mid combat (ele with meteor shower and ice storm).

But each class is different. Warrior is using phalanx so they would often use food that supplements that. Thief rarely needs precision but they might be using ice storm a lot so they would use sweet and spicy butternut squash soup over salad a lot of the time.

We have pretty extensive food info on the dulfy class guides if that helps. :P

(edited by spoj.9672)

savacli.8172

Oh hey, you guys have updated the guides since I last tread ’em (pre June 23).

Great…now I’m losing a weekend to reading those guides all over again.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

fyi there’s a +8% damage while moving food that you can buy after an event in cursed shore. It only lasts 10 mins, but is pretty cheap at around 1s.

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

fyi there’s a +8% damage while moving food that you can buy after an event in cursed shore. It only lasts 10 mins, but is pretty cheap at around 1s.

Yep.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Experimental_Remnant

savacli.8172

I stocked up plenty of those when I found out about then. But man, 10 minutes goes by way too fast for some reason o.O

So, even though it’s more expensive I generally will go with the crafted salad variants for the extra ‘consume and forget’ feel.

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

The best dps food is seaweed salad. This applies to all classes unless you get rooted a lot mid combat (ele with meteor shower and ice storm).

But each class is different. Warrior is using phalanx so they would often use food that supplements that. Thief rarely needs precision but they might be using ice storm a lot so they would use sweet and spicy butternut squash soup over salad a lot of the time.

Rangers have to be rooted to output their absolute highest DPS. So much for the seaweed salad.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

Rangers have to be rooted to output their absolute highest DPS. So much for the seaweed salad.

This applies to all classes unless you get rooted a lot mid combat (ele with meteor shower and ice storm).

Duuuuuude

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I only eat pies. XD #Pie4Lyfe

Posted by: NikeEU.7690

NikeEU.7690

The most powerful food in the game is Koi Cakes / Rare Veggie Pizza. In terms of DPS increase for the builds that want it, no other food even comes close.

[DnT]::Nike::
www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt