Posted by: Mourningcry.9428

Mourningcry.9428

Definitely options.

Definitely two of them.

Two Options To Make Power Reaper Competitive

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

While reaper could use a few adjustments, I’d rather just see other elite specs nerfed and brought in line with core specs more. This would automatically make Reaper more competitive, and would also remove a lot of power creep from the game.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Would rather see lifesteal changed to be viable and a set that’s basically any of the two combinations to exist in PvE

P/Pre/Ferc/HP

CD/Exp/P/HP

Preferably the 2nd set as something just seems fun about lifesteal stacking with condition damage. It’s not utterly broken since power would be low as would Healing Power but it would allow for Condi-Drain playstyle that relies on siphoning down your targets.

Posted by: Tarasicodissa.7084

Tarasicodissa.7084

…and make Reaper’s Onslaught actually useful…

First and foremost I would remove the stupid and insane cap on IAS. As far as I know IAS effects don’t stack with each other, so if you have quickness on you, Reaper’s Onslaught will only give you ferocity, it won’t increase your attack speed.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

While reaper could use a few adjustments, I’d rather just see other elite specs nerfed and brought in line with core specs more. This would automatically make Reaper more competitive, and would also remove a lot of power creep from the game.

Alot of powercreep has been long gone. Instead of nerfing each elite spec that in a way its fine ( except druid warr ps and chrono… these are broken) They should look to buff core specs like power lb ranger condi guard etc and make a stat set the helps the reaperore while fixing useless trait mechabics the reaper has like lifesteal.

zealex.9410

Would rather see lifesteal changed to be viable and a set that’s basically any of the two combinations to exist in PvE

P/Pre/Ferc/HP

CD/Exp/P/HP

Preferably the 2nd set as something just seems fun about lifesteal stacking with condition damage. It’s not utterly broken since power would be low as would Healing Power but it would allow for Condi-Drain playstyle that relies on siphoning down your targets.

for a power build remove the prec from it and give the spare numbers to the remaining three.

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

they need to add 10% dmg increase for targets within 360 range in the reaper’s onslaught trait because its useless, deathly chill is stronger even on power build. also need to increase the modifier in soul reaping from 5% to 10% (when life force is 50%>) and add somewhere a 5% modifier to chilled foes (probably some minor trait in reaper line)
necro dps is so low because of no modifiers.
Also base gravedigger cd should be reduced by a second or two to increase dps above 50% hp. Maybe with these changes the numbers would be acceptable

(edited by Sublimatio.6981)

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

Honestly I’d rather major prunes to the other classes’ damage ouputs.

In particular, Thief having 10+10+7% modifiers in Daredevil is ridiculous, for what is ostensibly a defense-oriented spec. It’s going to cause serious issues for second ES.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Sublimatio.6981

In particular, Thief having 10+10+7% modifiers in Daredevil is ridiculous, for what is ostensibly a defense-oriented spec. It’s going to cause serious issues for second ES.

you do what you gotta do to sell the DLC :p

TexZero.7910

You can only have one ES though. So it will seldom cause a problem. They’d only see a dps decrease next Elite if they pick anything other than DD unless the other ES is overtuned and gives +20% somewhere else.

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

+10% damage vs chilled foes: add to Chilling Nova.
+5% damage vs bleeding foes: add to Blood Bond.
+10% damage on Greatsword skills: add to Soul Eater.
+10% damage to foes with no boons: buff current Spiteful Talisman damage increase.

Swap a parts of two traits around in Soul Reaping:
Vital Persistance – new 3rd minor trait
+15% life force pool and 50% less shroud degen.
Strength of Undeath – new mid tier major trait
+10% damage whilst inside shroud and 20% recharge reduction on shroud skills.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

OriOri.8724

You can only have one ES though. So it will seldom cause a problem. They’d only see a dps decrease next Elite if they pick anything other than DD unless the other ES is overtuned and gives +20% somewhere else.

You missed his point. Either the next thief elite spec will be even more overpowered than DD is, or DD will be nerfed into the ground to make it more appealing, or no one will run it. That’s the core problem with having elite specs be better than core specs. They are so ridiculously good that to pick something over them will either require massive nerfs to the elite spec (which are warranted), or the other option will have to be even more overpowered.

Both of those are problems.

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

That’s the core problem with having elite specs be better than core specs. They are so ridiculously good that to pick something over them will either require massive nerfs to the elite spec (which are warranted), or the other option will have to be even more overpowered.

That’s the core problem with literally everything.

Given any two specs one of them will invariably be better for a given task.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

Sublimatio.6981

also a big problem is we wont be able to use gs with new elite spec. which means i wont use the new elite spec EVER. not today satan. i hope they unlink weapons from elite specs and just keep specs as traits + mechanic.

OriOri.8724

That’s the core problem with having elite specs be better than core specs. They are so ridiculously good that to pick something over them will either require massive nerfs to the elite spec (which are warranted), or the other option will have to be even more overpowered.

Key words, better for a given task. Yet in general all elite specs are undeniably better than core specs in most tasks/situations, not just specific ones (and its not a close race either, elite specs generally blow base specs away). They still offer too much of everything. Too much offense, combined with ridiculous levels of defense for the most part, and quite a few of them add a lot of mobility as well.

TexZero.7910

Key words, better for a given task. Yet in general all elite specs are undeniably better than core specs in most tasks/situations, not just specific ones (and its not a close race either, elite specs generally blow base specs away). They still offer too much of everything. Too much offense, combined with ridiculous levels of defense for the most part, and quite a few of them add a lot of mobility as well.

and then there’s engineer and ranger….

It all comes down to playstyle and opportunity cost. As long as there’s only 3 choices to be made and more than 3 options, there’s always going to be some defunct trait line somewhere.

OriOri.8724

That’s 2 of 9. The others are almost always undeniably better than core specs, which is a huge problem still. Saying that druid and scrapper are in a better spot is a weak argument against not nerfing elite specs to be in line with core specs

Crinn.7864

That’s 2 of 9. The others are almost always undeniably better than core specs, which is a huge problem still. Saying that druid and scrapper are in a better spot is a weak argument against not nerfing elite specs to be in line with core specs

The problem however is for some classes the elites are “mandatory” because of the elite fixing massive design flaws that the core class had. Flaws that could not be fixed any other way.

Necro is a good example of this. Core necro was for basically the entire history of gw2 a walking balance problem. Necro was perpetually struggling with viability, and the reason for that was how dysfunctional core shroud was along with general lack of synergy among skills.
Reaper for necro is a lynchpin that pulls all the otherwise unsynergistic traits together and turns the class into something that is actually competitive, and engaging to play.

YouTube

OriOri.8724

I know, chrono is the same way for mesmer. Elites should never have been used as a bandaid “fix” for class design problems, but they were. That does not however mean that they need to be so much better than core traitlines.

Posted by: Oldirtbeard.9834

Oldirtbeard.9834

Until they fix us I’ve moved on with my wallet to other MMOs such as ESO and sometimes WoW, used to spend $50 plus a month on gems but I’m sure the big spenders that really keep the lights on dwarf me realistically.

zealex.9410

You missed his point. Either the next thief elite spec will be even more overpowered than DD is, or DD will be nerfed into the ground to make it more appealing, or no one will run it. That’s the core problem with having elite specs be better than core specs. They are so ridiculously good that to pick something over them will either require massive nerfs to the elite spec (which are warranted), or the other option will have to be even more overpowered.

or you know th next elite spec will be strong in a diff way maybe condi tank healer buffer or w/e

zealex.9410

I know, chrono is the same way for mesmer. Elites should never have been used as a bandaid “fix” for class design problems, but they were. That does not however mean that they need to be so much better than core traitlines.

the thing with chrono is that the elite spec played on its strenghts being a better support which was mesmer’s job before the expac so ofc it would be a great addition but they can introduce elite specs that buff other aspects of a class its dmg is healing etc.

OriOri.8724

or you know th next elite spec will be strong in a diff way maybe condi tank healer buffer or w/e

Still run into problems with needing it to be OP as hell or nerf the existing elite specs into the ground first. If you just look at DD then sure, a condi healer/buffer would be a different playstyle. But how would it compete with chrono or druid? Druid can heal the entire party, while offering at least a 10% damage boost (I’m ignoring spirits), so if the next thief spec was healing oriented, it would have to bring something that could surpass this buff to parties, which means it would be OP as hell to even be considered. If it was a buffer class, then it would have to compete with chrono, which can provide near permanent alacrity and quickness to the entire raid group by themselves (permanent quickness and alacrity with 2 chronos) on top of tanking the boss. So, a buffer elite spec for the thief would have to compete with extremely high quickness and alacrity uptime to be seriously considered as a buffing class.

This is the fundamental problem with elite specs being so much better than core specs. It almost necessitates all future ones being even more powerful or they won’t be used.

zealex.9410

Still run into problems with needing it to be OP as hell or nerf the existing elite specs into the ground first. If you just look at DD then sure, a condi healer/buffer would be a different playstyle. But how would it compete with chrono or druid? Druid can heal the entire party, while offering at least a 10% damage boost (I’m ignoring spirits), so if the next thief spec was healing oriented, it would have to bring something that could surpass this buff to parties, which means it would be OP as hell to even be considered. If it was a buffer class, then it would have to compete with chrono, which can provide near permanent alacrity and quickness to the entire raid group by themselves (permanent quickness and alacrity with 2 chronos) on top of tanking the boss. So, a buffer elite spec for the thief would have to compete with extremely high quickness and alacrity uptime to be seriously considered as a buffing class.

This is the fundamental problem with elite specs being so much better than core specs. It almost necessitates all future ones being even more powerful or they won’t be used.

the issue with druid isnt that its a strong spec its that it has an unhealthy gm trait for both you can introduce other elite specs that fill other niches guard that gives quickness with sympols and give gotl to other healing specs or nerf it while you give other competitive options to the classes (a dps mesmer which is desperately needed and a dps ranger )

Posted by: Tanuk.7961

Tanuk.7961

Shouldn’t an Elite Spec be undeniably better than a core spec? Otherwise it would just be another core spec.

Evan Lesh:The matchmaker just prefers to put
doodoo heads with doodoo heads. It doesn’t
change the skill level of doodoo heads you’re playing against.

OriOri.8724

Shouldn’t an Elite Spec be undeniably better than a core spec? Otherwise it would just be another core spec.

They were originally sold as horizontal progression, so ideally they wouldn’t be any more powerful than a core traitline is. Ideally, for me, all 5 traitlines would be just as powerful depending on what role you wanted to play with your class. But balance that perfect is effectively impossible, so I’d settle for elite spec lines being on the same level as the most powerful core traitlines for each class. This would also mean changing elite specs so that they can’t do everything (offense/defense/mobility/support), since no core trailine has the ability to offer all of those at the same time.

Posted by: thetwothousand.5049

thetwothousand.5049

I was thinking about this the other day, and I really think the answer to making Power Reaper viable is Deathly Chill.

Now bear with me, there are really two problems with Reaper as a spec. The first is it was explicitly designed as a power dps spec and is horrible at it. The second is that its actually a really competitive condi line, solely because of Deathly Chill. This is a problem because someday, and if leaks are to be believed its going to be soon, anet will want to make a condi based elite spec for necro. When that happens the very first thing that will happen is Deathly Chill getting nerfed to hell-trash, they cant have an old spec being competitive with what the new spec is trying to do.

So instead of just nerfing Deathly Chill so Reaper isn’t competing in something its not suppose to be good at, lets change it. Tackle both problems at the same time by switching Deathly Chill from stacking bleeds on chill to direct damage on chill, similar to Pulmonary Impact. This gives power Reaper an actually useful GM trait in pve, will do a lot to bring up the DPS of greatsword and power shroud, and frees up space to bring Blood Magic for utility/wells. Slap a 10s ICD on the new Deathly Chill in sPVP so it doesn’t go bananas and things are looking pretty good for Reaper.

Posted by: Vitali.5039

Vitali.5039

Slap a 10s ICD on the new Deathly Chill in sPVP so it doesn’t go bananas and things are looking pretty good for Reaper.

I hope they’ll don’t do it: even 2sec icd would destroy the means of the ice-whirl

Crinn.7864

Slap a 10s ICD on the new Deathly Chill in sPVP so it doesn’t go bananas and things are looking pretty good for Reaper.

I hope they’ll don’t do it: even 2sec icd would destroy the means of the ice-whirl

Yeah the shroud finisher synergy was something that is clearly designed in

YouTube

zealex.9410

They were originally sold as horizontal progression, so ideally they wouldn’t be any more powerful than a core traitline is. Ideally, for me, all 5 traitlines would be just as powerful depending on what role you wanted to play with your class. But balance that perfect is effectively impossible, so I’d settle for elite spec lines being on the same level as the most powerful core traitlines for each class. This would also mean changing elite specs so that they can’t do everything (offense/defense/mobility/support), since no core trailine has the ability to offer all of those at the same time.

Idk i dont recall elite specs not being sold as more powerful traitlines but if you say so. The issue with the elite specs of gen 1 was that they were doing too many diff things instead of focushing in 1 area of what the class can do theres also the issue of just changing gear sets allows for various builds within the elite specs. If it were on me i would make elite specs focus on 1 aspect of the class and amplify that one instead of having many niche things an elite spec can do.

zealex.9410

ehh either that or rentroduce the condi cap but one of 2 things needs to happen

Crinn.7864

They where talking about turning DC into a PI type power attack nothing to do with condis.

Also this isn’t WvW. Please take your necro salt to the appropriate subforum.

YouTube

zealex.9410

They where talking about turning DC into a PI type power attack nothing to do with condis.

what salt? And yes makin git like PI could deff make power reaper more viable but it would kill the condi build at the spot

(edited by zealex.9410)

Vitali.5039

edit: i have misread

(edited by Vitali.5039)

Crinn.7864

what salt? And yes makin git like PI could deff make power reaper more viable but it would kill the condi build at the spot

your suggestion of reintroducing the condi cap would kill condi necro on the spot.

And I know it’s WvW necro salt because WvW’ers are the only people suggest condi nerfs in this meta.

YouTube

Posted by: felincyriac.5981

felincyriac.5981

3 stacks of bleed every time you apply a chill is too much, you need at least a 100 second ICD on that, get on it devs.

Posted by: thetwothousand.5049

thetwothousand.5049

Which is a good thing. The only reason condi reaper is good is because of that one trait, and Reaper is not suppose to be a condi spec! Its crazy to think they will not make a new condi elite spec, so there is no way they’ll keep a competitive condi reaper build around that only works because of one trait.

By making Deathly Chill direct damage we’ll get some actual purity of purpose, and give a badly needed buff to PvE power necro.

zealex.9410

your suggestion of reintroducing the condi cap would kill condi necro on the spot.

And I know it’s WvW necro salt because WvW’ers are the only people suggest condi nerfs in this meta.

you need to think outside of 1 gamee mode no it would not kill necro if the max condis you could have on someone are 30 stacks or so of each condi and their talk also included pvp and for pvp and wvw was my suggestion of the cap

Vitali.5039

you need to think outside of 1 gamee mode no it would not kill necro if the max condis you could have on someone are 30 stacks or so of each condi and their talk also included pvp and for pvp and wvw was my suggestion of the cap

At the moment WvW share the same balance with PvE and the PvP version only give one bleed.. I don’t think that condi cap it’s really needed..

OriOri.8724

Which is a good thing. The only reason condi reaper is good is because of that one trait, and Reaper is not suppose to be a condi spec! Its crazy to think they will not make a new condi elite spec, so there is no way they’ll keep a competitive condi reaper build around that only works because of one trait.

By making Deathly Chill direct damage we’ll get some actual purity of purpose, and give a badly needed buff to PvE power necro.

Careful what you wish for. Engineers got some changes in the name of “purity of purpose” and it hasn’t worked out that well for them.

zealex.9410

Careful what you wish for. Engineers got some changes in the name of “purity of purpose” and it hasn’t worked out that well for them.

Id prefer purity of purpose on reaper at least then you can know what apect of it is weak and you can buff accordigly and it also make the spec powercreeping the class in 1 way. I believe thats what you wanted.