I’m type 3: I’d only stay if it was water

me 3.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Two types of people in high fractals

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

It’s actually called swamp. And the time it takes to roll it is significantly less than doing harpy, ascalon, and possibly the same amount Of time as underwater tho a lot of people don’t like underwater or don’t have the AR for it. So if you want to do an extra 15-20 mins in your run then don’t roll swamp. And to be brutally honest if you don’t bother to do that you most likely don’t know or don’t bother with the other little things that make fractals go faster or easier.
Some examples:
Mesmer using focus pulls to stack mobs in ascalon, uncategorized, dredge etc.
Warrior using signet of might on shaman to immobilize it in the bubble with LB 5
Stacking might stacking vulnerability
Group stacking at Mai and knowing how to survive
Logging in and out at Mai if fully dead
Dodging shamans fire arrows
Zerker gear
This could go on an on….

There’s so many little things that add up to a lot of time and can make the difference between a fractal in 50ish minutes to a fractal run in almost 2 hours where people are always wiping because I’m the only dodging shaman Fire arrows. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion but as a fractal vet dealing with people who don’t want to bother to make the run at least a little shorter really isn’t worth the effort.

Edit: #Type1Proud. and I would like to dedicate this post to the Warriors who refuse to run war banner when I am running PS with full 25 might stack up time and Ele’s permanent fury

(edited by Andraus.3874)

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

It’s actually called Swampland. And the time it takes to roll it is significantly less than doing Uncategorized, Urban Battlegrounds, and possibly the same amount Of time as Aquatic Ruins tho a lot of people don’t like Aquatic Ruins or don’t have the AR for it. So if you want to do an extra 15-20 mins in your run then don’t roll Swampland. And to be brutally honest if you don’t bother to do that you most likely don’t know or don’t bother with the other little things that make fractals go faster or easier.

Fixed.

Posted by: Sarahfull.4930

Sarahfull.4930

It’s actually called Swampland. And the time it takes to roll it is significantly less than doing Uncategorized, Urban Battlegrounds, and possibly the same amount Of time as Aquatic Ruins tho a lot of people don’t like Aquatic Ruins or don’t have the AR for it. So if you want to do an extra 15-20 mins in your run then don’t roll Swampland. And to be brutally honest if you don’t bother to do that you most likely don’t know or don’t bother with the other little things that make fractals go faster or easier.

Fixed.

Adorable.

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

Fixed.

Adorable.

pretty true though

Posted by: Lorgus.6148

Lorgus.6148

Setting: non jungle fractal, Fractal #1

Type #1: Hey is this fractal 2?

Me: fractal 1

Type #1: roll jungle

Me: Nah, this fractal is fine

Type #1: leaves

Type #2: Hey is this fractal 2?

Type 2: Cool stays

Wow apparently there is a jungle fractal that I’ve never heard of.
I guess you learn something new everyday!

Posted by: Nyx.7342

Nyx.7342

These are such bad categories…

These are the two types of people in fractals nowadays:

Gets Mossman

Type #1: Stack here and don’t CC. I’ll pull Mossman into the water.

Gets Mossman

Type #2: Let’s fight him on land! Its faster and its relatively easy

Rest of the Group Kicks

Posted by: Adonai.4230

Adonai.4230

What is easier about fighting Mossman on land? Legitimate question btw

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

Actually ARE is 2 types: carryers and carried

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Remembering efficient underwater damage rotations is hard! :b (not at all in support of exploit usage, though I do sometimes play with those that do it /shrug)

Posted by: Lendruil.9061

Lendruil.9061

Remembering efficient underwater damage rotations is hard! :b (not at all in support of exploit usage, though I do sometimes play with those that do it /shrug)

When a party is fighting mossman underwater, i instantly leave, because it’s a true sign that the group is full of bads.

Skuldin - No Hesitation [hT]

Jerus.4350

When a party is fighting mossman underwater, i instantly leave, because it’s a true sign that the group is full of bads.

Or Lazies >.<
Again, not in support of the usage, but I do have a group of friends that use every little trick they can to make it easy and I run with them from time to time.

Nyx.7342

Its not easier, i said the fight is relatively easy. Mossman really isnt too bad and its soooo much faster on land than in water and its actually fun

Posted by: Adonai.4230

Adonai.4230

I’ve only done the fight on land. Never thought of pulling him underwater. I thought I was missing something, like maybe it was better to pull him on dry land (instead of shallow water that is still considered land) for some odd reason.

Thanks for clearing that up though

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Its not easier, i said the fight is relatively easy. Mossman really isnt too bad and its soooo much faster on land than in water and its actually fun

Unless people are constantly running away and keeping Mossman stealthed for longer than he needs to be, it’s truly a sign of laziness to do Mossman underwater. It isn’t even faster.

Either way, I don’t see what’s wrong with the type of person who leaves. At least they didn’t kick you out of your own fractal.

Some people are just in it for the quick rewards. It’s in every MMO, except other MMO’s create encounter and combat mechanics that server more as a deterrent than the current GW2 design.

Just look at WoW, though. What are ilv requirements if not demands for better likelihood of higher DPS to speed up an encounter or brute force it through mistakes.

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

Is this a surprise? does anyone actually like fractals? idk about anyone else but after doing hundreds and hundreds of runs and getting a single ascended drop i can say that i want to get in and get out in the fastest way possible.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Jerus.4350

Is this a surprise? does anyone actually like fractals? idk about anyone else but after doing hundreds and hundreds of runs and getting a single ascended drop i can say that i want to get in and get out in the fastest way possible.

Me and like a dozen friends love fractals and do them daily just to screw around, hell we spent a few hours last night just exploring maps for fun.

Nyx.7342

Me and like a dozen friends love fractals and do them daily just to screw around, hell we spent a few hours last night just exploring maps for fun.

Honestly fractals are probably the best content in the game right now. I used to hate them because of the rewards but rewards become boring after a while and its all about challenges. I love me sum fractals!

Jerus.4350

Honestly fractals are probably the best content in the game right now. I used to hate them because of the rewards but rewards become boring after a while and its all about challenges. I love me sum fractals!

Exactly, I still am a little annoyed by the tiny enemies (sometimes impossible to see animations) and the random factors, but overall I find it very fun content, much better than most dungeons, and I’d even put it above Arah for me right now, though still much love for arah

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

See this i can understand, but that seems more about having fun with friends than exciting fractals. Do you enjoying pugging as much?

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

Setting: non jungle fractal, Fractal #1

Type #1: Hey is this fractal 2?

Type #1: roll jungle

Me: Nah, this fractal is fine

Type #1: leaves

Type #2: Hey is this fractal 2?

Type 2: Cool stays

I’m type 3: I’d only stay if it was water

I’m type 4, like my guildies. Roll with whatever is first. It’s much more fun doing combinations of Uncategorised/Urban/Cliffisde/Lava/Dredge than just the boring easy ones.

Posted by: IllegalChocolate.6938

IllegalChocolate.6938

If the group can’t do Mossman effectively most often than not, its a sign of things to come.

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

The one that leads and the ones who follow. The carrier and carried(s). The shepherd and the sheep. The bearer of the one true ring and the Hobbits. Harvey Specter and his lackeys.

Basically those two kinds of people in fractals

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: Ryn.6459

Ryn.6459

Warrior using signet of might on shaman to immobilize it in the bubble with LB 5

Can you elaborate that (the signet of might thing)? I use bolas and LB5… Signet of might?

Learning English, any correction is very welcome.

insanemaniac.2456

might makes it unblockable, so your immobs go through his shield and actually immob him

Ryn.6459

Oh my I’m dumb. Nice, I just realized I have being carried for so long.
By the way, is this also happening when I use frozen ground or any chill for the matter?

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Frozen ground is already unblockable. Same as dark path and reaper of grenth.

Signet of might does not make allies attacks unblockable. It only helps the warrior.

(edited by spoj.9672)

Ryn.6459

Ok, so I am only dumb on my war. Good to know at least :P

EDIT: Just to show how unlearned I am. I am reading about unblockable skills.
Can static field or unsteady ground also be used on shaman’s bubble? Or It depends on defiance stacks?

(edited by Ryn.6459)

insanemaniac.2456

depends on defiance, but itll remove a stack if it cant stun since it is unblockable

engi glue bomb (and glue shot but who uses p/p), ranger muddy terrain are other good ones to use too

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Magnetic Grasp is unblockable. It is an immobilization with a short CD.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: Shinki.8045

Shinki.8045

If the group can’t do Mossman effectively most often than not, its a sign of things to come.

Amen.

Pre-Fractured Mossman was a definite litmus test for the group since stealth hatchets could easily kill. This is holdover from a different time but watching group members wipe on Mossy (or legendary imbued Shaman) as he is now makes me wince at how easy PUGs have it now.

Besides exploiting being distasteful, Mossy is actually an interesting fight that can tell you a lot about the competency of your team.

Posted by: Veckna.9621

Veckna.9621

I’d actually do the categories differently.

1. Those who hide behind Rocky

2. The hipsters that have learned how to max melee

Posted by: OrianZeta.1537

OrianZeta.1537

It’s actually called swamp. And the time it takes to roll it is significantly less than doing harpy, ascalon, and possibly the same amount Of time as underwater tho a lot of people don’t like underwater or don’t have the AR for it.

[/snip]

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion but as a fractal vet dealing with people who don’t want to bother to make the run at least a little shorter really isn’t worth the effort.

Doesn’t make sense that people wouldn’t want Aquatic because not enough AR, when (in my experience) most groups roll Swamp and pull Mossman. Swamp is just short and simple.

As for those who “don’t bother” to make runs faster, first you have to learn faster/smarter ways. Until something comes along and shows it, one doesn’t have a reason to read up and change builds, if it’s working.

Just as a general rule, when you pug you give up a lot of argument about how other people play. You chose to roll the dice; it’s silly to get twisted up about not seeing speed-strats from randoms.

I pug because I have to, but I see three types: the good, the bad, the ugly. The good and bad are good people of different skill levels, and the ugly are people that suck no matter their skill, it’s their attitudes. Not directed at anyone here, of course.

(edited by OrianZeta.1537)

insanemaniac.2456

Doesn’t make sense that people wouldn’t want Aquatic because not enough AR, when (in my experience) most groups roll Swamp and pull Mossman. Swamp is just short and simple.

yes it does. jellyfish attacks back.

Posted by: ThyShadowPaladin.9521

ThyShadowPaladin.9521

I’m Type 1 all the way. Not rolling swamp usually if not always signifies that the team doesnt know what they’re doing and I don’t bother with them cause they end up needing to be carried throughout most of the run(bad tactics, builds, gear, now knowing how to play their class to benefit the team -Rifle warrior/P/P Thief, etc). There are the occasional exceptions (very very rare)

After your first few hundred runs, it should be easy to tell which teams to join/stay in from the first 10-20 seconds of the first fight / their actions.

Posted by: OrianZeta.1537

OrianZeta.1537

40 and 50 instabilities gives you agony regardless, no?

insanemaniac.2456

40 and 50 instabilities gives you agony regardless, no?

yeah, but sitting at -10 ar is ok for a couple minutes if nothing else is damaging you… the lights and the little jellies are gonna make you ded

i know this cuz my leeching rifle has no ar and pugs are lazy :P