Un kitten Hodgkins

Un kitten Hodgkins

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

2 kitten times we get to scepter room, 2 kitten times he bugs and doesn’t trigger the script to proceed. This is absurd and an absolute waste of time for the people involved. No, we didn’t skip mobs in the way save for Kohler.

This needs to stop, or just change your design model to player initiated progression inside a dungeon. I’m tired of wasting time on bugged NPC’s.

Un kitten Hodgkins

Posted by: chrisdeans.2739

chrisdeans.2739

I was in that group. Thanks a lot anet for the waste of time.
Somehow half of the time i’ve spent since I was 80 felt like a waste of time (halloween event was the summit of this)

Un kitten Hodgkins

Posted by: Meszarlock.4783

Meszarlock.4783

i wasthere too .. this the 3-4 time for this happens kill hodgins or get another npc i dont know but this is getting annoying..

Un kitten Hodgkins

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

I find he’s less likely to bug if you don’t skip mobs.. he still can bug but over the course of my runs I have noticed that if you don’t skip things, it’s less likely to happen.

Edit: Also the asura Tzark can bug at the chest before the door that leads to the tunnel the end boss Colossus Rumblus.. the door doesnt open and if you waypoint over the boss just isn’t there O_o. This has happened twice to me but not recently. I would say about 20 runs ago.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

(edited by swiftpaw.6397)

Un kitten Hodgkins

Posted by: Humposaurus.5764

Humposaurus.5764

Stopping skipping the trash will solve this problem.

Un kitten Hodgkins

Posted by: chrisdeans.2739

chrisdeans.2739

no. Once again I dont see why people that know the dungeons well should be penalized

Un kitten Hodgkins

Posted by: Dulon.9347

Dulon.9347

If you know the dungeon well, you know he is more likely to bug if you skip those
enemies.

Why take the extra risk of redoing the whole thing in order to save 1 minute?

Un kitten Hodgkins

Posted by: Renegade.6325

Renegade.6325

Ive run Hodgins path about 50 times. Ive never skipped Kholer AND ive never had it bug.

Un kitten Hodgkins

Posted by: OnionXI.6735

OnionXI.6735

I think this notion that if you don’t skip it won’t bug is simply a myth. Back when it was commonplace to kill Kohler and clear trash this bug would happen to me consistently. In fact, it was 6 runs of path 1 fully clearing all trash and events before I ever saw this path work correctly.

I’ve had much better luck with this path since then, only seeing the bug about 2 times in the last month and my groups have all skipped trash and Kohler.

Un kitten Hodgkins

Posted by: Dulon.9347

Dulon.9347

Something causes the npc to bug somehow, maybe just by entering the room.

There’s probably some kind of internal logic in place that tries to restore the npc into
a working state. If you skip stuff, it’s much more likely that that logic fails too.
It could just check for spider event, kholer and all other things that come after it in
the order you normally encounter them in the dungeon. Once one of those events
isn’t completed it stops further checks because the logic assumes that’s where you are
in the dungeon now.

This might not be the exact cause, but a possible scenario.

My point is:
There is some standard behavior and order of events that were expected by the
programmer and the farther away the state of your instance is from that behavior the
higher the risk of failing logic segments.

Un kitten Hodgkins

Posted by: Albane.8367

Albane.8367

Scripted event, you skipped a part of the script and you are mad it stopped working.

The problem doesn’t sound like a design flaw.

Un kitten Hodgkins

Posted by: Robert Hrouda.1327

Robert Hrouda.1327

Content Designer

Next

2 kitten times we get to scepter room, 2 kitten times he bugs and doesn’t trigger the script to proceed. This is absurd and an absolute waste of time for the people involved. No, we didn’t skip mobs in the way save for Kohler.

This needs to stop, or just change your design model to player initiated progression inside a dungeon. I’m tired of wasting time on bugged NPC’s.

Kholer being skipped has nothing to do with it, and neither should random mobs. This bug is fairly hard to track down, but we are aware of it. If you could, could you either post/message me a more detailed description of what was going on when he bugged out (and the moments leading up to it)? It would help us in perhaps identifying what is wrong.

But as other people have said, this doesn’t always happen. I’ve ran Hodgin’s path maybe 4-6 times and haven’t been able to reproduce the issue on the live game. I can understand the frustration though, and I’m sincerely sorry you’ve run into this bug.

Un kitten Hodgkins

Posted by: anniehathaway.8946

anniehathaway.8946

Detha Trembletoes in path 2 tends to bug out at the final boss in path 2 as well. And yes we’ve killed graveling burrow near priory camp, queen spider, 4 high hp spiders, oozes, and skipped khoeler. Though i’ve tried many various combinations of skipping some n killing some, still unable to find a conclusion as to why these Hodgins/Detha stuck bugs appear. Also tried waypointing whole team back, killing and ressing NPC.

Just want to say that I farm AC 12 times a day on some diff characters, and as a customer, I’m not pleased with this. I do serveral other dungeons as well. Dungeons(most of them) are really buggy and need a lot of work. The NPC AI is extremely stupid, they tend to do things the team doesn’t want them to do.

Some things you need to work on are:
1. NPC just following the person who created the instance
2. Instance dont get reset if creator leaves party/switch toons
3. Party mates unable to re-enter dungeon if they disconnect during a 3min/3hrs new build announcement
4. The famous “instance stuck as no progress in cutscenes/NPC bugs” which waste a lot of people’s time.

Un kitten Hodgkins

Posted by: Alur.7510

Alur.7510

Detha Trembletoes in path 2 tends to bug out at the final boss in path 2 as well. And yes we’ve killed graveling burrow near priory camp, queen spider, 4 high hp spiders, oozes, and skipped khoeler. Though i’ve tried many various combinations of skipping some n killing some, still unable to find a conclusion as to why these Hodgins/Detha stuck bugs appear. Also tried waypointing whole team back, killing and ressing NPC.

Just want to say that I farm AC 12 times a day on some diff characters, and as a customer, I’m not pleased with this. I do serveral other dungeons as well. Dungeons(most of them) are really buggy and need a lot of work. The NPC AI is extremely stupid, they tend to do things the team doesn’t want them to do.

Some things you need to work on are:
1. NPC just following the person who created the instance
2. Instance dont get reset if creator leaves party/switch toons
3. Party mates unable to re-enter dungeon if they disconnect during a 3min/3hrs new build announcement
4. The famous “instance stuck as no progress in cutscenes/NPC bugs” which waste a lot of people’s time.

I do agree in every single word with this guy, my guild is running all days dungeons, but lately on not so much anymore since they bug out to frequently now, then cause of that, no reward, time loss, the fun stops and people just logs off.

Main reasons of this are always the NPC’s, either you make them invulnerable through all instances or this will continue, cause that’s the main problem, once they die they start to cut out their conversation and stop triggering the events or next phases.

After so long seeing such things in every instance still standing doesn’t make any of us happy at all :/, thanks for working on them though.

Un kitten Hodgkins

Posted by: Lemon.4903

Lemon.4903

Kholer being skipped has nothing to do with it, and neither should random mobs. This bug is fairly hard to track down, but we are aware of it. If you could, could you either post/message me a more detailed description of what was going on when he bugged out (and the moments leading up to it)? It would help us in perhaps identifying what is wrong.

But as other people have said, this doesn’t always happen. I’ve ran Hodgin’s path maybe 4-6 times and haven’t been able to reproduce the issue on the live game. I can understand the frustration though, and I’m sincerely sorry you’ve run into this bug.

There is also another Hodgins bug that I thought I would mention as this topic has you r attention; if after getting all the scepter pieces, you run toward the howling king through the under tunnels before Hodgins has finished his dialogue, the objective doesnt update and the Howling King doesnt spawn. Never had the bug that the OP posted, but this one has happened a couple of times.

Un kitten Hodgkins

Posted by: Robert Hrouda.1327

Previous

Robert Hrouda.1327

Content Designer

There is also another Hodgins bug that I thought I would mention as this topic has you r attention; if after getting all the scepter pieces, you run toward the howling king through the under tunnels before Hodgins has finished his dialogue, the objective doesnt update and the Howling King doesnt spawn. Never had the bug that the OP posted, but this one has happened a couple of times.

I don’t always post in each individual thread, but I am watchful of section of the forum. Thanks for reporting, but please don’t hold back from posting under the assumption nobody will see it

Un kitten Hodgkins

Zenith.7301

Your PM inbox was full, so I’ll post the text here:

I don’t know if it is tied to the troll random DE, because we do skip that troll. We made our trek to the scepter room, and even killed the oozes and ravagers in the way. We walked to the far end to the room and even up the stairs in front of the door to see if Hodgkins initiated, but he just followed us normally.

The first time he bugged out for us we had skipped the Spider Queen and skelks up the trap tunnel. The second time we killed everything and he still bugged. On both runs we got the troll random DE.

Sometimes if a PuG aggroes, we jump into the water in the center where Kholer is to skip the troll or skelks. Don’t know if that might affect him. People are also waypointing before he finishes his speech after the burrow kills to grab the scepter — maybe that has something to do with it, jumping the gun.

Un kitten Hodgkins

Posted by: Strifey.7215

Strifey.7215

Ive run Hodgins path about 50 times. Ive never skipped Kholer AND ive never had it bug.

I’ve run the path about 50 times, skipped Kholer and all trash everytime, and only seen it bug once. It’s not because of him or trash, it just happens once in a while.

Guard/War/Mesmer and Dungeon Guides:
https://www.youtube.com/user/strife025

Un kitten Hodgkins

Posted by: Delsabre.5934

Delsabre.5934

Usually skip Kholer, always going the same path. So far Hodgins seems to have a 33% chance to bug at the room before the 5 scepter pieces. Haven’t really seen him bug before that part.

Haven’t tested it 100%, but Detha seems to bug if she dies during the trap event and you kill the breeder after she’s dead. The event is listed as complete and you get a new objective and can’t restart the trap event that really failed.

Un kitten Hodgkins

Posted by: Plato.6128

Plato.6128

As I note, and I don’t know if someone already addressed this (a lot of replies to this post), getting Hodgins killed can reset him in terms of his being bugged, although I can’t say if this is a 100% solution. As an example, a few runs ago we got to the door before collecting the scepter pieces, and Hodgins was just standing there and wouldn’t open the door/continue with the event. We pulled a nearby graveling pack into him and let him die. Upon ressing him he started the event to collect pieces and opened the door. I hope that this helps.

Tryndamere Hardrada
[CERN] – Tarnished Coast

Un kitten Hodgkins

Zenith.7301

Nope, didn’t reset him for me.

Un kitten Hodgkins

Posted by: Nemui.6753

Nemui.6753

i had this happen to my group yesterday. the objective just stays “enter the tunnels”, or whatever it is you’re supposed to enter directly before it updates to “defeat the howling king”.
when we went into the tunnels, nothing happened. we ran around the instance for a while, killed a few of the breeders in the boss room, but the howling king himself just wouldn’t spawn, the event was stuck. so we just had to give up. very frustrating to waste all this time.
at least it only takes about half an hour to get a group together for AC on my server, it’s way worse for most other dungeons. i wish we had a global lfg channel or something.. so we wouldn’t actually have to wait around to have fun, as colin promised way back when.

Un kitten Hodgkins

Posted by: redknight.8036

redknight.8036

Just place an interactive object for the party to start an event when they enter certain spots. Press F – Are you ready to start the next event? Yes/No?

It’s a nice placeholder fix while you sort out this ‘hard to track’ issue with AIs pathing and such.

Un kitten Hodgkins

Posted by: iMav.7869

iMav.7869

I think the bug occurs when hodgins doesn’t hit the boss.

Meaning if the boss screams and instakills hodgins or at the start of hodgins goes off and fights a breeder that you ignored then the dungeon will not complete because hodgins never hit the boss.

Un kitten Hodgkins

Posted by: AsteriskCGY.5931

AsteriskCGY.5931

Nope, just had Hodgins fight the boss and still bugged at the end. He was hitting the boss but died mid fight. I rez’d him and now I’m shot 60 tokens.

Un kitten Hodgkins

Posted by: AsteriskCGY.5931

AsteriskCGY.5931

Annnnnd was fixed by someone killing that last breeder in the boss area. Try that next time.

Un kitten Hodgkins

Posted by: Ethan.4869

Ethan.4869

I run ac path 1-2 just now and it work properly even we skip most of the mobs.
But yesterday its bugged

Un kitten Hodgkins

Posted by: Kinoh.7423

Kinoh.7423

I can help you with this, In AC mostly when the NPC died too much this tend to happen.

Un kitten Hodgkins

Posted by: shaktiboi.5194

shaktiboi.5194

Haven’t tested it 100%, but Detha seems to bug if she dies during the trap event and you kill the breeder after she’s dead. The event is listed as complete and you get a new objective and can’t restart the trap event that really failed.

This. This exactly for the Detha bug. When this sequence of events happens, Detha will NOT trigger the event in the next room with the turrets. 100% reproducible.

Un kitten Hodgkins

Posted by: Celinor.9045

Celinor.9045

This. This exactly for the Detha bug. When this sequence of events happens, Detha will NOT trigger the event in the next room with the turrets. 100% reproducible.

Just tried Detha path. She didn’t die during the trap event or even come close. Bug still occurred so that is not the only cause.

Un kitten Hodgkins

Posted by: omgwtflolbbl.7142

omgwtflolbbl.7142

On the Detha thing – I’ve only had her bug out once, and it was the same as some others have said. Detha died and we failed the event. After running back, the Breeder was still present, and my group decided they wanted to try just killing the Breeder via just attacking it like any other boss without the event actually being triggered. Afterwards, we could not get the Ascalonian Captain/Detha dialogue that starts off the mortar building event to appear. This was also the only run where I had ever failed the Detha Breeder/spike trap event, so…. yeah.

There may be multiple causes for it, but I’d say this is probably the best way to try to reproduce it.

Un kitten Hodgkins

Posted by: climhazzard.5897

climhazzard.5897

I play with a regular group of 3 to 5 people that runs AC a lot. We stopped doing path 1 because hodgin bugged out about 4 times in 3 days wasting a lot of our time. We don’t skip anything and didn’t start doing something different than usual but all of a sudden he started bugging out like crazy recently for us.

Un kitten Hodgkins

Posted by: Tze.6397

Tze.6397

Happened to our group once today. Hodgins didn’t trigger when we were supposed to find the second scepter. Please fix this, yesterday in path 2 Detha bugged in the very last room. It’s a fun dungeon but these bugs kind of ruin it.
Patiently waiting on your fixes… Cheers.

Un kitten Hodgkins

Posted by: Magikker.9243

Magikker.9243

The part where you have people pick up the scepter pieces and then they have to give them to Hodgins. has been an issue for us in the past. Since you have to pick them up AND turn them in, if someone gets DC’ed after picking up a piece but before turning it in it might not ever complete. We’ve found ourselves restarting the time this happened. Not sure how reproducible it is or if it was just a fluke.

Un kitten Hodgkins

Zenith.7301

Today did Arah path 4…..longest path, cleared hall before Giganticus Lupicus…..Randall Greyston bugged out and didn’t initiate Lupicus. I hate NPC initiated events. That was an hour down the drain.