Underwater combat needs to die

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Nikaido.3457

Nikaido.3457

I’ve been running another hotw spam since I wanted a set from it and one constant in this game is : there is nothing glitchier, buggier and more boring than underwater combat.

At the end of path 2 the end boss got glitched into the “ceiling” and there was absolutely nothing we could do except just disband and forget about the run. He was so far away that we couldn’t aggro him back, couldn’t do AoE or melee weapon damage through which is what usually works when this kind of thing happens. We were out of combat and the boss was just far away up into glitchland.
This is a lot more aggravating when you’ve done the run with pugs that had low dps considering the HUGE amount of hp every single hotw boss have. Not the fault of the group itself but enduring that amount of boss health and losing the run really leaves a terrible taste in the mouth and doesn’t really make me feel like running this path again.

Anet is obviously never going to fix the major issues there is with underwater and glitching into walls, ceiling etc so how about just scrapping the terrible idea that is underwater combat in this game?
Every single time I get the underwater jellyfish in fractal I feel like I’m losing a part of my soul.

- “No tears, please. It’s a waste of good suffering.”

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

Is there really any game that has done underwater combat well?

Also, why were you running with pug trash?

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

I’d find it more bearable if I didn’t feel like I was wearing white gear, considering the damage output. Surely it can’t just be the crappy breather(s)?

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

I can agree with that on HotW. But underwater combat is actually quite fun with some classes. Necro is pretty strong and fun underwater. But yeah in general it needs to sorted out and fixed.

Nikaido.3457

Also, why were you running with pug trash?

Not enough people I know online atm to ensure a run, and even if there were I’m not quite sure they’d agree to join a run for the most inane dungeon path of the game. The only reason I’m running this myself is because I want the set quickly. Most people would just wait a couple more days and only run path 1 on all alts.

I’d find it more bearable if I didn’t feel like I was wearing white gear, considering the damage output. Surely it can’t just be the crappy breather(s)?

Some classes have it better than others. Elementalist and guardian damage underwater is so craptastic compared to what they can do on land.. on the other hand, underwater warrior and thieves are kind of strong damage wise. I don’t really know about mesmer since I almost never played it underwater.

Posted by: jul.7602

jul.7602

I literally thought about running 5 rangers for underwater combat. I did it once and Jellyfish was spanked quickly. I find thief DPS underwater to be small compared to warrior and rangers.

Nikaido.3457

I find thief DPS underwater to be small compared to warrior and rangers.

You’re probably not using the block spam.

Posted by: Dagraan.2854

Dagraan.2854

people think underwater combat is complete hell of GW2 is because usually the cookie cutter build they run doesn’t perform well underwater, same with the ele bunker build it can’t do what people want on land.

and you can’t use a GS under water and press 2 to win. personally i find its easier to dodge attacks underwater.
but generally the best classes underwater are mesmers, guardians, and eles mainly the trident with the bouncing projectiles and the amount of damage the ele can put out. not to mention the blind field you can put out and just sit in.

the problem isn’t underwater combakittens Hotw and classes that suck kitten underwater.

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

^

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: Aioros.4862

Aioros.4862

As a ranger i think we should have a lot more underwater content. >.<

Posted by: Softspoken.2410

Softspoken.2410

Kind of throwing the baby out with the underwater here. Two of the problems you pointed out (Boss glitching its way through the ceiling and a massive health pool) could be fixed and aren’t really about underwater combat specifically.

The lowered damage is probably true though. Personally what I dislike about underwater combat is how hitboxes feel inaccurate, both on melee attacks and just on some enemies.

Edit: I bet they could fix the roof if they just gave it a single solid block instead of trying to be fancy and having all these interlocking / overlapping segments of ice that screw up your camera.

Mixing insults with your post is like pooping in a salad.
It’s pretty obvious, and nobody’s impressed.

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

people think underwater combat is complete hell of GW2 is because usually the cookie cutter build they run doesn’t perform well underwater, same with the ele bunker build it can’t do what people want on land.

and you can’t use a GS under water and press 2 to win. personally i find its easier to dodge attacks underwater.
but generally the best classes underwater are mesmers, guardians, and eles mainly the trident with the bouncing projectiles and the amount of damage the ele can put out. not to mention the blind field you can put out and just sit in.

the problem isn’t underwater combakittens Hotw and classes that suck kitten underwater.

not sure if serious

Oceanic [LOD]

Posted by: Dolan.3071

Dolan.3071

I find Mariner’s Frenzy to be much funner to do that Hundred Blades, though I’m not too sure about the damage comparison. Not even mentioning Tsunami Slash which is the best skill in the game. You’re like a kitten heat seeking missile!

Uriel Asther ~ Warrior | Kaya Lereau ~ Elementalist | Natalie Fox ~ Thief
Skye Eterna ~ Mesmer | Arya Slade ~ Charrdian | Kiera Thine ~ Ranger
Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

nikaido I’ll always go hotw with ur sexy french kitten -.-

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I think underwater combat is just a little bit undeveloped. I hope they expand on it, because now there’s not that much to it.

HotW is indeed one of those dungeons that suffers from bosses with way too much health, and no new mechanics being introduced during the fight. Not so much an issue with the underwater combat, but with bad boss design. Enemies getting stuck in the ceiling is a general underwater bug, that also occurs with the Krait in Fractals. I hope they get around to fixing it some time. But that’s not underwater combat itself, which could use some improvement.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Yeah something definitely doesn’t scale gear/stats wise properly underwater…

Posted by: Direksone.3867

Direksone.3867

They should rework it. It’s a fun addition. The fight in HOTW sucks because there are no proper mechanics and the boss has a TON of health. More weapons, perhaps underwater only Utilities (as you can’t use all utilities underwater, why not vice versa as well?) would improve it.

My guess is that with an expansion based around the Water Dragon (Bubbles) we will be swimming a lot and that it will be reworked before/around/during that time. Still a while away.

Blood And Metal is a guild on Gunnars Hold that is all about metal, punk,hard rock etc.. Join us!

Posted by: CptAurellian.9537

CptAurellian.9537

My guess is that with an expansion based around the Water Dragon (Bubbles) we will be swimming a lot and that it will be reworked before/around/during that time. Still a while away.

Well, if I extrapolate my experiences with the development of this game, I’d rather say that we will probably swim around a lot, but it won’t be reworked.

Even if there is a complete rework, I’m not sure whether it will solve the problems. It’s not even the terrible damage down there. The three-dimensional fight and all the glitches and the lack of predictability involved therein are things that always annoy me when going underwater.

Warning! This post may contain traces of irony, sarcasm and peanuts.

There is no loyalty without betrayal. -Ann Smiley

Posted by: Tierra.8615

Tierra.8615

The problem is that a lot of players don’t give a crap about getting good underwater weapons and bash away with lvl 30 blues or something similar. Get a group of 5 decent players with appropriate underwater weapons and see the difference.