Upcoming "Deep Dungeon" Difficulty?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Snow.5269

Snow.5269

While pretty much all details remain unknown, what is known is the dungeon becomes progressively more difficult the deeper one descends & the loot quality increases. While there are many other additions with the November 15th update, I am most excited about the possibility of a “difficult dungeon”.

While some may disagree, I think its fair to say the current dungeon content is VERY forgiving to say the least. Less than 2 months out we have had everything on farm & 1 shot everything without difficulty. Almost every dungeon in the game is/can be pugged.

I’m hoping that changes with the deep dungeon. I would like to see content that actually requires some coordination/communication & some skill to complete. I’m not asking for overtuned bosses that hit for 30k, with 1 million hitpoints but if one examines current state of dungeon bosses in most cases they are simply to forgiving & if it actually is remotely difficult is waypoint zerged by groups than cannot adapt.

Really hoping all of the above issues are addressed in upcoming deep dungeon.

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Going to respectfully disagree here and plead that no part of it should be too much more difficult Communication wise than the “Servants of Grenth” & the first stage of the original DEEP — Not sure what GW2’s Equivs to that are? … the Seraph Barrels maybe??

(…yeah guess which room I got put into the first time I ran Deep. :p )

…On the other hand… Maybe uhh, they’re just going to steal LOL’s death penalty mechanic for it? IE: you can’t corpse roll the final encounters b/c you stay dead a lot longer?? I dunno, I guess well find out!

(edited by ilr.9675)

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

I don’t like Arenanet’s artificial creation of difficulty with extremely hard hits and oversized HP bars. Most bosses feel like they’re using cheap tricks (the insane amounts of AoE generated by bosses like Subject Alpha, which are manageable but just a pain and not fun to play against), and grinding a boss to death is NOT fun. I would prefer boss and standard mob mechanics that actually make you stop and think rather than just staying on your toes and dodging red circles/badly telegraphed attacks in some cases and hitting your CCs. I’d like the difficulty increase through the dungeon to be a mental challenge and not just an ever-increasing enemy zerg with no pacing or tactical aspects. By all means punish players that cannot keep up and don’t put some thought in to their movements/skill uses/builds, but do it in an interesting way rather than force a bunch of mobs with the sturdiness of APCs down our throats constantly.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

(edited by Auesis.7301)

Posted by: Lucas Ashrock.8675

Lucas Ashrock.8675

Looking forward to a new challenge, i guess will be a dungeon longer than arah more deep we go, ’casue of the time needed to kill all and bosses. I will enjoy it in the fullest.

Dungeon Master http://i.imgur.com/Hoqw3.jpg ME http://i.imgur.com/R41MGzB.jpg Fractal Guild Promoter

Posted by: Bukkebruse.2810

Bukkebruse.2810

…On the other hand… Maybe uhh, they’re just going to steal LOL’s death penalty mechanic for it? IE: you can’t corpse roll the final encounters b/c you stay dead a lot longer?? I dunno, I guess well find out!

What

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I’m going to disagree regarding the difficulty. I think no dungeon should require voice communication. The four horsemen quest in GW1’s Underworld was pretty tricky, but by simply discussing tactics in chat, it was easy to overcome. In the end it all came down to putting up a good fight, and keeping an eye on your allies. I dislike how many of GW2’s boss fights just boil down to a manic dodge-all-the-red-circles fest.

I think plenty of players are already struggling with the current dungeons. Not because they are hard, but because they are unfair. Trial and error gimmicks, and insta-kill bosses that punish everyone who didn’t read the wiki, or died several times to learn the gimmick. A good challenge is hard by being really clear about the objective, and by simply demanding good team work, and good fighting/coordination.

The real challenge to the design team is not to create a dungeon that is harder than the current dungeons in the game. The real challenge is creating a dungeon that people actually want to play. Not because of rewards, but because it is fun to do. Because the current dungeons in GW2 have alienated many players. They are so unfun, so frustrating and annoying, that after a few attempts many players do not feel any desire to beat them. What is the point of trying to beat a dungeon, if you don’t enjoy the learning process, or the winning process?

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)