Warrior: Hammer is useless?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Jahfooly.3086

Jahfooly.3086

Got to 80 on my warrior about a month ago. Been doing dungeons for about a week or two. I really like using the hammer because all I see are GS glass cannon warriors out there and I wanted to stand out from the crowd. Damage isn’t so bad but I really like the stuns for the mobs in some cases. Usually when in boss fights I just produce as much damage as I can and use healing shouts to support the party. I was wondering if I should drop the hammer and switch weapons cause I feel, as a warrior, I should contributing more dmg rather than support. Any suggestions?

Posted by: JJBigs.8456

JJBigs.8456

play how you want. dont feel like you have to do damage over support, the support is there for a reason. i know and see lots of wars running regen banners as its tier 6, better than most eles or they use heal shouts. i personally like to see 25k end burst from GS but as long as the person is a warrior, idc what gear or weapon they use as i know they will be doing better DPS than most other players. what i hate though is auto attack riflers when the enemy is very easy and you know they could be in melee and just sit at range auto attacking. as long as your active, it helps ALOT to be a warrior in a team

Posted by: Kamahl.3621

Kamahl.3621

I’m not fond of hammer warrior in my dungeons because they spend a lot of time doing less damage and knocking mobs out of allied AoE effects, and overall just trolling you. Ever have someone knockback a mob when you use an effect like Grenade Barrage (21 second cooldown), and watch it miss entirely as a result? It’s not like lava font with a low cooldown, it’s just plain annoying.

Posted by: Renegade.6325

Renegade.6325

play how you want. dont feel like you have to do damage over support, the support is there for a reason.

read this carefully and do the exact opposite.

dungeon metagame at the moment for warriors is to do as much damage as possible.

any alternatives are more dangerous and less efficient.

Posted by: Iehova.9518

Iehova.9518

Switch to GS and let guardians do hammer, it’s what they excel at.

Posted by: Zinkey.6983

Zinkey.6983

If you are interesting in running a warrior build which is damage focused but isnt GS Axe/Mace is a fantastic weapon choice. I would reccomend dropping the shout healing and going for aggression, as others have said leave the support to the Guardians, shout healing is a massively inefficient use of traits and utilities.

Axe/Mace has a very high damage auto attack, abilities 2 and 4 apply vulnerability, 3 is a ranged cripple, and 5 is a wave stun (absolutely awesome move). Many people debate over which does better damage Axe vs GS, I personally am an Axe fan it offers top notch damage with great mobility and plenty of room for a heavy vulnerability build too. Running with on my mark you can stack 18 stacks of vuln on a single target, 8 on cleave with little to no effort, while this build doesnt really focus on defensive support, maintaining a high vuln stack will increase the damage output of the entire team which I have found to work really well.

If you need any help traiting/gearing feel free to contact me in game, I dont mind going over a build with you and running some dungeons to show you where it excels.

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

Hammers is more of a PvP weapon.

Defiant stacks ruin it for me. There are only rare instances when you would ever need CC in dungeons, like knocking a Graveling Scavenger out of “knockdown mode”.

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

Posted by: Ravenmoon.5318

Ravenmoon.5318

As a guardian myself, I strongly disagree. GS is the superior option there too. Ring of Warding is way too bugged and “perma” retaliation is hard to keep up

Posted by: Bukkebruse.2810

Bukkebruse.2810

Since most dungeons don’t really require any profession mechanics there’s pretty much no point in going for disabling/cc builds.

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

As a guardian myself, I strongly disagree. GS is the superior option there too. Ring of Warding is way too bugged and “perma” retaliation is hard to keep up

Perma retaliation isn’t too hard to keep up, you give protection and create a light combo field which can be useful to cleanse conditions.

Posted by: Ravenmoon.5318

Ravenmoon.5318

Perma retaliation isn’t too hard to keep up, you give protection and create a light combo field which can be useful to cleanse conditions.

With a whirl or projectile finisher, which the guardian hammer doesn’t have o.O

Posted by: Direksone.3867

Direksone.3867

Play whatever you want mate. Ignore people that say: “Warrior has to play like this or that.”. A game is about having fun. If you have fun with the most horrible spec, go for it.

Blood And Metal is a guild on Gunnars Hold that is all about metal, punk,hard rock etc.. Join us!

Iehova.9518

A game is about having fun. If you have fun with the most horrible spec, go for it.

But don’t go kittening on the forums that you get kicked out of groups.

Just saying.

Posted by: Direksone.3867

Direksone.3867

Damage has never been an issue with any class or anything, only in fractals, which I barely do. Most of the time if you can survive long enough everything is fine in the end. If you wanna do speed runs it’s a different story, but that is not the case here.

And your attitude is exactly what’s wrong with some people in the community. Elitist behavior. Ridiculous. “Just saying.”

Blood And Metal is a guild on Gunnars Hold that is all about metal, punk,hard rock etc.. Join us!

Iehova.9518

Elitist behavior.

Deal with it son.

Posted by: Oatmeal.1895

Oatmeal.1895

Use whatever weapon you like, just be careful about it! Knockbacks especially. It does getting annoying wasting skills on enemies that get knocked back! Understandable though if a teammate is getting beat on.

Posted by: Bunmaster.9734

Bunmaster.9734

Just use hammer if it is really what you want, just don’t go KB happy on mobs. I can’t count how many times players KB/fear mobs when i just pulled them all in with my GS.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

If you play well, don’t CC enemies randomly, and do solid DPS, I couldn’t care less what you use. Dungeons are so easy for competent groups that it’s irrelevant what build your team uses if everyone’s good. That said, you should probably use a GS as your weapon swap for its burst; it will help balance your build a lot.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: zerotwo.4731

zerotwo.4731

I would suggest you get familiar with other weapons. Even though GS is the more popular weapon you may find you enjoy sword/axe or mace/shield. Personally, I use every weapon except the hammer. Depending on the dungeon or instance, I will switch out before hand. For high DPS GS and switch to Axe/anything else. It helps the group when the baddies drop quicker. Rifle for single targets or bosses that are difficult to melee and bow for AOE vs those large groups like the dredge fractals.

Posted by: Shinki.8045

Shinki.8045

It’s constantly bandied about that Hammers do less damage than most Warrior weapons. I wouldn’t argue that, except in the rare occasion when you’re fighting massive crowds. Particularly those with a high-damage veteran mixed in. F1, 1 (third hit) 3 and 4 all hit 5 targets. 2 and 5 are single target control skills.

I like hammer versus some Arah Risen Spider fights, Bandit packs in CM, jumping to harpies on platforms and holding down the saboteur in the Uncategorized Fractal, whittling down the crowds in CoF2, Smushing Stonetouches in TA UP, saving allies from scavengers in AC, initiating on crowds in the Urban Battlefields fractal and so on. Not a great boss weapon, but that’s why you go out of combat before a bossfight.

So, situationally, hammer is great. As is most every other Warrior weapon except Axe which is always good.

Posted by: Maylojager.1307

Maylojager.1307

Uniqueness for the sake of it – is quite a sad sight indeed. There is a reason why “everyone” is running gs zerk build. Just a food for your thoughts, think about it.

Elitist behavior.

Subparist behavior.

Posted by: DeathPanel.8362

DeathPanel.8362

Uniqueness for the sake of it – is quite a sad sight indeed. There is a reason why “everyone” is running gs zerk build. Just a food for your thoughts, think about it.

I think the main problem is most people don’t.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I’m not fond of hammer warrior in my dungeons because they spend a lot of time doing less damage and knocking mobs out of allied AoE effects, and overall just trolling you. Ever have someone knockback a mob when you use an effect like Grenade Barrage (21 second cooldown), and watch it miss entirely as a result? It’s not like lava font with a low cooldown, it’s just plain annoying.

I’ve had this happen with Elementalist, Warrior, Engineer, Mesmer, Ranger, and Guardian. Nothing special about hammer warrior. Judging from forums posts, some people just spam their whole bar on cooldown …

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Guardian GS is way better than hammer in dungeons.

Posted by: Lightrayne.7829

Lightrayne.7829

But they’re good together when you have to kill mobs. Pull the group together and keep them in place, so your team can maximize their AoE damage in the focal point you created. This makes my PuG runs so much smoother because there’s less targeting chaos and kiting.

Zenith.7301

But they’re good together when you have to kill mobs. Pull the group together and keep them in place, so your team can maximize their AoE damage in the focal point you created. This makes my PuG runs so much smoother because there’s less targeting chaos and kiting.

I prefer my greatsword+ mace/shield/focus because I actually do substantial healing with the mace and it allows me to stay in melee for high level fractals longer, when mobs can hit you easily for 8k and Ascalonian Mages+Warriors will pretty much 2-shot you if you don’t string blocks together.

Posted by: Heylo.4938

Heylo.4938

I’ve never used hammer on my warrior because i’ve always heard about how useless it is, but I’m a fan of playing how you want to play. For the most part, you should be fine. Very rarely am I in AC thinking, “crap! We just don’t have the dps for kohler!!!! Why is the warrior using a hammer?!” I would advise you to always carry a GS around though, even just a rare one, or run with a higher dmg output weapon on your second set. I prefer Axe/Axe or Axe/Mace, but GS is good if you like that playstyle. I hate being rooted for the high damage skill. 25k crit is nice, but I constantly step out of it. I’m a crazy strafer.
Don’t get upset though, when a CoF or Arah p4 wont take you. That’s why I say to have a GS or Axe in your bag. Sometimes, you just have to do the damage.
My guild does have a support warrior, which is nice since we seem to be lacking guardians at the moment. If you have a guardian, you don’t really need a support warrior. So, do what your party needs and/or what you want to do, but expect to run into a few elitists who aren’t afraid to kick or yell at you for not being a zerker.

Sickest Guild [NA] Blackgate

Zenith.7301

Warrior hammer is just fine — it’s just not as OP as greatsword or mainhand axe so nobody uses it as much. In WvW hammer warriors are CC factories with great damage to boot, unlike the other CC heavy class like the engineer.

Posted by: Lightrayne.7829

Lightrayne.7829

I prefer my greatsword+ mace/shield/focus because I actually do substantial healing with the mace and it allows me to stay in melee for high level fractals longer, when mobs can hit you easily for 8k and Ascalonian Mages+Warriors will pretty much 2-shot you if you don’t string blocks together.

I was referring to general dungeons, not fractals. I wouldn’t dare use guardian hammer for more damaging mobs in fractals, especially because the split second on the animation that roots you can get you killed.

Posted by: Kamahl.3621

Kamahl.3621

I’ve had this happen with Elementalist, Warrior, Engineer, Mesmer, Ranger, and Guardian. Nothing special about hammer warrior. Judging from forums posts, some people just spam their whole bar on cooldown …

I was simply stating with regards to hammer warrior, as it’s in the title. This is the exact reason I don’t bring Big Ol’ Bomb on my engineer, or I only pop Shield of Absorption when I need a quick heal and want to scatter the mobs (when they don’t have to be killed / we’re skipping), or etcetera.