What 3 Fractals would you like to see?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: UnbentMars.9126

UnbentMars.9126

See title for what the question is, please don’t include Fall of Abaddon, Anet should work on adding that anyway because its awesome.

I would like to see more events from GW1 make it in, and potentially some from pre-GW1. Potentially following King Doric’s fight to create the bloodstones, Glint fighting Kralkatorrik, a fractal involving Malyck (potentially even seeing him and his tree turn to Mordremoth, even if just as a way to wrap up that storyline).

Rev, Ele, Burnzerker
“Beware he who would deny you access to information,
for in his heart he dreams himself your master.”

Posted by: Hesacon.8735

Hesacon.8735

• The Pale Tree’s escape from Mordremoth (assuming the Pale Tree isn’t a setup and is truly Mordremoth and we’ve all been played as chumps the entire time)
  • Finishing off Zhaitan on the ground after he went ker-plunk after getting laser’d like a chump.
  • White Mantle’s internal power struggles between Xera and Caudecus, it would be interesting to fight with one of them as an ally, especially since both of them die like chumps.

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

i want to be a minion of mordy, carrying out the evisceration of the pact fleet in verdant brink

i want to travel to the time when giganticus varieties roamed the lands, weve only seen lupicus but there are others right

i want to help build glint’s lair

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Hmm thats a good one uhmm maybe a fractal about the great destoryer from eotn? Would be cool to have our chatacters turn into follower of the hero of the previous title and fight with him the great destroyer.
Ofc abadons fall (but i hope the devs remmeber that its the fight with the gods and not the fight with kormir and the heroes since we havent seen the first one it would be cool and it could make the current story woth ark much more intersting.
This last is a personal interest and i expect the majority to not even wonna consider this when they hear it but id like a fractal where we go into 1 of the krait citadels underwater and fight their grand priestess or w/e and we get more info about steve, the blue orb from ps etc etc. Idk man when i first saw the art for their cities i got hooked up really bad and id like to see that, but ofc it will include underwatter stuff (swiming around the city, fighting adds, maybe even a boss ) but they could squize in actual land fights (inside the palace or w/e this city might have) but ye i dont expect them to ever touch underwatter again.(im sure of they put their mind into it they could make amazing underwater inviroments)

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

Fall of Abaddon

Fighting charr with Gwen (bonus points for Kari Wahlgren voicing her character again + we have gwen’s outfit, so easy to make NPC!)

Recovering the Scepter of Orr as shining blade agents alongside Livia. (we already have sunken Orr assets)

UnbentMars.9126

Recovering the Scepter of Orr and figuring out who has it would be incredible!

Something that just occurred to me, a great fractal would be finding Rytlock in the mists after he dove in after his sword. This would give a great opportunity to explore how he got his Revenant powers and the opportunity to see some locales we haven’t seen before (chaos and nightmare are incredible, but they aren’t made of new assets and locations).

Rev, Ele, Burnzerker

Posted by: thrag.9740

thrag.9740

1.) Ancient times fighting the giants (things like lupi before it died and was resurrected).

2.) The fall of glint with destiny’s edge.

3.) The dwarves going underground to push back primordus.

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

Twisted Marionette as a boss, but scaled down to 5 players. One person per lane, with the same boss mechanics and fail criteria. Re add the achievements to said fractal.

A fractal where we assist Lornar in his stalwart defense of Beacon’s Perch against Hill Giants.

Dhuum boss fractal.

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Posted by: Oldirtbeard.9834

Oldirtbeard.9834

Battle For Lions Arch, The Breach Maker, Abbadon.

Bring back the Marionette as a World Boss with a Zone Dynamic Event build up like Hirathi.

Amaimon.7823

Battle For Lions Arch, The Breach Maker, Abbadon.

Bring back the Marionette as a World Boss with a Zone Dynamic Event build up like Hirathi.

BY ABADDON YES!
GIMME MARIONETTE!

Sublimatio.6981

A fractal where we assist Lornar in his stalwart defense of Beacon’s Perch against Hill Giants.

This isn’t possible, The Great Hill Giant Invasion from 534 a.e. is known to had been stopped by Lornar single-handedly. He had no allies to assist him.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Something with Glint’s lair in it. Or alternatively Glint and Destiny’s Edge fighting Kralk. As long as either Glint or her lair are the main focus of the fractal.

Twisted Marionette would be an awesome way to reintroduce that fight for players who didn’t play during LWS1.

And something darker. I really love the idea of being a mordremoth minion during the takedown of the Pact Fleet. Fighting against the pact.

Or something exploring Orr. Either post Zhaitan Orr where we have to take down several of the more powerful commanders left alive, or even farther back in history near when the Vizier Khilbron sank it into the ocean.

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

This isn’t possible, The Great Hill Giant Invasion from 534 a.e. is known to had been stopped by Lornar single-handedly. He had no allies to assist him.

…and no here ever exaggerated the story to get a second free drink in a tavern, and definitely nobody ever inflated the achievements of their cultures great heros of the past to, y’know, impress others…

Amaimon.7823

we’re not copying an event in the mists, we’re being inserted into an event that took place. We’re itnruders, we’re the anomalies in the event. Even if there was a holy event that took place between 2 individuals, it’s still possible for a fractal to have more people because fractals aren’t events, they’re memories of events. And we learned from various fractals already that the memories can be combined, crossed and bend. So when we get there we might still see just Lornar fighting off the others, but can then join the fight. We’re not rewriting history, just being horseshoed into a memory of something that happened

Sublimatio.6981

we’re not copying an event in the mists, we’re being inserted into an event that took place. We’re itnruders, we’re the anomalies in the event. Even if there was a holy event that took place between 2 individuals, it’s still possible for a fractal to have more people because fractals aren’t events, they’re memories of events. And we learned from various fractals already that the memories can be combined, crossed and bend. So when we get there we might still see just Lornar fighting off the others, but can then join the fight. We’re not rewriting history, just being horseshoed into a memory of something that happened

I have to say you are correct and this is a pretty valid argument. However, it makes you wonder about the storytelling in fractals – because of this, we don’t get any substantial knowledge of the events that transpired. We only get bits of context and nothing more. Becuase of this format we can’t know if (for example) humans from volcanic fractal were actually saved or if the imbued grawl shaman actually still lives somewhere and continues to kill. This might be seen as a design flaw or not, depending on preferences. In my opinion this makes the fractal story meaningless because we don’t get definitive answers, and I like definite answers. Sorry for offtop but this was an interesting thought to ponder on.

UnbentMars.9126

Something with Glint’s lair in it. Or alternatively Glint and Destiny’s Edge fighting Kralk. As long as either Glint or her lair are the main focus of the fractal.

Twisted Marionette would be an awesome way to reintroduce that fight for players who didn’t play during LWS1.

And something darker. I really love the idea of being a mordremoth minion during the takedown of the Pact Fleet. Fighting against the pact.

Or something exploring Orr. Either post Zhaitan Orr where we have to take down several of the more powerful commanders left alive, or even farther back in history near when the Vizier Khilbron sank it into the ocean.

That would be awesome, seeing the fall of the pact fleet! Could be turned into some of the pact survivors and have to fight as our ship crashes, then maybe survive a few waves of enemies while we wait for the ‘pact commander’ and pact reinforcements to clear us a path back to the Silverwastes or something.

There’s so much pre-GW1 lore that could be explored, I’d love to see something involving the Luxons and Kurzicks or the original Shiro, or even visiting Balthazar’s battlefield

Rev, Ele, Burnzerker

Posted by: NumenorLord.6539

NumenorLord.6539

• Fall of Abaddon
  • Defense of Ascalon (the other side of Urban Battleground). End of the fractal would be the curse of King Adelbern after being overrun.
  • Destiny’s Edge and Glint vs Kralkatorrik (don’t know how they could make it but would be such an epic fractal!) Note: Must include Logan fleeing.

Posted by: Artasqweroldy.7458

Artasqweroldy.7458

Important Parts of LS1 to close story gaps.
-Breachmaker Battle
-Marionette (with optional killing of Scarlet)
-Something in Orr while the Gods still lived there
-Backstory for Lazarus

Humans aren´t real

Amaimon.7823

I have to say you are correct and this is a pretty valid argument. However, it makes you wonder about the storytelling in fractals – because of this, we don’t get any substantial knowledge of the events that transpired. We only get bits of context and nothing more. Becuase of this format we can’t know if (for example) humans from volcanic fractal were actually saved or if the imbued grawl shaman actually still lives somewhere and continues to kill. This might be seen as a design flaw or not, depending on preferences. In my opinion this makes the fractal story meaningless because we don’t get definitive answers, and I like definite answers. Sorry for offtop but this was an interesting thought to ponder on.

That is an interesting take on the matter, and tbh, I hadn’t even thought that far yet.
What i mean to say is, the event we see is how it really happened, so as far as NPC’s were involved, they really did what we see them do. The number of people, or the people involved, can vary greatly, though.
Like, in case of the volcanic fractal I do believe that the grawl were truly sacrificing people, and they were rescued. However, the exact evaluation may be unique to our performance. eg. how many people were saved, which were saved, how well did the mission go, and was the setting as simple as the memory of the mist remembered it, or was the cave empty because it only remembered significant things
like, when you run through a cave in a fractal, and its empty, was it really empty in reality, or were there things that the mists found inconsequential, not worth remembering.

TLDR, it’s impossible to tell to what extent the fractals are memories of real life events, and to what extents things are forgotten or changed.
Because the mist is a non-sapient being, I do not believe there is a conscious choice in remembering this, but rather, a systematic one. Like does the individual who survive here, come back in another memory, then yes, his existence is important. Does their death or survival change the outcome, if no, then we forget about them

But in all respects, everything about the mists is speculation, because even in-game they’re stagnant about the fact that no one really knows what the mists are and what they do and don’t do.

UnbentMars.9126

I’d love to see a fractal about the introduction of humans to Tyria, or about Humans first chasing the Charr out of Ascalon.

I’d also love to revisit some of the actual Guild Wars back when they were going on

Rev, Ele, Burnzerker

OriOri.8724

:O yes a fractal about the actual guild wars would be awesome from a lore perspective!

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

:O yes a fractal about the actual guild wars would be awesome from a lore perspective!

hmm isnt that a big part of the story to be in a fractal if it had 1 very specific moment that could be used as fractal?

UnbentMars.9126

hmm isnt that a big part of the story to be in a fractal if it had 1 very specific moment that could be used as fractal?

I mean, Anet hasn’t been very specific about the Guild Wars themselves, so there’s a ton of room for making something up. One example might be the battle that convinced King Doric to ask the gods to break up magic or something like that

Rev, Ele, Burnzerker

Sublimatio.6981

One example might be the battle that convinced King Doric to ask the gods to break up magic or something like that

and since that point of history involved too much magic in the environment, we pretty much have the assets already here – leylines popping above surface, ley rifts, anomalies, magical explosions, people with so much power it turns on them (matthias), people with so much power it wrecks havoc (Xera)

Funny thing is, Xera and Matthias are examples of the exact effects that happened in history when Gods released magic – as they released magic from the bloodstone, and xera/matthias harvested the same magic on their own

Amaimon.7823

the problem with using the Guild Wars as a fractal, is the fact that it’s an era, not a single event. The Guild Wars is something akin to world war 1, 2, the great civil war, the cold war, you name it. It’s not one fight, its a lot of fights between a lot of groups over a long course of time.

A summarized history is: Abaddon cleaves the bloodstone limiter, and people can use magic, all magic, that is. They’re practically mursaat, maybe one step lower. They all think they have the power to rule now, many nations, many families, but mainly, all the guilds show up to claim their stand in the world. The guilds were the largest and most organized groups and they fought with a tenacity not met by armies or rich families.
Eventually, King Doric acknowledged that mankind would rid itself if it continued this fight, so he pleaded to the gods to end it. He offered himself as tribute for mankind’s foolishness, too, hence the runestones became “bloodstones” from that moment on. The gods didn’t want to fully reseal the magic again because of the damage already done, but returned it to a controlled flow. It’s what prevents any one person from learning all schools of magic at once. I don’t know exactly how long the guild wars lasted, but they had a significant impact on the world, and shaped the nations as they are today. I think I read once that the Kurzicks and Luxons are one of the few remaining guilds who were at war at that time (although then it was for the guild wars and not yet for the relics, I think they were even somewhat allied until the Jade Wind happened).

disclaimer: when I say one step below Mursaat I mean it in the technical sense. Mursaat have no limitations in their magic, and so did the humans at the time of the great guild wars. They mursaat were still a step higher because beside the natural magic, they also wielded Agony, an aura they adopted to within the mists, or some kind of veil between the world and the mists

OriOri.8724

We obviously couldn’t use the entire Guild Wars as a fractal, but individual encounters/events in the Guild Wars could be used. A prominent fight between 2 or more of the more powerful guilds. Or when King Doric went and pleaded with the Gods to stop it, or even when Abaddon started the whole thing could all be good events from the Guild Wars to make a fractal out of

Posted by: Hesacon.8735

Hesacon.8735

That would be awesome, seeing the fall of the pact fleet! Could be turned into some of the pact survivors and have to fight as our ship crashes, then maybe survive a few waves of enemies while we wait for the ‘pact commander’ and pact reinforcements to clear us a path back to the Silverwastes or something.

There’s so much pre-GW1 lore that could be explored, I’d love to see something involving the Luxons and Kurzicks or the original Shiro, or even visiting Balthazar’s battlefield

The Mordremoth vs the pact fleet fractal would only take 30 seconds. Mordremoth made the pact look like chumps and Zhaitan look like a super chump by losing to a smaller version of the fleet.

Amaimon.7823

We obviously couldn’t use the entire Guild Wars as a fractal, but individual encounters/events in the Guild Wars could be used. A prominent fight between 2 or more of the more powerful guilds. Or when King Doric went and pleaded with the Gods to stop it, or even when Abaddon started the whole thing could all be good events from the Guild Wars to make a fractal out of

yea, I did once recommend a fractal where we are replaced by human models (just like Urban and Thaumanova) and we join Jadoth. The last fight would be at the beaches where Jadoth pleads to Abaddon, and we have to defend him. Then we get great power, and can fight back to the Mursaat, one of them being a boss.

Abimelech, the Usurper (Mursaat)
joined by
Cairn, The Unquestionable
Cairn, The Immaterial
Asaath, The Honest Truth
Seödda, The Ascendant

Abimalech is invulnerable, fighting the invulnerable Jadoth.
The players must kill the 4 champions, the last one standing will usurp the power, heal 66% of the lost health, and gains a more advanced version of his combat mechanic. Upon defeat, you can rejoin Jadoth and quickly despatch of Abimelech.

UnbentMars.9126

yea, I did once recommend a fractal where we are replaced by human models (just like Urban and Thaumanova) and we join Jadoth. The last fight would be at the beaches where Jadoth pleads to Abaddon, and we have to defend him. Then we get great power, and can fight back to the Mursaat, one of them being a boss.

Abimelech, the Usurper (Mursaat)
joined by
Cairn, The Unquestionable
Cairn, The Immaterial
Asaath, The Honest Truth
Seödda, The Ascendant

Abimalech is invulnerable, fighting the invulnerable Jadoth.
The players must kill the 4 champions, the last one standing will usurp the power, heal 66% of the lost health, and gains a more advanced version of his combat mechanic. Upon defeat, you can rejoin Jadoth and quickly despatch of Abimelech.

Now that sounds awesome. I’d love to see something like that, and with the new mechanics and fractal-style Anet has been showing I really think they could do an event like that justice.

Rev, Ele, Burnzerker

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

The Mordremoth vs the pact fleet fractal would only take 30 seconds. Mordremoth made the pact look like chumps and Zhaitan look like a super chump by losing to a smaller version of the fleet.

the pact didnt die instantly, just quickly. the ships all get speared by surprise, but then it takes a bit of time for them to fall down. and of course since gliding and parachutes are things, we could maybe follow a series of events as a (elite) group of mordy minions assigned to mop up the pact soldiers forced to bail from their ships, leading to a pact subcommander boss.

or you know something like that

its not like those giant verdant brink vines sprouted extra tendrils that all instantly murdered the soldiers the ships were carrying. mordy just had the element of surprise and an extreme home field advantage and the pact got arrogant.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

3 fractals :
- Prophecies : A free story where we have to defend the temple of ages against the undead. The boss could be a bone dragon.
- Faction : closer to the stars, I chose this one because it feel like it’s the easiest ascension quest to adapt in GW2.
- Nightfall : I’d like to see the grand court of sebelkheh adapted to GW2.

Some encounter from LS1 could be fun as well but I’m restraining myself to GW1.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

Posted by: Stitch.1794

Stitch.1794

In which case, the battle of Khylo might be a good fit, as there is some lore to it beyond just being a PvP map – IIRC the father of one of the GW1 characters (Devona?) was present at the battle.

UnbentMars.9126

In which case, the battle of Khylo might be a good fit, as there is some lore to it beyond just being a PvP map – IIRC the father of one of the GW1 characters (Devona?) was present at the battle.

I think Anet might be a little hesitant to do that one since it “exists” in pvp as a map, though I think an actual story and expanded map portion would be fantastic.

Rev, Ele, Burnzerker

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I’d like to see;

- a fight against a Dragon Lieutenant from an earlier rise
- Battle against Scarlet on the Breachmaker (if S1 is not going to return)
- Danir’s idea of a Bone Dragon + undead waves attacking something the ToA

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

The Marionette.
The Battle of Lions Arch.
The Breachmaker (As a boss fractal)

Since we have no idea if/when LS1 will be made replayable, we need these fractals to tell the story.

Kitten.

Posted by: Artasqweroldy.7458

Artasqweroldy.7458

Another interesting fractal would be the Battle of grenth against dhuum

Humans aren´t real

Posted by: Grogba.6204

Grogba.6204

Even though I am not particular a fan of those we haven’t had a defensive fractal so far.

Basically, you and your group (rather than progressing through the fractal normally) would defend a position (maybe even with siege equipment?) against advancing foes + a “siegebreaker” esque Boss at the end.

Think the Battle of Helms Deep from Lord of the Rings. Ideas:

Defending a Koda Sanctuary against Icebrood
Reverse Ascalon, this time as Humans against the Charr onslaught
etc.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Even though I am not particular a fan of those we haven’t had a defensive fractal so far.

Basically, you and your group (rather than progressing through the fractal normally) would defend a position (maybe even with siege equipment?) against advancing foes + a “siegebreaker” esque Boss at the end.

etc.

The last day of Rata Novus against the Chak.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

UnbentMars.9126

etc.

The last day of Rata Novus against the Chak.

That would be perfect! A great opportunity for defense, a great way to show what happened, and plenty of room to use the fancy mechanics Anet has been showing off recently. Best part, they already have most of the assets so it wouldn’t be as likely to take much work from the art department!

Rev, Ele, Burnzerker