What do you want from my ranger??

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Lyndis.2584

Lyndis.2584

This is like the 100th kick I’ve gotten from a group about to run a dungeon (CoF, AC) because they saw that little paw print next to my group portrait square.

What can I do other than just scrapping my class for an obviously superior one (warrior, warrior, or a warrior) to be able to find a dungeon run when my guild is busy?

.:: FaTe ~ [SoS] ::.

Posted by: GabGar.4962

GabGar.4962

Honestly if someone kicks you because your class, he/she is doing you a favor, that means that player is ignorant, unskilled and a jerk.

Rangers are awesome, their dps is decent and they are the best rezzers in game. Just be patient and look for another group, there’s plenty of good players looking for more.

Posted by: x per fection x.2096

x per fection x.2096

Stop trying to join cof groups asking for zerkers then

To be honest rangers are the worst pve class there is, and for this guy calling people not letting rangers in their groups unskilled makes him look dumb.

But the real answer to your question is…. START YOUR OWN GROUP!:D:D:D:D ta da

PS: i’d take a theif to rez over ranger any day

[Ark]Noober

Posted by: GabGar.4962

GabGar.4962

To be honest rangers are the worst pve class there is, and for this guy calling people not letting rangers in their groups unskilled makes him look dumb.

Ah yes? You mean a Thief can instantly get up to 4 downed people instant and at the same time? Or maybe you are saying a thief can half the rez time? I dont think so.

Learn to play please.

Posted by: x per fection x.2096

x per fection x.2096

Ah yes? You mean a Thief can instantly get up to 4 downed people instant and at the same time? Or maybe you are saying a thief can half the rez time? I dont think so.

Learn to play please.

If at anytime your in a group where there is 4 people down at the same time your in the wrong group lol. butttttttttttttt warrior has war banner, and warrior is much better than ranger, so might as well just roll a war if you wanna try and rez 4 people at a time, because you know… it happens so often that you need a ranger to do it

You can try as hard as you want to try defend rangers but facts are facts, their uselss. so maybe if you stop defending it anet will notice how useless they are and get rid of the pet and add some actuall usefull pve skills.

[Ark]Noober

Posted by: Myth Shaia.4856

Myth Shaia.4856

Pfft, ignore these ppl and those above. Find a guild that has many players and make friends in it and then go do dungeons with them.

I don’t care what professions I take into dungeons or fractals. As long as you know your class and how to trait and you don’t do silly things (having to rez 4 other players means they’re doing silly things), then I don’t mind.

Just did FOTMS 26 with 3 rangers, 1 warrior, 1 guardian and didn’t have any issues or difficulties.

…from elsewhere…
“I am not a complete idiot, there are some components missing still!” …

Posted by: abelooi.9156

abelooi.9156

if you want to speedrun, never take rangers. If your group need to justify taking a certain class by saying they are good resser, that’s just bad play. A good group should have minimal deaths, or even downs (and those can self-rally). Thing is your position as a ranger could well be filled with another class which can prevent downed (or defeated) states in the first place.

Now I don’t discriminate between classes. But when I say speedrun no other classes should join except war/mes/guard(to some extent). Guard is just useful everywhere, and War and Mes are OP in pve. The rest of the classes could just not exist for all I care. War is easy mode so it’s easy to find decent warriors so less risk when pugging, and Mes (I don’t give a kitten if they stand there do nothing as long as they know how to use focus 5, feedback, portal, timewarp)

And yes, I main a necro.

Posted by: Gelltor.3015

Gelltor.3015

From my own experience,the groups who do this can generally be recognised when they add stuff like “pros only/NO NOOBS LOL” to their lfg post.
That and AC and COF have alot of people looking for teams with certain classes (warriors,mesmers,eles) which they don’t specify which can be abit annoying.

Posted by: Sarcasmic.6741

Sarcasmic.6741

Feel free to level a Warrior. You’ll find your dungeon life much better in all aspects from that point on. You can’t beat them, might as well join them.

Stace (Lv 80 human quickness portal bot) | Sarcasmic (Lv 80 elixir-drunk norn pyro)
Saladtha (Lv 80 salad sidekick to bears) | Dunelle (Lv 80 eviscerating muppet)
Karmell (Lv 80 human might dispenser) | Vast says hi~.

Posted by: Lightrayne.7829

Lightrayne.7829

While I don’t main a ranger, I play on mine as part of my daily cycle of alts that go through CoF path 1 and 2 speed clears when my static team is done with our nightly dungeon runs. I’ve never been kicked. I’m not sure what kind of groups you’re going into, but I typically look for ones that advertise the typical LFM messages and not something like speed farms, zerker groups, or anything specific for professions. Also, I don’t post LFGs because you typically don’t know what you’re getting into. I just scan for what I want kind of group I want on gw2lfg.com and /join them.

My advice is to get your ranger through the story modes of the dungeon you want, so that you can host your own groups. At least that way, you call the shots and kicking you would be detrimental to anyone joining your party.

While it’s true that rangers are low on the meta preferences, I personally would rather have a team form than wait around doing nothing. I’ve been on teams with weird comps that worked out well (i.e. 2 rangers 2 thieves 1 engineer), and completed path 1 and 2 in about 30 minutes. As long as there is cooperation between the players, I am satisfied with my team. It’s a nice casual stroll through the paths with the convenience of a speed clear.

People have every right to form their preferred team, so they should only be blamed if they don’t properly advertise what they want. If they advertise “LF1M p1/p2” and kick you out because of your profession, they need a lesson in clear communication. This particular scenario is why I don’t post LFG — people won’t read your message and pick you up, only to kick you because they expected something else.

Sometimes, you have to be one step ahead of the kind of players/groups you want to avoid. Filter more effectively for what you want or lead your own group (probably the best option) and call the shots.

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

I myself also don’t discriminate… mostly because I never form speedrun parties (but I’ll join one if the mood strikes me).

If I have a ranger in the party, I’d feel that the group support they Can provide should be provided. If the group members are hurting badly, a Healing Spring to leap through or blast is fantastic help.

Anyways, don’t let it get you down! Like people have said, make your own party, start the instance yourself to prevent people from being able to kick you. Contribute and be the best ranger you can. Make friends and take them in your groups to prevent people from kicking you as easily.

Best of luck!

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: Phoenix.7845

Phoenix.7845

When I want to do daily cof with my engi I write in map chat “lf4m cof p1 I hate dps”. Never had a problem with finding a party that way. Try to avoid joining speed run/farm parties as those usually kick people as soon as they see that you’re not a war/mes.

Posted by: matemaster.2168

matemaster.2168

poor are those players which degraded their’s warriors to CoF 1 grinding bots
OP dont join those mutants !!!

(edited by matemaster.2168)

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

You can try as hard as you want to try defend rangers but facts are facts, their uselss. so maybe if you stop defending it anet will notice how useless they are and get rid of the pet and add some actuall usefull pve skills.

Kitten spelling aside, the only thing you’ve stated is your opinion. Opinions aren’t facts.

All those threads about ‘lvl 80s oly’ etc….see what such ignorance breeds?

Posted by: DanH.5879

DanH.5879

please roll a warrior, and all your kicking problems will go away

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

please roll a warrior, and all your kicking problems will go away

Yes, do this! I even have two. And the first thing I do when going through the run is kick the people that cry about killing adds, not exploiting bugs or that complain about the team composition.

Of course, you can do this with any profession but it feels more satisfying as a Warrior.

Posted by: yarpen.1364

yarpen.1364

99% of those “zerk exotic” warriors just plain sucks and can’t even maintain full dps and just autoattack with gs most of the time like idiots.
As ranger to get highest dps you probably need 1h sword, 2 cats as pets. Avoid bows, dps is just plain bad, I have better dps on greatsword…

Look also for traps, you can make with them some ice fields and fire fields. With the new changes to fire and frost shield it makes them very usefull. Remeber that you have leap finishers and drakes have blast ones.

Posted by: DeathPanel.8362

DeathPanel.8362

This is like the 100th kick I’ve gotten from a group about to run a dungeon (CoF, AC) because they saw that little paw print next to my group portrait square.

What can I do other than just scrapping my class for an obviously superior one (warrior, warrior, or a warrior) to be able to find a dungeon run when my guild is busy?

If you are kicked that often maybe you should look into your attitude, playstyle, level and/or gear rather than conclude that it was due to your class.

My ranger has yet to be kicked even once for any reason nor have I ever seen anyone in my team kicked due to their class.

Not saying it’s impossible, just saying that it’s improbable that you alone experience that many kicks solely based on class since if the issue is truly prevalent as you imply I would’ve likely experienced it already playing on my ranger.

(edited by DeathPanel.8362)

Posted by: Sarcasmic.6741

Sarcasmic.6741

99% of those “zerk exotic” warriors just plain sucks and can’t even maintain full dps and just autoattack with gs most of the time like idiots.
As ranger to get highest dps you probably need 1h sword, 2 cats as pets. Avoid bows, dps is just plain bad, I have better dps on greatsword…

Look also for traps, you can make with them some ice fields and fire fields. With the new changes to fire and frost shield it makes them very usefull. Remeber that you have leap finishers and drakes have blast ones.

While I’ll agree with needing sword mainhand, cat pets, and utilizing traps thanks to the changes recently, 2 points bug me.

Drakes are unreliable. The blast finisher isn’t on demand and has a substantially large cooldown, not worth counting on.

Shortbow dps beats out Greatsword dps on a single target or targets that can be stacked for piercing arrows. Greatsword is just horrible damage period. The evade is wonderous, but the damage leaves much to be desired.

That said, Ranger can’t even see the damage pedestal Warriors sit upon in dungeons. If you want to have an easy time finding dungeon groups for any dungeon, rolling a Warrior, Guardian, or Mesmer is your best bet (then learn to play the class of your choice competently please).

Stace (Lv 80 human quickness portal bot) | Sarcasmic (Lv 80 elixir-drunk norn pyro)
Saladtha (Lv 80 salad sidekick to bears) | Dunelle (Lv 80 eviscerating muppet)
Karmell (Lv 80 human might dispenser) | Vast says hi~.

Posted by: Tinni.4351

Tinni.4351

I think you are asking the wrong question. The question isn’t what your party wants from you but what YOU can offer your party. I don’t mean just your class but what can you the player, playing your class bring to the party? If you feel that there is nothing you can bring to the party while playing your ranger, then yes, you should consider re-rolling another class.

For myself, no amount of love or money will EVER make me roll a warrior. It is just not me and since I have no desire to run COF or AC over and over and over and over and over and over I have no reason to roll a warrior. Many people roll warriors purely to farm, that’s fair enough. But I don’t see how much enjoyment the class will bring you if you have no love for the class beyond “that’s the class people speed-run with”.

I currently run dungeons on my Guardian and my Ranger. Guardian does Arah and Fractals of the Mist, Ranger I use for everything else. I have never been kicked and don’t have issues getting groups. I think you need to be confident in yourself, playing the class you chose before you can ask others to have confidence in you.

My brain is shagging under the weight of changes… having six characters was not a good idea!

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

seriously now, i want you to remove your pet in a dungeon. can u do that?

Posted by: Kumakichi.2583

Kumakichi.2583

Ive run a ton of dungeons and in all that time Ive found that Rangers dont bring much to a group. I try not to discriminate and be open minded about it. But a poorly played warrior is just better than most other options. And melee dps is better than ranged dps. Its just the way Anet has balanced the game. Its been this way since release but maybe they rework things someday. Its anybodies guess.

Posted by: KratosAngel.7289

KratosAngel.7289

I think Rangers definitely need a lot of love. I don’t play one so I’m not biased myself but I had hesitated for a new alt between engineer and ranger. Thus, I looked for some information, and waited the class balance of February.
Rangers received poor buffs, compared to engineer. Furthermore, I saw that the most ridiculous thing is that rangers cannot properly manage their pets : seriously, they cannot get rid of it during a fight O_o
Knowing that this will probably never change, I immediately refrained from creating one. I’ve also talked with moderate rangers IG. Most of them think that the DPS is OK or even good, but it lacks pet control and a bit diversity (just like all professions for this).
I can only sympathise for these poor rangers :/
Personally, I don’t care about bringing some in my group, but 1-2 max. I want diversity and above all, lots of rangers just sit and spam 1 with shortbow or long bow, not controlling pet how they should (ok rush, die, rez, rush, die … never call back) so more L2 kitten ue.

Posted by: Xaaz.8472

Xaaz.8472

Rangers are in a terrible spot and anyone that tells you otherwise is in denial. The only thing I ever use my ranger for is farming sparks or bags. They are fundamentally broken on almost all levels.

In dungeons, my Guardian, Warrior, Mesmer, and to a lesser degree Thief all vastly outperform the ranger. Equally geared and equally competent, any of the other classes I have listed will far outperform my ranger in every aspect of the dungeon.

Pet’s need a serious fix and then you can start addressing the Ranger itself. They would be better off just getting rid of the pet and fixing the Ranger. It’s obvious that they have no clue whatsoever how to handle any type of pets in this game.

Posted by: Heylo.4938

Heylo.4938

I have never kicked someone for being a ranger, but as someone who’s first character was a ranger, I can see why a different class would be preferred. I feel very useless to the group when I need to use my ranger. With my guardian, I bring buffs. With my mesmer, I have quickness and such. With my warrior, I do heavy DPS as well as a few buffs. With my ele, I have some healing and group condi removal. With my ranger? My pet can give you might…is that cool?

That said, I did run Arah path 4 before the patch. We killed Simin with 2 rangers, 2 warriors (1 support spec), and 1 mesmer. The rangers were slightly useless except for dps on simin, due to the sparks agroing their pets, but hey. Still did it with rangers.

Sickest Guild [NA] Blackgate

Posted by: Shadowfist.2708

Shadowfist.2708

It’s not your fault Anet made rangers horrible. There’s not much you really can do.

And let’s be very clear on this one – rangers ARE horrible.

You can sit here all day and say that “HURR DERR everyone else is just being jerks rangers are awesome lol” but you’d be wrong. There’s a legitimate reason that people kick rangers and here’s a tip – it’s NOT because they’re awesome. They’re genuinely a terrible class that do everything worse than any other class.

Sure, a HIGHLY skilled ranger player (of which over 90% of you are NOT, even if you think you are) will make a ranger look decent compared to all the average people that play this. However, put him along side a HIGHLY skilled warrior/guardian/anything and he’s not going to look so impressive. That’s the fundamental problem. Even the BEST rangers are not much more than just OK.

That said, when you pull a random in to your group, odds are he’s not one of those highly skilled rangers. It’s a lot easier to just boot and grab the next person.

I’m really getting tired of all the kiddo’s saying rangers are fine and people are jerks. They’re not fine. Just because your guild/friends put up with your class and run things with you doesn’t mean you’re fine – it just means they’re good friends.

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Well to be honest, it IS pretty stupid to kick somebody from the team just because of their class, especially in a game where every role can serve a purpose. And in AC and CoF, two of the easiest dungeons in the game (despite what people think, AC is still easy despite the upgrade)? If you kick somebody for their class in those dungeons, you HAVE to be thinking wrong.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: evolverzilla.2359

evolverzilla.2359

There is a lot of players that don´t want to play as mesmer, warrior or guardian but want to make some easy money on a easy dungeon. Like some said, make de story mode, start a group an look for players. Most of them on a sucessful run will even stay and “farm” with you.

Forget about these speed run groups, they will never accept another class other than their “perfect” setup.

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

They want him stowed for a different class because regardless of what people here tell you a ranger’s damage is terrible compared to warrior/mesmer/guardian, his burst relies on pets that die easily, and he brings no utility like many group boons and reflection or group haste.

Your best bet is starting a group of your own, but be cognizant that you’re slowing others down if they’re competent.

Most people like to bring up skill and not dying, but in a skilled group nobody will be dying often regardless of class but your ranger is guaranteed bad DPS and utility regardless of the player behind it.

Just go sit with the necros and (to a lesser extent) engineers. They’re overshadowed as well.

Posted by: Lexandro.1456

Lexandro.1456

Some total nonsense in this thread about rangers. Rangers are not that bad, infact I as a ranger have never BEEN kicked from a party becuase of my class. Infact I get INVITES to join parties where peple have played with me before and know that I play well as one.

As with any class its all in the build. Far to many people simply do not understand how a ranger works, and instead say that suck in general. Yes rangers could do with a damage buff, but people always forget that your pet is where the rest of your “DPS” is. A ranger who knows when to leash or switch pets for best effect will help a team massively. Similarly knowing what weapons are best for your style of ranger helps massively. In almost every team I play in, when things get tough and player die I am the last one standing and I am the one who saves the team from a bad wipe. We get protection on dodges for both us and our pet, regen when poisoned/burning etc, plenty of support spirits (that can actually come with if we want), and base regen with troll ungent that can be buffed to go party wide (dwayna runes), party wide regen from pets, etc etc.

So if you are kicking rangers just because they are rangers or think they are so bad that they are of no use, you are frankly an idiot. Stay in your little clique away from the rest of us right minded players who dont CARE what class you use as long as you can play and the rest of us will be happy.

(edited by Lexandro.1456)

Posted by: Shadowfist.2708

Shadowfist.2708

Some total nonsense in this thread about rangers. Rangers are not that bad, infact I as a ranger have never BEEN kicked from a party becuase of my class. Infact I get INVITES to join parties where peple have played with me before and know that I play well as one.

Yeah… pretty sure that if rangers were as awesome as people such as yourself keep spouting, there wouldn’t be these threads talking about why a very large majority of players hate having them in their groups. Even in groups that are successful with a ranger, it likely would have been done a lot faster with a different class.

Sorry but it is what it is. Rangers need fixing.

Many rangers that I know have rerolled because they are acutely aware of how godawful they are compared to other classes. At some point the blinders have to come off and you have to just accept it for what it is and wait for the (hopefully) incoming buffs.

Posted by: Strifey.7215

Strifey.7215

Not much you can do but roll another class or hope Anet makes them better in dungeons.

For anyone saying you can bring a ranger into a dungeon and do fine, you are correct, but if you were a good player, then bringing another class would just do it faster and easier and offer more to the group.

That’s why people don’t want rangers, there’s more leeway to be bad and not help the group.

Guard/War/Mesmer and Dungeon Guides:
https://www.youtube.com/user/strife025

Lexandro.1456

Yeah… pretty sure that if rangers were as awesome as people such as yourself keep spouting, there wouldn’t be these threads talking about why a very large majority of players hate having them in their groups. Even in groups that are successful with a ranger, it likely would have been done a lot faster with a different class.

Sorry but it is what it is. Rangers need fixing.

Many rangers that I know have rerolled because they are acutely aware of how godawful they are compared to other classes. At some point the blinders have to come off and you have to just accept it for what it is and wait for the (hopefully) incoming buffs.

I didnt say they were “awesome” and infact pointed out that imo they need a damage buff. And I would agree that pet mechanics need reworking. However they are definately not as bad as people make out. Infact I will wager that the people stating they are crap are in fact just crap players as a ranger.

Compared to a zerker warrior OF COURSE a ranger will have less damage as rangers are not a faceroll class. Which is where most people fail badly. They cant faceroll content and then complain the class is garbage. Being a ranger requires co-oridination of your skills.

Like if warrior is in the thick of it, ill pop regen from my fern wolf to help him out and hit the target with vulnerability to stack with the warriors and get it up 25 stacks. Thats just one extremely basic example of how a ranger should perform in a team. It is not a front line combat unit. Its a ranged attack role intended to supplement the teams attack skills and improve effectiveness.

At the end of the day, my ranger has plenty of people who will invite me to join them because I can play rangers properly. I get in to dungeons and fractals easily, and very very rarely do I have issues. When I do have issues its normally due to another player sucking and dragging the team down, not because of the class they are, simply because that player dragging us down is crap fullstop.

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

They want him stowed for a different class because regardless of what people here tell you a ranger’s damage is terrible compared to warrior/mesmer/guardian, his burst relies on pets that die easily, and he brings no utility like many group boons and reflection or group haste.

Your best bet is starting a group of your own, but be cognizant that you’re slowing others down if they’re competent.

Most people like to bring up skill and not dying, but in a skilled group nobody will be dying often regardless of class but your ranger is guaranteed bad DPS and utility regardless of the player behind it.

Just go sit with the necros and (to a lesser extent) engineers. They’re overshadowed as well.

Ahh Zenith, always talking bad about the Ranger, Necro, and Engi. Do I REALLY need to remind you of this point of the power of a CD build ranger with traps, and how useful they are?

For anyone saying you can bring a ranger into a dungeon and do fine, you are correct, but if you were a good player, then bringing another class would just do it faster and easier and offer more to the group.

That’s why people don’t want rangers, there’s more leeway to be bad and not help the group.

Ironically, most of the time when a party I’m in during a dungeon fails, it’s not because of the Ranger…it’s because of the Guardian, Warrior, or Elementalist. You know, those ‘most wanted’ classes? Well because they’re easier to roll with than other classes, you’re more likely to find high leveled noobs rather than actual good players. In fact, in almost every dungeon run I’ve failed, we failed because those classes didn’t know how to play them well enough to pull their weight.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: Ioflux.4369

Ioflux.4369

A pro ranger > a noob warrior.
A pro ranger < a pro warrior.

More often than not, it’s not the class that sucks, its the player behind it making the class look bad.

2 Equally skilled player plays a warrior and a ranger.

The warrior achieves X amount of dps.
The ranger achieves a fraction of X amount of dps.

No matter how hard a ranger busts his kitten off trying to compare to warrior dps, they will not come close unless the warrior underperforms.

(edited by Ioflux.4369)

Posted by: woeye.2753

woeye.2753

One would expect that the PvE warrior should have some drawbacks, to balance it off, no?

Then again, the problem “why should I take class A if class B is better” isn’t a GW2 only thing. Oh, all those funny threads on the WoW forums …

Lexandro.1456

No matter how hard a ranger busts his kitten off trying to compare to warrior dps, they will not come close unless the warrior underperforms.

Which is completely irrelavant, as a ranger is not a warrior. Rangers are not front line combat units. Warriors will always out DPS a ranger, especially with things like the GS that hits multiple targets with each attack skill.

DPS is not and never will be a measure of how good a class is. This is why so many “glass cannons” fail miserably in teams. Far to obsessed with DPS to consider that survivability and tactical ability are equaly as important in an RPG game.

Also note that in underwater combat a ranger is superb, particularly with an armor fish pet since this pet gets regen on attack skills by default and has a stun F2 skill. Again those kicking players solely for being a ranger are fools who dont understand the class role.

Ioflux.4369

Which is completely irrelavant, as a ranger is not a warrior. Rangers are not front line combat units. Warriors will always out DPS a ranger, especially with things like the GS that hits multiple targets with each attack skill.

DPS is not and never will be a measure of how good a class is. This is why so many “glass cannons” fail miserably in teams. Far to obsessed with DPS to consider that survivability and tactical ability are equaly as important in an RPG game.

Also note that in underwater combat a ranger is superb, particularly with an armor fish pet since this pet gets regen on attack skills by default and has a stun F2 skill. Again those kicking players solely for being a ranger are fools who dont understand the class role.

It is completely relevant because I like to finish my dungeons in <20minutes by bringing classes that dps better. Warrior underwater does more damage than a ranger as well. The reason for gettin kicked is due to people wanting to kill things faster, not “how much utility does ranger have over warrior”. I love every class, Ive played all of them relatively extensively and yes ranger is more fun than warrior, but it doesnt put out anywhere near the amount of killspeed a warrior does in dungeons.

What you dont realize is once youve mastered “strategy/tactics” all thats left is DPS harder. Just because I can survive an encounter endlessly doesnt mean I want to spend 3min on an encounter when it can be done in <1min.

Lexandro.1456

Considering my ranger can do CoF p1 with a team using only 1 warrior in less than 9 mins I would say the “time” factor is a nonsense argument.

Ioflux.4369

Considering my ranger can do CoF p1 with a team using only 1 warrior in less than 9 mins I would say the “time” factor is a nonsense argument.

I like to get 4 runs per 1 food, which isnt going to happen with ~9min runs. 8runs/hr vs 6runs/hr, over the course of 3-5hours, you have 6-10 more runs completed. When the grind for legendary takes well over 100hours of farming gold, I tend to value my time in doing “more things” in the same amount of time that you do.

Lexandro.1456

It still doesnt make a ranger crap. Sub 9 min runs with a team having 1 war is an very quick time for a dungeon run that does not utilise 5 man zerkers. Again stating rangers are crap solely based on a comparison to a warriors DPS is nonsense.

Oh and FYI I have 4 toons; War/Rang/Ele/Guard. Its my ranger who is requested more often than not because every idiot runs around as a war/guard/ele and yet still manage to be crap in the role compared to my ranger.

Ioflux.4369

It still doesnt make a ranger crap. Sub 9 min runs with a team having 1 war is an very quick time for a dungeon run that does not utilise 5 man zerkers. Again stating rangers are crap solely based on a comparison to a warriors DPS is nonsense.

Oh and FYI I have 4 toons; War/Rang/Ele/Guard. Its my ranger who is requested more often than not because every idiot runs around as a war/gaurd/ele and yet still manage to be crap in the role compared to my ranger.

I am saying a warrior dps’s better when you’ve mastered encounters and learned all the strategy and tactics of how dungeons work. You’re really missing the point. You’re free to run ranger as much as you’d like and defend it however you want, it will not change that warriors kill things faster. If you say that a ranger killed faster than the warrior, then you have noobs playing the warrior and the person playing the ranger is more knowledgable/better than the warrior player.

Posted by: Cero.5132

Cero.5132

I awlays fear for my groups well being when a gs-zerker-warrior joins us. They usually do more damage to the group than good. Never met any decent zerker warrior.

Lexandro.1456

I awlays fear for my groups well being when a gs-zerker-warrior joins us. They usually do more damage to the group than good. Never met any decent zerker warrior.

Precisely. Thats what Lolflux doesnt seem to get. TTK is not that important when the team falls over consistantly because the zerker hit the deck, someone tried to res and got 1shot by a dungeon mechanic, someone tries to res them…………. you get the point.

Lolflux; Its clear you entire argument is one based on DPS. Nowhere in this thread have I claimed that rangers have better DPS than a warrior. Does an ele have better DPS than a war? Does a Necro? Stop obsessing on numbers and start looking at the game as a team effort.

If it was only about DPS/TTK there would only be one class; Warriors. There are multiple classes for a reason. Meshing various different classes skills so that they supplement and improve one another is a basic fundamental of MMORPG’s.

Ioflux.4369

Again, mastery of dungeon / tactics, all thats left is DPS. Zerkers are for people who already know what they’re doing and mastered the content. The ones you see dying are the ones who havent mastered the content and think it’s ok to run it cause the pro’s do. Im fully aware with “viable”, but you don’t seem to understand “efficient”.

The purpose of this thread is the OP asking why he gets kicked. I’ve stated the reason why ranger’s get kicked. You don’t like my reason, but it is reality.

(edited by Ioflux.4369)

Posted by: Chryzo.8906

Chryzo.8906

Cero play with me sometimes ^^ I am runing a zerk warrior and I am not often down, but usually run Arah

I just dusted off my ranger and went to caudecus C1… sure I lack skill in regards to its management. But the unstowable pet is just annoying when you wanna run some packs. And the class just feels squishy though I am running a somewhat resistant build and the dps seems … so low…

On the other hand my engineer feels much more resistant and is a real toolkit for pretty much any situation ^^ while I am running grennadier.
For my elem, I feel like it brings way more to the group, especially with dagger/focus. It can protect / heal way better than the ranger.
For my guardian… well it brings much more “direct” protection to the group.
My warrior is just for fun when I want to see big numbers and get Arah C2 boss to 50% life in 8 seconds ^^.

But then, I usually run support / tank / heal in other game so I like to have tons of way to protect members of my group even when they are not close to me. Or just negate completely damage. In the end, the Ranger does not really give me this feeling and since its DPS is kinda no fun… lots of chance I am going to get rid of it and go mesmer.

Lexandro.1456

I understand efficiency extremely well. However, stating that zerkers are for those who “mastered” content is a quiet honestly a lolworthy comment, seeing as there are thousands of “fail” zerkers in the game. Its equally true there are plenty of fail rangers.

No, mastering the content does not mean “all thats left is DPS”. It simply means playing the content in a different fashion. Whether thats from changing your build or from a different class its all the same thing. If you want to obsess on zerkers and use it solely that fine go right ahead, I dont care what class you use. I play the game for fun, not as a grind for kitten waving. I dont care if you can kill a boss 3 seconds faster, speed is not the be all and end all. Though playing through in a timely fashion without incident is what we tend to strive for.

It STILL does not make rangers crap by any stretch of the imagination. Particularly with so many players in the game of all classes who quiet frankly are atrocious no matter the class or build.

Yes they could do with a buff, but even still they do perform well in a group and solo when someone is a good player.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

What rangers can bring to team play (if I missed anything, feel free to add).

• Both greatsword and shortbow have a daze. Potentially useful on Graveling Breeders. other attacks by non-boss mobs that “should” be interrupted. Also useful for taking Defiant off bosses.
  • Warhorn, Call of the Wild: grants 15s Fury, Might, and Swiftness to self, and nearby allies.
  • Healing Spring heals self and allies, cures conditions on allies.
  • Search and Rescue utility: pet will revive downed ally.
  • Stone Spirit: chance to grant protection to allies.
  • Frost Trap is also a combo field.
  • Fire Trap is also a combo field.
  • Spirit of Nature: can revive and cure conditions on downed allies.

I’m not going to weigh in on whether other classes can do any or all of this stuff better. However, players should know which skills your class can bring that will be helpful to a team. That way, if you find a group that won’t kick you, maybe you can contribute more than just your dps.

Lexandro.1456

You missed the various pet skills – Bleed/Stun/Regen etc. Plus the knockdown on canine pets is very handy against many enemies.

Ioflux.4369

I understand efficiency extremely well. However, stating that zerkers are for those who “mastered” content is a quiet honestly a lolworthy comment, seeing as there are thousands of “fail” zerkers in the game. Its equally true there are plenty of fail rangers.

No, mastering the content does not mean “all thats left is DPS”. It simply means playing the content in a different fashion. Whether thats from changing your build or from a different class its all the same thing. If you want to obsess on zerkers and use it solely that fine go right ahead, I dont care what class you use. I play the game for fun, not as a grind for kitten waving. I dont care if you can kill a boss 3 seconds faster, speed is not the be all and end all. Though playing through in a timely fashion without incident is what we tend to strive for.

It STILL does not make rangers crap by any stretch of the imagination. Particularly with so many players in the game of all classes who quiet frankly are atrocious no matter the class or build.

Yes they could do with a buff, but even still they do perform well in a group and solo when someone is a good player.

You’re getting defensive over my statement that “warrior do more dps than ranger, hence why ranger’s get kicked”. I could care less about how much fun and how you like to play the game. I find it very fun playing full cleric ele, cleric shout heal warrior, but I don’t run it if my party isn’t ok with it. I answered the topic at hand of the OP as to why ranger’s get kicked. You can bash full zerker warriors as much as you’d like, the point doesn’t change that his ranger got kicked for that reason.