What happened with phase 2 of dungeons?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: TheMaskedParadigm.3629

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

edited to match the length of the Canach’s exp mode fight

I viewed all of Southsun as the dungeon and Canach as the final boss.

Brazil
Youtube Channel – http://www.youtube.com/t3llularman

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Anyone else find the original post in the latest thread mentioning dungeons… a bit odd?
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/lwd/Future-of-living-story-and-Events/first#post2264469

I’m not saying plant…but timing and response time together struck me as just…odd.
Either way, my take away from it is don’t expect any of the fixes we keep asking for.
… just expect more treadmills and experiments into treadmilling (or w/e their raids are)

(edited by ilr.9675)

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

They’re probably giving up on dungeons in their current incarnation. They tried to fix AC in a way they honestly thought would make things more fun, and instead they made the dungeon even worse.

I feel they’ll just leave dungeons like that and work on a much better dungeon system when it’s the time to build their first expansion.

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

They’re probably giving up on dungeons in their current incarnation. They tried to fix AC in a way they honestly thought would make things more fun, and instead they made the dungeon even worse.

I feel they’ll just leave dungeons like that and work on a much better dungeon system when it’s the time to build their first expansion.

They made the dungeons worse by implementing actual mechanics after training the community to autoattack HP sponges. If dungeons had real mechanics to begin with, it wouldn’t really have been a huge deal, but now you have people that don’t know what stunbreakers are or how to use stability, and they don’t do AC because anymore because it requires them to think, all of which was probably reinforced by the old AC.

Brazil

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

I like AC path 1 and path 3 better now than before the patch.

I think p2 is meh, but it’s not that bad all together.

People just don’t like the fact that they have to adapt to situations and bring skills to help them out.

They want to play “their way” which usually boils down to “autoattack from range and randomly dodge every now and then”.

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

ilr.9675

I thought AC was easier now :p

tho can’t find any groups that want to do Ghost Eater either…
…but I hated doing it b/c it was such a BORING fight… (& the Asc ghosts were bugged)

but yeah, it does sound like they’re “moving on”. And I don’t want to be that guy, but let’s look at the current trend: they do too much changes to the other two bosses that were previously atleast somewhat interesting encounters, instead of just fixing the bugs and gimmicks everyone really wanted addressed… Chests still pop GARBAGE and everyone still skips Kohler. Champs in general still don’t drop anything worthwhile, neither do trash mobs. (this applies to open world events too). ….you can claim all you want that they listened to the community, but it doesn’t seem like they actually did. So it’s no mystery why things didn’t improve and why the Trend of them just making dungeons less favorable will continue no matter how many ‘New’ or ‘Permanent’ ones they introduce.

It’s almost like they don’t have anyone left on their team who understood why FOW was fun, or why people still did Sorrow’s & TheDeep long after the skins from it lost relevance

(edited by ilr.9675)

Posted by: SnoodBeAR.5286

SnoodBeAR.5286

They took a step in the right direction with AC revamp, FF dungeon (albeit a smaller one as it was temporary) and fractals.. but then went and gave us the ‘dungeon’ at Southsun.. and 1 bit of new permanent dungeon content in about a year is poor imo, the endgame is severely lacking and minigames aren’t going to fill that void.. nor farming for a ledgendary

Also did LordByron leave after he realized he was wrong?

Bright.9160

I’m pretty sure they didn’t want to prevent people from skipping Kohler. Because, if they did, they failed pretty horribly, seeing how they made him harder and more annoying with his stupid adds.

Before the AC change, we actually used to kill Kohler because it was easy silver. Now, we never bother anymore because he’s such a pain.

“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Also did LordByron leave after he realized he was wrong?

He stepped on his club foot again.

Before the AC change, we actually used to kill Kohler because it was easy silver. Now, we never bother anymore because he’s such a pain.

What? How did it get harder? The adds die to cleave and don’t really serve a purpose other than for the devs to say that they made changes.

Brazil

ilr.9675

lol…

& yeah rly… adds are supposed to make a fight EASIER by giving you something to Rally off of :p …lack of adds is one of the reasons most newb PvE’ers fail Lupi so hard

Bright.9160

What? How did it get harder? The adds die to cleave and don’t really serve a purpose other than for the devs to say that they made changes.[/quote]

Okay, I gotta be honest, I haven’t killed him since the change because we usually don’t bother…

But then again, he technically did get harder. No adds vs respawning adds, no adds will always be easier

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

But then again, he technically did get harder. No adds vs respawning adds, no adds will always be easier

I wouldn’t want to fight Mossman without wolves.

Brazil

Bright.9160

Yeah, okay, but that fight was made with the wolves in mind.

I was specifically talking Kohler.

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Yeah, okay, but that fight was made with the wolves in mind.

I was specifically talking Kohler.

Like it was mentioned before, I think that they only put in the adds so people could rally off of them. I don’t think they were included to make things harder. It may just be the notion that they are there that makes Kholer seem harder.

Brazil

Posted by: Anubarak.3012

Anubarak.3012

Well it is harder when you solo him…. I needed 2 tries with my thief after the patch
When you duo him its actually easier with his adds^^

[rT]

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

They made the dungeons worse by implementing actual mechanics after training the community to autoattack HP sponges. If dungeons had real mechanics to begin with, it wouldn’t really have been a huge deal, but now you have people that don’t know what stunbreakers are or how to use stability, and they don’t do AC because anymore because it requires them to think, all of which was probably reinforced by the old AC.

I agree anet conditioned their playerbase to just autoattack and tab out because they know casuals rake in the money

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

The AC change was such a MASSIVE FAILURE, I think they abandoned the idea of, ‘phase 2’. Basically 80% of people who ran AC just give it up after the changes…

I personally would prefer the dungeon team to implement the idea of using fractals to replay, ‘old temp content’, so the molten forge dungeon would with slight changes become a fractal.

I don’t think they could go wrong with that, as its already effectively been tested by the players and the have given feedback on what they would like to see again.

I would not mind the Mad Kings Dungeon being made into a fractal as well…that was a good dungeon/boss fight.

(edited by Meglobob.8620)

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

They need to fix the issues with loot in Fractals along with adding a means to convert rings / tokens to weapons skins before they go about adding new Fractals.

Brazil

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

I hope they don’t make dungeon skins tradeable. They’re the only thing in the game besides fractal skins that you can’t get by playing TP, so in fact skins like Arah skins are the only thing close to prestige there is.

Just make acquiring prestige items and mats required for them reasonable parts of dungeon drops.

The problem is this game is designed around the economy, not the economy designed around the game.

They won’t make dungeons drop reasonable amounts of lodestones to make legendaries, because then people don’t convert RL money to gems for gold to buy them with, and they make less money.

Reward systems need to suck so enough suckers will actually convert RL money into gems on their store.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

What I noticed with AC is where you have to keep Hodgins alive while the 6 burrows spawns. I did that very often as Guardian. I guard Hodgins, meaning I kite the enemies. Last week I went in with a half-pug-half-guild-group and we failed miserably. I never had problems with this part, maybe failing 1-2 times. But I wasn’t able to kite them properly.

At the point where the last 2-3 burrows grow there were always some other enemies coming from another side killing Hodgins immediately. Maybe it was just a ‘bad’ group though. I have to try with a coordinated and proper guild party.

Anyway, did they change that lately? I mean even after the ‘more fun and engaging’-redesign?

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

If you never pugged the new AC enough to get a pug that does kholer (most pugs won’t do him) you cannot understand. In our type of groups the adds die in a matter of seconds, in pugs.. well..
The adds have low hp, but some of these (ranger, necromancer) can deal a ton of damage if you don’t kill them. And pugs aren’t even trying to kill the adds. Using greatsword pull on guardian or focus pull on mesmer is meaningless, all pugs have people using ranged weapons on kholer so any attempt at focus firing both kholer and the adds is going to fail particularly as said pug tend to be aggro magnets so any attempt at making good use of melee cleave is fail. And then even if you call target on an add almost none of the pugs will actually try to hit it and will keep all their attention on kholer instead. Then the adds keep on adding chipping damage over chipping damage, and sometimes another wave of adds spawn and you get 4 of these mob in the room and the group lacks the dps to kill them or kholer quickly.

So, like the rest of the new AC, the fight is easier with a good melee group (kholer has less hp, you rally on adds if you missed a dodge against kholer etc), but it’s also much harder if you join any sort of random pug. The whole fight completely goes against the way pugs play. They focus kholer at range, the adds won’t die/get hit by anyone in the group and you get more and more adds spawning per 25% of hp down on kholer.

Fair enough. It’s probably more a testament to training players to be lazy rather than it is to making Kholer harder. But you make a good point, and it makes sense.

Brazil

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

i played Yesterday ac to get the gift of ascalon…

I won t tell the details but despite i could easily clear the dungeon due to the usual tricks and lack of pve balance.

This dungeon is something i would expect from a pre beta…..its the most ridiculous thing the game has ever seen and the worst dungeon in Gw2 ever.

No wonder its Always empty.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

(edited by LordByron.8369)

Posted by: Softspoken.2410

Softspoken.2410

Currently, Kholer’s add summoning reminds me of the nightmare vine fight in TA. I’m sure the intention there was that the group would switch focus and take out the other vines as they popped up, but since you can avoid aggroing the other vines / just kill the main vine quickly enough, people never took to that tactic.

It’s a similar thing with Kholer, though his adds are drastically easier to focus down and remove. I’ve been in PUGs that can do this, and I’ve been in PUGs that will only focus on Kholer. The latter tends to get pretty tense and fails unless someone can either burn him down very quickly or basically solo the fight.

Mixing insults with your post is like pooping in a salad.
It’s pretty obvious, and nobody’s impressed.

Posted by: ColinJohanson.2394

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

Next

We’ll be continuing to permanently update our dungeons and rewards for dungeons this year and beyond, these updates will be part of living world releases in the future as well as we expand the scope of living world releases to include more permanent updates to the game.

Posted by: VowOfCarnage.6927

VowOfCarnage.6927

We’ll be continuing to permanently update our dungeons and rewards for dungeons this year and beyond, these updates will be part of living world releases in the future as well as we expand the scope of living world releases to include more permanent updates to the game.

Why so much living story? We want dungeons and bug fixes..

Legion of Doom [LOD]

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

Why so much living story? We want dungeons and bug fixes..

We’re tired of living story Colin

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

Posted by: Yenn.9185

Yenn.9185

I think we’ve had enough for living story/temporary content. What we need now is permanent addition to the core game. Like you know new skins from dungeon, a new dungeon, cough LFG finder cough. Those kinds of stuff.

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

He said they’re gonna update the dungeons through the living story. As in giving a meaning to the changes.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

swiftpaw.6397

So.. basically more Canach’s style living story themed dungeons, some AC style ‘fixes’.. and some living story themed additions to fractals along with better fractals rewards.

Posted by: Payne.1250

Payne.1250

……….

……. your living world ….

Do you read your feedback sometimes ? No one want your living world ! This is useless, boring etc etc

We want new FRACTAL, we want THE PRECURSOR quest, we want new ARMOR and we want this as soon as possible please ! Stop to waste your time with your living world !

Sorry if i look like to an angry guy, but everytime i see a message of you, colin, i have this bad feeling that you don’t read us, you just decide on your own side …

Do some polls about your dear living world, i think we’ll laugh. Hardly for you.

/end of the fury

[TSS] Tequatl Slayer Squad

#TeamAmber

(edited by Payne.1250)

Posted by: Siv.4351

Siv.4351

Yeah I’m not too keen on the living story content. Outside of mechanics and gameplay, the problem here is you’ve unleashed weapons of mass destruction on the world (Elder Dragons) and I just have little to no interest in ‘wasting my time’ with anything else. What’s the point of having a living world when there are half a dozen big bads out there that can literally destroy -everything-

Things I can get behind and support:
Taking out Elder Dragons or mitigating their destructiveness
Finding out what happened in Elona with Palawa Joko
Cantha
Human Gods
Whats going on with the rest of the world.

Things that I simply cannot care about:
Dredge alliance being a minor nuisance
Sad leaf man. (iunno, the whole SS content was so ridiculous I never even logged in)
Pirates. Again.

With mechanics and gameplay, I just want some group content that has more depth than a spoon.

VowOfCarnage.6927

Yeah I’m not too keen on the living story content. Outside of mechanics and gameplay, the problem here is you’ve unleashed weapons of mass destruction on the world (Elder Dragons) and I just have little to no interest in ‘wasting my time’ with anything else. What’s the point of having a living world when there are half a dozen big bads out there that can literally destroy -everything-

Things I can get behind and support:
Taking out Elder Dragons or mitigating their destructiveness
Finding out what happened in Elona with Palawa Joko
Cantha
Human Gods
Whats going on with the rest of the world.

Sad leaf man. (iunno, the whole SS content was so ridiculous I never even logged in)
Pirates. Again.

With mechanics and gameplay, I just want some group content that has more depth than a spoon.

+1

/endthread

But then again… nothing your brought up deals with Anet’s #1 concern; Personal Story

Legion of Doom [LOD]

(edited by VowOfCarnage.6927)

Posted by: ColinJohanson.2394

Previous

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

He said they’re gonna update the dungeons through the living story. As in giving a meaning to the changes.

Correct! I think some of you are making assumptions that living world means the stuff we’ve done the last few months and that’s all you’re going to see. My point is saying we’ve seen folks feedback and are adjusting that strategy to include a much larger mix of permanent updates going forward.

Dungeons will be part of this strategy, living world teams will be doing work on our permanent dungeons rather than them being ignored, the types of things you’re asking for will be rolled into living world updates to give a reason for them happening in the world. It simply means we’re going to be doing more of exactly what you’re asking for here in this thread, but under the context of a story of why it happens in the world, rather than just magically have it appear (as happened with AC).

Hope that helps a bit, I’m actually agreeing with a lot you, apparently that wasn’t clear enough!

Edited to add: We also plan to do a lot of reward work across the board, including on our dungeons, but we’ll go into more specific detail on that in July as a comprehensive summary.

(edited by ColinJohanson.2394)

VowOfCarnage.6927

Correct! I think some of you are making assumptions that living world means the stuff we’ve done the last few months and that’s all you’re going to see. My point is saying we’ve seen folks feedback and are adjusting that strategy to include a much larger mix of permanent updates going forward.

Dungeons will be part of this strategy, living world teams will be doing work on our permanent dungeons rather than them being ignored, the types of things you’re asking for will be rolled into living world updates to give a reason for them happening in the world. It simply means we’re going to be doing more of exactly what you’re asking for here in this thread, but under the context of a story of why it happens in the world, rather than just magically have it appear (as happened with AC).

Hope that helps a bit, I’m actually agreeing with a lot you, apparently that wasn’t clear enough!

Edited to add: We also plan to do a lot of reward work across the board, including on our dungeons, but we’ll go into more specific detail on that in July as a comprehensive summary.

We don’t need meaning, we need results

Legion of Doom [LOD]

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

Pirates. Again.

I think ArenaNet simply realized that most of their community doesn’t really care for a good story, challenging content or deep combat design; rather, GW2 players want to farm and grind.

The Southsun event is a perfect example of that. Extremely poor storytelling, which gives me the feeling they were not even trying, and very bland and repetitive dynamic events. But some of those events happened in very short cycles, gave a chest at the end no matter how many times people did them, and were together with a 200% bonus to Magic Find. Needless to say, people flocked to Southsun like honeys to bee.

That’s the kind of thing people want, so that’s what ArenaNet gave them. Any change to dungeons would likewise be ignored by the majority of players, unless ArenaNet nerfed CoF path 1 (after which a lot of gnashing of teeth would issue) or changed another dungeon to be easier to farm than CoF 1 (in which case people would just farm like they do today, but in a different location).

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

We don’t need meaning, we need results

At least give them a chance now that they’ve explained the game plan. Give them a month, see what happens. If things don’t get better, get the pitchforks out and light some fires.

Brazil

swiftpaw.6397

Meh I’m probably gonna end up giving them another full year and grumble about it all the way. Gotta hand it to them no other game really catches me the way GW2 does, even if it lacks content for the dungeoneer atm

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Meh I’m probably gonna end up giving them another full year and grumble about it all the way. Gotta hand it to them no other game really catches me the way GW2 does, even if it lacks content for the dungeoneer atm

And the gambler returns to Vegas.

Brazil

Posted by: Payne.1250

Payne.1250

Ok colin, thanks, … but in january, you told us that fractal and precursor quest will be “soonly”

Now we are in june, and you told us again “soonly” …. worst, now you say “end of the year” …

You can’t imagine how is our disappointment when we see every month some temporary content, again and again, instead of what you promise at the beginning of the year …

[TSS] Tequatl Slayer Squad

#TeamAmber

swiftpaw.6397

And the gambler returns to Vegas.

You got me T_T

Posted by: Softspoken.2410

Softspoken.2410

Dungeons will be part of this strategy, living world teams will be doing work on our permanent dungeons rather than them being ignored, the types of things you’re asking for will be rolled into living world updates to give a reason for them happening in the world.

The concept of getting the Living World team to do dungeon work on the existing dungeons is reassuring. I’m still a bit worried about the pace, but we’ll see how it goes. Looking forward to that July summary.

Mixing insults with your post is like pooping in a salad.
It’s pretty obvious, and nobody’s impressed.

Posted by: Arewn.2368

Arewn.2368

Permanent is very good. Living story is a great concept and removing the time-sensitive open world stuff is expected, but stop removing dungeons and living story instance. You didn’t remove Citadel of Flame or the Personal Story missions introduced at release as soon as the Halloween patch hit, so why remove the new story dungeons (which you could add explorable modes to) or the living story instances (which are essentially a continuation of the personal story) as soon as the following patch hits. You can leave some permanent stuff in and just make the event’s meta achievement(title, reward, etc) time sensitive.

Heck, give us a living story tab to track it personal story style.

Posted by: Aden Celeste.3650

Aden Celeste.3650

I see! Thanks anet, now i can have my hopes back up again, since I love doing dungeon runs but some dungeons are just painfully glitchy and filled with irritating mobs with large healthpools.

Posted by: Wreckdum.8367

Wreckdum.8367

All I know is GW2 has until that other NCSoft MMO releases this year to get their stuff together. After that I’m out! Nexus here I come!

Rex Smashington – 80 Norn Warrior <Tyrians United Retard Division> Yak’s Bend
“That big kitten Norn with The Juggernaut”

swiftpaw.6397

All I know is GW2 has until that other NCSoft MMO releases this year to get their stuff together. After that I’m out! Nexus here I come!

I get this feeling ncsoft is the problem, funneling a good portion of GW2 gemstore sales off to their other games and not GW2. This may be why dungeon updates are so few and far between as they may lack resources. I’ll probably hike off to that new FFARR game once I drop my OCD here, the beta was surprisingly good, especially after their last failure.

Posted by: ShaeMtal.9473

ShaeMtal.9473

Thank you for this reply. Just hope you guys are able to get these things out sooner, rather than later as to wipe away the sour taste a number of players are left with after all the temporary content. It’ll be rather good for your game community to, as the curent development and trend is sort of splitting us into different camps which is having a go at each other. The things you outline may indeed help the mood of your playerbase.

Cant be too good for you guys with all the topics/rage/arguments thats ongoing in general discussions, esp if players new to the game/considering buying them takes a look at it. We need the changes you talk of soon, both for the communitys sake and for the sake of the gameplay.

Posted by: Odd Magnet.3970

Odd Magnet.3970

Two things:
1) If we get another dungeon reworked in July, do we have to expect that there will be no other dungeon reworked in the next 6 months? Or are they working simultaneous on all dungeons? If it will stay at this speed, that would be horrible for the game.
2) I really hope that there will be more detail or something comprehensive and not just “yep, we’ll do something for some dungeon soon™”

I don’t attract, I don’t repel. That’s kinda odd

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

I just want to add that if new dungeons are released or the existing ones get a rework it should be close to arah style. I lately did some other dungeons in “competent” groups who had as much experience as me in those dungeons (not much) and they all felt like facerollin. SE, CoE and HotW were almost the same as CoF with the restrictment that you have to dodge – after getting warned by red circles 5 seconds before. A really cool dungeon would be some kind of mirror-arah where we would have to fight 5 oozes, 5 belkas, 5 (or 10, doesn’t matter, too easy anyway) abominations and: 5 Lupicus at the same time. That would finally be an interesting fight whereas every single playe has to coordinate his actions. Especially the phase 2 aoe would be a lol part if they all use it the same time. Also, fighting 2-3 simins with probably 15 sparks would be fun imo. Or adding other dungeon bosses to randomly spawn as champion-trashmobs.

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

Oh what i wanted to add: please no HP sponges like Butcher… that fight was so incredibly boring and long (and we even had two warriors, a dps guardian and a mesmer + whatever engi).

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: KiLLiAN.5629

KiLLiAN.5629

What dungeons are really missing is the actual incentive to play them. There are no unique drops from dungeon bosses specific only to them, like for example Voltaic Spear or Frog Scepter in GW1. These gave players a huge motivation to farm and play the dungeons again.

We’ve seen some of that unique rewards with LS dungeons, hopefully the original ones will be redesigned in the same way.