What is "experienced"?

What is "experienced"?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Emzi.7584

Emzi.7584

Pretty much the topic title, really!

After hitting level 80, gearing up (with exoitcs, way off ascended atm) I decided I needed skins. One skin was the Nightmare Court Guise. So off I go to learn some Twilight Arbor. It goes… well..ish. At times, really fun. At other times really frustrating. Luckily I kept up and no-one voted to kick me (it’s painful when someone new is trying to run back and the majority of the group gives up on them, but I understand why).

So I’ve got my guide and done the 3 paths multiple times (I am scared of aether) but still wouldn’t lead a group. Which led me to wonder, when you see “p2 lv 80 exp” what is experienced? I see some requiring AP but what does experienced mean more generally?

I would also gratefully take tips on approaching the other dungeons as a newbie

What is "experienced"?

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

basicly know where to stack and what to skip.

What is "experienced"?

Posted by: winterchillz.2564

winterchillz.2564

I’d guess that “Experienced” means someone who knows the path that it’s about to be ran as well as the class you’re planning to take to that path. This means knowing how and where to skip so you don’t draw aggro, what build would be proper to use in your team composition, where to stack and how to give your team what your class has to offer, how mobs and bosses work and how to counter their mechanics.

To be honest, never thought what ‘Experienced’ exactly means.

Apart from that, here’s a great guild that is teaching people who are willing to learn how to run dungeons:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Dungeon-Mentors-Noob

If you want, you can shoot me a private message in-game in around 6-7 hours, I will be online and I’d be happy to give you a quick guide through the Nightmare paths of TA.

Cloud of Sparrows
Fluffiest Blood Legion Charr
“At least I die knowing my sisters are free”

What is "experienced"?

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

experienced means whatever it means to the guy who opened it, aka its subjective, so some people will expect a lot, some people will expect a little

What is "experienced"?

Emzi.7584

I’d guess that “Experienced” means someone who knows the path that it’s about to be ran as well as the class you’re planning to take to that path. This means knowing how and where to skip so you don’t draw aggro, what build would be proper to use in your team composition, where to stack and how to give your team what your class has to offer, how mobs and bosses work and how to counter their mechanics.

To be honest, never thought what ‘Experienced’ exactly means.

Apart from that, here’s a great guild that is teaching people who are willing to learn how to run dungeons:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Dungeon-Mentors-Noob

If you want, you can shoot me a private message in-game in around 6-7 hours, I will be online and I’d be happy to give you a quick guide through the Nightmare paths of TA.

Ok, I get you. I’m a ranger, so if you had any advice that would be grateful.

I think I’ve got the Nightmare paths relatively down – it’s just the aetherpath in TA. But thanks so much for your offer! ^^ And I will check out that thread.

What is "experienced"?

winterchillz.2564

I’m not a ranger player, sadly. But the voice of the majority of the dungeon players will tell you – Don’t be a bearbow. This means only using your greatbow in dungeons and your bear to tank the bosses/mobs for you.

Don’t be that guy.

Btw, I had a teacher for Aetherpath from the same guild I linked to you Enaretos in particular \o/

Cloud of Sparrows

What is "experienced"?

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Sometimes it means that they are looking for someone to carry them.

What is "experienced"?

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

experienced means whatever it means to the guy who opened it, aka its subjective, so some people will expect a lot, some people will expect a little

This.

Though in general experienced means:
- (basic) know the boss mechanics and you have the path completed before
- (advanced) know where to stack, which enemys to ignore, your professions role
- (jerk) couple of scrubs who think adding experienced or meta in the search title will make their run better go smooth usually not being able to hold up to their demands themselfes

What is "experienced"?

Posted by: drowze.3709

drowze.3709

Most of my dungeons/fractals I run with pugs. When I make my own party for a dungeon on the LFG, I always post “pX 80 exp”. By this I mean that you don’t need any explanation or guidance. Examples: in CoE p1 you know what to do at the control panel, in CM p2 you know what to do with the bombs. This also implies knowing where pugs usually stack and skip. I don’t expect more than that and usually runs go fairly smooth.

What is "experienced"?

winterchillz.2564

When would you, casuals, learn?

I’ve always thought that “Experienced” in the LFG means that I should have Experience booster running. That’s why I always bring my lowbie alts to the “80 | Experienced” parties since my goal is to be 80 and I’m using experience booster.

Cloud of Sparrows

What is "experienced"?

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

This.

Though in general experienced means:
- (basic) know the boss mechanics and you have the path completed before
- (advanced) know where to stack, which enemys to ignore, your professions role
- (jerk) couple of scrubs who think adding experienced or meta in the search title will make their run better go smooth usually not being able to hold up to their demands themselfes

Just a modification

- (basic) know where to stack, which enemys to ignore, your professions role
- (advanced) Knowing the why, not just the how, so he can adapt to different strategy, help maximizing party buffs, don’t cc boss for no reason, bring the best of their profession.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

What is "experienced"?

Emzi.7584

Thanks for the replies everyone, really helpful in understanding a little more what people want from the lfg descriptions. Also interesting to see your interpretations of them like the (jerk) category XD

What is "experienced"?

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

Tips for approaching dungeons as a newbie is just to make it clear at the start of the dungeon that you are a newbie and you are coherent (will read chat and do your best as instructed). That way everyone gets the run they’re expecting.

What is "experienced"?

Posted by: Morte.5916

Morte.5916

I was in a Cadaceus Manor group yesterday. In path 3 someone had to leave and a staff ele joined.

We killed the first boss, Seamus, fine. The ele conjured an icebow and I saw near- continuous lava fonts plus a meteor storm. The ele did not die. That person doesn’t completely suck at playing staff ele.

Then we trotted up to the door where every “experienced” person knows you wait for the thief to stealth you to skip the elites ahead. The ele saw the elites ahead, and cast meteor storm on them. The ele was not experienced in CM, or perhaps in dungeons at all.

Since the LFG said “exp”, the group would have been within its rights to kick him at that point. But everybody was in a good mood after a really smooth P1+2, so he got some free tuition instead.

What is "experienced"?

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

Sometimes? :o

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

What is "experienced"?

Posted by: J Eberle.9312

J Eberle.9312

earlier I joined zerk only pug looking for experienced thief. No one wanted to blast my stealth aaaand they didnt understand how the barrels at the door worked. >_> 45 mins later im in tears. Life is cruel T_T

What is "experienced"?

Posted by: Nikaido.3457

Nikaido.3457

Probably more than half (experience on NA) of the groups who ask for “melee lupi” in LFG can’t handle it when there’s no mesmer. Didn’t run enough pug on EU to meaningfully compare, but I’d be surprised if it was different.

- “No tears, please. It’s a waste of good suffering.”

What is "experienced"?

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

Probably more than half (experience on NA) of the groups who ask for “melee lupi” in LFG can’t handle it when there’s no mesmer. Didn’t run enough pug on EU to meaningfully compare, but I’d be surprised if it was different.

they just wallsploit now anyway so a team of five braindead chimps can clear lupi now

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

What is "experienced"?

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

EU pugs>>>>>>>>NA pugs.
Just sayin’.

What is "experienced"?

Posted by: frifox.5283

frifox.5283

eu pugs > na pugs?

good joke XD

What is "experienced"?

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

na pugs can at least speak english

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

What is "experienced"?

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

You don’t think “sorry fr” is a good enough communication?

What is "experienced"?

Posted by: drowze.3709

drowze.3709

Pugs always seem to be getting carried, but by who exactly?

Any real experienced player obviously doesn’t pug, because pugs are to be avoided like the plague. People asking on the lfg for “experience” or “meta builds”, are probably looking to be carried… by people who join them, who are also looking to be carried… I’m surprised I even get through any dungeon in this game in under an hour by pugging.

PS: I’m not saying I’m a good player. But for some reason the anti-pug sentiments kinda annoyed me for once ><

What is "experienced"?

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

na pugs can at least speak english

That’s a misleading thing to believe.
In theory yes, in reality the level of english language comprehension is pretty much the same on both servers.

What is "experienced"?

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

eu pugs > na pugs?

good joke XD

To my observations eu pugs are catching up with exploits & co much quicker than na pugs.

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

What is "experienced"?

Posted by: ArtemisJade.9068

ArtemisJade.9068

To me experienced means that you have ran the dungeon successfully at least one time and have a general idea of what to do and how you should build your class for that dungeon.

Some parties have no problem with new people however the issue is that most new people are afraid to tell you that they are new. Don’t be thaaaaat guy/girl. Personally I have no issue taking new people as long as they are honest about it. If you let a party know that you are new or inexperienced or you have only done the dungeon a couple times and may not know what to do, some times a more experienced player will speak up and lead you in the right direction. When I was a noob, I once had a group drag me into a voice chat simply so we could all communicate better. It is annoying to experienced players if you do not let them know in the beginning. If they are not okay with teaching, then get out of that party. They can find someone experienced and you will save yourself a toxic dungeon run. No one likes to carry someone who has no clue what they are doing and wasn’t honest about knowing the dungeon. That being said, I am experienced with all the dungeons at this point but there are days where I will have a blonde moment and not know what I was supposed to do on certain path. Its okay to ask your group questions. Honesty is the best policy.

Subnote: Dungeon guide videos are your friend as well.

To survive this world you must be mad as a hatter. Luckily for me, I am positively insane.

What is "experienced"?

Posted by: ArtemisJade.9068

ArtemisJade.9068

Pugs always seem to be getting carried, but by who exactly?

Any real experienced player obviously doesn’t pug, because pugs are to be avoided like the plague. People asking on the lfg for “experience” or “meta builds”, are probably looking to be carried… by people who join them, who are also looking to be carried… I’m surprised I even get through any dungeon in this game in under an hour by pugging.

PS: I’m not saying I’m a good player. But for some reason the anti-pug sentiments kinda annoyed me for once ><

I sort of disagree with this, but I can see where you are coming from. I have about 3 years experience with GW2 and about 11 years experience with mmos in general and I pug all the time. If my guild does not immediately want to go I will PUG a dungeon run and it hasn’t often caused any serious problems. I’ve actually had some PUG groups that were faster than the guild ones, and I consider my guild pretty good when it comes to dungeon runs. Pugging has its advantages too….you don’t have to wait on all your “static” to find a time that works for everyone and you meet new people sometimes that become friends

If a group is super bad you can also always leave with no hard feelings. If you’re in a guild run and its really bad you might feel required to stay because hey….they are guildies right?

To survive this world you must be mad as a hatter. Luckily for me, I am positively insane.

What is "experienced"?

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

To me experienced means that you have ran the dungeon successfully at least one time and have a general idea of what to do and how you should build your class for that dungeon.

How’s that experienced?? Would you say you an experienced football player if you played one game once and study a particular position?

Would you say you are a experienced shooter if you went once on a range.

That make no sense.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD