What is this New Trend

What is this New Trend

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

I’ve been having a lot of parties today melee Lupi. Each time we wipe. I’m not one to rain on someone else’s parade, but I don’t understand how meleeing Lupi could be better than ranging him. If I’m very mistaken can someone please inform me on how

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

(edited by mrauls.6519)

What is this New Trend

Posted by: Khalen Arcana.4320

Khalen Arcana.4320

You need to know how to dodge grubs. He has an animation for it you dodge when his hand reaches his head. He goes down about 5 times faster but you need to know the fight I wont do it with pugs.

What is this New Trend

Posted by: Puandro.3245

Puandro.3245

Melee is faster, unless you don’t know how to melee the boss then its going to mean you are going to die.

GW2 Videos WvW Ele/Thief/Mesmer/Ranger/Warrior PvP Videos
Jade Quarry – Team Savvy – #1 NA WvW Solo Guild

What is this New Trend

Posted by: Quick Mouse.7635

Quick Mouse.7635

Check this out. Warrior solo GL in full berserker gear.

They also have vids of full dungeons runs, where as a team they beat GL full melee in about 1min30sec

Ranged is easier but slower i.e. better for new players. Melee is way faster but requires more skill.

Tactical Fury [TF] – Late NA/early OCX driver (SoS)
Spirit of Faith [HOPE] – RIP

What is this New Trend

Posted by: TheMaskedParadigm.3629

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

TBH, ranged is more inconsistent because of the projectiles Lupicus throws. They cause you to evade sporadically and do quite a bit of damage when they hit you. If you stay in melee range, those projectiles won’t be able to hit you and the series of attacks Lupicus does is more predictable and fluid to dodge. That being said, most pugs don’t understand the dodge mechanic, most Mesmers or Guardians don’t understand how to use Reflection abilities, and most people seem to prefer ranging things in general and aren’t familiar with how melee mechanics work. If your group can’t handle melee Lupicus, it may very well be safer to range him. When I pug Arah out of boredom or when I really need tokens for whatever reason, I melee Lupicus regardless of what the group is doing. If you need to range, range. If you can melee, melee.

BTW, it was 1min 24secs. I was there

Brazil
Youtube Channel – http://www.youtube.com/t3llularman

What is this New Trend

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

They also have vids of full dungeons runs, where as a team they beat GL full melee in about 1min30sec

Ranged is easier but slower i.e. better for new players. Melee is way faster but requires more skill.

This vid is unfortunately outdated.

What is this New Trend

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Outdated because of the fix to Reckless Dodge, but all of Lupicus’s attacks are the same and Strife still explains the mechanics of the fight quite well. It may be outdated as a solo, but the commentary is still valuable.

Brazil

What is this New Trend

Posted by: Jaga.2084

Jaga.2084

My last PuG needed 32 minutes for Lupi. And that was just the one fight they didn’t wipe. My guild is made of friends who are casuals, so I pug. I’m not going to leave my friends for an other guild because I want dungeon tokens. I have no idea were you get your “good” pugs. Mine are always quite exhausting. I just want to hop on any PuG and have fun. This isn’t working. And I do not want to solo Lupi!
There are already enough “noob-barriers”. You don’t encourage people to get better, you drive them off. My guildies don’t want to do the Crucible of Eternity again because of Subject Alpha. Tedious one-mistake-fail encounters are not fun, they are frustrating. I’d like to see our content designers do those dungeons with pugs and without chat for a month.

What is this New Trend

Quick Mouse.7635

This vid is unfortunately outdated.

Barely. As Strife mentions in the comments, the nerf to reckless dodge means you need to switch frenzy for endure pain or w/e. Still totally doable.

What is this New Trend

Quick Mouse.7635

My last PuG needed 32 minutes for Lupi. And that was just the one fight they didn’t wipe. My guild is made of friends who are casuals, so I pug. I’m not going to leave my friends for an other guild because I want dungeon tokens. I have no idea were you get your “good” pugs. Mine are always quite exhausting. I just want to hop on any PuG and have fun. This isn’t working. And I do not want to solo Lupi!
There are already enough “noob-barriers”. You don’t encourage people to get better, you drive them off. My guildies don’t want to do the Crucible of Eternity again because of Subject Alpha. Tedious one-mistake-fail encounters are not fun, they are frustrating. I’d like to see our content designers do those dungeons with pugs and without chat for a month.

I have taken tonnes of pugs on arah. Once you get to lupi just explain a few things to them:
Tell them to go ranged: it’s easier and more pug-friendly
Explain the mechanics: 3phases, dodge this, blah blah blah
Take stability and blocking skills a must.
Never had a problem with any of my pugs.

What is this New Trend

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Where do I get my good pugs? RNG like everything else in the game.

Driving people away and not helping them improve? I’m not sure who this is directed at, but I spent over a month doing Arah path 4 multiple times a day so I could master the Simin encounter and hopefully get the Bloodstone Fragment recipe. I spent time with each group explaining every single encounter and teaching them fights in an attempt to help them improve.

You don’t want to leave your friends? You can join multiple guilds. You have a friends list that you can populate with players you’d like to group with again. Make some proper use of it.

Brazil

What is this New Trend

Posted by: Chryzo.8906

Chryzo.8906

Lupicus or Alpha are not one mistake fail encounters. The first one requires to be attentive and KNOW the boss animations. While the second one requires one to be able to time one’s dodge correctly and there is a lot of margin of error.

Though, these 2 bosses are easier to melee once everybody knows what to do, they get down fast and easy.

However Jaga, if you are on EU servers, we are many who do somewhat of pugs for arah ^^ see the Arah vet thread for EU : https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Arah-Vets-grouping-together-EU-servers

What is this New Trend

haviz.1340

Barely. As Strife mentions in the comments, the nerf to reckless dodge means you need to switch frenzy for endure pain or w/e. Still totally doable.

It’s more than doable as warrior, it has been already done after fix with warrior, guardian, ele, mes and thief.

What is this New Trend

Posted by: timecookie.8570

timecookie.8570

For phase 1 is ok at range but having one guy (who does not hold the aggro) at melee speed up the process. ofc 5melee is the quickest but it requires knowledge from everyone.

For phase 2 it’s a lot easier with everyone in melee. It will prevent his single target projectile attack and his shadowstep attack which extremely annoying, meaning that you only have to watch out for his swipe attack. When I PuG and play a ranged phase 2 (which happens 99% of the time) it is obvious that Lupi releases his AoE’s deadly attack a lot more times than if everyone is in melee.

If you look at some videos of Warriors soloing Lupicus you will see how quick is phase 2 (2 or 3 mins) with only 1 player so you can imagine that with 5.

So it’s not a new trend but players want to play better, at least I hope.

What is this New Trend

Posted by: ryokoalways.3450

ryokoalways.3450

Because it’s just faster than range. Phase 1 is super easy (dodge kick and grubs). Phase 2 just feedback and dps and you will be done with it in 15 seconds. Phase 3 the only danger is dome and he can’t effectively do it if you stick really close to him.

I think it makes perfect sene to just melee Lupi. There is no reason to take more than four-five minutes on him tops.

(edited by ryokoalways.3450)

What is this New Trend

Posted by: Kumakichi.2583

Kumakichi.2583

Melee is funner <15char>

What is this New Trend

Posted by: Master Archer Nente.9284

Master Archer Nente.9284

Faster and more challenging

Character: Kyou Fujibayashi ~Mesmer
Guilds: Tears of the Ascended [ToA] | Legion of Dhuum[LoD]

What is this New Trend

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Good luck with that tactic. With just Endure Pain I estimate less than 5% chance for success (with perfect play).
Fight is already quite taxing. With Reckless Dodge fix you have to save Shield Stance, can’t just reflex dodge everything and need more defensive utilities which make it slower which increases chance for mistakes.
Also food-change makes some difference.

(edited by Wethospu.6437)

What is this New Trend

Quick Mouse.7635

Good luck with that tactic. With just Endure Pain I estimate less than 5% chance for success (with perfect play).
Fight is already quite taxing. With Reckless Dodge fix you have to save Shield Stance, can’t just reflex dodge everything and need more defensive utilities which make it slower which increases chance for mistakes.

As you can see from the vid it really just takes well timed dodges and knowledge of the mechanics. Nobody said it was easy, but the point is that it’s entirely possible.

What is this New Trend

Wethospu.6437

I expect you have done it both pre- and after-fix to be able to talk about it with such confidence.

What is this New Trend

Posted by: Master Archer Nente.9284

Master Archer Nente.9284

As you can see from the vid it really just takes well timed dodges and knowledge of the mechanics. Nobody said it was easy, but the point is that it’s entirely possible.

You’re arguing with the guy who made those videos.

Character: Kyou Fujibayashi ~Mesmer
Guilds: Tears of the Ascended [ToA] | Legion of Dhuum[LoD]

What is this New Trend

Posted by: timecookie.8570

timecookie.8570

You’re arguing with the guy who made those videos.

Wethospu is not Strife.

Food change did not change much.

Only changed you can’t endlessly tank Locusts. You felt the food helped you for phase 2 and 3?

(edited by timecookie.8570)

What is this New Trend

Wethospu.6437

It’s less about feeling and more about fact that life-steal food got a big nerf (even against single-target it’s like 33%-50% nerf).

What is this New Trend

haviz.1340

Food could have helped when you were using fast attacking skills (sword for guardian for instance), especially if you weren’t using certain “trick” to recover all health during phase 3.