What's your favorite fractal?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

no? she only needs some of the shield taken down to be killed. you dont need 2 or more ppl to do that.

ok you will be on her and i will go to the other side of the room gl getting that shield down ^^

i will follow you very closely and CC mai trin when she’s in the aoe. luck? not really.

nah i need to be an average pug ill get like 10 dmg and ill immidiatelly blink 1000 yards away and oh well if that doesnt work for you we will add another one im sure the 2 of you will make it work as i watch from range when i get dmg from agony or skills ^^

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

I don’t mind the hammer but I think improving its skills would be a nice. For example, the #3 skill (The projectile reflect) isn’t that useful since most of the Fanatics are melee or use non-projectile ranged attacks. Maybe we could get some version of a few Archdiviner skills. (Like the cone-shaped slam or the cone-shaped pull)

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

I thought about it and couldn’t pick one tbh. All of them include some kind of frustrating gimmick so i end up soloing half of the instance or rezzing teammates 24/7.

I know what is my least favorite: underwater one.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

Posted by: Nash.2681

Nash.2681

Uncategorized because of its diversity and good pace and -ofc- cat golems
Thaumanova because of its diversity in tasks (you’ll start to see a pattern, do you?)
I’m still a bit torn on Nightmare, I like the boss fights and the overall orientation towards boss fights a lot, just the gimmicky part with the bubbles is… well… ok’ish (collision detection on those orbs seems not to work too well, especiall when playing a big char, but could also be a connectivity issue on my end)
To a certain degree I also like Solid Ocean for its GW1 reminiscence, though I don’t like you can just skip half of it and it’s overall too easy

1. The one you guys haven’t seen yet
2. Nightmare
3. Bloomhunger
4. Thaumanova
5. Chaos
6. Snowblind

I’m a little biased.

did you (help) make all of those??

Not Chaos, that was Elijah Miller. I was working on the Snowblind and Swampland reworks as he built it.

Don’t want to be offensive, but…. are you saying the one (you) being responsible for one of the worst fractal revamps (that ultra dull parts every 25% at bloom where players are forced to run in circles killing trash while picking their noses and trying to not fall asleep until the bar is filled and the actual bossfight continues) is responsible for the new fractal? If so, my hype for a new fractal just died

XMG U716 (i7 6700, 16GB DDR4@2133Mhz, GTX980m, Samsung 850Evo 250 GB, Seagate SSHD 500GB)

Leader of “Servants of Balance” [SoB], a small guild endemic to the FSP.

zealex.9410

I don’t mind the hammer but I think improving its skills would be a nice. For example, the #3 skill (The projectile reflect) isn’t that useful since most of the Fanatics are melee or use non-projectile ranged attacks. Maybe we could get some version of a few Archdiviner skills. (Like the cone-shaped slam or the cone-shaped pull)

Actually skill 3 is the most usefull as it denys the stun you get at 30 stacks which can be really good when rushing in the last set of seal u just gotta time it. But id like to see the skill 2 change now thats useless.

Posted by: Benjamin Arnold

Previous

Benjamin Arnold

Content Programmer

Next

This is a neat idea.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Actually skill 3 is the most usefull as it denys the stun you get at 30 stacks which can be really good when rushing in the last set of seal u just gotta time it. But id like to see the skill 2 change now thats useless.

Same — I use #3 often; never use #2. (That said: I agree with BA; be neat to see some of Archie’s skills on the bar.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

How would you drop the hammer if it was no longer a bundle? Making it a SAS seems like it would nullify the hot potato mechanic.

Being honest, the hot potato mechanic isn’t fun because it replaces your weapon skills, which are a massive reason for even playing a class in Fractals. The only way it would be worth it is if carrying the hammer were stronger than your weapon skills, and even that would be annoying.

That said, if you wanted to use the special action key and have it retain the hot potato feel, you could use the special action key as a “kit” that would swap between the hammer skills and your weapon skills. You’d then make the 5 skill on the hammer version of the kit “drop” the hammer and stop your growing ticks. Others would then get an activated special action key when they picked it up, and could swap to the hammer skills using their special action key.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Rising Dusk.2408

Don’t want to be offensive, but…. are you saying the one (you) being responsible for one of the worst fractal revamps (that ultra dull parts every 25% at bloom where players are forced to run in circles killing trash while picking their noses and trying to not fall asleep until the bar is filled and the actual bossfight continues) is responsible for the new fractal? If so, my hype for a new fractal just died

While this is a pretty unnecessarily pointed post, there’s some merit here. Mechanics like Mai Trin’s cannon phase and Bloomhunger’s army phase are pretty boring because you stop fighting the actual boss for an extended period of time. A neat way to address this for Bloomhunger would be to make the champion Oakheart spawn during the army phase and have the army phase end when it dies. That way you’re still beating up a big guy that you can focus on. This is similar to how the elite Icebrood Goliath works in the Snowblind Fractal, which is a great mechanic.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Talindra.4958

Talindra.4958

1. The one you guys haven’t seen yet
2. Nightmare
3. Bloomhunger
4. Thaumanova
5. Chaos
6. Snowblind

I’m a little biased.

I like all the fractals maps.. but the jade maw’s remain original and is one of the map that I had most fond memories compared with the others fractal maps.

Champion Magus & Phantom, Demon’s Demise, The Archdesigner.
Death is Energy [DIE] – Gandara EU
Australia

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

Please don’t make Fractals any more elaborate, there’s a reason people like the simplicity of many of the core fractals. Kinda like jumping puzzles, they’re just getting more ridiculous with every release.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Please don’t make Fractals any more elaborate, there’s a reason people like the simplicity of many of the core fractals. Kinda like jumping puzzles, they’re just getting more ridiculous with every release.

Disagree.

Complexity is necessary to promote diversity and challenge.

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

I don’t subscribe to the thought that something needs to be complex to be challenging. It’s the lazy way of design.

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

My favourites are:

Urban (with a team that doesn’t flatline at the first door…) – race change (I play asura), fun mechanics.
Solid Ocean – nice environment, easy and relaxing to play.
Chaos – the different areas keep things fresh.
Mai Trin – nice and short.
Uncategorised – apart from the poison golem it’s a fun fractal.

On the other hand I really really hate the first section of Swampland, even though everything after that is reasonably cool.

I play fractals for rewards so any tedious challenge is not welcome, I just want to be moderately challenged and get the rewards/dailies in a reasonable time frame.

Previous

Benjamin Arnold

Content Programmer

Next

I don’t subscribe to the thought that something needs to be complex to be challenging. It’s the lazy way of design.

We don’t subscribe to that notion either. I do believe however that it is acceptable for some fractals to be more complex than others, especially ones that are part of an important arc. It is also true that a more complex challenge is not necessarily a lazy design. What is most important to us is that each fractal provides a unique and interesting challenge, and we have to be aware that not every challenge will appeal to every player.

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

I’m popping here just to add that the hot potato mechanic and Mai Trin’s cannon phase are mechanics that I enjoy a lot. They also make me use some skills in unusual ways (especially leaps, swiftness, and the like during the cannons).

I don’t usually write in this section of the forums, and I got to this thread through Dev Tracker, but reading some of the comments about how “boring” the hammer is or how “boring” the cannon phase is gave me incentive to post this comment.

That being said, I agree that the hammer’s skills are lame and feel lame. I wouldn’t mind something stronger and more epic, perhaps even slightly overpowered. Put some high cooldowns on them, so that players who get to use those skills won’t feel bad for dropping the hammer when they have to, and keep them simple/ visually expressive so that no one needs to spend much time reading massive walls of skill description for a temporary, time-sensitive mechanic.

(edited by DiogoSilva.7089)

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

We don’t subscribe to that notion either. I do believe however that it is acceptable for some fractals to be more complex than others, especially ones that are part of an important arc. It is also true that a more complex challenge is not necessarily a lazy design. What is most important to us is that each fractal provides a unique and interesting challenge, and we have to be aware that not every challenge will appeal to every player.

speaking of lazy design …

Attachments:

Previous

Benjamin Arnold

Content Programmer

Blinds and blocks are very useful when enemies are enraging, but yeah those numbers are too high :P We avoid doing significant balance changes without a proper rework to go with it.

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

I don’t think it’s lazy to intentionally enforce the use of active defenses with extremely telegraphed attacks that can be countered by a wide array of skills and strategies and that in fact it’s better for the game to include them to give variety to encounters (but the warriors not seeing any updates since HoT sucks, rush is ok but the poorly telegraphed autos after the rush are a bit much)

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Khisanth.2948

Blinds and blocks are very useful when enemies are enraging, but yeah those numbers are too high :P We avoid doing significant balance changes without a proper rework to go with it.

That is actually not from Enraged if you mean https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mistlock_Instability:_Adrenaline_Rush .

It was a scale 66 so only Last Laugh and Flux Bomb and the mob was at full health anyway but it is lv82.

zealex.9410

rush is quite the well telegraphed attack tho :/

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

Blinds and blocks are very useful when enemies are enraging

would be cool if I could actually have blocks (necro)

Posted by: Boogiepop Void.6473

Boogiepop Void.6473

My favorites right now are, in order:

Nightmare
Chaos
Uncategorized
Solid Ocean
Molten Boss

The ones I hate the most for a variety of reasons are as follows, in order:

Urban Battleground (the initial fight is ludicrous and you succed more by luck with aggro and RNG damage than anything else)
Underground Facility (The opening segment with the switches is horrible and leads to more rage quitting than anything else)
Mai Trin (Main fight is too long, too easy to suddenly lose due to RNG)
Aetherblade (the final boss fight is horrible)
Swampland (opening wisps tend to not work out, lead to fights)
Thaumanova (Heat Room)
Aquatic Ruins (Dolphin path is a slog)

Khisanth.2948

rush is quite the well telegraphed attack tho :/

It can be or it can just appear out of left field

Rising Dusk.2408

CPC is better than blocks for most trash anyway due to the extended Weakness and projectile management.

zealex.9410

Blinds and blocks are very useful when enemies are enraging

u got interupts and cc tho

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

We don’t subscribe to that notion either. I do believe however that it is acceptable for some fractals to be more complex than others, especially ones that are part of an important arc.

Based on the last two Fractals… You mean important Arkk.

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

I really like all the fractals, honestly. A few of them have some small annoyances, but overall the whole lot are pretty darn solid. They all meet the bar of “interesting and fun” in different ways.

I do have one big complaint, though. I want to know what the kitten that kitten golem unknown asura is doing, and what happened with Dessa and the kitten golem mad asura trapped in that place, and if they are the same. I WANT THE TRUTH!!! <cue xfiles theme>

cough

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

CPC is better than blocks for most trash anyway due to the extended Weakness and projectile management.

so how about an enraged melee boss with non-projectile ranged attacks?

Posted by: Fallesafe.5932

Fallesafe.5932

As a fairly new player (fractal scale 63), my favorites are Nightmare, Mai Trin, Volcanic, and Snowblind because they intimidated me the most when I started. But I’ve really learned them inside-out and feel like those are the ones I do best now. On the other hand, I absolutely loathe Chaos Isles for the fire section… because everybody calls a fire and then lights something else. And, a lot of times, I find myself sitting there striking the fire that I called over and over, but it won’t light (which I don’t get). People just love that.

Posted by: Trevor Boyer.6524

Trevor Boyer.6524

100 CM fun as hell man
Should be more difficult motes in fractals that feel like 5 man raids
I like it

I use the name Barbie on all of my characters.

Posted by: Sister Saxifrage.7361

Sister Saxifrage.7361

As a fairly new player (fractal scale 63), my favorites are Nightmare, Mai Trin, Volcanic, and Snowblind because they intimidated me the most when I started. But I’ve really learned them inside-out and feel like those are the ones I do best now. On the other hand, I absolutely loathe Chaos Isles for the fire section… because everybody calls a fire and then lights something else. And, a lot of times, I find myself sitting there striking the fire that I called over and over, but it won’t light (which I don’t get). People just love that.

It has to be in front of you, and you have to be facing it. Standing on, or near but not facing it directly, doesn’t count.

And for bad groups that don’t listen, just get 2. or try to reach 4 if you can. They’ll coordinate properly after a few failures.

Posted by: Fallesafe.5932

Fallesafe.5932

It has to be in front of you, and you have to be facing it. Standing on, or near but not facing it directly, doesn’t count.

Aha, good to know, thanks!