What to expect with dungeons?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Jlander.4123

Jlander.4123

Starting playing again after 4 months. I played with a few friends for the first month or so of the games release, we probably only did two dungeon runs that I can remember. Mainly just leveled and explored the world.

Myself and two friends started playing again last week, figured we’d try AC explore. We picked up another newb in map chat, figured it wouldnt be a big deal. After a few wipes, the fifth guys just kept leaving after insulting us or not saying anything, just leaving. Then we got a guy that actually took the time to help us learn the fights, with his guidance we got it done.

My question is this. Since we are so far behind in terms of knowing the content should we just expect to be told to l2p or do most players not mind helping newer players if they are upfront about not knowing the content?

Posted by: Shimond.2478

Shimond.2478

I would suggest watching the video guides linked at the top of this forum before doing an explorable so you at least have some idea of what you’re getting into. Above that, communication is key in letting them know you’re new. You might get some pushback because of that immediately, but that’s a lot better than them finding out after several wipes that you don’t know what you’re doing :P

Posted by: Silidus.7985

Silidus.7985

Sounds like you found a poor player for your 5th. I am always happy to do AC with new or inexperienced players, and there are lots of others too.

Posted by: Kumakichi.2583

Kumakichi.2583

I was a late starter by about 2 months after the game was released. I was playing another f2p game. I watched video’s and read up on strategies. Even that doesn’t get you enough info but its at least a start.

I think you’ll its a mix of people. Some helpful some not so much. I notice that in my guild many unexperienced players group together to run explore modes they’ve never done before. It takes em awhile to get thru but I guess they like learning it together.

Jlander.4123

I would suggest watching the video guides linked at the top of this forum before doing an explorable so you at least have some idea of what you’re getting into. Above that, communication is key in letting them know you’re new. You might get some pushback because of that immediately, but that’s a lot better than them finding out after several wipes that you don’t know what you’re doing :P

I have watched videos on youtube about dungeons and dungeon builds. Most times I have just as many questions before I watch because most of them tell you to do something completely different from the other one. I will check out said videos though, thanks.

What are some of the more newb friendly dungeons to kinda get your feet wet in the world of dungeons? Its been months but I remember CM being face roll?

Jlander.4123

I was a late starter by about 2 months after the game was released. I was playing another f2p game. I watched video’s and read up on strategies. Even that doesn’t get you enough info but its at least a start.

I think you’ll its a mix of people. Some helpful some not so much. I notice that in my guild many unexperienced players group together to run explore modes they’ve never done before. It takes em awhile to get thru but I guess they like learning it together.

I like learning through trial and error myself but it feels like im ruining someone elses fun doing so. Maybe I need two more friends.

Posted by: Shimond.2478

Shimond.2478

I like learning through trial and error myself but it feels like im ruining someone elses fun doing so. Maybe I need two more friends.

That’s how I do them myself, in a guild with like-minded people so we’re not holding up/disappointing the powergamers who just want fast tokens.

Posted by: Bullfrog.1324

Bullfrog.1324

I love helping new people learn dungeons, regardless of how long I’ve been playing. Someone had to help me through a dungeon the first time I ran it, and I like returning the favor (over and over again). What I absolutely hate is when people have never run the dungeon before but don’t say anything! That’s when I get frustrated because I assume that they know what they’re doing, but they’re either incompetent or unwilling.

I’m not saying you did this, just getting it out there for others to read. In my experience, just letting people know when forming a group that you’re new to the dungeon should be enough to find a good team. Yeah, a lot of people will leave / kick you, but when a team is finally together, it’ll probably work out smoothly.

I’d rather regret something I’d done than regret doing nothing.
[Profession Synonym] Lexxi [ANGL] – Tarnished Coast

Jlander.4123

I love helping new people learn dungeons, regardless of how long I’ve been playing. Someone had to help me through a dungeon the first time I ran it, and I like returning the favor (over and over again). What I absolutely hate is when people have never run the dungeon before but don’t say anything! That’s when I get frustrated because I assume that they know what they’re doing, but they’re either incompetent or unwilling.

I’m not saying you did this, just getting it out there for others to read. In my experience, just letting people know when forming a group that you’re new to the dungeon should be enough to find a good team. Yeah, a lot of people will leave / kick you, but when a team is finally together, it’ll probably work out smoothly.

We were upfront about being new as was the fourth pug we got in map chat. We had three different people as the fifth and they all just left after the first wipe, didnt say anything other than one guy saying l2p. Once we got the fourth new player and he learned of us being new he explained what to do and why to do it.

We told them we were new once they got invited to the group, should we just we are new in the lfg message? Maybe we get more players like the fourth guy that way?

Posted by: Bullfrog.1324

Bullfrog.1324

We told them we were new once they got invited to the group, should we just we are new in the lfg message? Maybe we get more players like the fourth guy that way?

You could certainly add that you’re new in the LFG message. Sometimes I’ll run a dungeon I wouldn’t normally run if I see people are in need of help. But letting people know as soon as they join is perfectly fine as well. What would be bad is saying “by the way, we’re new at this” after the first wipe

Sounds like you just found three bad players as your first pugs.

I’d rather regret something I’d done than regret doing nothing.
[Profession Synonym] Lexxi [ANGL] – Tarnished Coast