What you guys think of "death kiting"?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: skittlebob.4850

skittlebob.4850

An example would be Citadel of Flame explorable path 2, the ritual chamber. I know that good groups can actually dps each mob down before more more spawn, but the majority of groups I’ve been with have resorted to taking turns kiting until death and running back from the waypoint.

Do you guys think that there could be other ways of designing these encounters?

Posted by: Shuguard.7125

Shuguard.7125

Well there could be a lot of mobs guarding the back of the area, they pop in and set up turrets to try and kill magg and not hit players(with the turrets just the charr). Then choose between killing only turrets or attack the mobs for extra loot or a few pass fail scenarios. What i’m saying is there are options, but unless you have really high dps you gotta kite at the moment. But i think this section is poorly designed.

Posted by: Fiddlybitz.6982

Fiddlybitz.6982

I personally hope that all dungeons get the FotM treatment which makes graveyard zerging impossible to do. In that case, it would obviously be necessary to tone down certain encounters of certain instances. As compensation (the event is not actually hard to do), the FotM difficulty treatment could be applied to them as well.

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Sure there are other ways to design the encounter. What 99% of groups are currently doing definitely isn’t what the designers had in mind.

It’s just that they actually have to decide on what they are going for.

Do they want the group to fight waves of mobs and actually be able to kill them or should kiting be a crucial part of the event? In either case it needs some serious balance revision.

ANet is the only MMO developers I know that would tolerate 99% of group grave-yard zerging an encounter for longer than a month. (We’re at …what? 4 months now?)

Posted by: PowerCat.5738

PowerCat.5738

I personally hope that all dungeons get the FotM treatment which makes graveyard zerging impossible to do.

HELL no.

Do I want to spend all the time in the dungeon, watching over my body?

No way. Even FotM is horrible in that regards. We need spectator mode!

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

It’s a horrible gimmicky strategy bordering on exploit.

Solution: Lock the doors. Dungeons are not ezmode, they’re the kitten endgame and this was stated by anet.

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

Posted by: Hellgaunt.1734

Hellgaunt.1734

It would be awesome if you couldn’t respawn until after everyone died and if they would code in a “ghost mode” so you can run around as a ghost spectating and get pulled back to your body upon revival.

Posted by: PowerCat.5738

PowerCat.5738

Ohh, ghost mode! Cool idea!

Too easy to exploit, though. You could warn your team of all mobs beforehand.

Posted by: Hellgaunt.1734

Hellgaunt.1734

For PvE the ghost mode would not be a game-breaker. In sPvP and WvW it would, but it shouldn’t be enabled for those zones. (unless you implement it so you can only see people near your corpse).

Posted by: Negativity.5801

Negativity.5801

It’s a trashy tactic that reflects the current state of dungeons.

For a game that tried to push “skill” and team work, it’s pretty contradictory that neither of those are required when you can just die and run back to the fight.

Posted by: Krag.6210

Krag.6210

“Taking turns until they die”

What amuses me the most about this is that simply having EVERYONE in the room running around with defensive skills makes this as easy and without deaths (or really few).

The real men kill the mobs as they spawn, of course.

Now what I think about this… I don’t think much as long as there’s a thinking behind it, I find stupid to take turns and pay a repair bill when there’s a safer way.
When I lead groups, I usually propose my allies to choose between what I call the “kitten” way or the “manly” way. (They want to first one most of the time anyway)

(edited by Krag.6210)

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Add WP’s everywhere, add death penalty which increases respawn timer (15/30/45/60 or 30/60/90 seconds).

(edited by Wethospu.6437)