Who isn't running dungeons for gear only?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Fox.1054

Fox.1054

-Hanging out with friends
-Teamwork accomplishment
-Beautiful and unique scenery
-Interesting and diverse story
-Unforgiving mess your face up difficulty

Play Urgoz, Deep or DoA and get this plus the base experience actually being fun and not a mind bogglingly boring grind.

Posted by: joykafka.4308

joykafka.4308

-Teamwork accomplishment

I enjoyed all the same as you said in a dungeon. Our first try was totally a messed-up failure. It took us 3 hours and we only proceeded to half way of the story mode.

However, the second time we finished it in 90 minutes. Half of us are new to MMORPG. We had a great deal of fun. More than that, I was glad after the first fight, I found I needed to change my skill slots and traits, just like I did after I failed in some personal story instances. I bet the others had thought it over as well. And before the second try, we all made some adjustment, skill used, traits, etc. There was a lot of swearing and laughter. It was a great fun.

I found it enjoyable that our roles can actually be different from dungeon to dungeon, from team to team, or from strategy to strategy.

We bought the games for ourselves. I am glad you can enjoy the game all the same as we did.

Happy gaming.

Posted by: The Bacon Bard.3586

The Bacon Bard.3586

I just wanna be able to say I’ve done each path at least once in my life. Actually, gear isn’t a high priority for me in any game I play, so long as its enough to keep me alive.

I’m one of “those” players who is really into the lore and land of Tyria anyway. Dungeons are just another chapter in my game.

So many alts…

Posted by: MMOtte.9347

MMOtte.9347

Me. I run each path once to see them/explore them fully. So far my only intention of repeating paths will be to help out friends or if I find it extremely fun.

However, I still very much think that the rewards need to be upped. There are two ways to give incentive in good game design. 1. Enjoyability 2. Rewards
1 is covered for the high-skill players (in most cases at least, some paths were too easy and have rightfully been buffed a bit), which is what Explorables were meant to cater to, and I think (apart from some bugs such as hitting burrows in AC) this is done very well in the 10 or so paths I have played.
However, #2 also needs to be there. Not in the sense that you need to be able to grow in power from this content, as that completely goes against the ANet spirit. However, what rewards there are of the cosmetic parts just feel too small to incentivize it. 3 random blues, with perhaps a sigil, per chest? 1/13 to 1/6 of an item per path you run? That is way too little to actually make it something most people want to do for the rewards, and the enjoyability only carries the content so far.
I highly suggest ANet raises the chest loot (basically, make it like it is now except bump the rarity of items up, so if you would have gotten a blue, it would be green, greens would be yellow and yellows would be orange).
And as for tokens, the cost should be lowered/drop rates should be raised so it goes from the current 1/13-1/6 to maybe 1/4-1/2 of an item. The content is made to be the hardest in the game, that doesn’t go well with also being one of the biggest grinds outside of legendaries.

Also side notes: Please adjust the paths judged as “harder” to give more tokens/loot (for example Howling King/Rumblus vs Ghost Eater). Also, why is Superior Rune of the Forge that I’ve looted from a chest in there soulbound? Can’t it be account bound? Not really “prestige” to have a rune like that. And even then, it is a personal accomplishment to gain prestige items, so why not make all the tokens Account Bound as well?

Posted by: Gies.3824

Gies.3824

The gain is not equal to the risk because you all keep dieing. You should probably stop dieing. Here is my good deed for the day, all that vitality gear you spent alllll that time farming in CoF……it’s really bad. Vitality is a terrible stat, go replace it with toughness and marvel at your lack of dieing.

Posted by: Arc.1425

Arc.1425

I am was doing dungeons for fun and for gear. My main problems aren’t money but rather the sheer amount of time now spent and the sheer amount of bugs that make the game impossible for me to play anymore.

Posted by: MastaNeenja.1537

MastaNeenja.1537

The gain is not equal to the risk because you all keep dieing. You should probably stop dieing. Here is my good deed for the day, all that vitality gear you spent alllll that time farming in CoF……it’s really bad. Vitality is a terrible stat, go replace it with toughness and marvel at your lack of dieing.

That’s interesting I was wondering which was better. Also another dungeon tip, bring in some fodder armor that you can discard after its been broken, if you want to save a little money.

Posted by: Rhongomyniad.5081

Rhongomyniad.5081

Post after post after post littered with entitled people whining that their carrot got squashed… Is there anyone that does dungeons for other purposes? I’ll think of a few that I value:

-Teamwork accomplishment

Me!

Most of the folks complaining seem to be on the forums and on mumble .. in game /m and /say chat seems to be pretty chill

Posted by: Reshima.2405

Reshima.2405

I love to run dungeons for their challenge but I want to be properly rewarded. After the first run, I have no desire whatsoever to do it again 30 times. If I don’t want the gear I believe I should be rewarded with something else… A bag of gold? A black lion key? Anything!

Posted by: Conker.4307

Conker.4307

I enjoy the challenge of them but, everything from the loot drop to the number of tokens you get to the amount of money/xp rewarded are garbage. As people are saying after the patch you basically pay to do something that sucks.

(edited by Conker.4307)

Posted by: Loe.6351

Loe.6351

Yep, i stopped running as well.

Wasnt running dungeons to play with friends (cause we pug) or to feel the sunshine on my skin, when actually i have to stay alert so i wont get one shotted. We do it for rewards, cause dungeons are not that fun.

Dragon events are fun and i dont even wanna know how much i earned from them. I will never have enough of Jormag. That said i still need some source of income, cause of the ridiculous amounts it takes to travel and repair, and i would like to have some new sets, thats when we go to dungeons.

Posted by: Rush.8239

Rush.8239

lol @ op

stop trying to convince yourself and others that you really believe what you say
your either not lvl 80 yet and dont know what your talking about or just very easily pleased.

anyway the numbers speak for themselves , hardly no one is doing dungeons in game…go figure

Posted by: Aphix.9846

Aphix.9846

I agree with Rizzy. I don’t understand people who go in dungeons repeatedly for ‘fun’ ? :S
1st time story mode and explorable mode can be fun, but after that it gets boring, same story same mobs, same bosses………..
Yes an actual reason is needed to do the dungeon, a reward.

There always needs to be a carrot… whats the point if there isnt one ? always gotta move and work towards something, just how it is. Fun isnt enough, fun should be the bonus while chasing the carrot…….

Also yes agree with Rush as well, most probably the op is nowhere near level 80 and still discovering everything, which was fun, but i’ve been 80 for about 3 weeks and dungeons are absolutely worthless and a waste of time atm.

(edited by Aphix.9846)

Posted by: Leben.5647

Leben.5647

I love running dungeons with people. I love being tested and having to figure out how to do some of the really difficult events and bosses. The last thing in my mind is gear, I just want to have fun, which is why when people ask me if I want to do a speedfarm, my answer has always been no.

I understand that other MMOs like WoW are all about the shiny gear and how to get it as fast as possible, but this one isnt and Im just enjoying the journey.

Officer of [VILE] (Desolation) and all round unpleasant chap.

Posted by: dalendria.3762

dalendria.3762

I am with you Borked. I am doing the dungeons for fun and not loot. I cannot even remember the loot I have received so far. But I am a different type of player. I focus more on the RPG aspects of mmorpg.

In fact, I am liking the Destiny’s Edge side story so much that I have incorporated into my “head cannon” story. I will not finish the final boss battle of my personal story until all of Destiny’s Edge has kissed and made up. Well, at least, let go of the past and agreed to help us kill the dragon. So that means that I have to do all the dungeons first in at least story mode, then I will start that final battle.

But as I said, that is just me. I hate gear grinds and normally hate repeating content. However, in GW2, I have been repeating content that I like a lot including dungeons. I now realize that it was not the repeating of content that I hated but the reason. In other games, I felt forced by my guilds to run dungeons and raids over and over just for gear. Absolutely hated it especially when I would be close to getting all of the tier and then bam new tier would be released. “Ladies and gentlemen, restart your engines for the next grindfest.”

Like what Arenanet has done with the dungeons. I actually enjoy them now just for the story and action.

Can you feel it? HOT HOT HOT

Posted by: Efaicia.3672

Efaicia.3672

Dalendria, I am with you and Borked. I hate with a passion grinding daily dungeons for gear to advance. I forget about my gear =X I upgrade when I find them of course, but I am not chasing upgrades, I love the dungeons because, well, I love dungeon running, and this game has made them feel epic again. This game has put the exploring back into them instead of making them about RUNASFASTASYOUCANFOREPICLEWTS, I just hope they don’t cave to what this crowd is demanding they turn the dungeons into.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

just to reply:

-Hanging out with friends => too difficult and has classes requirement
-Teamwork accomplishment => not interested…expecially without approrpiate reward
-Beautiful and unique scenery => too difficult and has classes requirement
-Interesting and diverse story => too difficult and has classes requirement
-Unforgiving mess your face up difficulty => not interested…expecially without approrpiate reward

problem is:
No appropriate rewards => should be an event for casual players (after all most hardcore gamers should have PvP and such….)

As a casual player i’d really love to play dungeons with friends and in order to make some new friends also…

But no its too difficult, and because i use an elementalist built as i enjoy (aka not support) i cannot even enter low level dungeons without asking helpto specific friends that are geared and specced for dungeons >.>

So yes i’d love to play dungeons for fun but they are too hard to be viable just for fun.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: OmegaDestroyer.4782

OmegaDestroyer.4782

If not for the gear, I don’t see the point of running dungeons in explore mode. They aren’t really fun and are just a slow slog through overpowered mobs.

Posted by: Rpgtabbycat.5869

Rpgtabbycat.5869

I have been doing a few of them just for the adventure, challenge and fun of it. And because it’s something to do with guildies. But the only dungeon I plan on doing for armor is Twilight Arbor because I really like that medium armor set. I think it would be perfect for my Sylvari Ranger.

Posted by: deriver.5381

deriver.5381

I saw some dev/mod saying on a topic that the low rewards for those who are not speedrunning for any more than 2 times in a row is a bug and will be fixed.

I like rewards but I wouldn’t stop playing dungeons just because of the grind. I did them once and will do them again when a friend decides to go there… I’ll have my fun even without proper rewards. Altho I do think we should almost never leave a dungeon with less money than we had when we entered;

Posted by: rgrwng.4072

rgrwng.4072

i do not have any friends, so all my time is outside of the dungeons, and getting that next tier of armor for myself. if dungeons are just for armor shards, then that’s okay i guess, but on the flip side, once you complete it, there isn’t much to do but farm it, i suppose. if the dungeons guaranteed maybe enough shards for 2-3 pieces, then maybe it would get people to do just enough to get their armor and go home, or stay and help other players.

out in the Cursed Lands, i was able to PUG Arah’s story quest to finish the story arc game play, but all i see in /M is “LFG ARAH SHARDS – know how to jump”. now it seems like it’s a specialized job to be able to do that, and limits my activity in that particular area. I want to go, but without a party willing to accept newcomers, i feel like i just missed out on a great opportunity, altogether.