Whose got it the roughest in dungeons?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: kcmastere.5298

kcmastere.5298

So I have just got back into gw2 and I’ve only ever done a few of the first dungeons now with my hunter60 and guardian80 in story mode. Seemed to be simple enough.

Changed to my elementalist50 and received a lot of faceplants at the start, I mean i made Logan Thackery look like the Bear Grylis of survivability. Understandably I was unfamiliar with the skill bar, i haven’t played ele for ages and yada yada blah.

Anyway it just made me wonder as a general question, which class do you think has it the hardest in dungeons?

Posted by: Hobbitz.5831

Hobbitz.5831

hunter60

Hunters.

They’re so bad I’ve never seen one in a dungeon.

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Necros. I’d also say Rangers but most get kicked so fast they don’t even make it inside the dungeon.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

kcmastere.5298

they really should be called hunters :P

Posted by: dutchiez.7502

dutchiez.7502

Why?

Nova [rT]

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

I’d say Necro.

My Ranger can run CoF/HotW and most PuGs I’ve been welcomed it with open arms.. My Necro gets insta kicked on AC. No small talks, no Hi’s, no Hello’s. They see that “skull” on the party list, that’s it.

AC. -_-

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

kcmastere.5298

Why?

Because I used to play Ragnarok for a long time and there was an archer class that had a pet and it was called a hunter, thats why! :P
Brain has yet to accept the “ranger” name >.<

Plus I think it suits it better, no?

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

Why?

Because I used to play Ragnarok for a long time and there was an archer class that had a pet and it was called a hunter, thats why! :P

Oye.

A RO player.

Pretty sure the third job is Ranger. I could be wrong.

It’s:

Archer – Hunter – High Archer – Sniper – Ranger?

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

kcmastere.5298

Why?

Oye.

A RO player.

Pretty sure the third job is Ranger. I could be wrong.

It’s:

Archer – Hunter – High Archer – Sniper – Ranger?

Haha I think your right but when I played there was never a Ranger class, like it wasn’t released then. It was only up to the Sniper.

Side note, I miss RO <3

Posted by: Molch.2078

Molch.2078

I think noobs have the hardest time in dungeons. Then necros.

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

Rangers are beasts in dungeons and everywhere else in the game. Who has it the worst is bad players who don’t know what their classes are capable of. Staff eles wreck dungeons too. Necros might have a tough time from lake of mobility but that hardly matters for such a powerful class as the necro

Posted by: Tachii.3506

Tachii.3506

Don’t need no necros or rangers. The majority of them I see use CC and get trash mobs out of a stack. It’s slightly annoying.

SBI – Thief and the occasional Guardian & Warrior.

Posted by: notabot.3497

notabot.3497

But rangers aren’t an archer class. Never seen a good ranger even use a bow.

Posted by: thomasgjkgwdn.4760

thomasgjkgwdn.4760

hunter60

Hunters.

They’re so bad I’ve never seen one in a dungeon.

i’ve been in quite a few on my ranger

thomasgjkgwdn.4760

Necros. I’d also say Rangers but most get kicked so fast they don’t even make it inside the dungeon.

i’ve never been kicked on my ranger.

thomasgjkgwdn.4760

Anyway it just made me wonder as a general question, which class do you think has it the hardest in dungeons?

it really depends. build, gear, setup of the rest of the group… some runs (i’ve got one of each profession) i really notice when condition cleansing is important. others, it’s dodging. meaning, if you’re not self-sufficient (a measure of skill is involved here, obviously) in avoiding bad stuff happening to you, it’s gonna be harder. can’t rely on the group to supply exactly what you need.

Wondrouswall.7169

cool story bro

thomasgjkgwdn.4760

cool story bro

it’s not “cool”, it’s true. i don’t think i’ve ever seen a ranger get kicked either, like, just for being a ranger. i don’t see a lot of people get kicked, except for people who don’t show up, or don’t comply with advertising requirements.

were you talking high-level FOTM or something? some sort of snobbery? i’m only running dungeons.

Posted by: LittleLepton.8915

LittleLepton.8915

cool story bro

it’s not “cool”, it’s true. i don’t think i’ve ever seen a ranger get kicked either, like, just for being a ranger. i don’t see a lot of people get kicked, except for people who don’t show up, or don’t comply with advertising requirements.

were you talking high-level FOTM or something? some sort of snobbery? i’m only running dungeons.

I’ll be honest, I kicked 3 rangers last week for being rangers that couldn’t ping a single melee weapon set.

If they want to be rangers, fine, but I’m not going to sit there on my elementalist in melee range not dying aside their dead bears while they camp longbow acting like they’re doing something for the party. No way, no how.

I don’t know who has it roughest in dungeons, but it’s likely anyone who doesn’t know that their class is capable of more than auto attack.

You don’t know me.

#LilithFan#1

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I never kick anybody based on their profession. At the same time, I’ve never been kicked solely due to my profession either. Some builds may be less suitable for some dungeons/Fractals, but they can all be worked around. Carrying a melee and a ranged weapon should be an essential requirement for all professions though.

thomasgjkgwdn.4760

I’ll be honest, I kicked 3 rangers last week for being rangers that couldn’t ping a single melee weapon set.

OT: i don’t get why people call it “ping”. why not “link”?

i got tired of melee, so i’m using piercing arrows now instead (with longbow for a bit of aoe backup – shortbow is my preferred).

If they want to be rangers, fine, but I’m not going to sit there on my elementalist in melee range not dying aside their dead bears while they camp longbow acting like they’re doing something for the party. No way, no how.

i don’t see a lot of longbow+bear, actually. but it’s rare to see someone using e.g. search and rescue. i guess the pve grind style doesn’t translate well to group play – in that regard, i agree with your sentiment here.

LittleLepton.8915

OT: i don’t get why people call it “ping”. why not “link”?

i got tired of melee, so i’m using piercing arrows now instead (with longbow for a bit of aoe backup – shortbow is my preferred).

i don’t see a lot of longbow+bear, actually. but it’s rare to see someone using e.g. search and rescue. i guess the pve grind style doesn’t translate well to group play – in that regard, i agree with your sentiment here.

I don’t particularly love lightning hammer myself, but when the encounter calls for it, I do it. That should be the case for any person who likes dungeons. They should adapt. And my ranger has a longbow for RP, but I have no idea how good it is with piercing arrows, but I do know that there’s no excuse for not having spotter.

You don’t know me.

#LilithFan#1

Posted by: Zelu.1692

Zelu.1692

So, as you see, kcmastere, there is a lot of misinformation and kid-hate towards rangers (some of it justified by a significant presence of bad players playing the class with sub-par builds —- for example the bearbow).

If you want to be welcome in all dungeons and not worry about people’s negative opinion of your class, go for Guardian. If you don’t care about that, and do not mind avoiding LFG groups that advertise “war/guard only” then pick whichever of the three you mentioned that you like playing.

But indeed be aware that getting a good dungeon build on Ranger that works well with the current meta (i.e. lots of stacking and DPS race) will require you to go melee and go for a power-build (not conditions).

Cheers,
Zel

Zel Silverleaf – 80 Guardian
Zelyahine – 80 Ranger
Victory is Life Eternal [VILE] – Desolation

Posted by: Adam.4103

Adam.4103

So, as you see, kcmastere, there is a lot of misinformation and kid-hate towards rangers (some of it justified by a significant presence of bad players playing the class with sub-par builds —- for example the bearbow).

If you want to be welcome in all dungeons and not worry about people’s negative opinion of your class, go for Guardian. If you don’t care about that, and do not mind avoiding LFG groups that advertise “war/guard only” then pick whichever of the three you mentioned that you like playing.

But indeed be aware that getting a good dungeon build on Ranger that works well with the current meta (i.e. lots of stacking and DPS race) will require you to go melee and go for a power-build (not conditions).

Cheers,
Zel

Pug guardians are worse than bearbows most of the time. I can’t even remember the last time I got a guardian that didn’t camp staff and use their virtues.

Adam The Vanquisher
Gandara

Posted by: Cake Tasty.2408

Cake Tasty.2408

I don’t know why people love pug guardians so much. They nearly always spam light fields and overwrite my fire fields.

Posted by: Zelu.1692

Zelu.1692

Pug guardians are worse than bearbows most of the time. I can’t even remember the last time I got a guardian that didn’t camp staff and use their virtues.

Yes… Actually, with the possibility to go in so many different directions with builds in GW2, it is a bit strange to ask for classes (as opposed to ask for types of builds). If people ask for “Zerker only” it makes sense: you know that you are going for a DPS-race type of run. I have also seen request for “four zerk war and one support Guard”, and I guess that makes sense for certain instances.

But asking “war/guard only” doesn’t tell you what type of builds you want and if you get four condition warriors and a guardian in cleric gear, well… you got what you asked for, even though it might not be what you had wished for.

I don’t know why people love pug guardians so much. They nearly always spam light fields and overwrite my fire fields.

Yeah… I often put down fire fields as guardian as well and I hate it when the second PUG guardian in the group think it’s a good idea to use GS4 or Staff3 over them… Could slap them.

Zel Silverleaf – 80 Guardian
Zelyahine – 80 Ranger
Victory is Life Eternal [VILE] – Desolation

kcmastere.5298

Well I guess I shall retire the Ranger from dungeons in that case.

“..Sleep now child, they can’t hurt you anymore.” ~closes his eyelids~

Thanks for the info x

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

Yeah… I often put down fire fields as guardian as well and I hate it when the second PUG guardian in the group think it’s a good idea to use GS4 or Staff3 over them… Could slap them.

Sorry, not gonna interrupt Symbol of Protection because you placed a fire field after you saw my symbol was starting (which in my case is very visible given my big size norn and Juggernaut). I will interrupt my chain with a Mighty Blow if you place it before I start Symbol of Protection, but once I started my symbol, not gonna stop it.

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

Posted by: notabot.3497

notabot.3497

You don’t really need the protection symbol (and thus hammer) in most dungeons, bosses die to fast. Factals? Yeah, sure do that all day long. That being said at least you are running one of the meta builds.
I have to agree with most pug guardians being really bad with their cleric staff camping AH builds. Had one join a multi dungeon run group i was pugging in, 4 of us were running meta builds (2 wars, ele, myself as guardian) other guardian is staff/scepter+focus. As we are melting mid champion in SE3 in just a few seconds and running to the next area he says “holy crap you guys are monsters” It was like…. you could be to if you get of that kitten staff and get a good build.

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

I mostly pug. Believe me with pugs you want a hammer for the protection if not smashing their heads.

When the team is good after the first dungeon I switch to sword+focus/GS for the rest of the runs (as I mostly do “all paths”).

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

Posted by: MastaNeenja.1537

MastaNeenja.1537

Well I guess I shall retire the Ranger from dungeons in that case.

“..Sleep now child, they can’t hurt you anymore.” ~closes his eyelids~

Thanks for the info x

Well if you like rangers you just need to learn how to get the most out of rangers in dungeons, no need to get give up on them. Which is what all players should be doing, learning how to get the most out of their favorite class. The basics for dungeon rangers are as follows, leave your bows at home. Melee, use 1-handed sword and GS, mostly 1-hand auto it’s just too good though it does take time to get used to it. No Signet of the Hunt, 25% movement bonus doesn’t help your party. Frost spirit however does just hide it somewhere close by so that everyone can get the bonus. Last I checked Drakes were good to take into dungeons and cats, though that may have changed, pet skills are important, such as skills that give might or fury so you can help buff the party.

Wondrouswall.7169

Same. Probably just bowbears that rerolled to staff guards. “Pew pew” but in heavy armor! :o

LittleLepton.8915

Same. Probably just bowbears that rerolled to staff guards. “Pew pew” but in heavy armor! :o

I’d describe the staff auto as more of a “swoosh swoosh”.

Pew pew to swoosh swoosh. It’s fancy and creates rainbows!

You don’t know me.

#LilithFan#1

Wondrouswall.7169

This is true. With a guard camping bifrost there’s even more rainbows! Guess staff is an upgrade for bowbears too. No more lining up targets with piercing arrows. “I can tag up to 5 now and with less effort!”

LittleLepton.8915

This is true. With a guard camping bifrost there’s even more rainbows! Guess staff is an upgrade for bowbears too. No more lining up targets with piercing arrows. “I can tag up to 5 now and with less effort!”

I agro things I shouldn’t and give my party 12 might every minute! Woo!

You don’t know me.

#LilithFan#1

Posted by: mahariel.4981

mahariel.4981

It’s the best feeling ever when you have a team might stacking competently and then the guard basically just kills 12 of the stacks by using empower. Using focus and hammer blast finishers is too hard for most I guess.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) | [LOD]
Morrï Mahariel | Serah Mahariel | Morrï
A bunch of amateur solos from yours truly