Why Don't Players Use Potions

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Personally, I think that in a casual run (and by that I mean not a record-setting speed run or a solo), potions and food are unnecessary. They might give you a small boost, but in the end you don’t really need them.
Saving a few minutes off a run isn’t that big of a deal for me. I’d rather just keep my gold.

I mean, sure, that’s why I use cheaper variants than Truffle Steak for pubs, but you should at least use something, whatever you can afford and isn’t too pricey for you. Potions are dirt cheap, and you can even get them with dungeon tokens (those might as well be free!) so they are no-brainers. Beyond that, Blackberry Pies or Griffon Egg Omelets are both less than a silver each and contribute greatly to your damage and/or survivability without being super expensive.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Personally, I think that in a casual run (and by that I mean not a record-setting speed run or a solo), potions and food are unnecessary. They might give you a small boost, but in the end you don’t really need them.
Saving a few minutes off a run isn’t that big of a deal for me. I’d rather just keep my gold.

I mean, sure, that’s why I use cheaper variants than Truffle Steak for pubs, but you should at least use something, whatever you can afford and isn’t too pricey for you. Potions are dirt cheap, and you can even get them with dungeon tokens (those might as well be free!) so they are no-brainers. Beyond that, Blackberry Pies or Griffon Egg Omelets are both less than a silver each and contribute greatly to your damage and/or survivability without being super expensive.

Is it worth buying the ones with dungeon currency? I always figured it was better to do the salvaging for insignia’s or ectos to sell off and just buy the potions.

Posted by: adam.8692

adam.8692

Using consumables in pugs is more often not about being able to cut the time on clearing dungeon but about sending a message like: "I know what I am doing" or "I care enough to prepare the best I can for this".

Rising Dusk.2408

Is it worth buying the ones with dungeon currency? I always figured it was better to do the salvaging for insignia’s or ectos to sell off and just buy the potions.

For profit it’s worth it to salvage for insignias or ectos, but if you think about it, you spend 30 tokens for 1 rare with a 0.7 ecto statistical value. With an ecto valued at kitten , that’s 1.05s per token. Dungeon potions cost 1 token each, so you’re paying 1.05s for an hour of the best possible wrench icon for that dungeon (usually). The price value of most useful potions on the TP actually matches this (1s average for Flame Legion potions, for instance), and you actually lose money if you sell the ecto and buy the potions because of the 15% tax (means you’d get 38.25s per ecto instead).

In some cases, like with Sons of Svanir slaying or Undead slaying or Outlaw slaying, it’s way cheaper to use tokens (assuming you don’t want the tokens for skins or whatever).

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

(edited by Rising Dusk.2408)

Posted by: Tree.3916

Tree.3916

Spends hundreds of gold on ascended armor and weapons for a 5-10% dps boost.

Won’t spend 25 silver on a 20% dps boost.

Makes total sense.

Totally.

DnT Apply today if you think you can hang with the best of the best
http://www.twitch.tv/tree_dnt || https://twitter.com/Tree_DnT
The meta is changing at an alarming rate!

Jerus.4350

For profit it’s worth it to salvage for insignias or ectos, but if you think about it, you spend 30 tokens for 1 rare with a 0.7 ecto statistical value. With an ecto valued at kitten , that’s 1.05s per token. Dungeon potions cost 1 token each, so you’re paying 1.05s for an hour of the best possible wrench icon for that dungeon (usually). The price value of most useful potions on the TP actually matches this (1s average for Flame Legion potions, for instance), and you actually lose money if you sell the ecto and buy the potions because of the 15% tax (means you’d get 38.25s per ecto instead).

In some cases, like with Sons of Svanir slaying or Undead slaying or Outlaw slaying, it’s way cheaper to use tokens (assuming you don’t want the tokens for skins or whatever).

Thanks, that was math I’ve never remembered to do when I was at my comp at home.

Posted by: Grimezy.5679

Grimezy.5679

I agree, I joined a “LEVEL 80 ZERKER SPEEDRUN” CoF run last night which had myself (ele), my other half (guardian) and 3 random warriors. We both had powerful potions which we got for like 10c each and we were using food suitable to our builds. All 3 warriors had absolutely nothing on.

I didn’t mind too much because we still completed the run stupidly quick with me spamming Might and them spamming hundred blades but it still ticked me off a bit that there’s people out there who are too afraid to join “OMG ZERKZ” runs because they feel they’re too elitist when really most the people in those parties don’t even have the common sense to use a cheap potion. I’m guessing they probably weren’t even runed or sigil’d properly either.

Posted by: Izaya.2906

Izaya.2906

I agree, I joined a “LEVEL 80 ZERKER SPEEDRUN” CoF run last night which had myself (ele), my other half (guardian) and 3 random warriors. We both had powerful potions which we got for like 10c each and we were using food suitable to our builds. All 3 warriors had absolutely nothing on.

I didn’t mind too much because we still completed the run stupidly quick with me spamming Might and them spamming hundred blades but it still ticked me off a bit that there’s people out there who are too afraid to join “OMG ZERKZ” runs because they feel they’re too elitist when really most the people in those parties don’t even have the common sense to use a cheap potion. I’m guessing they probably weren’t even runed or sigil’d properly either.

You’ll be amazed when you start to ask to ping gear or tell trait spreads they are running.

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

Makes total sense.

Totally.

First of all, I don’t have ascended armor and weapons.
Second of all, I only have to buy armor once, but I need a different potion for every dungeon, every day. They add up. Also, ascended equipment isn’t only useful for dungeons, but also for WvW and world events.

Think before you speak and make fun of others.

Posted by: Tree.3916

Tree.3916

Makes total sense.

Totally.

First of all, I don’t have ascended armor and weapons.
Second of all, I only have to buy armor once, but I need a different potion for every dungeon, every day. They add up. Also, ascended equipment isn’t only useful for dungeons, but also for WvW and world events.

Think before you speak and make fun of others.

I thought about it.

I’m still right. People should use potions and food always. There is no excuse anyone has provided that amounts to anything more than laziness.

DnT Apply today if you think you can hang with the best of the best
http://www.twitch.tv/tree_dnt || https://twitter.com/Tree_DnT
The meta is changing at an alarming rate!

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Axelwarrior: “They add up.”

???

Isn’t the lowest amount of gold you can get for any dungeon path ~1g?

It’d take over 100 paths to spend around 1g in potions in most cases, barring a few potions like outlaw slaying and undead slaying that cost slightly more than the others due to how frequent they are used.

You are wrong. There’s no excuse to not use them other than putting no thought into it.

Posted by: J Eberle.9312

J Eberle.9312

It’s really coming down to a few things here folks
- Laziness
- Stubbornness
-Playing how you want even if it’s to the detriment of the 4 other players on your team.

(edited by J Eberle.9312)

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Theres no excuse not to use them. But im not going to throw a kitten over it. I sometimes forget or im on one of my alts which i rarely play. My ele and warrior both have all pots and basic casual food. My other classes which i use less often only have undead pots, scarlet pots, scale venom and food for fractals. Some of my classes have none because i keep forgetting and i pretty much never play them, so its no big deal.

I dont pug so its not really an issue. The difference in kill times is not enough to concern any of us if someone forgets or doesnt have the best pot for the dungeon. I could understand if we were trying to rush through a tour in a decent time. But im a casual and do a few dungeons a night (mostly leeching) because i dont have the time and the games gotten too boring. My group has a very relaxed approach to dungeons most of the time.

(edited by spoj.9672)

Posted by: EcoRI.9273

EcoRI.9273

It’s really coming down to a few things here folks
- Laziness
- Stubbornness
-Playing how you want even if it’s to the detriment of the 4 other players on your team.

Ok not gonna lie I fall under this catagory but heres another thing that I like to add, I play with PHYW people that don’t use food so I don’t feel as bad when I’m rocking super kittenty food no dungeon pots.

http://www.twitch.tv/eco_r_i
Wynd Cloud | Fierce N Licious

Posted by: TKiller.6829

TKiller.6829

5 people in a party.
Each person uses slaying potion for 10% damage.
5 × 10% = 50% extra damage.

It…

It doesn’t work like that.

Defeated by packet loss.

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Its 10% extra damage for the group not 50%.

Jerus.4350

Just to elaborate, its’ 10% per person, each person is only ~20% of a 5 man party’s Damage, so 10% each on 20% is 2% increase for each person using the potion all together giving a 10% increase. One person not using it is a 2% loss to the party, two is 4% etc.

(hope I didn’t screw that up )

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

There is no good excuse for not using food and potions.

There is also no good excuse for complaining about others not using food and potions.

Dungeons are not balanced around food and potions, thus they are not required in order to succeed. Heck, I’m pretty certain you can do most of them in blue or green gear, which further illustrates how “not required” food and potions are.

So yeah… both sides are equally right and equally wrong.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Jerus.4350

There is no good excuse for not using food and potions.

There is also no good excuse for complaining about others not using food and potions.

Dungeons are not balanced around food and potions, thus they are not required in order to succeed. Heck, I’m pretty certain you can do most of them in blue or green gear, which further illustrates how “not required” food and potions are.

So yeah… both sides are equally right and equally wrong.

People have done dungeons solo naked, does that mean we should all run around naked doing dungeons because we don’t need gear? Naw. I think you owe it to your group to spend at least half a silver for the bare minimum of something like a blackberry pie and a skale venom/lower level potion.

It’s not an issue of what you can do, it’s an issue of being a lazy selfish bum who can’t even drop half a silver per dungeon that nets you still 1.5g+ on average.

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Because they don’t feel like needing them.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Posted by: Big Jay.1479

Big Jay.1479

I’ll be the first to admin I have forgotten to use my food and pots/Sharpening Stones on dungeon runs. As I PUG all of my runs, I don’t notice a difference in the team’s performance, as its about 2-3% loss of DPS (2% from pot, assuming 0-1% from food). I DO notice the extra squishyness of my Exotic Zerker gear without the 10% incoming damage reduction.

If I down in any of the fights, I remember VERY quickly to use the food/pot. If I don’t down, I (usually) don’t notice and (usually) will go the full run without them.

Rising Dusk.2408

Ultimately dub’s right. My Ele and Warrior have the full set of accoutrements, but my other characters just don’t. They probably should, but you know, like spoj I don’t play them all that often and when I do I totally forget to grab them consumables.

I’ve always felt that they could just get rid of potions entirely and have your slayer achievements determine your percent damage bonus/reduction, and then you get those bonuses passively all of the time. So if you maxed out “Undead Slayer” you would get +10% damage to undead and -10% damage taken from undead, etc.

Posted by: Slither Shade.4782

Slither Shade.4782

this post +100 Sheldon Cooper points

Posted by: TKiller.6829

TKiller.6829

have your slayer achievements determine your percent damage bonus/reduction, and then you get those bonuses passively all of the time. So if you maxed out “Undead Slayer” you would get +10% damage to undead and -10% damage taken from undead, etc.

This actually sounds cool and makes sense. Although that leaves the slot for stones/oils.

Defeated by packet loss.

Jerus.4350

Ultimately dub’s right. My Ele and Warrior have the full set of accoutrements, but my other characters just don’t. They probably should, but you know, like spoj I don’t play them all that often and when I do I totally forget to grab them consumables.

I’ve always felt that they could just get rid of potions entirely and have your slayer achievements determine your percent damage bonus/reduction, and then you get those bonuses passively all of the time. So if you maxed out “Undead Slayer” you would get +10% damage to undead and -10% damage taken from undead, etc.

Then it would stack with oils/stones and… power creep.

I like the idea, just it’s giving us more power that we don’t need which would just make things easier.

EcoRI.9273

But we need the money sink :-(

Rising Dusk.2408

‘Dat 1 silver money sink. And it might be power creep if they did only that change, but I think if they were willing to tone all of critical damage down with the feature patch, they’d be willing to tweak mob HP/Toughness in response to this sort of thing potentially.

Jerus.4350

‘Dat 1 silver money sink. And it might be power creep if they did only that change, but I think if they were willing to tone all of critical damage down with the feature patch, they’d be willing to tweak mob HP/Toughness in response to this sort of thing potentially.

So the game should be made more difficult for the newer player so we can have a somewhat cool mechanism for us who have already hit the max slayer achievements for the stuff we encounter in dungeons/fractals? We get the status quo while newer players are punished. Just doesn’t sound very reasonable.

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

I think I’ll just use all my extra tokens and buy potions for the dungeon and offer it to my pugs.

Axelwarrior.9084

???

It’d take over 100 paths to spend around 1g in potions in most cases, barring a few potions like outlaw slaying and undead slaying that cost slightly more than the others due to how frequent they are used.

You are wrong. There’s no excuse to not use them other than putting no thought into it.

Even if I use 1 copper for a potion and get 1 gold from the path I just ran, I still lost 1 copper. Just because I have more gold than before, it doesn’t mean that I got a potion for free.
If I want to be stingy with my gold, it’s my choice. I don’t care if you don’t agree with it.

Jerus.4350

???

Even if I use 1 copper for a potion and get 1 gold from the path I just ran, I still lost 1 copper. Just because I have more gold than before, it doesn’t mean that I got a potion for free.
If I want to be stingy with my gold, it’s my choice. I don’t care if you don’t agree with it.

Thank you for giving a perfect example of what I mean when I say people who don’t use potions/food are just selfish, lazy and/or cheap.

(edited by Jerus.4350)

Posted by: Acotje.5689

Acotje.5689

???

Do you also run everywhere? Waypoints are expensive :/

Hello darkness, my old friend.

Axelwarrior.9084

Waypoints are convenient. Potions just give me a small boost that I probably won’t even notice.

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

They also cost so small that you probably won’t notice it.

Purple Miku.7032

I’ve mailed pugs food/nourishment before only for them to ignore it. I don’t understand people like this.

Waypoints are convenient. Potions just give me a small boost that I probably won’t even notice.

How is making yourself take less damage and making yourself hitting more damage close to the cost of nothing not convenient?

(edited by Purple Miku.7032)

EcoRI.9273

The most annoying thing about pots is that they take up too much inventory space. Most people have really small inventory space so whatever time they save with dmg booster is negated by selling/salvaging or inventory management.

Posted by: TurtleDragon.3108

TurtleDragon.3108

I’ve mailed pugs food/nourishment before only for them to ignore it. I don’t understand people like this.

I’ve even put down feasts before and people ignore them and/or continue to use their peach pie or magic find food.

Purple Miku.7032

Lmfao peach pie, dear god… xD

Jerus.4350

The most annoying thing about pots is that they take up too much inventory space. Most people have really small inventory space so whatever time they save with dmg booster is negated by selling/salvaging or inventory management.

That’s why I use skale venom/stones/oils on my alts.

Axelwarrior.9084

How is making yourself take less damage and making yourself hitting more damage close to the cost of nothing not convenient?

I really don’t see why you’re so persistent about this. I don’t need or want the potions on casual runs, so I don’t buy them. Is that so hard to accept?

Posted by: Wicked Rin.1972

Wicked Rin.1972

One good answer to this post is stop playing with pugs and find people that use potions just like you. If it bugs you the stop finding PUG groups.

This is so close to the zerk question, “how come people don’t play zerker/meta builds?”

People don’t care! Get over it.

Rising Dusk.2408

So the game should be made more difficult for the newer player so we can have a somewhat cool mechanism for us who have already hit the max slayer achievements for the stuff we encounter in dungeons/fractals? We get the status quo while newer players are punished. Just doesn’t sound very reasonable.

The game was already made substantially easier with the feature patch due to scaling, and I don’t think it’s fair to talk in terms of extremes. It’s not as though it has to become so hard that no new player can survive. Open world would be easier because no one needs potions for that, but dungeons might get tougher by a little… Do you genuinely claim that’s a bad thing? :P

Jerus.4350

The game was already made substantially easier with the feature patch due to scaling, and I don’t think it’s fair to talk in terms of extremes. It’s not as though it has to become so hard that no new player can survive. Open world would be easier because no one needs potions for that, but dungeons might get tougher by a little… Do you genuinely claim that’s a bad thing? :P

I don’t think you’re understanding my point. If they did this those of us that have already gotten our slayer achievements would just have that value tacked on, and them re-scaling to try and prevent power creep would leave us basically the same. So if we gained 10% damage and 10% less damge, they’d counter it with 10% more damage from mobs and 10% more HP. We’d remain unchanged basically. While a newer player who hasn’t gotten the slayer achievement would be dealing with 10% more damage and 10% more HP with nothing to counter it until they acquired those achievements.

I’d be much more for the reverse honestly, with the achievements you take more damage and deal less damage, making it harder on those of us that are more experienced

Rising Dusk.2408

I don’t think the compensation would be so drastic, was my point. They could just make mobs have 5% more damage and that would be it, or some other middle ground. We don’t have to be on the same level as where it is now after the change up. Furthermore, maybe they add new tiers to those achievements so that everyone has something to work toward, and those of us with them maxed now simply have it like half done post-change. There are lots of considerations, and the nuances therein needn’t be discussed here by us; that’s something ANet will weigh assuming they consider the idea at all in the first place.

Jerus.4350

I don’t think the compensation would be so drastic, was my point. They could just make mobs have 5% more damage and that would be it, or some other middle ground. We don’t have to be on the same level as where it is now after the change up. Furthermore, maybe they add new tiers to those achievements so that everyone has something to work toward, and those of us with them maxed now simply have it like half done post-change. There are lots of considerations, and the nuances therein needn’t be discussed here by us; that’s something ANet will weigh assuming they consider the idea at all in the first place.

If you don’t match or exceed the gains we get with adjustments to the content then we have power creep, and that’s bad, unless you think the game is too hard…which I’m quite sure you don’t seeing your awesome run in that tournament

And with how it’d be done even if we needed to level more, you’d still have new players who are learning being set at a disadvantage compared to those who have already mastered the content and simply don’t need that advantage.

So again, while I think it’s a cool idea, I just don’t see how it would play out well.

Rising Dusk.2408

I don’t think the power creep introduced by the Power bonus from a 6/4 sharpening stone is so significant that it would trivialize anything. That’s 96 Power or Precision on a pure ascended Berserker build with no Vit/Tou traits, which is good, but nothing to write home about. It would matter even less on a build with higher Toughness or Vitality as those builds by definition have reduced DPS. I would argue that if anything, it would be good for the game even if it does make players stronger because it adds another venue for account progression that everyone clamors for. If they wanted to ‘balance’ it by making monsters harder, I am also confident that new players wouldn’t suddenly be that bad (and if anything, it might encourage casuals to use more meta builds to kill things faster before they get chumped).

Anyway, this discussion is completely tangential to the topic of the thread, so we should probably cease.

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Just noticed that Potent potions (+9 % damage) actually give only +8% damage.

(edited by Wethospu.6437)

Posted by: BackbonedAlex.5694

BackbonedAlex.5694

Why don’t players use potions? well because PvE is stupid easy, potions take up space and I just don’t care enough for it.

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

Why don’t players use potions? well because PvE is stupid easy, potions take up space and I just don’t care enough for it.

PvE is stupid easy

stupid

easy

Attachments:

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

Posted by: winterchillz.2564

winterchillz.2564

^ Ladies and gentlemen, we have a thread winner!

Cloud of Sparrows
Fluffiest Blood Legion Charr
“At least I die knowing my sisters are free”