Why all the hate on thieves?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

The same number that are beatable by a team of 5 guardians using ANY weapon.

By “all autoattacking”, I kind of implied it was 5 afk autoattacking guardians :p

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

Yeah it hurts. Thief was my first class so i can safely say ive learned the ins and outs so i dont fold easy, and I can say ive brought more to the table than guardians, not in the form of buffs but in flat out making a dungeon easier. COF Path 3, I can stealth everyone past the bombs. COE I can Infil Arrow across the lasers making it so thats one less you have to worry about. COF Path 1, I can shadow step past the flaming boulders. I can rez when most cant thanks to shadow refuge. I dont need a stealth kit for hacking making me favored amongst my friends for those objectives. The dredge boss in FOTM, I can literally pull him into the oil aoe with scorpion wire making the fight 5x easier for you. when played well, we can make dungeons easy.

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

Posted by: Articluna.4509

Articluna.4509

Yeah it hurts. Thief was my first class so i can safely say ive learned the ins and outs so i dont fold easy, and I can say ive brought more to the table than guardians, not in the form of buffs but in flat out making a dungeon easier. COF Path 3, I can stealth everyone past the bombs. COE I can Infil Arrow across the lasers making it so thats one less you have to worry about. COF Path 1, I can shadow step past the flaming boulders. I can rez when most cant thanks to shadow refuge. I dont need a stealth kit for hacking making me favored amongst my friends for those objectives. The dredge boss in FOTM, I can literally pull him into the oil aoe with scorpion wire making the fight 5x easier for you. when played well, we can make dungeons easy.

While I personally love having thief in my group, just like I love having good elementalist, ranger, warrior, mesmer, engineer, necromancer or even guardian , and while I do play with guardian -not thief- as my main, I still need to point out something here.

1. You can stealth, granted.
  2. No need to Infil Arrow. Everyone should be able to do little jumping, even backwards.
  3. No need to shadow step, it’s should be easily doable by any player worth their salt no matter the class.
  4. Yes – you can stealth, granted.
  5. Yes, you can still stealth.
  6. Isn’t scorpion wire under same (defiant) rules as every other pull? Such as guardian GS#5 (guardian, who’s bringing way less to table)? But yeah, you’ve 1200 range instead of mere 600. Then again, its rare to see failure here simply because mining suit was moved too slow..

Anyway, don’t get me wrong. I love having thief in my group – you just had bad arguments. I love praising (good) thieves for their clusterbomb-spam on (water)fields, their large arsenal of blind and the damage they bring to the table – compared to poor little guardian-fellah.

Have fun

OooOOoohh, box of shinies. So many shinies!
Outsource rng → profit.

Posted by: Kaon.7192

Kaon.7192

While I personally love having thief in my group, just like I love having good elementalist, ranger, warrior, mesmer, engineer, necromancer or even guardian , and while I do play with guardian -not thief- as my main, I still need to point out something here.

2. No need to Infil Arrow. Everyone should be able to do little jumping, even backwards.
  3. No need to shadow step, it’s should be easily doable by any player worth their salt no matter the class.
  6. Isn’t scorpion wire under same (defiant) rules as every other pull? Such as guardian GS#5 (guardian, who’s bringing way less to table)? But yeah, you’ve 1200 range instead of mere 600. Then again, its rare to see failure here simply because mining suit was moved too slow..

Anyway, don’t get me wrong. I love having thief in my group – you just had bad arguments. I love praising (good) thieves for their clusterbomb-spam on (water)fields, their large arsenal of blind and the damage they bring to the table – compared to poor little guardian-fellah.

Have fun

Yes scorpion wire is affected by defiant stacks. For that fractal I tend to use pistol offhand to headshot the defiance away and then scorpion wire. =)

Cluster bomb is another great example of Thief utility. I love it when rangers use their healing springs because it means I can literally do over 9000 (!) points of AoE healing in that period. With all the fire fields that tend to go around I can pretty much keep my entire party at full might stacks using melee range cluster bomb alone.

(edited by Kaon.7192)

Posted by: Bacon.2360

Bacon.2360

Good thieves are hard to find. I rather bring a mediocre heavy or light class in for pugs. I pug quite often and about 8 out of 10 of the thieves I play with are bad while warriors and guardians usually 2 or 3 out of 10 are bad (By bad I mean die often and contribute to the team in a negative manner). I rather not risk it, and have a poor experience.

Posted by: Ioflux.4369

Ioflux.4369

I love my thief for 2 things mainly.

1. Unrivaled Stealth
2. That sexy T3 Human cultural outfit….

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

My thief is being loved for ability to rez safely, yay.

RedSpectrum.1975

Have fun

Yes scorpion wire is affected by defiant stacks. For that fractal I tend to use pistol offhand to headshot the defiance away and then scorpion wire. =)

Cluster bomb is another great example of Thief utility. I love it when rangers use their healing springs because it means I can literally do over 9000 (!) points of AoE healing in that period. With all the fire fields that tend to go around I can pretty much keep my entire party at full might stacks using melee range cluster bomb alone.

Yeah I headshot is what I use to strip defiant, and while anyone should know how to jump, sometimes having no pride lets you complete a dungeon faster and more efficiently
EDIT: And while I see how youve pointed out how stealth is the main argument here, I can argue how ,my main mechanic makes me that versatile in many situations

Posted by: randomfightfan.4091

randomfightfan.4091

1. Isn’t scorpion wire under same (defiant) rules as every other pull? Such as guardian GS#5 (guardian, who’s bringing way less to table)? But yeah, you’ve 1200 range instead of mere 600. Then again, its rare to see failure here simply because mining suit was moved too slow..

Have you used basilisk venom lately? CC’s through defiant. And as for the mining suit thing. When they aren’t covered in lava and have 10 stacks of defiance up, I use bas venom and BOOM, he stopped healing.

Check out my page for some good thiefisms :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/randomfightfan/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posted by: Direngrey.8376

Direngrey.8376

I know there are a lot of bad thieves out there but when you have a truely good thief in your party, one that really knows the class, they can bring more to the group then any other class. Many people probably believe this but yet every day I see dozens of lfgs saying no thieves. Even in cof p1 farm teams straight up kick my thief(and obviously others) just cause of the bad stigma. People just don’t seem to care that other classes can bring in more than whAt they assume.

Because thieves are a stupid class and literally take no skill. They are perma stealth and each shot builds up intense cripple.

Nobody has patience for them, I know for a fact if one gets on my team for a dungeon/fractal, they get the boot. I’d rather have a ranger or ele.

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

Sounds like someone got owned by a thief :p

Posted by: bitterjo.1695

bitterjo.1695

LMAO! People may gripe about thieves, but when they wanna skip something safely ahemvoletileblossomsahem, everyone starts staring at the pretty lady in the T3 underboob top….

RedSpectrum.1975

LMAO! People may gripe about thieves, but when they wanna skip something safely ahemvoletileblossomsahem, everyone starts staring at the pretty lady in the T3 underboob top….

Or when they want a free ride through the bomb hallway in cof p3

Posted by: RedDragon.7984

RedDragon.7984

Good thieves are hard to find. I rather bring a mediocre heavy or light class in for pugs. I pug quite often and about 8 out of 10 of the thieves I play with are bad while warriors and guardians usually 2 or 3 out of 10 are bad (By bad I mean die often and contribute to the team in a negative manner). I rather not risk it, and have a poor experience.

This is just sad you need to give people a change to learn and prove themself. I had good players and bad players all kind of classes, sometimes it is annoying but they need to learn. Like when you search for a group lfg only experienced people i hate that, how can first timers learn it if you don’t take them? Let 5 first timers try on their own? No way just help each other and give them a change.

Like a week ago my elementalist was lvl 75 almost every group kicked me because i was a lower lvl. But i have 4k achievements and title DM they still thought i was a noob. It was just sad and they group that accepted me was happy because i did dmg and i healed a little.

I hate selfish people in game.

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

because heavy classes deal the same DPS as thieves, but can live longer. guards have slightly less damage, but way more survivibility so people seem to like those

stealth = Ash legion spy kit consumble

Heavy classes has 7% more damage reduction than medium classes. Find me a guardian that has similiar damage to glass thief. Guardians have kitten offensive traits.

You can’t br stealthed while moving on being downed.

they can bring more to the group then any other class.

hahahahaha, what can you bring more then guardian or warrior? afther them mesmer?

What does warrior bring except dps? They have very limited flexibility.

Healing shout warrior? Can your thief heal the entire party for 3k? Nah… Didn’t think so… Bunker Mesmer Phantasmal defender… Half damage for the entire party yes please! OH you have another phantasm near your defender… they are regenning each other? Cool! Can you thieves guild protect the entire team? Any ele can heal better than a thief.. You guys have stealth res which a Mesmer can do with a couple of skills. I have run a dungeon with one thief where we weren’t constantly ressing him the rest of the time… Thieves died first.. or they stayed at range and did very slow negligible damage.

Edit: yes I know they can cluster bomb for AOE healing with ele’s but few do… These would be the good thieves.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

(edited by jportell.2197)

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Thief can apply aoe weakness.

randomfightfan.4091

Healing shout warrior? Can your thief heal the entire party for 3k? Nah… Didn’t think so…

lol… just lol… some people just… okay yes I can’t heal an entire team for 3k but what I can do as thief is heal my entire party for about 12k every 20s. That is 12k FLAT with regen added in as a little bonus while also cleansing conditions. And that is without the help of ANY teamate. It’s called healing seed mixed with blast finisher. Want another 2k? Shadow refuge. 3+k? shoot through the refuge. PLEASE learn the class before you make comments like this.

Posted by: UnrepentantProcrastinator.7420

UnrepentantProcrastinator.7420

I’m not selective at all in group composition so I’ve seen Thieves in FoTM and from personal experience as a Guardian, they require the most babysitting out of all the classes. Also to be honest I find the group stealths to be annoying most of the time, especially when they break autoattack while I’m face tanking Mossman. But that’s more a case of confusing player behaviours. (Like Necros who Fear right after Binding Blade)

Still, I don’t mind. The only thing that really annoys me is seeing someone play rifle Warrior.

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

this is why: 8k backstab, 4.5k surge and 7k heartseeker.

edit: oh i guess this is a dungeon thread but idc i’m leaving this here anyway.

Attachments:

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

(edited by vespers.1759)

Posted by: evolverzilla.2359

evolverzilla.2359

I really laugh a lot everytime I see poeple arguing about thieves don´t helping the party.

It´s because they don´t need to help.

the only thing they have to do is help to kill the boss faster, the faster the boss die less damage/CD over the party. Simple as this. Most people here even don´t care if a mesmer will sit in a corner and only throw some timewarp on boss fights and use portal to skip some difficult part, one day I even used a white mesmer gear and almost done nothing on CoF and done 8 runs whitout people noticing it.

So I prefer a good DPS thief in my party than a stupid support thief that nerfs his damage.

(edited by evolverzilla.2359)

Posted by: Solandri.9640

Solandri.9640

That is indeed why thieves are hated in dungeons. Too many players playing thieves because they’re easy mode in PvP. They only learn to mash a few buttons.

Occasionally you do get a thief player who knows the class and uses the other abilities to help the party through a dungeon run. That’s always nice, but they’re the exception. Most of the time you get a PvP thief who just mashes buttons that do damage, and stealths and runs when he gets low on hp. They need to be ressed every 30 seconds because bosses don’t die from a backstab and two heartseekers, and drop plenty of AOEs which will hit stealthed players.

The time the other party members have to spend ressing the thief cancels out the damage done by the thief, so you’re effectively on a 4-man dungeon run if you get one of these thieves. That’s why they’re disliked in dungeons.

Posted by: Bunmaster.9734

Bunmaster.9734

Thieves do bring some utility and support to the group even when specced as GC.

The stuff thieves do, aren’t visually noticeable. People don’t notice the weakness applied, while everyone sees the big blue wall. Or blinded mobs missing attacks vs. the blue shield on their left arm.
Do most players even realize they’ve been healed by a Cluster Bomb/Heal Spring combo?

Little things like that and ofc most thieves don’t bring utilities/support. They go full GC, don’t pay attention to the boss and get downed or die.

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

This thread feels like deja vu…oh that’s right, there was a similar thread for rangers.

To be honest, I only expect people in dungeons to know how to play their job, and they’re fine in the group. The only time I ever kicked somebody from a dungeon party was when we had a warrior who tried to blaze through the enemies like he was in PvP. After 8 revivals in CoF1 and him QQing that he kept dying, I had enough and we kicked him. Btw, he was the ONLY one who was dying that fast, meaning the rest of the party, which was a ranger (me), a necro, an engi, and an ele had to do all the damage to take out everything.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: Squally.4963

Squally.4963

I have no idea what kind of spec and or gear you have but methinks that damage is a problem with your gear/spec not the thief that attacked you. One of my main toons is a thief and he is not geared for glass canon (mixed valk/knight/zerk gear) build and even I can pull off those numbers (or close to them) on a toon if they’re not geared for toughenss. Normally in WvW I hit people for around 5k with backstab on average, 3.8k-4.2k for someone geared for toughness, and 7k+ for someone who is either undergeared or geared for glass canon. If the guy who hit you was indeed glass canon spec then you would have been backstabbed for more then 8k unless you are geared/speced for survivability.

This is the major gripe with thieves though. People who want to roll around in wvw and loldps without specing for defense whatsoever. Then when a thief comes around and they get destroyed like a paperdoll. Then they come on these forums and complain about whatever class that destroyed them and say how OP they are and how they need to be nerfed, classic.

(edited by Squally.4963)

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

I have no idea what kind of spec and or gear you have but methinks that damage is a problem with your gear/spec not the thief that attacked you. One of my main toons is a thief and he is not geared for glass canon (mixed valk/knight/zerk gear) build and even I can pull off those numbers (or close to them) on a toon if they’re not geared for toughenss. Normally in WvW I hit people for around 5k with backstab on average, 3.8k-4.2k for someone geared for toughness, and 7k+ for someone who is either undergeared or geared for glass canon. If the guy who hit you was indeed glass canon spec then you would have been backstabbed for more then 8k unless you are geared/speced for survivability.

This is the major gripe with thieves though. People who want to roll around in wvw and loldps without specing for defense whatsoever. Then when a thief comes around and they get destroyed like a paperdoll. Then they come on these forums and complain about whatever class that destroyed them and say how OP they are and how they need to be nerfed, classic.

everything in this post is just wrong.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

jportell.2197

Healing shout warrior? Can your thief heal the entire party for 3k? Nah… Didn’t think so…

lol… just lol… some people just… okay yes I can’t heal an entire team for 3k but what I can do as thief is heal my entire party for about 12k every 20s. That is 12k FLAT with regen added in as a little bonus while also cleansing conditions. And that is without the help of ANY teamate. It’s called healing seed mixed with blast finisher. Want another 2k? Shadow refuge. 3+k? shoot through the refuge. PLEASE learn the class before you make comments like this.

healing seed is a racial skill not a thief skill.. Sorry holmes… So if you are sylvari doing that good on ya. But most thieves use that clusterbomb blast finisher on their enemy and not their party… How about making sure the entire parties damage gets cut in half? Thieves can’t do that. One bunker mes can handle that… And we can face tank the bosses while everyone else is DPSing them from range… Also returning multiple hits of retaliation to the boss doing something two fold protecting party and damaging boss.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

Posted by: Squally.4963

Squally.4963

Right, then what’s your spec? I don’t know much about necros but I’m telling you damage numbers I see based upon my build, which is toughness heavy, less dmg then most thieves, but more survivability.

Also, I thought this was about dungeons, not WvW?

(edited by Squally.4963)

jportell.2197

Right, then what’s your spec? I don’t know much about necros but I’m telling you damage numbers I see based upon my build, which is toughness heavy, less dmg then most thieves, but more survivability.

Also, I thought this was about dungeons, not WvW?

I run all soldier armor and knights accessories with only a couple things that are zerker and I still suffer this kind of damage…

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

Posted by: bitterjo.1695

bitterjo.1695

This thread feels like deja vu…oh that’s right, there was a similar thread for rangers.

To be honest, I only expect people in dungeons to know how to play their job, and they’re fine in the group. The only time I ever kicked somebody from a dungeon party was when we had a warrior who tried to blaze through the enemies like he was in PvP. After 8 revivals in CoF1 and him QQing that he kept dying, I had enough and we kicked him. Btw, he was the ONLY one who was dying that fast, meaning the rest of the party, which was a ranger (me), a necro, an engi, and an ele had to do all the damage to take out everything.

Agreed. I’ve had a heavy party kick me from a CoE party because I’m not a War/Guard (regardless the fact that I am in full CoE gear, runes and 5000 ach points). Later on I got a party with 2 thieves, 2 rangers and my necro. No one died on all paths and it was a blast. It’s not the class, it’s a user problem.

randomfightfan.4091

healing seed is a racial skill not a thief skill.. Sorry holmes… So if you are sylvari doing that good on ya. But most thieves use that clusterbomb blast finisher on their enemy and not their party… How about making sure the entire parties damage gets cut in half? Thieves can’t do that. One bunker mes can handle that… And we can face tank the bosses while everyone else is DPSing them from range… Also returning multiple hits of retaliation to the boss doing something two fold protecting party and damaging boss.

healing seed is an item not a racial skill, I’m a norn… Sorry holmes. I can use the leap finisher on hs or the blast finisher on cluster to heal the team if they’re melee around me with that combo. And with that item, I keep the entire team alive while still dishing out insane dps while also facetanking the boss. And you know what else works well? Not facetanking bosses but actually circle strafing and kiting. When you have people who know what they’re doing, the bunker mes will do jack squat but timewarp every 3 mins while a thief will dish out insane dps and be helpful.

(edited by randomfightfan.4091)

Posted by: Merse Deska.6795

Merse Deska.6795

I like having a thief in my dungeon groups aslong as it’s only one and not three of them

Xplodelicious [YaK]
Gandara

(edited by Merse Deska.6795)

jportell.2197

healing seed is an item not a racial skill, I’m a norn… Sorry holmes. I can use the leap finisher on hs or the blast finisher on cluster to heal the team if they’re melee around me with that combo. And with that item, I keep the entire team alive while still dishing out insane dps while also facetanking the boss. And you know what else works well? Not facetanking bosses but actually circle strafing and kiting. When you have people who know what they’re doing, the bunker mes will do jack squat but timewarp every 3 mins while a thief will dish out insane dps and be helpful.

so you have to use an item to be useful? And I am sorry but you may be one of the only thieves that is actually useful in dungeons… People start playing thieves to instagib in wvw mostly and when it comes to something they actually have to try at they suck… that is why most people hate thieves in their pugs because most thieves that join pugs suck… If you are the exception to the rule then here is your freaking cookie. Most of the time though they just suck hardcore… And me facetanking bosses usually keeps my group from wiping…

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

randomfightfan.4091

so you have to use an item to be useful? And I am sorry but you may be one of the only thieves that is actually useful in dungeons… People start playing thieves to instagib in wvw mostly and when it comes to something they actually have to try at they suck… that is why most people hate thieves in their pugs because most thieves that join pugs suck… If you are the exception to the rule then here is your freaking cookie. Most of the time though they just suck hardcore… And me facetanking bosses usually keeps my group from wiping…

I don’t need the item to be useful, it just makes me less dependant on others and be more self-dependant.

Now I DO understand that there are a LOT of bad thieves out there (there are equal numbers of bad players out in there in different classes but the thief class is less forgiving highlighting the bad players) but the class as a whole is very useful in dungeons. This whole thread was just to say don’t kick thieves just cause they’re a thief since thief is amazing and very useful.

And jport, even though that you don’t like having thieves in your pt (and I can’t stop you from kicking them), I’m just glad that you are starting to realize what a good thief can bring to your pt. IMO, give the player a chance and if they suck bad, block them and know for later. Playing with bad players can be painful but if you find one of the thieves that have mastered their class, you’ll be wanting to group with them all the time because they can bring so much to the team.

jportell.2197

I don’t need the item to be useful, it just makes me less dependant on others and be more self-dependant.

Now I DO understand that there are a LOT of bad thieves out there (there are equal numbers of bad players out in there in different classes but the thief class is less forgiving highlighting the bad players) but the class as a whole is very useful in dungeons. This whole thread was just to say don’t kick thieves just cause they’re a thief since thief is amazing and very useful.

And jport, even though that you don’t like having thieves in your pt (and I can’t stop you from kicking them), I’m just glad that you are starting to realize what a good thief can bring to your pt. IMO, give the player a chance and if they suck bad, block them and know for later. Playing with bad players can be painful but if you find one of the thieves that have mastered their class, you’ll be wanting to group with them all the time because they can bring so much to the team.

I only have had one maybe two thieves I know I would never kick one was from my guild… But tbh I never kick anyone from a party and usually never deny anyone… Its just an observation on my runs with thieves that 9 out of 10 times they suck and those 9 times I ask them how they are specced “full zerker BS” is the answer usually… and its like uhhh… really dummy?

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

Posted by: Fuinir.7489

Fuinir.7489

As probably previously mentioned in the thread, a lot of thieves are pretty terrible at the class. This is partly because thieves rely more on endurance and dodging correctly than most other classes.

Thieves are kicked this often because nobody knows how to dodge on one. It’s sad how easy the timing is to dodge when paying attention to boss fights. There’s really no way to fix this in the future, and if you wanted to lessen how much thieves are kicked, then it would require a major re-do of the class, which it basically impossible and would make a lot of people complain.

Tl;dr: Thieves rely heavier than other classes on dodge. People can’t dodge, their health melts, they die.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

As far as I can tell the likelihood of someone accepting a profession in their party is directly proportional to their own experience with that profession.
This includes having them in parties before — which is reasonable — but even more, their own experience with the profession, which is not reasonable at all.

To put it simply, people who suck at playing with a profession are more likely to reject other players with that profession.

I don’t recall the name of this cognitive bias. But it happens when people can’t think others will do something they can’t.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: SliceOfHam.2419

SliceOfHam.2419

Thieve’s utility is very nice for survival.

I’ve solo’d the last 25% of Fractals Harpy Shaman boss because the rest of my party died getting the bubble down for whatever reason. (FotM 30+)

Basilisk , Pistol OH is great if you need to interrupt things.

AOE blind spam is so powerful for vets and under rank mobs.

0 Poison downtime and AOE dps is very nice with shortbows.

Why do people not like thieves in dungeons? Because too many of them only run with d/d and p/p, shadow refuge, signet of shadows, dagger storm and never use their 3rd utility slot. I kick those type of thieves from my party if I see it.

-Full glass thief btw.

randomfightfan.4091

Am also full glass thief. It’s the best (imo) build for thief in pve IF you can stay alive with it. I do more damage than a shout warrior but less than a glass warrior but bring more to the team than the glass ever could (aside from the tankiness and bit more dps).

Posted by: Ald.9418

Ald.9418

I play my thief in dungeons only if there’s a ranger there that knows what he’s doing and drops Healing Spring in melee range.

Posted by: awe extender.1908

awe extender.1908

I guess the same goes for rangers. There are new rangers and those who have tried to survive since release day! I tend to change some players negative assumptions about the ranger to a positive surprize every time! QZ rez and healing spring keep the group alive. But for fractals, I only run with max 2 rangers. I guess there are likewise skilled thieves and not so skilled….