Why do we need group leaders?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

The following, typical scenario:

You’ve just completed your dungeon run. It took some time and there were a few wipes but you got the endboss in the end.

All is good and everyone leaves happily after the final battle.

You realize that your inventory is full and start salvaging some stuff to make room for the boss loot……only to have your group leader disband the group and kick you out of the instance.

No Loot for you!

I can’t really blame anyone for this. It’s not the group leaders fault for not waiting. How was he supposed to know I wasn’t done yet. He probably didn’t even realize he was the group leader because it doesn’t matter.

Then why do we still have this stupid mechanic that somehow ties dungeons to individuals. It makes no sense and doesn’t offer any benefit. It just results in odd and frustrating situations like the one above.

Change it. That final boss might have had my precursor.

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

I think it should be changed, but more towards the leader position. Now everybody can kick you by just 2 votes, when we would have one leader with rights to do everything, it would prevent chaos from occurring. Also, dungeon leader would be responsible for group and would command people, as now lot of ppl just dont know what to do and nobody wants to lead.

Posted by: cranked.3812

cranked.3812

This topic again?

It’s not going to change, get over it.

Seriously though, do you have 4 8-slot bags? I almost never have full bags even after 2 or sometimes 3 runs in a dungeon. The last time I can remember seeing the “your full” was during the prime of the scarlet invasions. Quickest way to make room though is just hit “deposit Collectibles”, usually frees up at least 5 slots, which is plenty to grab the last chest before having it close on you.

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

If you want me to make a guess at why dungeons need a leader, I’d guess that the dungeon data is stored on a physical server that represents one game world. For whatever reason, the design needs the link between the opening player, the server, the game world, and the dungeon. Without the opening player the links are lost. We all take cross server play for granted but maybe it isn’t as seamless as we’d like it to be.

That’s just my guess. I suspect there is some problem in the software architecture since a massive problem like the destruction of dungeons should have been fixed by now.

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

I think it should be changed, but more towards the leader position. Now everybody can kick you by just 2 votes, when we would have one leader with rights to do everything, it would prevent chaos from occurring. Also, dungeon leader would be responsible for group and would command people, as now lot of ppl just dont know what to do and nobody wants to lead.

I’d rather not have a party leader, honestly. People who try to command me around in dungeons when I already know how to handle things just kitten me off.

Posted by: Yenn.9185

Yenn.9185

I’d rather not have a party leader, honestly. People who try to command me around in dungeons when I already know how to handle things just kitten me off.

I would prefer to have a dungeon leader as right now we only have an instance owner. There are party parameters set by the 1st member (leader), and without a true leader it would be difficult to enforce these parameters. If the leader wants to do things a certain way, that’s fine it’s his party.

Posted by: Haath.7391

Haath.7391

Another also frustrating option is seeing the ‘theoretical’ leader, meaning the person who just jumped into the dungeon portal, having immunity to the rest
If he decides to screw you over, or just be an @hole and go afk, or refuse to cooperate and so on with the list – you cannot kick him because you all lose the progress.
Every single MMO out there has had party leaders – at least as far as my knowledge goes – and I frankly feel a little weird that this one doesn’t.

What we really need is a system that – with 3 or more people in the party – if one is kicked, the ‘theoretical ownership’ of the instance would pass over to someone else.
Even without the opening player’s data – let’s say we get rid of that – still it could try to at least save some ‘checkpoint’ or the current objective…

I assume the OP refers sorely to the ‘exploits’ caused by this system and not for the actual need of leadership though so let’s stay on topic.

Just to say my opinion though, leadership is the only mean of coordination, at least for deeds with actual difficulty.

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

But then you give the option of people joining parties and stealing the instance after kicking the host out. That is worse imo.