Why doesn't ANET want people doing dungeons ?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

An income nerf to reduce incentive to do dungeons. Mastery points to incentive other content, but doesn’t include a single dungeon achievement. Even when there are more mastery points available than there are ways to spend them.

Collecting spoons earns a mastery point. Why doesn’t dungeon master earn at least one ?

Posted by: Sola.7250

Sola.7250

Because they want you buying and playing in HoT!!!

Posted by: Control.8154

Control.8154

ANet nerfing dungeons to the max made me not buy HoT. Legit, only thing I liked doing and they took that away from me.

GG Anet.

(edited by Control.8154)

Posted by: Cbomb.4310

Cbomb.4310

Its their econ dev john smith. Disrespectful to players on a personal and professional lvl. Wrecked this game’s longevity.

Posted by: Mesona.5293

Mesona.5293

Overall, everything I’ve seen so far seems like there’s been a game wide shift away from rewarding flat gold, and instead rewarding items. Unfortunately, dungeons have no extra “items” added to them, they’ve only had the gold reduced. I can understand the shift away from rewarding liquid gold to the game, but it does suck massively that dungeons didn’t get anything new. Hell, increasing token rewards by 50% would be enough to get me back and doing them. I only ever ran them to make progress towards skin collections anyways.

Posted by: Quickfoot Katana.8642

Quickfoot Katana.8642

ANet nerfing dungeons to the max made me not buy HoT. Legit, only thing I liked doing and they took that away from me.

GG Anet.

Can vouch for that. I was waiting for a discount but now, hell no. Just sticking around to see what folks think of raids

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/guild-wars-2-heart-of-thorns/user-reviews

Their metacritic review illustrates the fact that there are a portion of players kittened off with the expansion. For all its worth its just a dumb review anyways

Posted by: Emtiarbi.3281

Emtiarbi.3281

Their metacritic review illustrates the fact that there are a portion of players kittened off with the expansion. For all its worth its just a dumb review anyways

I think that if we remove the score that people placed over there just with hate (like the “grind grind grind” fiasco), it a little higher than that d:

Anredhal Amethyst – Lain Amethyst – Orss Jerre

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

too much money was being made in dungeons, deal with it

Posted by: Evapor.6849

Evapor.6849

“Too much money was being made in dungeons”

It’s pathetic how one dev can say the liquid rewards from dungeons are the problem and the whiteknights will preach it, Silverwastes has always been better gold p/h than dungeons. Manipulating the markets has always been the best way of making money in the game. Dungeons weren’t popular, they nerfed the rewards to further push people away because they didn’t want the people only enjoying dungeons because that would mean those people wouldn’t need to buy the expansion to enjoy the game, they also nerfed the fractal rewards and put them behind the expansion as well. They didn’t even add new fractals. Like is this really hard to believe, is this some tinfoil theory? the dev himself kittening said it, they don’t want people to do dungeons, that’s why they nerfed it. kitten off

Posted by: cthaeh.2168

cthaeh.2168

GG Anet.

Can vouch for that. I was waiting for a discount but now, hell no. Just sticking around to see what folks think of raids

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/guild-wars-2-heart-of-thorns/user-reviews

Their metacritic review illustrates the fact that there are an even larger portion of players loving the expansion (at a more than 2:1 ratio as of the time of this post).

Posted by: Atlas.4509

Atlas.4509

Because they are broken and they either don’t have the time or desire to fix them.

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

They want to shift the population to open world zerg trains

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Please stop with all this conspiracy kitten and allegations of greed etc. No, the dungeons were broken be cause the rewards were insane compared to time invested. They were ridiculously easy, and you got gold out of thin air.

This gold is generated compared to material and weaponry which can be traded. If a country just produces more and more money you have inflation. Remember the amount of gold you had after one week after release? 1 maybe 2 gold? You though it was a lot of money. Remember when precursors were 200-300 gold?

That’s why they reduced it and they should have reduced it in the first place.

2nd: Shortly after release the devs started to worry about dungeons. The mechanics were not well though-out, the rewards were not so good (unique boss drops named boss weapons is what people like) and they pretty fast became just a money machine. With absurdly fast speed runs which clearly was never intended by the developers.

So. those are the main reasons they nerfed it. SURE, there was the minor idea of taking the focus to fractals and the new content to incentivize the customer to buy the expansion. It is a privately held company after all and has to pay its wages…

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Here’s a quick explanation why. Let’s imagine for a second that they didn’t nerf dungeons. This means that ANet would have 2 choices:

1) They do nothing. In this case, players are incentivized to farm dungeons since they provide so much gold and XP. While some players would enjoy this, most would feel like they were being pushed to farm old content, despite a new expansion being made available.

2) They make HoT content reward better than dungeons. This would be the economic equivalent of power creep and would result in inflation.

Nerfing dungeon rewards allow devs to incentivize new, fresh content to players while avoiding inflation to the economy.