Why even do dungeons? Trying to understand this game, not trolling.

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: tommy.1924

tommy.1924

I just started playing last week, am lev 53. am starting to try explore mode, and I have no idea why I would ever do them again, or try to.

everything 1 hits you, am sure there is some more strategy to it, but after countless groups and trys …not even close. it should not be THAT hard, each boss feels worst then raid bosses from other games, with NO reward. in fact…it costs you…

w/e that’s not my real problem, its whats the reward? after who knows how much in repairs, useless items? no money? no gear?

Am not asking for a legendary every run , no no I want to earn it, but this is pointless grind (which they said the game won’t have) for nothing….

so am trying to understand what is the appeal?
is there some kind of reward am missing? and don’t say (to play the game) just to argue, its an mmorpg and online gamers have a standard. play ANY OTHER game and you know what am talking about.

honestly not trying to troll thats how I see It, am not asking for people to agree, am asking them why…what is it you get for the torturer ? cause you don’t get gear, you don’t get money, and if your level 80 why do you need exp??

(edited by tommy.1924)

Posted by: Meeooww.3742

Meeooww.3742

I’m staying away from dungeons for the time being, until all this gets straightened out. I don’t feel like losing money.
I’m also hoping ANet will take care of this, otherwise it will be yet another generic mmo.

Posted by: Reevax.2510

Reevax.2510

They have already said they do not plan to make the dungeons easier to do.

They are catering to a very small and hardcore crowd of people. Maybe there is some metric that says they spend more money?

I don’t mind a challenge but when you die numerous times and get 1 silver at the final boss…

yeah

Posted by: Prosephonie.9036

Prosephonie.9036

I’m staying away from dungeons for the time being, until all this gets straightened out. I don’t feel like losing money.
I’m also hoping ANet will take care of this, otherwise it will be yet another generic mmo.

Me too. I am also staying away from the gem store. If they dont fix dungeons I wont be staying when the ffxiv reboot happens. No point of putting money into a game I plan on leaving. If that sucks Ill just be done with mmos.

Posted by: MrLee.6892

MrLee.6892

But they did “take care of it” with the DECREASE of rewards.

That is their answer…… which is BS.

Posted by: Prosephonie.9036

Prosephonie.9036

They have already said they do not plan to make the dungeons easier to do.

They are catering to a very small and hardcore crowd of people. Maybe there is some metric that says they spend more money?

I don’t mind a challenge but when you die numerous times and get 1 silver at the final boss…

yeah

I doubt it, I am one of those hardcore people and I think it sucks.

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

I agree OP, seems like anet want to make getting the gear a grind, make them impossible to do with PUGs which are by nature disorganised and require you to gear and spec a certain way.

All of which are at odds with their stated design goals.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

tommy.1924

It must be a very small group of gamers they are aiming for, I guess cause theres no monthly fee they don’t care if people stay or not ?
am not asking to make it easy, just maybe easier, if not then AT LEAST give a reward . cause I already started looking into that refund i read somewhere cause this has NO staying power so far…..

am just so sad that I enjoyed this game so much at first I wish I knew that the dungeon system was this screwed up before I bought it….

I think they will fix it, toooooooo many people hate it.
that on top of the countless bugs (game breaking ones) messed up classes, and hour long ques?
i honestly feel ripped off…..

Posted by: Fluffycalico.2715

Fluffycalico.2715

So they said play more of the game than the single easiest path of the single most simple dungeon instead of grinding that one thing over and over and everyone goes nooo and screams and crys they want their 1 super easy grind back instead of going out and doing more than just that 1 thing.

tommy.1924

wrong, read again….

no ones asking for that one super easy grind. but as it stands its not worth it AT ALL.
I hate grinding, but there is literately no reward for doing it what so ever. cause after a few times? you see the whole dungeon…whats to add?

why not just take them out of the game all together if thats the route they wanted to take.

do they not know what the basic, very very basics of an mmorpg are?
so your point is very mute….

Posted by: caKez.3219

caKez.3219

it costs more silver than to run the dayyum dungeon!
What else is there incentive to run dungeons?
Is ANet forcing us to buy gems for gold?

tommy.1924

thats a good point, i do feel like they are pushing their gamers into that….between travel costs (2+ silver for some zones and am only lev 53) ?
rewards for a heart are (at my level) 1.5s?
do the math….not worth it what so ever.
also take into account how hard the zones are (for me at least and most people) you die, a lot….more repairs. your lucky to break even after selling junk….

again, they said “no grind” but its more of a grind then WOW , yes i went there cause its true.

Posted by: Freky.1903

Freky.1903

There is no point to PvE now. They completely ruined it and the endgame content that didn’t exist in the first place. This is what will happen:

1)Buy game “Oh I’m so excited so much better then WoW”
2)Create character “OMG LOOK PLANT PEOPLE!”
3)Start leveling up “Oh this is weird I don’t really have quests. So much easier then having to talk to people.”
4)Get to 80 “YAY! Finally 80, What do I do now?”
5)Try a dungeon with a PUG group “Why is this so hard?”
6)Actually complete the dungeon and get the reward “WTH! That’s all I get for spending 2 hours doing this?!”
7)Blame it on your teammates or yourself “You guys suck.”
8)Try the dungeon again with a different group of people “Man you guys suck but I guess we’re doing better.”
9)Complete it again “WHY DID I GET SO MUCH LESS MONEY THEN BEFORE?”
10)Realize the game has no endgame content that is worth putting time into.

That is what will happen with the casual gamers. Hardcore gamers might put up with it for a little bit but unless the fun aspect is “restored”(implying there might have been some fun in them that I didn’t see)people are going to start leaving left and right. We’ve already had 5 people quit the game in our guild of 35(down to 30)just because of todays update.

Posted by: Cromx.3941

Cromx.3941

Well before these changes they already had real problems with the dungeon content anyways. People found some of the stuff that was worth running, and ran exclusively that. Now Anet could have done two things, they could have seen that people were flocking to play certain dungeons and made the others more like those or they could destroy the gameplay in the few dungeons people were running so that people would feel compelled to play others.

The problem is that anet does not understand what makes a dungeon fun, and people are starting to feel compelled to just quit in general. One shotting should not happen..and on the vent it does happen it should be very rare. Even normal trash mobs can hit you for 50% 75% or more of your life. And you can heal back maybe 40% on a long cool down.

Anyways what can be said about this…..its all been said. They are not going to fix it. They don’t even acknowledge the problem, in fact they went ahead and doubled down with this new patch. The only way they will learn is if they get hit in the pocket book. I am done with the gem store and I uninstalled the game. I have seen this happen before with other games, Anet is not the type of company to admit its wrong and fix whats broken.

They don’t get it and they never will.

tommy.1924

we don’t live in a world of hardcore gamers, that’s the real issue.

and this game advertised a lot. and said many many things it did not deliver on, the events are not really dynamic, quests hubs are just hidden, COUNTLESS bugs that should not have made it out of beta….

and yes todays update made it even more of a grind then they said it would be (which was already horrible)

I do love the game play and use of dodge and split second decisions but that only lasts so long.

I really want them to address this issue. I don’t really like wow anymore but it at least has a solid structure. I wanted to find a game to kill it for me…thought it was this.

Posted by: LualdiTia.8562

LualdiTia.8562

Me too. I am also staying away from the gem store. If they dont fix dungeons I wont be staying when the ffxiv reboot happens. No point of putting money into a game I plan on leaving. If that sucks Ill just be done with mmos.

I’m with you, guys. Waste of money running dungeons until changes are made.

tommy.1924

Lets all look into that refund I read they have one.

Posted by: Zeusmeister.5130

Zeusmeister.5130

Yup, I’ve had 20 people from my guild quit. Went from 65 to 45. Gotta love when companies make stupid decisions,.

Posted by: Eviator.9746

Eviator.9746

It’s tough reading these comments. It’s clear people want a challenge, but they don’t want to be over-challenged or under-rewarded. Makes sense. But you need to get ANet right when you paraphrase them. They want story mode dungeons to be something you can PUG. They want explorables to be quite difficult, but doable with a skilled, coordinated, and reasonably composed team. They expect it to be very hard at first, but slightly easier as time goes on as people get better. They base this upon their experiece with GW1. And they want the rewards from explorables (i.e. dungeon gear) to stand out, not be common-place.

I plan to do a lot of dungeons, and I’ll be running them with friends. We’ll be starting with story modes and once we get much better, moving on to explorable modes. We’re going to be doing them for the challenge and the fun. When we’ve memorized all the mechanics and the dungeons become easy, they will no longer be fun, and I will stop doing them. For me, playing the game is the draw, not the “precious” at the end. I understand that others need the “precious”. I guess that means dungeons just aren’t for them.

Sheldor the Eidetic (Group Engi) | Shorty McShinkicker (Solo Engi) |Turanga (Solo Mes)
Doing what I can for DB during EU primetime

(edited by Eviator.9746)

Posted by: Vanisher.9216

Vanisher.9216

how does this make it “yet another generic mmo” ?

Posted by: McSneaky.9037

McSneaky.9037

Id take a refund right now if I could get it!

Posted by: Cromx.3941

Cromx.3941

Id take a refund right now if I could get it!

I second this, I’d be more than happy to get a refund. I even spent 20 bucks int he Gem store….not asking for that back, but the money for the base game…heck yeah.

Posted by: Vanisher.9216

Vanisher.9216

You guys probably spent a lot of hours already on the game and you pretend to get a refund? this is disgusting, there’s a whole lot of content outside dungeons and they will probably change the rewards issues later.

Posted by: Seleste.1205

Seleste.1205

I was in CM story multiple times, because CM was only one dungeon possible to do without stress party in head. I’m pve player. I love grind, but i hate 1hit die, when i have 70 lvl, mob has 40 lvl. What i can do in this game now? They kill last one friendly dung… :/

Posted by: Arc.1425

Arc.1425

There is no reason to do dungeons at all anymore.

Posted by: Serin.3917

Serin.3917

Basically cosmetics, you can function perfectly fine without dungeon gears as the exotics have similar stats on them. As usual, most people take the ‘easy’ path and then when it gets fixed they get antsy about it and have a hissy-fit. Though they should just revert the silver reward change, as they made the dungeons harder and would actually take longer to do.

Posted by: miya.5160

miya.5160

Make a dungeon as hard as you want.

Just give me the proper reward for doing it.

Posted by: ChairGraveyard.2967

ChairGraveyard.2967

They broke the rewards OP. There’s no point in doing them right now as they’ll simply lose you tons of money. The rewards are SO off base for the amount of effort it’s absurd.

Posted by: Derian Gothsend.3928

Derian Gothsend.3928

Well I will say there is alot of rage all over the forums on the dungeon issue. I agree partially with many people on that I think the dungeons are broken. I really have a nagging suspicion that its heavily based on the fact that many people who ground up to level 80 then raged on the forums about the dungeons being too easy.

The point is that people could pug a dungeon/“dynamic event” now, this is very unlikely. I did manage to make it through CM with a pug group of high 40’s, me at level 50, and a level 73 who was decently geared ( He died the most ). We got wiped 10-20 times a piece. Sometimes one-shotted. Sometimes we were spammed with fear and could do nothing but die over and over.

Long story short, you don’t make it 4x harder, give have the exp, half the money, crap for loot, and add diminishing returns and expect that any one other than high level characters who are geared and spec’d to a pre-made build will want to run them for any reason whatsoever.

I understand they want to drive you to the gem store, I understand they don’t want the marketplace flooded with too much gold. However, when trying to get something this complex correct, you don’t bounce between extremes. You change things a little here and there to adjust it and find where the happy medium is.

They used a blockbuster bomb where they should have used a bb gun.