Why is there an aversion to making a group?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

This assumption is based almost purely on what I read on the forums.
I may be blind but I dont think I have seen anyone ever really answer said question.

I see many complaining about joining groups and not being able to “phiw” in groups they join and it just confuses me.

Also bloody 45 char limit.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

That’s sort of a human psychology question. My guess is that there is a sense of leadership associated with making a group. The party creator sets the tone and is sort of a bouncer (“please ping your gear or be kicked.”) I would also expect a creator to know the path if I were new and didn’t have the path well memorized yet.

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Well, I don’t post group LFG ads ever unless it’s either selling a path or buying tar help 1g ea xD

In all seriousness, I think many people might be used to joining someone else’s group and seek to stay in their comfort zones. Taking initiative and forming your own group might be perceived as effort that the average person isn’t willing to put forth as they’d rather someone else be responsible for it.

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

It’s also likely that since they can’t seem to read they can’t really write either.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Lmao. Reading LFG is for elitist zerks, Lilith!

God it kittenes me off when random idiots join my instance and completely ignore me when I type their IGN, ask them “are you buying __?” and see that blue dot running through the map.

Such rude people.

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

I’ve never seen an MMO where the majority of players wanted to take the lead. Though it may not be true, but most ppl I’ve seen seem to think, if they start the party, they’ll be expected to lead and expected to be knowledgable about the content you’re attempting; the kicker is they think they’ll be blamed if something goes wrong.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

Posted by: Casmurro.9046

Casmurro.9046

I think most of the players don’t put a lfg thenselves because they dont have enough confidence to lead a group through that dungeon path, so they wait for a lfg that appeals to then, if its an add with 2 necros and 1 ranger they will not join.

I like to solo arah p2 up to alphard, where i put a lfg add with no requirements, just saying “p2, at alphard”, it usually fills up very quickly, but most of the pugs that join usually are new to the dungeon. They would never make a group by their own to run the dungeon, which is understandable because a group with mostly inexperienced players in arah doesnt end up well most of the time. And if you look to the lfg section of arah you dont see many groups forming to run the dungeon, there are mostly sellers.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Attachments:

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Lilith Ajit.6173

You know….. I don’t know.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?

DonQuack.9025

Play How I Want

Lilith Ajit.6173

[ARES]

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

Most people in this world are sheep looking to be exploited they are followers

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

In general people like to be followers more often than leaders.

But, that’s not exactly what you’re alluding to, here. You’re more asking about forum discussion than actual group dynamics. Which little gem of a back and forth are you talking about?

This one?
>>> ‘Problem x!’
<<< ‘Just make your own group!’
>>> ’That’s a total cop-out!’

Or this one?
>>> ’I’m new to this game, and this happened in a group. Is this common?’
<<< ‘Just make your own group!’
>>> —--silence——

That is to say,
Are you wondering why people give push back to the concept when it’s talked about abreast design decisions and game mechanics and deeper systemic observations someone with experience in the game might talk about? Or are you wondering when people’s initial expectations of a ‘normal run’ are so different from what actually happens, they come to the forums to complain and don’t really seem all that receptive to the suggestions of a work-around?

(edited by Vox Hollow.2736)

Posted by: Rag.3258

Rag.3258

Because creating a party is super exhausting in this game. Youre taking a leadership role without having proper party leading tools at hand. Plus theres tons of immature people that cant read. WTB gw1 party system.

I usually need a few days break after making my own party just because its so frustrating.

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

It’s one of those weird things that humanity does in general. See: spectator effect. It is also the reason why no one speaks up in class at college.

To form the party is to take leadership, to take initiative, and to take a role of responsibility. Many people don’t like this, for many unsaid and subconscious reasons:

#1: As group leader, failure is considered your fault. People don’t want to risk looking like a failure.

#2: Groups are forming all of the time. People won’t form one because they’re expecting the next one to be right around the corner.

#3: The leader is expected to discipline unruly members, and many people don’t want to be harsh or judgmental to other people. They would rather avoid conflict.

#4: The leader is expected to be experienced and knowledgeable in the game, capable of solving problems as they arise. Many people have neither experience, knowledge, or problem solving skills.

#5: Many players don’t know what being a leader entails. They attribute leadership skills to wizardry, not knowing that we’re making it up as we go along. They don’t feel qualified to be a leader, so they don’t step up.

#6: Being a leader requires you to be in conflict with other leaders. Again, they want to avoid conflict.

All in all, it just isn’t worth the effort and risk to get to a dungeon a minute quicker.

Now, then there is the other elephant in the room, which is about player trends and behaviors in dungeons. Now, with these issues, the whole “just form your own group” thing is actually a red herring. These complaints are community based, and represent a trend with negative consequences to the community itself. Because of this, forming a party with x special circumstance does absolutely nothing to solve the problem.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

That’s sort of a human psychology question. My guess is that there is a sense of leadership associated with making a group. The party creator sets the tone and is sort of a bouncer (“please ping your gear or be kicked.”) I would also expect a creator to know the path if I were new and didn’t have the path well memorized yet.

This is it, more or less.
Oh, and about conflict. It’s one of the reasons why there are so few wolves and so many sheep. Have you ever been in a group with 2 dominant personalities fighting over which tactic is best?
Yeah.
A nightmare.
Luckily for us I decided to take the spot of (or “act as” if you want) the first mate and… nevermind, too long.
People just don’t like being protagonists in this sort of drama.

(edited by deSade.9437)

Posted by: Malganis.7468

Malganis.7468

Nobody wants to be a dungeon leader or party leader, but contrast that with the number of new guilds and people wanting to be guild leaders.

Legion of Honour [XIII]: http://operationunion.enjin.com/home
Tarnished Coast

deSade.9437

Which then quickly fall apart because they’re terrible leaders and don’t want to take the responsibilities leading takes.

Posted by: CalamityO.2890

CalamityO.2890

It’s one of those weird things that humanity does in general. See: spectator effect. It is also the reason why no one speaks up in class at college.

To form the party is to take leadership, to take initiative, and to take a role of responsibility. Many people don’t like this, for many unsaid and subconscious reasons:

#1: As group leader, failure is considered your fault. People don’t want to risk looking like a failure.

#2: Groups are forming all of the time. People won’t form one because they’re expecting the next one to be right around the corner.

#3: The leader is expected to discipline unruly members, and many people don’t want to be harsh or judgmental to other people. They would rather avoid conflict.

#4: The leader is expected to be experienced and knowledgeable in the game, capable of solving problems as they arise. Many people have neither experience, knowledge, or problem solving skills.

#5: Many players don’t know what being a leader entails. They attribute leadership skills to wizardry, not knowing that we’re making it up as we go along. They don’t feel qualified to be a leader, so they don’t step up.

#6: Being a leader requires you to be in conflict with other leaders. Again, they want to avoid conflict.

^
This pretty much explains the human psyche on the role of leaders.

inthecubbyhole.wordpress.com

Lilith Ajit.6173

I don’t feel qualified to be a leader as you guys describe it but I don’t see myself as the leader because I list my path. I see myself as the decision maker, sure. But this game doesn’t have leaders. It has teams of equals.

[ARES]

CalamityO.2890

Which then quickly fall apart because they’re terrible leaders and don’t want to take the responsibilities leading takes.

Which begs the question, why be a leader in the first place. If you’re not wanting to be a leader at all. No one is forcing them to be guild leaders.

deSade.9437

If you can’t figure out yourself why someone would try to start a guild without fully understanding what being a leader means I….
Ugh. I’ve been trying hard all day not to fall for the bait, I won’t give up now.
Look! That cloud looks like a cat!

Lilith Ajit.6173

If you can’t figure out yourself why someone would try to start a guild without fully understanding what being a leader means I….
Ugh. I’ve been trying hard all day not to fall for the bait, I won’t give up now.
Look! That cloud looks like a cat!

=(^.^)=

O.O it does!

Attachments:

[ARES]

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

It depends on my mood. When I create groups, I usually take on anybody within the dungeon’s level range and who is willing to learn, if they’re new. That also means I have to spend more time teaching possible newbies. Sometimes I don’t have the time for that and would rather just join an existing group who already know what to do.

Posted by: Lucas.9157

Lucas.9157

y u no zerg calamity
boogie pls

Posted by: frifox.5283

frifox.5283

I post an lfg and right as I try to enforce the description party member flame me to hell. Need a tough skin to be the initiator and most of the time I’m just not in the mood for that.

Posted by: Tachii.3506

Tachii.3506

Guess I don’t pay attention on these forums.

I start up LFGs daily for pretty much all my runs since I don’t have consistent in-game friends who shares the mindset in doing this. My description is always “lv80s/be experienced pls” and I open most of my dungeons since I can’t expect randoms really anything.

I also end up playing a Guardian in AC/SE/TA since again, I can’t expect anyone that will actually use Wall at the right time or Hallowed Ground in stacked fights, etc. I guess it comes from experiencing so much pug parties gone to kitten just because the party needed a Guard to carry them successfully. Like ACp1 burrow phase where the DPS is so kitten-poor Hodgins dies if nobody kites, SE p1 golem trio fight with nobody using reflects or stability, TA running skips where there’s always 1 or 2 that never bring break stuns, etc.

In all honesty I think now I like the fact that a group of strangers can come together to do something fast and smoothly, which is probably why I’m too lazy to join one of those elitist dungeon guilds. Even some of the minor things like a ranger with spotter + spirit or an ele stacking might or just a mesmer pulling mobs to a corner is good to see in a pug run.

SBI – Thief and the occasional Guardian & Warrior.

(edited by Tachii.3506)

Posted by: Enaretos.8079

Enaretos.8079

I make my groups with super high requirements (my LFG even includes #somanyreqs).

And even according to elitists, I’m a kitten for complaining when people don’t fill them. I should kick but I’m a tad too nice…

Snow Crows member since January 2014
My Twitch

CalamityO.2890

y u no zerg calamity
boogie pls

does the boogie dance :P

Lilith Ajit.6173

I make my groups with super high requirements (my LFG even includes #somanyreqs).

And even according to elitists, I’m a kitten for complaining when people don’t fill them. I should kick but I’m a tad too nice…

Man… I think I’ve kicked a dozen Charr from my groups in one run. They just couldn’t Charr. I did meet an amazingly fashionable kitty once… I kept him even though he was a bowbear.

[ARES]

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

Man… I think I’ve kicked a dozen Charr from my groups in one run. They just couldn’t Charr. I did meet an amazingly fashionable kitty once… I kept him even though he was a bowbear.

You don’t happen to remember the secret of that fashion that Charr utilized, do you? I’ve spent hours this weekend trying to make my Charr ranger look anything other than a big sack full of fleas, but failed miserably . I’ve come to the conclusion that fashionable male Charr in medium armour just don’t happen sigh .

On topic: I’m one of the people that don’t post lfgs unless I’m already in group with two or three people I know, since I do in fact feel an obligation to know about the dungeon (and if worst case happens, know how to save the run) if I start the group myself. If we just need to pug one or two spots I feel comfortable in getting that done, but I’m not confident enough in “leading” four total strangers through places I don’t know very well myself.

Lilith Ajit.6173

I don’t remember but I do know it had some Krytan armor in it.

[ARES]

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

I form groups often unless I’m not in the mood to tolerate bullkitten. If I didn’t have such a short temper I’d always make my own groups but unfortunately I often cannot tolerate certain individuals and will leave before my temper gets the better of me. Still, a lot of people do seem to prefer to join rather than to create groups. I can understand why but those that complain about groups they’ve joined I cannot understand. If you do not meet or agree with the requirements why would you join?

tldr; I make my own groups quite a bit but try to avoid doing so when I don’t feel I have the patience to deal with idiots (whether they be elitists, completely ignorant (though the two kind of go hand in hand) or just someone who’s intentionally gone against group requirements.)

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

DonQuack.9025

Interesting reads. I personally “enjoy” pug roulette with groups I join but I usually make my own groups. Unfortunately as of late my temper, has become quite short. Unfortunately I grew up with 12 sisters so it makes itself visible in my passive aggressive comments in chat. I wont kick you but I will let you know what I think of you, kindly.

As for joining groups I wont even join berserker groups as my armour is a mix of Berserker and Sin, thus (atleast in my eyes) negating my eligibility to join groups.

Posted by: JVJD.4912

JVJD.4912

Not everyone are bold, if you make a cof p1 lfg ii will fill up in under 5 secs you think there would be like 20+ lfgs at a time for cof but ………..

Posted by: Lalocat.6793

Lalocat.6793

It depends on my mood. When I create groups, I usually take on anybody within the dungeon’s level range and who is willing to learn, if they’re new. That also means I have to spend more time teaching possible newbies. Sometimes I don’t have the time for that and would rather just join an existing group who already know what to do.

It’s exactly this. I have wondered about why. Why can someone else make a group and end up with a smooth run but if I try making a group with the same description I usually end up with a less than stellar mix of players.

I have a theory. It’s because other people who start groups often have a partially full group already. So 2-3 people who know what they are doing right of the bat, or newbies with friends who knows they are new and prepared to help. I was in a group like this the other day, joined 4 guildies, 2 under 80. I was a bit skeptical but decided to stay and it was just fine, some explaining but on the whole fast and smooth. And I personally didn’t have to explain anything. ^^

Also I find it easier to be picky when I join and can just leave if i see something that turns me off rather than make the group and have to reinforce my preferences by kicking. I hate kicking. File it under conflict avoidance.

Posted by: Tachii.3506

Tachii.3506

Heh, joining a guild LFG might not be better either. Some have mindnumbing plans to skip mobs when it’s quicker to beat it, some have questionable stacked locations, some really just are obnoxious to other pugs and they can kick you at anytime.

#puglyfe is rife with all kind of problems that can arise.

SBI – Thief and the occasional Guardian & Warrior.

I know one thing. If dungeons were soloable, I would do them all every day.

~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Enaretos.8079

Enaretos.8079

They are :/

Snow Crows member since January 2014
My Twitch

Through glitches maybe, but I mean legit. Also the fights would take so long if you do it alone, it wouldn’t be profitable.

Many dungeons have certain mechanics that require more than one player (like the lift and pull oozes part in AC)

~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: dutchiez.7502

dutchiez.7502

Not sure if joke or srs…

Nova [rT]

Posted by: dutchiez.7502

dutchiez.7502

Through glitches maybe, but I mean legit. Also the fights would take so long if you do it alone, it wouldn’t be profitable.

Many dungeons have certain mechanics that require more than one player (like the lift and pull oozes part in AC)

They are soloable legit lol

Some may only be doable by certain classes, but still doable legit. And for dungeons with player number requirements, yeah they are a no-go unfortunately. Although AC p2 is soloable, I can look up a video if you want.

Nova [rT]

Posted by: Delmain.5167

Delmain.5167

Have you ever been in a group with 2 dominant personalities fighting over which tactic is best?
Yeah.
A nightmare.

There is truth and wisdom in these words. I’ve been in that situation several times. Of course, most of those situations I was one of the dominant personalities. Well, actually, now that I think about it I was one of the dominant personalities in all those situations. But yeah, its not a pretty sight at all.