Why isn't Sorrow's Embrace more popular?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

This perplexes me. Sorrow’s Embrace:

• 2 out of 3 paths are very easy.
  • The dungeon gives 2 very popular stat combos (Knight’s and Soldier’s).
  • Drops lodestones quite frequently.

So what gives?

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Saulius.8430

Saulius.8430

nobody likes dredges. nobody

kill all ze thingz

Posted by: Hoyvin.3241

Hoyvin.3241

I haven’t been in there sine I got all the paths crossed off for DM.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

I was just going to say the same.

There’s plenty of reasons. Here are some examples:
- They always pop in high numbers that run around a lot and will give no drops, like those summoned by suits. This makes difficult focusing on a target, as there are always getting in the way of projectiles and ganging up on any melee that stops to use a strong skill that locks them in place.
- They spam survivability boons, but most PUGs won’t go first for the ones that apply boons, making fights unnecessarily longer. This is a thing that is ok to have in enemies and its player fault not going for them first, but decent players unable to convince bad players that these guys are priority target get eventually fed up and avoid the dungeon altogether.
- Freaking dredge bombers spam high AoE damage with almost no time between the circle and the hit, so you can’t dodge just by walking away, only by dodging. But you can’t dodge them all the time, yet they can spam all the time.
- They have CC skills with no warning animations, hard to see animations or animations that happen after the CC is done.
- Their skills have annoying screeching sound effects.
- Their flinching sounds are annoying too. They sound like someone having a hard time on the toilet.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

Posted by: Hylgeriak.8250

Hylgeriak.8250

I do, and SE is my favourite dungeon :-)

One reason might be that SE used to be very hard (at least parts of it..remeber the long pathway over the lava with endless spawn) and people decided not to go there anymore but for their dungeon master achievement. Nothing comparable to the status quo, as 2 path are really easy and way more fun than CoF.

Kyrgyz Manas – Gandara[EU]

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Personally
- I don’t like the armor or weapon styles (CoE has same design but with glows)
- I think groups of dredge are dull. They all look grey and they feel grey. Mining suits do add something by looking different and they need more stuff like that.
- Designers seem to think that more dredge is more fun, but it isn’t. Their variety of attacks means that there’s little point thinking up new play styles to tackle an encounter – you just need basic group tactics. The more dredge there are, the less interesting the play becomes.
- I like the communist revolutionary storylines but they don’t translate into interesting game mechanics. Some dredge should be ‘more equal than others’ and be identifiable and interesting.
- Path 1 causes the game to crash.
- Nobody becomes an adventurer to kill moles.

Posted by: mosspit.8936

mosspit.8936

No no no!

Posted by: Opt.3714

Opt.3714

I ran this one enough to get the tokens for my Legendary. It’s a fine gameplay experience, but I don’t think most people like fighting Dredge (immune to blind,) the exotic armor skins are not very popular, and the rare armors are not high enough level that they can be salvaged for ecto.

http://opt.red/about Twitter: http://twitter.com/Opt__
Co-Leader, I Can Outtweet A Centaur! [TWIT] #twitguild
IGN: Optimus Maleficus

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

^this.

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: Ioflux.4369

Ioflux.4369

“NO NO NO. We should go to the armory. That’s where Zadorojny is likely to be.”

Posted by: Tyger.7280

Tyger.7280

I actually like the armor from SE. I got my full set and didnt have much of a problem finding groups. I even found great groups for doing path 2, which I believe is considered the hardest path. I just use the LFG website and usually find groups pretty quickly for any dungeon.

Posted by: Strifey.7215

Strifey.7215

Main reason for me is that SE tokens can’t be used to get rares that turn into ectos, while CoF and CoE can.

The lack of usable ecto tokens really hurts the farm run aspect of SE.

Guard/War/Mesmer and Dungeon Guides:
https://www.youtube.com/user/strife025

(edited by Strifey.7215)

Posted by: x per fection x.2096

x per fection x.2096

- They always pop in high numbers that run around a lot and will give no drops, like those summoned by suits. This makes difficult focusing on a target, as there are always getting in the way of projectiles and ganging up on any melee that stops to use a strong skill that locks them in place.
- They spam survivability boons, but most PUGs won’t go first for the ones that apply boons, making fights unnecessarily longer. This is a thing that is ok to have in enemies and its player fault not going for them first, but decent players unable to convince bad players that these guys are priority target get eventually fed up and avoid the dungeon altogether.
- Freaking dredge bombers spam high AoE damage with almost no time between the circle and the hit, so you can’t dodge just by walking away, only by dodging. But you can’t dodge them all the time, yet they can spam all the time.
- They have CC skills with no warning animations, hard to see animations or animations that happen after the CC is done.
- Their flinching sounds are annoying too. They sound like someone having a hard time on the toilet.

Don’t take the problems you have with the dredge fractal and apply it to SE, its makes you look like you have no idea what your talking about.

The OP asked why se isn’t popular, your saying dredge boons and bombers. Well se p1 is inquest, there is zero dredge you have to kill in this. A group of 5 guards could do almost this entire path with just reflect. If the final boss dropped 10s and the tokens could be used for ecto’s then this would be the new COF p1 farm. 2 guards, 2 zerkers and a mes could smash this path in 5-6 minutes.

Now for p3, this can EASLY be solo’d with most classes in 30-45 minutes if you choose to afk the first, third and last boss. With a group of experienced members it should only take 10 minutes at the most to go threw this path, you kill a total of 5 dredge while your doing it. You can skip the first 3 by just doing 1 piece of wall, you can skip the 3 bombers by running up a pipe on the right so you end up only having to kill the first boss and 2 adds, which can be seperated. Then you kill the second boss alone, and the third boss is dredge, the final boss is a destroyer so for you to say theres to manly dredges you can do 2 paths of SE and only kill 5 dredges.

As for the bombers, GS 5 and Wall of Reflection from a guard makes the entire team take zero damage from these if you do choose to kill the 3 at the start of path 3. Even in the worst pug groups full of rangers and necro’s i’ve never had a problem killing dredge bombers.

So to answer the OP, one of the main problems is people like this guy who don’t even know the paths they just think se is hard because they can’t manage to do the dredge fractal because LOS (line of sight) is to complicated for them to understand.

Also for the OP, whenever i start a post on gw2lfg for SE p1/3 speed runs the group fills up in seconds. Its the second fastest next to cof.

[Ark]Noober

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

While I might run the dungeon for the stats on the armor, I dislike the look. It’s easier to transform armor I’ve crafted than run a dungeon to them want to transform the armor I got as a reward.

Posted by: Bacon.2360

Bacon.2360

Main reason for me is that SE tokens can’t be used to get rares that turn into exotics, while CoF and CoE can.

The lack of usable ecto tokens really hurts the farm run aspect of SE.

This and because everybody wants to run past all the mobs in path 3. I don’t do dungeons for the loot I do it for the experience!

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I hate Dredge, but I do love this:

“NO NO NO! We should go to the armory—NO NO NO—NO NO NO! We should go to the armory. That’s where Zadorojny is likely to—NO NO NO—NO NO NO!”

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Don’t take the problems you have with the dredge fractal and apply it to SE, its makes you look like you have no idea what your talking about.

The OP asked why se isn’t popular, your saying dredge boons and bombers. Well se p1 is inquest, there is zero dredge you have to kill in this. A group of 5 guards could do almost this entire path with just reflect. If the final boss dropped 10s and the tokens could be used for ecto’s then this would be the new COF p1 farm. 2 guards, 2 zerkers and a mes could smash this path in 5-6 minutes.

Now for p3, this can EASLY be solo’d with most classes in 30-45 minutes if you choose to afk the first, third and last boss. With a group of experienced members it should only take 10 minutes at the most to go threw this path, you kill a total of 5 dredge while your doing it. You can skip the first 3 by just doing 1 piece of wall, you can skip the 3 bombers by running up a pipe on the right so you end up only having to kill the first boss and 2 adds, which can be seperated. Then you kill the second boss alone, and the third boss is dredge, the final boss is a destroyer so for you to say theres to manly dredges you can do 2 paths of SE and only kill 5 dredges.

As for the bombers, GS 5 and Wall of Reflection from a guard makes the entire team take zero damage from these if you do choose to kill the 3 at the start of path 3. Even in the worst pug groups full of rangers and necro’s i’ve never had a problem killing dredge bombers.

So to answer the OP, one of the main problems is people like this guy who don’t even know the paths they just think se is hard because they can’t manage to do the dredge fractal because LOS (line of sight) is to complicated for them to understand.

Also for the OP, whenever i start a post on gw2lfg for SE p1/3 speed runs the group fills up in seconds. Its the second fastest next to cof.

tl;dr
I hate dredge everywhere. Whether it’s in Fractals, SE or just in the open world. They are one of the most annoying mobs to fight, second only to the Risen. (IMO)

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Boss.3876

Boss.3876

I’m a fan of the Helghast style helmets but the rest of the armor is kinda meh in my opinion. Also, dredge are annoying. They make weird noises and yell “NO” way to much.

(edited by Boss.3876)

Posted by: Brennus.1435

Brennus.1435

I think it’s probably going to come down to the fact that most of the place has sort of dull scenery and the armor and weapons just aren’t that great for it.

http://www.gw2armor.com/human/male/sorrow/heavy/front.jpg

Like… no.

“Everyone is born a 5 signet Warrior,
what we become later only depends
on how hard we try and how good we want to become.” -HannaDeFreitas

Posted by: Sabyne.6329

Sabyne.6329

I’m a fan of the Helghast style helmets but the rest of the armor is kinda meh in my opinion. Also, dredge are annoying. They make weird noises and yell “NO” way to much.

You have no idea how much of a pain this sound can be for some people. I’m French and what they keep saying sounds like “TG” which in French is the short for “Ta gueule”, a rude way to tell someone to shut up. So basically, everytime I fight dredges, they just spam tell me to shut up, really annoying. Most guildies had never noticed this until I told them and now they only hear this when fighting these mobs. So rude. :’(

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

This perplexes me. Sorrow’s Embrace:

• 2 out of 3 paths are very easy.
  • The dungeon gives 2 very popular stat combos (Knight’s and Soldier’s).
  • Drops lodestones quite frequently.

So what gives?

1) People hate Dredge… for some reason.
2) The path without any Dredge (Path 1) was nigh impossible until recently.

I expect it to pick up in popularity once word gets out it has been made easier.

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

(edited by Oglaf.1074)

Posted by: Breaking Bad.6241

Breaking Bad.6241

It’s probably my favorite dungeon. The bosses don’t have a ton of HP, the gas mask armor can look great when dyed appropriately and of course NO NO NO!

Posted by: lcpdragonslayer.7895

lcpdragonslayer.7895

Uhm. Have you even seen what the exotic armour skins look like? Who the hell would want to wear that?

Posted by: GoZero.9708

GoZero.9708

The Dredge are very manageable in SE compared to the Underground Facility Fractal. I run it almost once a day. While the armor designs may not be the best, it’s certainty not the worst in the game. I think they’re the sort of thing that needs to grow on you. It’s also a reason of the stats on those armors. While SE provides the great PVT and TPPr armors, CoF, CoE, and Arah all provide the more meta Berserker stats. And as somebody mentioned, the level 60 rares aren’t providing the frustratingly important Ectoplasm so people are less likely to desire to run the dungeon for easy rares.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

[…]

No. I’m saying “Nobody likes dredge”

Well, I said “I was going to say that” to someone who said “nobody likes dredge”.
Then I gave examples of why people does not like dredge.

It does not matter where they are, they’ll carry the stigma wherever they appear.

Bombers may be only in the fractal, and their suits may not be that frequent, but disaggregators and their boons are almost everywhere where’s theres dredge.

It doesn’t matter where they are and what they bring. They are always annoying. Along krait, they are arguably one of the most annoying enemies to fight.

It doesn’t matter how easy or hard they are, or if you know the tactics against them or not. They are still annoying.

Nobody likes dredge.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: rozcinana.7249

rozcinana.7249

Path 1 is fast and easy. Decent money if I recall correctly. I’m always up for it so if anyone else runs it regularly feel free to add me and invite me on your next run

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

The very sight of Dredge makes me sick. End of story.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

Posted by: azureai.9764

azureai.9764

Bombers may be only in the fractal…

Bombers are definitely in SE, and they are indeed more than annoying. Many of the bombers in SE are avoidable, but players won’t know that in their early experiences with the dungeon and are likely to get exploded to death. Plus, don’t count on those bombers being avoidable when the AC-update wave gets to Sorrow’s Embrace.

It’s not a horrible dungeon. Just…who wants to help the Dredge?

Posted by: yarpen.1364

yarpen.1364

path 1 has zero dredge at all. Inquest + golems.

path 2 is long, nobody will do it

path 3 you need to kill 4 dredge. add 6 more if you don’t like skipping everyting.
Also path 1 and path 3 has waypoints everywhere now, its great dungeon for leveling.

Posted by: Drunken Mad King.8193

Drunken Mad King.8193

In all honesty for me, while I enjoy the storyline in there about the paths, I hate the dredge overall. The weapons are a reskin that you can get with karma (that’s just plain lazy graphic design) and the armor isn’t appealing to me outside of the possible helm but even that is not one of my favorites. I run it to help guildies get DM and other than that I simply ignore it’s existence. I have tokens sitting in the bank but not sure what for.

Posted by: Iures.2894

Iures.2894

It seems like after a certain level of DR while running CoF, SE would become the more profitable dungeon. Once your CoF runs are generating less than ten tokens as the final reward, it seems like the higher price of Destroyer cores/lodestones should outweigh the tokens. . .

But, yeah, I actually hadn’t realized until reading this that 2 of the paths don’t even really have dredge in them. Screw dredge. >_>

Posted by: rozcinana.7249

rozcinana.7249

I agree on the SE weapons. I was really disappointed to learn they were only a red version of glyphic weapons. But I still like path 1 and 3.

Posted by: sbr.8170

sbr.8170

:D

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I think SE has the ugliest looking armor sets. All 3 of them.

Posted by: Copenhagen.7015

Copenhagen.7015

Horrible looking armor and weapons, I can’t salvage rares for Ectos, and I’d rather run CoF, CoE, AC, and Fractals.

Posted by: Aegis.9724

Aegis.9724

Because after doing SE story and all the wipes in dredge fractal i had enough of the dredges already. Happy to read p1 has none , might run it after all

Posted by: Lightrayne.7829

Lightrayne.7829

My static team could do SE if we wanted, but… in terms of making money CoF and higher just offer better rewards because the rares from tokens can be salvaged into ecto.

Posted by: loneknight.8425

loneknight.8425

It’s my fave dungeon, I get all my knight armors for my knight/valkrie setup from there.

And this XD

The thief who did dat – Crystal Desert

Posted by: LONGA.1652

LONGA.1652

Tezza drop nerf get people less 5S per run.Because A-net seeing that she’s easy when got dragged from her buddy.

Dredges aren’t really troublesome after last month nerf.They are managable now.It’s just that player need to change thier tactics a bit.Cause blinding which most squishy class rely on aren’t working .

Posted by: SSalp.6423

SSalp.6423

Horrible looking armor and weapons, I can’t salvage rares for Ectos, and I’d rather run CoF, CoE, AC, and Fractals.

exactly this

Immotal Kingdom[KING] – Desolation

Posted by: Recycle.5493

Recycle.5493

Since AC gears and SE armors are equally ugly and I don’t really like neither of the weapon sets, majority of my soldier gears are farmed through SE path 1/3 and HotW path 1. SE path 1 and 3 are a breeze for lvl 80 characters, they take almost the same time, if not shorter time, than AC runs.

Posted by: Cato.3547

Cato.3547

SE has been my favorite token farm dungeon for awhile now mainly bcs its not fotm dungeon for new players like AC or COF and you usually get more experienced party therefore much smoother run+ paths 1 and 3 are one of the fastest paths in game.

Posted by: nortagemdrol.9071

nortagemdrol.9071

It’s a shame that dungeons are all about speed clears and making money. I cleared SE path 2 last night for the first time and the last boss was a great challenge and a lot of fun.

Posted by: Vees.7816

Vees.7816

It’s a shame that dungeons are all about speed clears and making money. I cleared SE path 2 last night for the first time and the last boss was a great challenge and a lot of fun.

They’re all about fun the first 2 times. Then you just want the tokens.

Posted by: Erebus.3897

Erebus.3897

Im running it cuz i need the Gift of the Forgeman… BUT if i wasent grinding for a Legen… id never touch it…

Armor is UGLY as UGLY gets, no matter how you dye it… you’ll look like a walking oven…

and dredge make constipated noises… eehgh, NO, eehgh…. UGH!

Commander Gladius Deum [ART]
Gate of Madness

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

it’s not that bad. like mentioned, p1/3 can be pretty fast. i’m looking for some soldier weaps so will try running this again soon. i quite like the weapons actually. it’s glyphic, but red!

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Toast.6459

Toast.6459

Ran it up to 210 tokens one time, just couldn’t do it after that. If the dredge didn’t give me a headache, the big destroyer at whatever path did, mostly because my groups couldn’t dodge.

“No no no, we should go to the armory. That’s where Zadorojno no no.”

Yeah, there was that too

Posted by: jwaz.1908

jwaz.1908

Because the dungeon armor is some of the least attractive.

Brom Svánigandr – Druid
Nemata Sapshield – Dragonhunter
Lillian Estre – Tempest

Posted by: panikos.8309

panikos.8309

Well, the state it was until recently and the bad rep it left behind I guess. When I wanted to make a PVT set I had HotW AC, Temples and SE as a choice and ended up with HotW+Temples even though I wanted full SE because all I could hear was that it is a mess and very difficult to do. Im working my way to full SE light knight armor now. Need 500 more tokens. Im trying to do all paths each day. With a party of 2 wars 1 ele, 1 engi and me(necromancer) path 2 took us around 35-38 mins the others 10-15 mins. Its easy enough if people know/listen to the basic strategy of each encounter.

edit: I usually play on silent mode so I can hear my voice chat. I got no idea what that nonono thing is

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

My guild runs SE alot. There are some really interesting fights in SE, especially in the “free the prisoners” path. As far as why people don’t, I know alot of people arent fans of the armor. Imo, it looks best on asura (little stormtroopers) or Charr (charr engineers in all SE gear with a flamethrower looks awesome), which are two of the less played races.

As far as not liking the dredge, they are my favorite opponents on my mesmer. Equip arcane thievery and null field and watch the group eat through them in no time. Without their boons, they are pushovers. If you dont have a mesmer (or a necro with wells), simply focus down the disaggregators to eliminate the gongs.