Why not give tokens in story mode ?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

You do get small amounts of tokens from story mode, they’re in those bags.

I have never received tokens from doing story mode, in the bags you get coins and 400 Karma vial.

Seconded. There are no tokens in Storymode’s Wondrous Bags.

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

Posted by: Cuchullain.3104

Cuchullain.3104

Our feedback was that rather than face the challenge of Explorable dungeons, high skill groups would just afk faceroll the much easier story mode content for the guaranteed smaller token amount.

“Our feedback” again. Yeah, right. You have to wonder which of the 5 players in this game this applies to they got the feedback from. Few people would avoid more challenging explorables to faceroll content that gives lesser rewards (with lame diminishing returns, no less). Adding tokens gives an incentive for “high skill” groups to do the story mode for the benefit of those who haven’t done it.

Don’t pretend some huge imbalance is going to be added to the game by this, because that is absurd.

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

You do get small amounts of tokens from story mode, they’re in those bags.

I have never received tokens from doing story mode, in the bags you get coins and 400 Karma vial.

Seconded. There are no tokens in Storymode’s Wondrous Bags.

Thir… tert… whatever, I agree. Never got a token from those bags.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Posted by: Draymos.5489

Draymos.5489

I always wondered why it wasn’t set up so that story mode rewarded tokens (to all members) if and only if the dungeon starter had not previously completed it.

This would make it easier to find a group for new players, but experienced players would not be able to consistently take advantage of it (sure they would once per alt, or once if they haven’t previously done it).

It would also make the experienced players a bit more supportive of the new one: if the new one leaves, then the group disbands due to the dungeon owner feature. Knowing this, experienced players who don’t want to be patient with newplayers, would be less likely to join the new player than those who really want to help.

Story modes are currently frequently much more difficult than explorables because average dungeon experience within the group is usually much lower. This makes them a very different experience from explorable dungeons, and not in a starter experience sort of way. Giving rewards to those helping first timers would improve both the starter experience aspect of story mode, as well as increasing the options in terms of dungeons to run for experienced runners who are willing to help out a player who might lack experience.

The system is to keep people from farming storymode over explore. People farm easy not hard things in games for quick loot.

As for rewards maybe laurels reward or something like rare drop matches lvl drop would be nice. But dungeon tokens in storymode ever impleted would need to be 10 tokens or less and one time only deal to keep away farmers from storymode.

Posted by: Lucky.9421

Lucky.9421

You don’t see many people doing story mode and that is sad because it is clear Anet put a lot of work into them.

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

I think it should 60 first time and then none until the reset. Laurels are a good idea too but maybe only one a day.

Posted by: Kashrlyyk.5364

Kashrlyyk.5364

We had them in story before launch, but what we found is that we couldn’t strike a balance between the amount we give for completing story mode, and the difficult difference. Our feedback was that rather than face the challenge of Explorable dungeons, high skill groups would just afk faceroll the much easier story mode content for the guaranteed smaller token amount. We tried several things, but couldn’t strike the balance, so we removed tokens from story mode as a reward and put them into explorable mode only as a reward.

kittening hell. All you have to do is take a good group and time every dungeon in story and explorer mode. After that you define the amount of tokens per hour or day or week good players should be able to get in story mode or in explorer mode and scale the rewards accordingly.

How could you not find that solution?

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

Wholeheartedly agree that something should be added to sm dungeons. I also agree w/ a lot of the posters here that sm is actually harder/longer than a lot of the exp paths (case in point cof sm and cof p1/2).

Serenity now~Insanity later

Posted by: voidwater.2064

voidwater.2064

Why not equalize the difficulties of story and explorable mode, and treat story mode like any other path?

Posted by: Sleel.8365

Sleel.8365

Without considering adding a different, but unique reward to story mode?

:(

Course not. We all want that POS hat. Ain’t that enough?

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Why not giving just a few tokens on the first run? Just a few tokens, like 10 or something.

I don’t think people would make characters and level them up just for that. And people would still have a decent reason to get story done with more than one character other than being able to start the dungeon.

I’ve seen people starting the dungeon with one character and then switching, just to avoid having to do it again.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: bravoart.5308

bravoart.5308

Took a group through the Story dungeons one by one this weekend, and holy kitten SE story was just the most painful thing out of them all. The only time I have comparably less fun is CoE path 1.

Story modes could really use some love/rebalancing for level/gear appropriate characters. Rewards beyond being able to unlock explorable modes all by yourself would be nice.

Finally I recalled the stopgap solution of a great princess who was told that the
peasants had no bread and who responded: “Let them eat brioche.”