Why not scale based on # in party?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Grumplin.6425

Grumplin.6425

Hi! I just wanted to drop a suggestion for any Dev that might read it and also think it is a good idea to send up the chain to Anet.

Currently Fractals and Dungeons are locked to only 5 man parties max. (Sure you can go with less). But why not make them where they will scale up based on the number of players in your group (squad). For example, I know we run into this problem a lot in our guild. You may be online with 6 or 7 other friends online and someone mentions “Hey! who wants to do a fractal or dungeon!?”. Well all 7 people speak up and say! Me me me!
Well….. Bummer, we can only take a group of 5. Sorry we have to leave people out now.

This is not a good model that promotes group/friend play. With the very limited (in-game) guild activities available (i.e. guild missions, etc) there really should be more ways that more people can do things together that is not restricted to just 5 man parties.

Being restricted to just 5-man parties promotes the creation of separated groups and cliques in guilds that are counterproductive to the point of guild play.

With all that said. I, and probably many others, would really like to see added to the game, the ability to go into fractals, dungeons, etc with any number of people and have it scale appropriately. I know they have the mechanics in place to scale events, why not fractals, dungeons etc.???

Thanks,
Grumplin

Tyrs Paladium – GW2 Chapter Officer

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It’s a lot more work to set up multiple scales beyond what we already have. It multiplies the amount of design & implementation issues that need to be addressed, not to mention testing, troubleshooting, and fixing that has to happen when they get something wrong.

Personally, I’d rather see more fractals released more often with more revisions (e.g. revamped swampland) than see the devs spend more time on the existing instances to balance them for larger parties.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: FrostDraco.8306

FrostDraco.8306

Considering all of them can be done easily with 1-2 people. I don’t think this is necessary.

If your group is full of bad players that struggle to complete even 5 man content, or dungeons with 2 people, then the problem isnt the content.

I can finish most dungeons with 1 other person in 8-10mins per path excluding arah. Why would they need to scale down for example, if they are that simple? If anything I’d argue for making the 5 man versions harder than current. Because they are just too easy.

(edited by FrostDraco.8306)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

@FrostDraco: I think the OP is asking for the purposes of being able to play with 6 others, not because they think it’s too difficult. In effect, an 8-person fractal would be harder than the current 5.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Raid would be a fair choice wouldn’t it? They are 10-man instances content. OP now only needs to look for 2-3 more to join their group.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Because of how boon and buff sharing works, scaling with players is very complex.

Posted by: Benjamin Arnold

Benjamin Arnold

Content Programmer

The others have highlighted mostly why we don’t do this. It’s a lot more work, taking precious time away from new fractals, systems, and rework, and it blurs the definition of fractals. I agree it would be super neat to also scale difficulty with party size in a way, but I don’t ever see that happening based on our backlog and the reasons stated above.