Why push lupi to the wall?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: zargnath.9524

zargnath.9524

So I have thought about soloing lupicus for a while now and thought it’s about time to get down to business by now. However I have heard a bit about wether to push him into the wall or not and some people say it is easier if you do so. But I don’t really get why you should do it.

What are the pros and cons of pushing lupicus into the wall compared to keeping him in the middle of the room?

Gnarl Blackfur – Charr ranger
Bob – Four legged shapeshifter
HeXagonis [HeX]

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

he doesnt use some of his attacks when you stay inside his red circle

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

I’ll quote myself from another thread that I literally just posted on.

He’ll always reset to full HP if he steps past one of the gates. I believe the reason this is the case is probably just a fail-safe just in case somebody tries some obscure exploit like luring him out of the arena to safespot him. This is just my own speculation.

If he’s on the wall with you but off to the side, do not try to move in his red circle until during an attack. Lupicus, along with all other mobs in this game, will only attempt to correct their target being out of their line of sight in between attacks. The reason that a person is capable of preventing his necrid trap (bubble) attack and the rapid fire one at all is because when he’s against the wall, he isn’t able to travel in the direction that he attempts to, due to the wall blocking his movement. These two skills of his require a target to be a certain distance from him in order to use, similarly to how for example you won’t be able to place a banner as far away from you as you would be able to shoot something with a longbow (poor example I know).

In other words, it’s flawed AI. What would ideally be the case is that when unable to move in any other direction anymore, attempt to move in another direction instead.

This is why it’s ambiguous whether or not pushing him against the wall is considered an exploit/cheating, as it’s not using unintended mechanics (like leaping onto terrain/safespotting) to succeed in the fight but more or less just knowing the limitations of mob AI in the game and taking advantage of/abusing it. No different than LOSing/stacking tbh.

Long answer, but hopefully you’ll better understand it now.

A few other reasons…

Take note of the warrior arms 20 trait X – Forceful greatsword: gain might on critical hit

This trait in conjunction with whirlwind AND rush (GS #3 and #5 for warr) significantly boost damage altogether from short-lived might stacks along with enabling all hits of whirlwind to hit him. He’s a larger target so if you whirlwind through him out in the open you’ll hit him more than once still, but generally speaking this is a reliable tactic to hit a LOT of damage even on small targets provided you whirlwind directly into a wall/object.

It’s even more significant for eles using FGS #4, to make sure all ticks of damage will hit.

Another benefit is that sometimes during phase 1, swarms can potentially spawn behind the wall, where they won’t be able to attack you.

One consequence that I can immediately think of is that it makes it tougher for people still learning to time their evasions for his kicks on phase 1, because the tell isn’t as visible due to Lupi’s character model rendering partially out of your field of view during the animation.

(edited by Purple Miku.7032)

Posted by: zargnath.9524

zargnath.9524

Thanks Miku, a good explanation. I will have to give it a few tries to see what I prefer.

Gnarl Blackfur – Charr ranger
Bob – Four legged shapeshifter
HeXagonis [HeX]

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

Good job, Miku!<

Making us look all informative and whatnot. Pshaw.

+1 ^^

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: Tree.3916

Tree.3916

Simply put, it’s another degree harder to learn to solo him off the wall. Learn to solo him off the wall first and you’ll be a better player for it.

DnT Apply today if you think you can hang with the best of the best
http://www.twitch.tv/tree_dnt || https://twitter.com/Tree_DnT
The meta is changing at an alarming rate!

Posted by: hendo.1940

hendo.1940

Soloing off the wall is just a lag check imo. If your connection is bad, gg you lose because your evade didn’t go off in time, if it’s good, well lucky you.

Rezardi – [DnT]
Game over, yo.

Purple Miku.7032

Simply put, it’s another degree harder to learn to solo him off the wall. Learn to solo him off the wall first and you’ll be a better player for it.

While I agree with this, I feel the need to mention that for whatever reason I seem to lag slightly more during his rapid fire attack, which is pretty obnoxious. By lag, I mean whirlwind delaying sometimes ~0.5s more and taking a tick of damage.

Also, with horrible RNG it’s very possible that you might have no choice but to eviscarate, depending on how soon he decides to use one of his attacks that requires either whirlwind/block or a double evasion. Usually it can be avoided with just swiftness to close the gap, but not 100% of the time if he’s using them long before cooldowns are up even when you aren’t wasting anything.

Example:
Life drink immediately followed by Life suck, immediately followed by the rapid fire, immediately followed by another Life drink.

Losing 15% damage output = meh.

Soloing off the wall is just a lag check imo. If your connection is bad, gg you lose because your evade didn’t go off in time, if it’s good, well lucky you.

Well said.

(edited by Purple Miku.7032)

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

You can get the same effect by pushing him to an area where the terrain is uneven. Except the locusts part.
The main issue with wall is that it makes it harder to avoid p2 swipe if you’re lacking endurance(dagger necro). You can still avoid it by walking kinda around but I find it extremely unreliable if he’s at wall.

Posted by: guanlongwucaii.3162

guanlongwucaii.3162

TFW you whirlwind attack but still lose half your health from a barrage

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

Connection isn’t any more of a problem in phase 3 than the other phases. The biggest factor is people not understanding GS animations (warriors) and/or the mechanics of the rapidfire skill.

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Purple Miku.7032

Connection isn’t any more of a problem in phase 3 than the other phases. The biggest factor is people not understanding GS animations (warriors) and/or the mechanics of the rapidfire skill.

Latency*

And I slightly disagree because you can pretty much block all of the aoe in phase 2 and don’t need to dodge for anything other than a swipe with a HUGE tell, whereas if you’re offwall on phase 3, need to be very precise with evasions else you’ll take large ticks of damage. Nothing 1-hits you, but it’s pretty awful with 400-500+ ping.

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

I play with that ping, and I only take damage in that phase because of player error, or I get a ping spike. Assuming it’s stable, ping isn’t an excuse for taking damage in phase 3 off of the wall. People usually get caught in animations and/or aftercasts which causes their WA to delay, and then they blame it on lag, when it is just lack of mechanical knowledge.

To answer the OP: You push lupi in the wall because it’s easier and/or you want to be lazy and/or because you can’t solo it without the wall.

(edited by The Mexican Cookie.3690)

Posted by: Spoj The Second.7680

Spoj The Second.7680

Not always true. You can take damage after dodging the barrage simply because the projectiles splash outside of the circle, sometimes really far. But yeah if you know the animations well enough you should only recieve 3 ticks of damage maximum in that situation.

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

I push him to the wall because I am too bad to do him legit. Must exploit.

Dub | [rT]

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

Fiery exploit sword, main reason. Other reasons are secondary, and nowhere near as important as the Exploit Rush.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

Posted by: Tree.3916

Tree.3916

While I agree with this, I feel the need to mention that for whatever reason I seem to lag slightly more during his rapid fire attack, which is pretty obnoxious. By lag, I mean whirlwind delaying sometimes ~0.5s more and taking a tick of damage.

Also, with horrible RNG it’s very possible that you might have no choice but to eviscarate, depending on how soon he decides to use one of his attacks that requires either whirlwind/block or a double evasion. Usually it can be avoided with just swiftness to close the gap, but not 100% of the time if he’s using them long before cooldowns are up even when you aren’t wasting anything.

Example:
Life drink immediately followed by Life suck, immediately followed by the rapid fire, immediately followed by another Life drink.

Losing 15% damage output = meh.

Well, that’s the test, right? Fighting Lupi on the wall in order to push times is a test of discipline in your dps rotations, which is a particular skillset. Fighting Lupi off the wall is a test of your resource management abilities, and a different skillset.

The very fact that you can be pushed so hard by the RNG of his attacks that you HAVE to Eviscerate to survive is what makes it challenging and interesting. As impressive as Goku’s ridiculously fast wall solos are, his sub 5 minute solo fighting Lupi off the wall is by far the most impressive.

DnT Apply today if you think you can hang with the best of the best
http://www.twitch.tv/tree_dnt || https://twitter.com/Tree_DnT
The meta is changing at an alarming rate!