Why the Dungeon System Is Broken.

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: vernriley.8063

vernriley.8063

For low levels, and new comers to Guild Wars 2, Dungeon Running Can be an issue.

Let me clarify why, below.

Most of the people running Dungeons are level 80’s going for achievements, farming gear, getting the gold or silver bonus, this is the case for most level dungeons.

For AC, this can be an issue for new comers and low leveled players.

The LFG System, most of the time, is fully geared level 80’s, looking for only other level 80’s, which is very annoying.

Hopefully, In the future, there can be a level cap for lower leveled dungeons.

Posted by: Ariete The Phoenix.8276

Ariete The Phoenix.8276

Create your own group?

Also known as Liahm Lee

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

Create your own group?

well I think what he’s saying is most new comer don’t know you can do that. So if they make a level cap, the low level will automatically group up by their self.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

This happens in every MMO where there is a dungeon component. Some players race to get to the level when dungeons can be attempted, learn them, and then mine them for whatever rewards they offer. Such players do not welcome newcomers, preferring those who have done as they did. No game company will ever present a dungeon system that bypasses human nature.

Posted by: Scorpion Over Lord.9036

Scorpion Over Lord.9036

Ok, so you want a level cap to only let players up to level X do that dungeon to give lower levels a chance at them…so what im actually seeing is level 80s are only able to do COE explore, HOTW and ARAH explore and i need to buy a new char expansion slot to level up to say 35 just to do AC so i can make twilight with the gift used with tokens. This sounds wonderful, Anet makes more gem sales and players already at 80 get to do less content even though the current system allows any1 from level 30 to make groups and do the level appropriate dungeons.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

This happens in every MMO where there is a dungeon component. Some players race to get to the level when dungeons can be attempted, learn them, and then mine them for whatever rewards they offer. Such players do not welcome newcomers, preferring those who have done as they did. No game company will ever present a dungeon system that bypasses human nature.

I don’t think that’s true. Most MMO will seperate their players through either veteran and heroic dungeon, and usually a max level players won’t go back to do low level dungeon since reward is pitiful.

I think Anet game design is don’t divide their players too much. That is what they say in their interview. So they make the new players and veteran players play together. (or is that just an excuse they are too lazy to make more difficulty tier).

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I don’t think that’s true. Most MMO will seperate their players through either veteran and heroic dungeon, and usually a max level players won’t go back to do low level dungeon since reward is pitiful.

I think Anet game design is don’t divide their players too much. That is what they say in their interview. So they make the new players and veteran players play together. (or is that just an excuse they are too lazy to make more difficulty tier).

Seen the phenomenon in every MMO I’ve played. Vet/heroic dungeons as a matter of course are a this-decade thing, and are not always around when the game/expansion hits. Even is they are, those who get to the basic dungeons first gear for the heroics there and don’t always want to be bothered with late-comers.

Posted by: Acotje.5689

Acotje.5689

Yea, good idea! Even LESS dungeon content for lvl80
Think before you speak, ty.

IF they add a level cap, they also have to make a lvl 80 version of those paths…
all that would change is higher fancy dmg numbers in lower level dungeons

Lets not disable content for lvl 80’s

Hello darkness, my old friend.

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

it should be easy enough to add a checkbox (available at 80) on the LFG “Exclusive 80” and when marked lower levels won’t be able to see your LFG post

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: Big Jay.1479

Big Jay.1479

it should be easy enough to add a checkbox (available at 80) on the LFG “Exclusive 80” and when marked lower levels won’t be able to see your LFG post

Add a Level Range to the LFG. Ability to choose Min/Max level for a dungeon run. This allows people who want to run with other level-appropriate chars to do so, and allows 80s to stay with 80s.

Mesket.5728

Add a Level Range to the LFG. Ability to choose Min/Max level for a dungeon run. This allows people who want to run with other level-appropriate chars to do so, and allows 80s to stay with 80s.

I thought about giving lvl brackets or a customizable range but that would only works for mid level to speculate on who to run with (saying a lvl 53 will open LGF to 53-80 only for his own benefit reducing the chances for a recent lvl 40 to run AC exp with other lowbies). That would reduce the issue but not address it directly.

Posted by: MastaNeenja.1537

MastaNeenja.1537

Yeah because reading LFGs is so hard it’s an exploit. I am pretty sure such a feature would cause more tears. Those who use such a feature would be labeled elitist anyway.

If Anet fixed existing dungeon issues, adding new lvl 80 only paths with more difficult encounters and better rewards would be a possible answer. You would still have people that can’t read and bad lvl 80 players complaining about the new additions though.

But all of this breaks their self imposed idea that we should all be able to play together just how we want and that’s working out great. Also let’s not forget the LS it’s painfully obvious this is the most important aspect of the game to NCsoft, a major dungeon overhaul just doesn’t seem likely any time soon.

Acotje.5689

Yeah because reading LFGs is so hard it’s an exploit. I am pretty sure such a feature would cause more tears. Those who use such a feature would be labeled elitist anyway.

If Anet fixed existing dungeon issues, adding new lvl 80 only paths with more difficult encounters and better rewards would be a possible answer. You would still have people that can’t read and bad lvl 80 players complaining about the new additions though.

But all of this breaks their self imposed idea that we should all be able to play together just how we want and that’s working out great. Also let’s not forget the LS it’s painfully obvious this is the most important aspect of the game to NCsoft, a major dungeon overhaul just doesn’t seem likely any time soon.

^this, 100%
There is not even a Dungeon Team, so yeah….

Posted by: Big Jay.1479

Big Jay.1479

If Anet fixed existing dungeon issues, adding new lvl 80 only paths with more difficult encounters and better rewards would be a possible answer.

To me, this is the REAL issue. AC gives 1g50s per path per day, while all other dungeons besides Arah gives 1g5s. IMHO This should be scaled more appropriately to encourage players to run the more difficult content, while still rewarding them for running the lower scaled paths.

i.e. 75s for AC paths (35), 1g for CM paths(45), 1g25s for TA up/forward (55), 3g for Aetherpath (80), 2g for SE (65), 2g25s for CoF (75), 3g for CoE, HotW and Arah p3 (80), 6g for Arah p1/2/4 (80)

Posted by: EcoRI.9273

EcoRI.9273

The problem that I’m getting from the O.P. is that AC which is meant for 35s is being done by 80s and most groups don’t want to pick up 35s because it significantly slow down the party. I think the way to do it is to encourage people to pick up lower level players in their groups. One way of doing it maybe is to give some silver from champ drops(like the old CoF days) depending on the avg level of players in the group when the champ is killed. And maybe only limit this to AC/CM/TA since they are “starter” dungeons. Or just upscale all sub 80 character’s gears to exotic quality.

http://www.twitch.tv/eco_r_i
Wynd Cloud | Fierce N Licious

(edited by EcoRI.9273)

Mesket.5728

If Anet fixed existing dungeon issues, adding new lvl 80 only paths with more difficult encounters and better rewards would be a possible answer.

To me, this is the REAL issue. AC gives 1g50s per path per day, while all other dungeons besides Arah gives 1g5s. IMHO This should be scaled more appropriately to encourage players to run the more difficult content, while still rewarding them for running the lower scaled paths.

i.e. 75s for AC paths (35), 1g for CM paths(45), 1g25s for TA up/forward (55), 3g for Aetherpath (80), 2g for SE (65), 2g25s for CoF (75), 3g for CoE, HotW and Arah p3 (80), 6g for Arah p1/2/4 (80)

at this point im not sure if anet employees knows their dungeon well enough.

Acotje.5689

at this point im not sure if anet employees knows their dungeon well enough.

“We have Dungeons in Guild Wars 2?”-Anet Employee

Posted by: MastaNeenja.1537

MastaNeenja.1537

I remember when they updated the gold rewards there was a collective what the kitten moment. The gold rewards were changed around the time they did an overhaul to AC the extra money was there to encourage players to run the new AC. However the AC update caused a lot of crying at the time and future dungeon reworks were halted it wasn’t long after that when the dungeon team was dissolved. Which happened to be when LS was also under way so it was a one two punch.

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

I really don’t think that’s how the layout for difficulty is though. Level doesn’t really determine difficulty. AC with the spider change now IMO has it harder than SE1 but below SE3. COF1 is IMO the easiest dungeon path, where CoF2 would be about middle ground.

What I wouldn’t mind seeing is something they did in EQ. Missions (dungeons) done more frequently would diminish in rewards. I thought the EQ system was a bit imperfect as I thought they should also add a gain for missions done less often than the average. So not just deminishing returns, but also gains on lesser used content.

Paths like HOTW2/3 or SE2 would be quite valuable as they’re hardly ever run.

The idea is you’d have more people running different dungeons and the common dungeon tour daily paths would be a smaller gain. Keep the same overall total for dungeons as a whole, but it constantly shifts to push people to run different paths.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Anet already did this. And the current rewards system is the best they could come up with. Don’t expect more.

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

If there was a level cap for dungeons (and I assume you mean that players higher X level can’t run unless they have a specific Y level path) the only thing you are really accomplishing is segregating level 80s from the rest by giving them a “special” version of the dungeon to play. Yes I agree that the LFG is mostly groups looking for lvl 80’s or specialized groups. However, there are still many “any welcome” groups that any level can join. I occassionaly do “teaching run, newb only” LFGs to help out those of lower levels. There are plently of opportunities for lower levels to do or join in a dungeon group as it is. And figuring out the LFG tool isn’t that hard, and I believe they give a tutorial on it as well.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”