-.- What are you talking about?

Why the Selfish Builds?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

-.- What are you talking about?

T.T I DONT KNOW

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Why the Selfish Builds?

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

You can rally off all the bots except that one specific one I believe. :P

Why the Selfish Builds?

Lilith Ajit.6173

You can rally off all the bots except that one specific one I believe. :P

I was absolutely not aware of that.

(Is this true or are you messing with me?)

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?

Why the Selfish Builds?

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

spoj log you kitten fgt. Come onnnnnnnnnn

Why the Selfish Builds?

spoj.9672

I dunno but ive done the same and not rallied before. But then the other bots have rallied me. So yeah, im assuming one of them (or more) dont count for rallying.

@Gabe
Im busy shush!

Why the Selfish Builds?

Lilith Ajit.6173

I dunno but ive done the same and not rallied before. But then the other bots have rallied me. So yeah, im assuming one of them (or more) dont count for rallying.

Good to know thanks ^.^

[ARES]

Why the Selfish Builds?

deSade.9437

@Gabe
Im busy shush!

DON’T SHUSH ME!!1!1

Why the Selfish Builds?

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

Meh, I also want to run with you good dungeon runners. Do I really have to post something against selfish builds in order to do so ?

I’m terrified of running with them. I don’t want them to know how bad I am.

However, on this thread, if everyone plays selfish builds, isn’t it true that the party should be fine? Everyone takes care of themself, everyone wins?

Hell NO! This is the freaking worst thing you could ever do!
Being focused on yourself and not being a teamplayer, this is what f—ks you up the most. This stupid game, unfortunately, is so easy that many self-centered idiots can get away with being selfish – not ressing and not bringing any support to the team; since there’s no true hardcore content other than high lvl fractals, you’re allowed to play randomly with no field awareness and not caring about anyone but yourself even in 48+… Meh. Problem is, they make any run a pain.
The party won’t be fine if you take care of yourself only, especially in pugs. They’re too fragile: if you go down, everyone risks a wipe. Can you imagine pugs 4 or 3-manning? Seven hells.

This has kind of been my point….

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

Why the Selfish Builds?

Posted by: voidwater.2064

voidwater.2064

Sure, but you don’t argue from the strongest position, since your guard build is pretty terrible, so show some humility.

Why the Selfish Builds?

Posted by: JMar.3254

JMar.3254

Yesterday…. In a fractal 48…. I killed baron Von scrufflebutt from downed and I didn’t rally, ( I hit him about 8 times with 1 and 2 times with 3 so…. Yeah) but it was able to give the rest of the team enough gumption to finish the other bots in time for me to bandage myself up….

….I think I was the only zerker, though… I didn’t support my team enough.

Was this our run? If so, I was definitely full zerk, always am =).

I think there were 3 of us that didn’t rally off of Baron von Scrufflebutt (I think it’s cuz I called him scrufflebutt on mumble, and didn’t address him by his full title)

But then we rallied off of Professor Mew (Probably teaches at University of pheonix) so I’m not sure what that was about.

You get nothing! You lose, good day sir!

Why the Selfish Builds?

Lilith Ajit.6173

Yesterday…. In a fractal 48…. I killed baron Von scrufflebutt from downed and I didn’t rally, ( I hit him about 8 times with 1 and 2 times with 3 so…. Yeah) but it was able to give the rest of the team enough gumption to finish the other bots in time for me to bandage myself up….

….I think I was the only zerker, though… I didn’t support my team enough.

Was this our run? If so, I was definitely full zerk, always am =).

I think there were 3 of us that didn’t rally off of Baron von Scrufflebutt (I think it’s cuz I called him scrufflebutt on mumble, and didn’t address him by his full title)

But then we rallied off of Professor Mew (Probably teaches at University of pheonix) so I’m not sure what that was about.

Naw, that was Saturday! I ran yesterday with kal and his girlfriend.

[ARES]

Why the Selfish Builds?

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

so I’m not sure what that was about.

Bugs? Don’t be afraid, they’re amongst us.

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

Why the Selfish Builds?

Lilith Ajit.6173

so I’m not sure what that was about.

Bugs? Don’t be afraid, they’re amongst us.

2 tru

[ARES]

Why the Selfish Builds?

jportell.2197

Sure, but you don’t argue from the strongest position, since your guard build is pretty terrible, so show some humility.

My guard build is still more group friendly than several others like full zerk med builds I still cringe everytime I see a guardian using nothing but meds on dungeons.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

Why the Selfish Builds?

Posted by: Anicetus.1253

Anicetus.1253

Many people would consider me a selfish player, although i’m very supporting. In AC p1, we (a pug team) failed on howling king like 5 times. Someone left, i invited a guildie. Three more attempts, all failing. I’m telling the three pugs to stay out of fight and they leave the dungeon. Duo’ing the boss first attempt. Same at lupicus, alphard, wraithlord and so on. Letting pugs die yields much higher chances to finish an encounter.

Why the Selfish Builds?

Posted by: guanlongwucaii.3162

guanlongwucaii.3162

It’s still pretty kitten terrible and offers less support (blind/vuln spam) than the meta DPS builds.

Why the Selfish Builds?

spoj.9672

Ive never seen a meditation guard in pve. Standard zerk builds dont use them except for the situational judges intervention. Pretty sure the meta dps builds support more than your build.

Why the Selfish Builds?

JMar.3254

Ive never seen a meditation guard in pve. Standard zerk builds dont use them except for the situational judges intervention. Pretty sure the meta dps builds support more than your build.

People don’t understand that 5 dps selfish builds is incredibly fast and easy compared to 5 support builds (play as you want).

The issue is when you get 2 dps selfish builds and 3 play as you want, as it becomes harder to take down the boss and there is more room for mistakes. The dps ones go down and get tired of dying, so they switch to defensive builds, and the 3 play as you want blame them for dying.

I know I’m preaching to the choir, just discussing =)

Why the Selfish Builds?

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

I’m always happy when a female wants to join.

Why the Selfish Builds?

Lilith Ajit.6173

I’m always happy when a female wants to join.

As long as I get into VoIP

Ask ethics, though, I’m bad and I have a potty mouth.

[ARES]

Why the Selfish Builds?

spoj.9672

But you are not on EU. :<

All elitists should come to eu!

Why the Selfish Builds?

Anicetus.1253

Give haviz some internet love

Why the Selfish Builds?

Lilith Ajit.6173

Darn it!

I love my TC too much to ever leave it.

[ARES]

Why the Selfish Builds?

deSade.9437

Why, WHY do people assume support team=cleric? This is getting on my nerves. Care to explain?!?
E: what the hell, I read things like “selfish dps builds” and “play how I want support builds”; since when is playing berserker a synonym of selfish?

(edited by deSade.9437)

Why the Selfish Builds?

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

No comment. Apparently I’m just a filthy elitist though, that’s what I get for expecting my party to be competent.

(Not directed at you lilith =))

RIP in peace Robert

Why the Selfish Builds?

Lilith Ajit.6173

No comment. Apparently I’m just a filthy elitist though, that’s what I get for expecting my party to be competent.

(Not directed at you lilith =))

You and your Mesmer…. Yesterday during harpy, I jumped to my death while stealthier twice. The nice thief brought me back up both times, was far too nice to me.

Btw we ran with that thief and the guardian from Saturday, they did not disappoint.

[ARES]

Why the Selfish Builds?

Anicetus.1253

Why, WHY do people assume support team=cleric? This is getting on my nerves. Care to explain?!?

I assume how I want.

Why the Selfish Builds?

haviz.1340

VoIP is obligatory, that’s granted.

Why the Selfish Builds?

Lilith Ajit.6173

Hahaha. Is this obligatory for male members too?

[ARES]

Why the Selfish Builds?

deSade.9437

I’ve just conducted a test with the pug roulette in cof… yes, 5-signet warriors aren’t extinct yet and yes, they still think they’re hot s—t. He managed to do a whopping nothing for the whole run.
… I don’t even have the strength to kick anymore.
I rage how I want.

Why the Selfish Builds?

haviz.1340

Obviously.

Why the Selfish Builds?

Anicetus.1253

Only for those with sexy voices like me.

Why the Selfish Builds?

Lilith Ajit.6173

I’m excited. Hahaha

[ARES]

Why the Selfish Builds?

Posted by: Seveleniumus.5973

Seveleniumus.5973

Problem is that it’s so easy to just stack dps in this game, even if you sacrifice seemingly insignificant amount of toughness and healing you’re suddenly seeing 2x/3x increase in damage, usually more, this game is designed in the way, that if something doesn’t burst you down, it probably can’t get you down at all, now toughness and healing are more targeted towards a long-term sustain, so even if you’re taking 1/2 damage it’s just not good enough, because you will still get downed if you won’t dodge properly and by leaving mobs alive longer with low dps, you’re exposing yourself for more opportunities to make mistakes.

Why the Selfish Builds?

jportell.2197

E: what the hell, I read things like “selfish dps builds” and “play how I want support builds”; since when is playing berserker a synonym of selfish?

Its not that zerk=selfish its that when people play this zerk builds they don’t think to bring utilities and traits that buff their party.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

Why the Selfish Builds?

JMar.3254

Its not that zerk=selfish its that when people play this zerk builds they don’t think to bring utilities and traits that buff their party.

Just wait till after this update. You’ll see a 5 signet warrior, when you ask why, he’ll just ping his 6/6 rune of resistance.

Why the Selfish Builds?

Posted by: maxinion.8396

maxinion.8396

So the moral of the story is…

Spec’ing for completely solo play, like a 5 signet warrior, is bad because it lowers group DPS and does not raise your solo DPS enough to compensate. Overspec’ing for group play, like an AH guardian with staff, is bad because it lowers your own DPS more than it raises group DPS, thereby lowering group DPS.

We all want mad group DPS. Builds on either end of the “selfish” and “group-style” are bad because of this. A good player knows where the balance which maximizes DPS is. For warriors, that’s banners and so on. For guards, it’s the more “selfish” builds most of the time, since the natural guardian qualities of constantly throwing up aegis and so on are good enough for support, and things like AH do not actually help you in raising group DPS.

Can we finish the thread now?

Why the Selfish Builds?

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

Which simply isn’t true. There are people who use cleric’s gear who use selfish utilities and traits and people who use cleric’s gear who use team oriented utilities and traits. There are people who use zerker gear who use selfish utilities and traits and people who use zerker gear who use team oriented utilities and traits.

Your correlation of zerker and selfish utilities/traits is completely inaccurate. If a person builds themselves selfish, it’s not the gear that makes them selfish.

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

Why the Selfish Builds?

deSade.9437

Morale of the story: invite Wethospu and let him solo the whole path while you sit back and relax, sipping a tea.

Why the Selfish Builds?

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

Morale of the story: invite Wethospu and let him solo the whole path while you sit back and relax, sipping a tea.

I’m sure this is still faster than most pug runs!

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

Why the Selfish Builds?

Posted by: Berner.7289

Berner.7289

In AC p1, we (a pug team) failed on howling king like 5 times. Someone left, i invited a guildie. Three more attempts, all failing. I’m telling the three pugs to stay out of fight and they leave the dungeon. Duo’ing the boss first attempt.

If you could duo the boss, why couldn’t you defeat it with the three pugs in the fight? I’m not sure how their inclusion (and apparent deaths) would make it harder for you and your guildmate.

Why the Selfish Builds?

JMar.3254

I’m sure this is still faster than most pug runs!

Sorry man, you obvoiusly missed the all-knowing people over in the fractured forum. They have already spoken on Wethospu:

I will tell you a secret. The decision is actually made by Anet developers, not some random Asura.

If you cant justify a reward in content of game you don’t disserve it and truly don’t know the content of fotm

Why the Selfish Builds?

JMar.3254

In AC p1, we (a pug team) failed on howling king like 5 times. Someone left, i invited a guildie. Three more attempts, all failing. I’m telling the three pugs to stay out of fight and they leave the dungeon. Duo’ing the boss first attempt.

If you could duo the boss, why couldn’t you defeat it with the three pugs in the fight? I’m not sure how their inclusion (and apparent deaths) would make it harder for you and your guildmate.

Two people who know to kite the gravelings to the fire quickly, will hold the aggro, and easily kill them off.

If there are more people, they can’t control the aggro. The gravelings will now pile up, not die in the fire, and by the time the 3 pugs are dead you will now have 20 gravelings instead of 4/5

Why the Selfish Builds?

Berner.7289

Two people who know to kite the gravelings to the fire quickly, will hold the aggro, and easily kill them off.

If there are more people, they can’t control the aggro. The gravelings will now pile up, not die in the fire, and by the time the 3 pugs are dead you will now have 20 gravelings instead of 4/5

Sounds more like a issue of not knowing where to stand, rather than anything to do with builds or skill. If you fight the boss along the western wall (particularly in the NW corner) there is essentially zero chance of that many gravelings making it to the spot of the fight. I don’t think I’ve had a single group wipe on AC1 since I started to tell my party to fight in that corner and ping the spot on the minimap. Seems crazy to hear that someone wiped eight times in a row.

Why the Selfish Builds?

JMar.3254

Sounds more like a issue of not knowing where to stand, rather than anything to do with builds or skill. If you fight the boss along the western wall (particularly in the NW corner) there is essentially zero chance of that many gravelings making it to the spot of the fight. I don’t think I’ve had a single group wipe on AC1 since I started to tell my party to fight in that corner and ping the spot on the minimap. Seems crazy to hear that someone wiped eight times in a row.

You introduce aspects outside of the conversation. The question was why was it easier to kill with 2 rather than 5 people, I explained a possible situation in which killing with two would be easier than 5.

There are many situations like this. Spider queen. If only 2 people know to stay stacked in the corner, those 3 will kill the group. If it’s just two people, it may take longer, but will not wipe.

Why the Selfish Builds?

Posted by: maxinion.8396

maxinion.8396

ok, pretty sure this is a better moral than my attempt~

Why the Selfish Builds?

deSade.9437

ok, pretty sure this is a better moral than my attempt~

I’m a professional.

Why the Selfish Builds?

Berner.7289

There are many situations like this. Spider queen. If only 2 people know to stay stacked in the corner, those 3 will kill the group. If it’s just two people, it may take longer, but will not wipe.

You seemed to have missed the point. Unlike the Spider Queen poison pools, the graveling adds in the Howling King fight are spawned regardless of whether the group fights in a melee stack. Consequently, the key to consistently defeating the boss is where in the room to stage the fight in order to maximize the likelihood of a fire ring appearing between the graveling spawn location (east side) and the fight.

So to reiterate, I don’t see how someone capable of duo’ing the fight would have additional difficulty killing the boss with other players in the group, even if those players are “bad.” Perhaps there is a mechanic of the fight of which I am unaware.

Why the Selfish Builds?

JMar.3254

You seemed to have missed the point. Unlike the Spider Queen poison pools, the graveling adds in the Howling King fight are spawned regardless of whether the group fights in a melee stack. Consequently, the key to consistently defeating the boss is where in the room to stage the fight in order to maximize the likelihood of a fire ring appearing between the graveling spawn location (east side) and the fight.

So to reiterate, I don’t see how someone capable of duo’ing the fight would have additional difficulty killing the boss with other players in the group, even if those players are “bad.” Perhaps there is a mechanic of the fight of which I am unaware.

YOU seemed to have missed the point. Other people in the party not knowing what to do can affect you, no matter how good you are.

So to reiterate, if 3 people don’t know how to do something and screw up, it’s easier to do it without them.