Will DPS meters get me banned?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Piratoz.8627

Piratoz.8627

I found a working DPS meter addon for GW2. Personally, I think that GW2’s policy of no addons is extremely disappointing.

I will only use this for personal use. There is no way to link information shown in the addon in chat so there is very little risk of creating “player toxicity” in game. (I don’t plan on sharing information from this addon anyways) This is not an exploit and will net me no gains. It does not give me any kind of in game advantage over another player. It is simply a way of seeing information differently in game for PVE only.

My question is will this get me banned?

An image example: http://i.imgur.com/mZ2a8WB.png

Yes, I am aware of the terms of service such as terms 8,15, 17, 19, and 20 in the code of conduct but they are quite vague on consequences.

Edit: Alright, the meter that I posted in the screenshot is not the dps meter that I thought was publicly available on github. The author, frifox informed me of this in this thread. The application in the screenshot is a different program. The guy who made it is looking for a tester but he has not released it to the general public. If you want to or are using these applications, please don’t be BM in chat or use this information to spoil other peoples experiences. Stuff like this is what ruins addons for everybody and is probably why so many people are opposed to helpful addons like these.
Link for those interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z859taGsiPw
Link to the frifox application: https://github.com/frifox/gw2dps

(edited by Piratoz.8627)

Posted by: Bohantopa.5729

Bohantopa.5729

It probably depends on how it gets its data:

First possibility: You have to haven a combat log window open and have to place a video “recording” frame over it. The program than analyzes the recording using character recognition, reproduces the log in text format and than calculates the dps from that data displaying everything in an overlay. This would most likely be allowed as you are allowed to record video and display overlays. Of course such a program would need quite a bit of calculating power.

Second possibility: The program gets its data by reading it out of the memory, calculates the dps and displays as an overlay. This would not be allowed as it is not possible for anet to check what you do in their programs memory.

As your screen also shows the spiderqueens hp and percentage I would say it’s more likely the second possibilty. Or did I miss a setting somewhere that does this?

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

If you were to never tell anybody or show anybody about it then no one would find out and you would as a result not get banned. :P

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

Unless it writes into the process memory, it is not any les forbidden than running guild wars 2 itself Aside, there is no way to detect memory reading. Tons of programs do it all the time, especially anti virus software. I’ve had a quite funny email conversation with arenanet about memory reading being forbidden in the CoC. After five mails with support guys who had no clue what I was talking about, I got redirected to an apparent security lead or something who tried to explain me that there is a difference between OS and antivirus software reading gw2’s process memory and an external program doing it, while in fact there is not since anti virus software is an extrrnal program too. The only reasonable difference is on intentional level. Well, I was not able to get any more answers as my ticket has been closed.

To sum it up: you may get banned for just running guild wars 2, they can’t detect memory reading and their CoC and ToS are full of kitten. Don’t write into the process memory and you’re fine.

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Bohantopa.5729

I did not say they would find out via checking if a program reads the memory, only that a program that does this would not be allowed.

And anet could find out if you have such a program running, if they know about the program and it’s “publically” available:
1. get the program in question themselves
2. run it and scan the program in memory
3. add a memory scanner to gw2 (if one does not exist yet)
4. let gw2 scan the memory for any unallowed program at random intervalls and send a message to anet if one is found.

Posted by: AlliedKhajiit.2794

AlliedKhajiit.2794

4. let gw2 scan the memory for any unallowed program at random intervalls and send a message to anet if one is found.

you realize this form of detection is incredibly unreliable, right? Just because a program isn’t allowed doesn’t mean somebody’s using that program with gw2

Bohantopa.5729

you realize this form of detection is incredibly unreliable, right? Just because a program isn’t allowed doesn’t mean somebody’s using that program with gw2

It depends on the program, if it is a general use memory scanning program sure it could just be a coincidence. False alarms of that kind can be somewhat reduced if you wait for multiple findings on different days for the same account.
If the only use of the program is to read the gw2 memory it would be quite strange to have it running and not using it.

(edited by Bohantopa.5729)

Dub.1273

Which would basically be monitoring the end users pc’s, which to my knowledge is illegal.

Dub | [rT]

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Important detail to consider here as to whether or not it is bannable:

• Does it provide an advantage to you that is not afforded other players without it?

It provides you information, sure, but I would argue that is not an advantage. Seeing that your DPS is, for instance, 8k, doesn’t help you in any way for purposes of playing the game. A person without this add-on is not at a loss, just slightly less informed. In lieu of that, I would argue that this add-on is perfectly allowed. ANet has officially stated before that the separator for allowed versus disallowed is whether it gives the player a distinct advantage over other players or not.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

Doesn’t this also display HP #s above stealthed enemies heads? Getting caught using it in pvp would probably be a bad thing.

Posted by: Embrace The Bold.7619

Embrace The Bold.7619

Can someone send me a link to this add on? I must get this! I am so bad at telling hp% on bosses ;_;.

The Sickest Guild NA

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

Is it even detectable?

Rising Dusk.2408

It is definitely detectable.

Doesn’t this also display HP #s above stealthed enemies heads? Getting caught using it in pvp would probably be a bad thing.

If it does this, then it is definitely bannable in PvP or anywhere.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

So if I install this, anet would know? Just wanting to be sure, as it seems a great add on.

Posted by: Embrace The Bold.7619

Embrace The Bold.7619

So if I install this, anet would know? Just wanting to be sure, as it seems a great add on.

Considering I have a friend who fly hacks and no clips pretty much everyday in gw2, no.

The Sickest Guild NA

Posted by: frifox.5283

frifox.5283

I highly doubt it shows you data or location of stealthed enemies.

Piratoz.8627

Hey frifox! Speaking of addons, has Arenanet said anything or taken any action when you use your dps addon that you posted several months ago on reddit? I assumed that the addon that is posted in the screenshot was yours.

(edited by Piratoz.8627)

Bohantopa.5729

Which would basically be monitoring the end users pc’s, which to my knowledge is illegal.

Well it would not really be monitoring, they dont check what you run as a program, just if you are running X. Also now you run into the same problem anet has, you have to prove that they are reading the memory outside of their own program.

Considering I have a friend who fly hacks and no clips pretty much everyday in gw2, no.

Anet has said that they banned users for using unallowed 3rd party programs. Now who to trust? Both wont show prove. Anet not because this would make it easier for developers of 3rd party addons to circumvent anet. Your friend not because I just might be a spy for anet (not saying I am ).
Also just because they have not caught your friend does not mean that he will not be caught. I’m sure everyone here who has a driving license has at some point been stopped by police driving to fast in an area were he/she was never caught before.

Rising Dusk.2408

If you just install it, no, but if you use it while running the client connecting to their server (thus playing the game), then yes. I’m sure some things are harder to detect than others, and I’m sure that some people get away with it, but if you want to be 100% safe, the second you log in with a bannable add-on, you’re at risk.

I agree. I highly doubt it as well, but if it did… Yeah.

frifox.5283

Hey frifox! Speaking of addons, has Arenanet said anything or taken any action when you use your dps addon that you posted several months ago on reddit? I assumed that the addon that is posted in the screenshot was yours.

Nope, not my app in OP and nope, zero acknowledgement from ANet. It’s understandable though, it’s a gray area and they rather pretend it doesn’t exist than do anything about it. Still using it daily for the good of the mankind.

Dub.1273

Sure arenanet has banned people for using third party programs, but there’s a significant difference between memory reading and memory editing.

Dub | [rT]

Rising Dusk.2408

Agreed, Dub, but it always depends on the level of advantage, if any, that is gained. The mod showcased in the OP honestly looks totally okay since it doesn’t provide anything other than some derived information that you could figure out yourself with some concentrated effort.

I can certainly think of some cases where simply getting certain information from memory could be bannable, but the OP is definitely fine.

Piratoz.8627

Nope, not my app in OP and nope, zero acknowledgement from ANet. It’s understandable though, it’s a gray area and they rather pretend it doesn’t exist than do anything about it. Still using it daily for the good of the mankind.

I guess I will be using your application haha. If people who exploited snowflakes for ectos were able to plead for and get 72 hour bans instead of permabans. I figure this dps meter can’t really hurt as I am not harming other players or altering the game.

(edited by Piratoz.8627)

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Install and use at your own risk. I personally wouldn’t see a problem with using this to gather data for your own personal use to improve your skill and performance, but I’m not ANet. If you absolutely want to be safe, don’t use any 3rd party addons at all.

Dub.1273

Install and use at your own risk. I personally wouldn’t see a problem with using this to gather data for your own personal use to improve your skill and performance, but I’m not ANet. If you absolutely want to be safe, don’t use any 3rd party addons at all.

If you want to be absolutely safe, don’t launch the game at all, since that’s against the ToS.

Dub | [rT]

Posted by: hybrid.5027

hybrid.5027

I guess I will be using your application haha. If people who exploited snowflakes for ectos were able to plead for and get 72 hour bans instead of permabans. I figure this dps meter can’t really hurt as I am not harming other players or altering the game.

All my friends who made snowflakes are still banned.

It wasn’t an exploit.

I know who I am, do you know who you are?

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Is it worth though? You get to see a number and that’s it. You can’t compare it with other people because rarely anyone uses a DPS meter.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

frifox.5283

Is it worth though? You get to see a number and that’s it. You can’t compare it with other people because rarely anyone uses a DPS meter.

It doesn’t show personal but rather party-wide dps.

Meta party – 45k – 100k dps
Decent party – 35k – 45k dps
Decent pug – 25k – 30k dps
PHIW pugs – 10k – 20k dps

In fact, I may argue, party-wide dps is much more important than your personal dps. The goal for the a dungeon run is to get maximum party dps after all, not just min/max your own output.

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

hmm.. to reply is to imply guilt. thus I cant reply.

… crap

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

In fact, I may argue, party-wide dps is much more important than your personal dps. The goal for the a dungeon run is to get maximum party dps after all, not just min/max your own output.

So basically the tool just reads the mob health from the system memory and takes the delta health of them. Eg. at second 0 it had 1m hp and second 1 it had 950k so your party dps would be 50k for that second.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Tree.3916

Tree.3916

So basically the tool just reads the mob health from the system memory and takes the delta health of them. Eg. at second 0 it had 1m hp and second 1 it had 950k so your party dps would be 50k for that second.

I doubt he is doing delta mob health. I would put my money on aggregating damage dealt being the DPS count.

DnT Apply today if you think you can hang with the best of the best
http://www.twitch.tv/tree_dnt || https://twitter.com/Tree_DnT
The meta is changing at an alarming rate!

frifox.5283

Correct. Specifics can be found here, and here (starting line 1050)

(edited by frifox.5283)

Dub.1273

I doubt he is doing delta mob health. I would put my money on aggregating damage dealt being the DPS count.

Lol, I wouldn’t bet my money on that. Because I don’t believe there’s a ‘damage dealt’ variable in gw2’s memory. Therefore it would work on reading the mobs current hp, putting the delta hp into a temporary variable and letting a timer run from the first hit on. Of which the dps is calculated, probably store in another variable for clean code and then displayed. At least thats how I’d do it.

Dub | [rT]

Posted by: Tree.3916

Tree.3916

I stand corrected :P

DnT Apply today if you think you can hang with the best of the best
http://www.twitch.tv/tree_dnt || https://twitter.com/Tree_DnT
The meta is changing at an alarming rate!