Will raids finally destroy gw2

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: ZERONIX.5873

ZERONIX.5873

Let’s look at nearly every mmo out there raiding is what runs off the average player since new players must spend months and months getting geared to try to kill harder bosses to advance in game. Now we are seeing this in gw2 the same reason I left wow was lack of raiding group players you can’t depend on. Gw2 since heart of thorns attitude has changed it’s no longer fun to play with others. As I feared raiding plagues so many mmos with eliteism and then begans cursing in chat player arguments kicks destroyed friendships and so on it’s just a downward spiral. True a lot of these aren’t a nets fault but why antagonize these players to act in such a manner. I’ve always had issues with 10 man raid content since my normal online group of friends is 4-5 players picking up pugs always creates issues. Is this what the average players want in game though. raid content will be unreachable for new players so they will see as I saw in wow these set groups and guilds are created then no new players are accepted into them creating aurmour sand weapons that half the community can never get or have a chance at. getting. Gw2 has made a bed I’m not sure they want to sleep in they would have done far better to create 5 man content more challenging or make ascended aurmours easier to obtain for new players having over 1500 gold is required at this point just to began raiding. I’m all for challenging content but are they going about it the right way. You risk destroying the average player base let’s face it every player wants a chance at a legendary set should it only be able to those elite guilds and no one else. We have seen no new dungeons no new fractals no 2-5 man content at all in heart of thorns 90 percent of the pllayerbase does not have 10 people online to go . The main change has been a friendly mmo turning sour seemingly overnight . I just feel gw2 is taking a very dark turn.

Posted by: Raizen.7981

Raizen.7981

Let’s look at nearly every mmo out there raiding is what runs off the average player since new players must spend months and months getting geared to try to kill harder bosses to advance in game. Now we are seeing this in gw2 the same reason I left wow was lack of raiding group players you can’t depend on. Gw2 since heart of thorns attitude has changed it’s no longer fun to play with others. As I feared raiding plagues so many mmos with eliteism and then begans cursing in chat player arguments kicks destroyed friendships and so on it’s just a downward spiral. True a lot of these aren’t a nets fault but why antagonize these players to act in such a manner. I’ve always had issues with 10 man raid content since my normal online group of friends is 4-5 players picking up pugs always creates issues. Is this what the average players want in game though. raid content will be unreachable for new players so they will see as I saw in wow these set groups and guilds are created then no new players are accepted into them creating aurmour sand weapons that half the community can never get or have a chance at. getting. Gw2 has made a bed I’m not sure they want to sleep in they would have done far better to create 5 man content more challenging or make ascended aurmours easier to obtain for new players having over 1500 gold is required at this point just to began raiding. I’m all for challenging content but are they going about it the right way. You risk destroying the average player base let’s face it every player wants a chance at a legendary set should it only be able to those elite guilds and no one else. We have seen no new dungeons no new fractals no 2-5 man content at all in heart of thorns 90 percent of the pllayerbase does not have 10 people online to go . The main change has been a friendly mmo turning sour seemingly overnight . I just feel gw2 is taking a very dark turn.

Aside the fact that I might need some serious condi cleanse for the bleeding you’ve just inflicted onto my eyes, as any person who read the forums for 20 mins before posting(not you, obviously) knows that you need exotic armor, ascended trinkets(cost nothing) and ascended weapons(200g, not 1500). If you got 4-5 other friends, you can easily start your own raid and require whatever you want to require. No one is forcing you to do anything

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

hopefully they will so i can move on

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

They obviously added raids to entice new players to the game – to expand their total player base. That is a logical and commendable goal. Now, their challenge is to make sure that, in giving that group something to do, they do not forget about the core elements that have made GW2 successful for the past three years (amazing open world, living story, wvw, etc content).

As long as raids do not take one second of development time away from the core elements of the game and are treated as secondary content intended for a small subset of players – then I don’t see an issue. They have a place in the game, but should never be considered the primary mode (or even primary end game mode) of the game.

Posted by: Shylock.4653

Shylock.4653

Let’s look at nearly every mmo out there raiding is what runs off the average player since new players must spend months and months getting geared to try to kill harder bosses to advance in game.

Ascended equipment is not required for raids. It helps a little bit but raids can be done without it.

Exotic equipment is quite cheap at the moment and can even be bought with Karma, Dungeon Tokens and Badges of Honor.

If you want to improve your stats a bit you can buy Ascended trinkets with Laurels, Badges of Honor and Pristine Fractal Relics.

So even for new players there are easy ways to get high level gear.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Now, their challenge is to make sure that, in giving that group something to do, they do not forget about the core elements that have made GW2 successful for the past three years (amazing open world, living story, wvw, etc content).

They quite clearly haven’t forgotten the core elements of their game given the new maps and story we got with HoT, and I seriously doubt they ever will down the road. As for the OP, I seriously expect that raids will be nothing but positive for the game. It’s just new content, so people who really aren’t suited for raids are trying them and worrying about them when they shouldn’t.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: The one to Rule.2593

The one to Rule.2593

I’ve had no difficulty finding groups and beating vale guardian and gorseval with pugs. You don’t need to be in a guild to raid.

Posted by: BassHunteR.7246

BassHunteR.7246

If the legendary armor had better stats then ascended.. in that case i would consider this option..
Since it is same stats with only the extra to be able to change stats.. then.. no… it wont ruin anything..
Just for crying kids who must complete 100% of the content on easymode or /quit.
Oh sorry.. you are one of those it seems…
There is still99% game content out there for those who hates raids…
All you wont have access to is gear with same stats from ascended gear…big deal….

Posted by: KingJD.9687

KingJD.9687

I got good news!
Raids cant destroy the game since that has already been achieved with the removal of dungeons and the unfortunate changes to fractals.

Posted by: typographie.1742

typographie.1742

The main change has been a friendly mmo turning sour seemingly overnight . I just feel gw2 is taking a very dark turn.

Because no one was ever elitist before raids, right? The game is clearly dying from this malignant and totally new phenomenon.

I wish I could be so innocent and unaffected by the world to have such faith in the random MMO player, but I know it’s the same group of players who populated the dungeon LFG who are now trying to pug raids. You were delusional if you thought we could go from rangers and necromancers being kicked on sight from CoF runs to friendly and tolerant raid pugs. These people were demanding you to ping your gear before the content was challenging, you really thought they’d start to lighten up when they’re faced with something this demanding?

It’s ultimately up to you who you play with. I play with my friends and my guild and I’m blissfully unaware of 99% of the toxicity out there.

(edited by typographie.1742)

Posted by: ZERONIX.5873

ZERONIX.5873

Why do people think I’m poor geared 2578 power guardian longbow with a 83 percent critical chance hitting 26ks and 5-6 k for my base attacks in over 60 try’s with teams guess what vale guardians still not dead.

Posted by: Melanion.4892

Melanion.4892

Why do people think I’m poor geared 2578 power guardian longbow with a 83 percent critical chance hitting 26ks and 5-6 k for my base attacks in over 60 try’s with teams guess what vale guardians still not dead.

Then either you or your group are not doing it right.

Are people soaking the green circles? Are people getting ported by the lightning? Are people rotating around the arena properly? Are people cc-ing the boss when he begind to channel? If not, address this. Tell people what they’re screwing up and try to fix it. Until you’re at the point where you’re not getting teleported and your group has 4 people soaking the green circles, you’re not going to win.

Claude – Pink Fairy Mesmer

Posted by: Matisse.9356

Matisse.9356

@OP: If you want people to read your post, format it. Use paragraphs, allow spaces, …

Posted by: IXIDOR.6278

IXIDOR.6278

What if I told you, that the game mechanics (fast movement to green, dodging blues, kiting him right and breaking him fast, CC Heal Dodges and some simple DPS rotation basics, as well as using the masteryshrooms) are much more critical than your kittening gear at the vale guardian? But as always: if you suck at playing, gear makes it easier to compensate your mistakes, cheers!

Autistic Roleplayers [rP] – www.tinyurl.com/VanHammesYT

Posted by: TheFrighteningFrenchFry.3275

TheFrighteningFrenchFry.3275

Yes, raids will DEFINITELY destroy gw2. I just hate it, they make every single player in the game go do raids thus destroying the whole game for everyone. This is just another WoW clone now bleh this used to be a safehaven now anet went back on there word : (

/s

Necro>warrior confirmed ty nemesis for single handedly saving the gw2 community!!

/s

The one to Rule.2593

Yes, raids will DEFINITELY destroy gw2. I just hate it, they make every single player in the game go do raids thus destroying the whole game for everyone. This is just another WoW clone now bleh this used to be a safehaven now anet went back on there word : (

/s

how exactly do they make you do raids? the rewards are entirely cosmetic.

Posted by: RustyMech.9876

RustyMech.9876

Spirit Vale is a once a week for a hour or two thing, not sure how that will destroy the game for me. More or less it is just another event my guild can do together, nothing special.

If you meant destroying the community rather then the game, that is also subjective. Most of the random people that I play with in-game are rational; If anything it’s the bitter-vets that are well bitter.

(edited by RustyMech.9876)

Posted by: XxNoahxX.7813

XxNoahxX.7813

Ppl who can’t find a good group and/or is less skilled to handle the true challenging content starts dumping salt

Posted by: RustyMech.9876

RustyMech.9876

It’s not even that challenging to be frank. The first time that I did it, I felt it was like “baby’s first raid”. I’m not saying that it is not fun, which it is, but it’s no more difficult then what fractals are before you know the mechanics.

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

I remember at release when Dungeons were to hard, that lasted for about a week. It’s only a matter of time (and a short amount of time at that) until the first three Raid bosses are on farm.

No it won’t destroy the game.

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

/s

Was likely being sarcastic.

It is more important than ever that we group with like-minded fellows. The hateful, sheep masses that think know what they are doing will fingerpoint each other to failure. Really avoid all of this by playing with a coordinated effort that shares much of the same philosophy-there ARE many ways to skin this difficult cat, regardless mythical hearsay.

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

You can clear the first boss with Exotics, all Exotics. Once you do so, you unlock the Mastery allowing you to interact with the vendor, which requires 500k XP and 1 Mastery Point invested. Even failing the first boss, over and over, will over time reward you with the Magnetite currency spent at said vendor. You can purchase Ascended items at said vendor, besides boss-specific rewards unlocked for having beaten the first boss (to help alleviate RNG always being against you on, e.g., that Miniature you may want).

In other words, with very little investment, beyond spending time within the raid, you can earn anything you’d need (besides Nourishment, which you can gather materials for easily) to progress further within the same Wing or future ones released. Is that way going to take time? Yes it is, but is that such a bad thing when you can get these things for “free”? You can still spend some time slowly crafting/obtaining various pieces of Ascended when not raiding. Laurels can basically more or less cover you entirely for the jewelry (Back Item aside). That’s already a good step towards maxing your potential.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

Posted by: Animism.6849

Animism.6849

They obviously added raids to entice new players to the game – to expand their total player base. That is a logical and commendable goal. Now, their challenge is to make sure that, in giving that group something to do, they do not forget about the core elements that have made GW2 successful for the past three years (amazing open world, living story, wvw, etc content).

As long as raids do not take one second of development time away from the core elements of the game and are treated as secondary content intended for a small subset of players – then I don’t see an issue. They have a place in the game, but should never be considered the primary mode (or even primary end game mode) of the game.

If your opinion of the open world/living story is that it was amazing, then that is fine. However, the open world did not make GW2 successful, in fact it more than likely had the opposite effect. People complained about it on end, being a waste of resources and a time sink for Anet to try and develop more fruition from the gem store with related items. I’ve ALWAYS wanted Anet to focus on making Campaign stories, it is the forte of Guild Wars, being a fantasy based game.

The expansion finally gave us a small taster of what stories should be like in GW2, I hope we will see bigger and better in the future – or imo in the long run, the game is done for.

FYI – exos are fine for raids… Just know what to do, know what to dodge.

Posted by: Harny.6012

Harny.6012

@OP – I disagree with you.

Also your post it’s quite hard to read, it lacks commas and paragraphs :/

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

This is how we handle it. First time time we went into the raid, VG melted us, and even when we were up we weren’t doing enough DPS to make a dent. It isn’t always about the gear, we’re all ascended up. Sometimes it takes skill and the right build, and more so for those of us not in the upper crust of talent, patience and practice.

So we came to the conclusion that once a week we will give it a go, and hopefully make it a chunk further each time. It will come to how bad do you want it divided by real life responsibilities. The raid is crazy difficult, and I wouldn’t want it any other way.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Posted by: Arenzo.3298

Arenzo.3298

About the Legendary armor, is there allowed to be nothing in this game that is prestigious in any way shape or form? I mean, its not like its a stat increase, its purely aesthetic, MMOs should have at least some content that isn’t aimed at the average players

/s

/s = /sarcasm

Necro>warrior confirmed ty nemesis for single handedly saving the gw2 community!!

/s

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

My guess is that the answer is, “No, raids will not destroy GW2.” Unless you meant GW2 for you, OP?

The one to Rule.2593

/s

/s = /sarcasm

gotcha thanks, I’m unfamiliar with these things haha

Posted by: eldrin.6471

eldrin.6471

Yes raids and the exclusive new legendary armour that is locked behind them that 90% of the paying customers who supported this game since launch wont have access to will be the end for guild wars 2.

(edited by eldrin.6471)

Posted by: Harny.6012

Harny.6012

Yes raids and the exclusive new legendary armour that is locked behind them that 90% of the paying customers who supported this game since launch wont have access to will be the end for guild wars 2.

You are one of those simple ones who can never see the bigger picture and just goes with the crowd?

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

I am not sure, OP.

I doubt raids will destroy GW2, but it will change it for sure in a new direction I personally dislike. The frirst guild made the entire raid in 11:20 hours a day over the span of 3 days. Tell me what you like, that is not casual. A timespan like this over an extended period of time is a very good reason to get frired, divorced or socially awkward.

I am a little bit happy about the chance to get legendary armor the really hard way by failing the boss and then call it a day. This is indeed important for people like me who are both unwilling and unable to spend their whole gaming time in a raid. It´s something I would normally not give a flying kitten about, but legendary armor is not just a convenience item. it means that you can take on chances most of the time you can´t take if you don´t have a closet of a multitude of other armor sets. Then there is also the nagging feeling that you are a second class citizen if you are not willing or able to do raids. Does anyone really think that people pay for the privilege to be second class, barely tolerated citizen with their own ghettos(read up the description of the word ghetto in the dictionary if you think this has something to do with right wing nationalism only) and camps(core Tyria)?

Hot catered to groups of people I loathe and/or have sympathetic mercy with, hardcore raiders and jumpers. I don´t regret buying HoT either, it would have nagged to much at me not to do it because I wanted to see where it heads and how it looks, but from my perspective it is around 70% grind and jumping garbage with 30% novel and enjoyable ideas.

I really, really hope that Anet takes a nosedive with this strategy and gets more casual friendly again.

Posted by: Zach.2618

Zach.2618

Casual does not equate to bad and being bad does not mean you are casual, that’s what a lot of people are having trouble understanding. Trust me you can play 1 hour a day on only someday and still be able to beat the raids. It only takes less than 10 mins for each boss which gives you like 6 attempts in a casual hour that you play. If you are complaining that you can’t beat it because raids cause you to wipe over and over again spending 10 hours in it than maybe you just need to rethink your strategy. Let’s say you play 1 hour on Friday use that 1 hour to find a good group of people who you think can clear raids, than spend the 1 hour you play on Saturday to beat it. Raids are supposed to be hard, it is definitely not time consuming because the mechanics even require you to beat it under a set amount of mins. If it’s time consuming to you than maybe you are not as good as you thought or your group is not than you should find ways to improve. You can be casual with your game time and still clear raids.

At the end of the day if you spend 10 hours in a raid wiping over and over again with no victory in sight than you are pretty stubborn. If you run into a brick wall a hundred times it won’t give way, learn to go around it. The 1st few groups spent hours because they were the first to experiment with it learning the mechanics and whatnot, now that the mechanics are all well known all you need is some good players, decent gear, and know the mechanics.

(edited by Zach.2618)

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

That may very well be the truth, Zach.

But tell me: Would you like, and I mean really like, not only tolerate or grudgingly do, something in a game that is a chore for you, even if it is just a netto time of 10 minutes per attempt? It is not even important if I succeed or not as I have the patience to pick up scraps to build the armor in general while other people celebrate their elitist victories. Going to raid is a grinding experience for me, and I personally loathe doing so and already begin to catch myself looking for reasons to avoid it.

And to tell you the truth, HoT made me weary of GW2. I loved the game before HoT started. But now i find myself dragging through 3 layered jumping maps in an attempt to finish the personal story, level this or that, uncover horridly gated and covered hero- and mastery points and the chance to attack the boss of a mechanic I never asked for to get something I find desireable. Fractals got kind of an update, although it´s just the same with a new level of dificulty, and WvW is dead while PvP and raids reign supreme.

So forgive me if I hope that the pendulum swings back in my direction one day. i love GW2, and would hate to let it go.

Posted by: Khandarus.2738

Khandarus.2738

Now, their challenge is to make sure that, in giving that group something to do, they do not forget about the core elements that have made GW2 successful for the past three years (amazing open world, living story, wvw, etc content).

They quite clearly haven’t forgotten the core elements of their game given the new maps and story we got with HoT, and I seriously doubt they ever will down the road. As for the OP, I seriously expect that raids will be nothing but positive for the game. It’s just new content, so people who really aren’t suited for raids are trying them and worrying about them when they shouldn’t.

Dungeons.

Posted by: Fines Juliverine.5846

Fines Juliverine.5846

They destroyed a big part of the core game by removing dungeon rewards…

It would be a really holy trinity if they hadn’t removed them…

Dungeons, Fractals, Raids

Trinity in 2 scenarios:
1st.: Dungeons, not that hard group content for 5 people… or if you are experienced you can do them with 3 2 or solo if you want… why not

2dn.: Fractals… a bit harder group content but at the moment with an absolutely broken system … Go up to lvl 100 with a lot of new COOL instabilities and reintroduce the random component ( perhaps bring all the step6 1 fractals like the underwater one to step 2 so you can enjoy every fractal )

3rd.: Raids… More challenging group content for 10 players or 9 if you are really good. You have to organize this once per week and for all the other days you can do fractals and dungeons…

So every single instanced loving pve player would love anet for such a decision… but well…

You know their real intention for nerfing liquid rewards if you have a look into the gemshop… Change your gems to gold… oh wow… now we are going to pay to win for new players that have no great gear because the costs of ascended stuff are immense atm

[Hs]

Posted by: LordOtto.2650

LordOtto.2650

I will stay 1 more week to find some good group/groups for Raids, that plays every day( I have one group, made by my guild, but for me it isn’t enough..) or I will buy another game that I personally like, and play that!
I only like RAID and WvW. WvW is getting empty, RAID is to hard for lots of people, or don’t understand that it needs lots of dps ( lots of people bring 1600-1900 toughness builds into Raid , and try to explain that to them…)
In LFG system when I find 3-4 player for group, we wait 5-10 min, when I find again 3 players, then suddenly 3 player disappears from the group/squad ( they could have found a full group and went Raiding ).
WvW is badly designed in this expansion…
Looking for groups/players to do Raid is more challenging then the bosses them self.
So one more week, or I’m gone, I will play only seasons, or come back when finally there is a good change.. because I can’t tolerate anymore this mentality of a nets.
Or maybe I will be lucky, buy a good game that I will not leave, and never come back.

Posted by: Alejandro.3285

Alejandro.3285

Raids will destroy GW2, because raid people now only want a certain (very select few) of classes in the raid.

This is against the variety of options that GW2 stood for when it was first released. People could go different builds and still enjoy the same content.

Now everyone justs want THAT build for raid, which will breed elitism in guilds.

The diversity that once makes GW2 different from other MMOS is gone.

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

It’s not even that challenging to be frank. The first time that I did it, I felt it was like “baby’s first raid”. I’m not saying that it is not fun, which it is, but it’s no more difficult then what fractals are before you know the mechanics.

Difficulty is measured by a percentage of the player base that can/has completed it. Honestly with how few people I hear that have beaten it, or are even continuing to try, it makes me wonder how much further they can go with it. Why develop something for that small of a population, it seems to not make much sense from a business standpoint; why put resources into something for only a small group of your customers.

I’m not saying it should be changed, or they should stop, I just think based on current metrics, it’s a poor investment :p

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Difficulty is measured by a percentage of the player base that can/has completed it. Honestly with how few people I hear that have beaten it, or are even continuing to try, it makes me wonder how much further they can go with it. Why develop something for that small of a population, it seems to not make much sense from a business standpoint; why put resources into something for only a small group of your customers.

I’m not saying it should be changed, or they should stop, I just think based on current metrics, it’s a poor investment :p

What you say is true. However, Anet said they expected only a small percentage of players to ever complete the raid. That would be fine if there were enough other content to keep everyone else satiated, but there isn’t.

Posted by: HakunaMataBaby.2734

HakunaMataBaby.2734

So your saying new content that is hard, and OPTIONAL is going to ruin the game? That’s like saying adding more legendaries will ruin the game because you need lots of gold to make them. You don’t have to raid, no one said you had to, it’s for players who want to dedicate themselves to something complicated but rewarding. It’s absolutely silly to say this will ruin the game, I’m not gonna bother talking about this because it will just be a wall of text

Posted by: Sykper.6583

Sykper.6583

Man, when they release an alternate source to get Legendary Armor (as a function) that isn’t in a Raid, pretty sure all these complaints will stop.

Yep, can’t come soon enough…

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

Posted by: Wahaha.7938

Wahaha.7938

Raids will destroy GW2, because raid people now only want a certain (very select few) of classes in the raid.

That’s not true at all.

Posted by: Galandil.9641

Galandil.9641

That’s not true at all.

What’s not true? The fact that people now just go in raids picking few classes/builds just because pseudo-meta? Even if there’re better alternatives?

That’s not true at all.

What’s not true? The fact that people now just go in raids picking few classes/builds just because pseudo-meta? Even if there’re better alternatives?

Fractals and dungeons had a “meta”, and yet the game isn’t destroyed.

/s

Posted by: brunobyof.3541

brunobyof.3541

Fractal and dungeons are much easier than raids. Theres no need for specific comp or builds for dungeons

Posted by: Galandil.9641

Galandil.9641

The difference between meta and non-meta was/is clearing speed, aided by the almighty stacking.

The difference between meta and non-meta was/is clearing speed, aided by the almighty stacking.

Almighty stacking? Is this you nemesis? Hello? You get a second account? Lol. There will ALWAYS be a meta. The “meta” is basically just a guideline on what’s efficient for certain content. The other guys solution to this, er, problem ( at least it seems according to him ) was to just not have raids it seemed. The only way for a meta not to exist for a certain game is for the game to not exist. The best you can do is try to give as many classes as possible useful stuff for different content, but class balance isn’t easy when the people at anet balance PvP and PvE together. So the problem isn’t raids at all.

/s

Posted by: eldrin.6471

eldrin.6471

The people buying large amounts of gems are not and never will be the same people that can do raids.and by marginalizing the people who are the life blood of this game anet have committed economic suicide.

Posted by: Ropechef.6192

Ropechef.6192

The people buying large amounts of gems are not and never will be the same people that can do raids.and by marginalizing the people who are the life blood of this game anet have committed economic suicide.

I buy lots of gems,

I raid…

I also WvW and PvP,

your point?