Will the new update stop skipping?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

No after reducing the tokens for shorter parts. 60 tokens for a 10-20min path is way too much.

Long pathes like arah path 4 should get 60-100 tokens, short pathes like flame citadel path 1 should give 10-20 tokens.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

(edited by Malediktus.9250)

Posted by: MastaNeenja.1537

MastaNeenja.1537

No I think the tokens should not get scaled down at all, you did the work and killed the bosses required to get to the end of the dungeon. In other words you ran it; token rewards shouldn’t be altered for for how you complete the dungeon. I think you should be eligible to get more monetary rewards or have a higher chance to get some rare loot for taking the time to kill more (or all) mobs. Speeding through the dungeon should net you the same amount of tokens regardless.

Posted by: Salvo.8290

Salvo.8290

The problem is the risk and reward of killing trash mobs with large HP as Mr. Hrouda stated earlier. Easy fix-increase the chance of getting better items (higher tier and/or a small magic find percent) from boss drops depending on the number of enemies killed in the dungeon instance. This gives incentive to “take out the trash” along the way. Obviously there would have to be ways that would limit this for parts that infinitely spawn enemies, but I think that this would have players reevaluate skipping and reduce exploiting a bit also. Heck, you might even have a bonus for killing all dungeon enemies giving you a small chance for an exceptional item. Players would then be able to decide whether they want a speed run for tokens or a chances to get better loot.

Posted by: kKagari.6804

kKagari.6804

Well here’s something relevant from GW1:

Blessing. You earn 6 Lightbringer points for each servant of Menzies you slay. When you slay a servant of Menzies boss, you gain 6 additional Lightbringer points (maximum 150) for each servant of Menzies slain while under the effects of this bounty.

“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2” – C. Johanson
“it doesn’t make you spend hours preparing to have fun, rather than having fun”
Guild missions say otherwise.

Posted by: Nagorn.2307

Nagorn.2307

Maybe they can set a small chance to get nice skins or keys from silver mobs like in Urgoz at GW1 you have a small chance to get zodiacs weapons. I think we already have that chance but it’s so little, i run 6-8 paths of differents dungeons every day and get 1 exotic if lucky and usually with white skins.

Posted by: ilovemagdab.9724

ilovemagdab.9724

Back when Arah Dungeon you can skip the mobs and jump through the rock to get to the boss faster my friend got kicked out of the party just because she couldn’t jump over the rock to go kill boss faster that’s just a really sad excuse to kick a player out. Skipping is starting to get over rated and those people who rage at you because you refuse to do it especially in FOTM they will rage at you if you don’t get in the glitch spot to avoid boss attacks or run pass through all the mobs to get to jade maw sad part is if you die running there the mobs still be there to kill you and you can’t rally back and the whole team either just end up wiping or just going on with out you.

Posted by: Turial.1293

Turial.1293

Back when Arah Dungeon you can skip the mobs and jump through the rock to get to the boss faster my friend got kicked out of the party just because she couldn’t jump over the rock to go kill boss faster that’s just a really sad excuse to kick a player out. Skipping is starting to get over rated and those people who rage at you because you refuse to do it especially in FOTM they will rage at you if you don’t get in the glitch spot to avoid boss attacks or run pass through all the mobs to get to jade maw sad part is if you die running there the mobs still be there to kill you and you can’t rally back and the whole team either just end up wiping or just going on with out you.

And this is what is wrong with the game; the exploits are not getting fixed so players expect everyone to be able to speed their way through first time and mobs are not friendly to a player who gets left behind (they bunch up because they are trash mobs with no loot and were skipped the whole way along)

“Some of my best friends are heterosexual”

Posted by: The Only EAK.9456

The Only EAK.9456

I like the Lightbringer idea. The more mobs you slay per path the more loot you get at the end with bonuses for bosses/vets/champs. A perfect path clear nets a bonus. This is tallied and the end chest adjusts your tokens at that time. The boss chests on the way have a chance for good [Green or better] loot/money but no tokens.

Now you want to wipe an entire dungeon path for the maximum points. You’ll still have those who want loot speed clears but they’re not getting half of what they could if they invested time and energy on a full clear. This also makes the devs unable to use the “boss/zone/portal/machine spawns infinite adds just to make this area hard” way out as we the player will just kite that area for more loot at the end.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

If they want to stop skipping, there’s a fairly easy way to do it that most games already do. Require you to kill things. Make it like an event. If there are ten trash mobs between boss A and boss B, then throw an indestructible door in front of boss B and add an event so that you have to “kill ten trash mobs” before that door will open. Or maybe like 8, just to reduce the chance that a bug would make opening the door impossible.

If they really wanted to minimize the chances of an error breaking the event, they could put a back-up timer in it, like say ten minutes. That way, if you wanted to avoid the mobs entirely (or more importantly if they break somehow so that you can’t kill the required amount), then you can just chill out at the door for ten minutes, but if your goal is to make the best use of your time, then killing the mobs would be the fastest way in.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

Somebody in another thread put this very well. It doesn’t seem like a good idea to force these people to do something they don’t want to do. I’m glad they’re trying motivation first, forcing people seems like it should be a last resort.

Besides, there’s additional benefits to the motivation approach.
Given the infinite creativity of millions of people, they could exhaust themselves constantly playing whack-a-mole with terrain glitches. If they forced folks to fight trash mobs, they’d still have to deal with that. If they made folks feel like they wanted to fight trash mobs, people would have less incentive to glitch terrain in the first place.

(edited by Vox Hollow.2736)

Posted by: Graedahl.8972

Graedahl.8972

I think you should just bring up a completion screen at the end of the dungeon. People get addicted to success. Have 100% completion equate a chance at a rare pet/mob/weapon etc showing up.

* * * * * * SILVER * * * * * *
——50/120_ enemies—
——04/04 _ bosses——
——06/06 _ chests——
——03/03 _ secrets——
* * ______________ * *
—-85.42%Complete—-
* * ______________ * *
* * * * * * SILVER * * * * * *

Posted by: Peach Pinky.6501

Peach Pinky.6501

It’s one of those human things to do something with the path of least resistance and danger, especially when there is a reward at the end. I could make enemies never drop their aggro on players and force them to fight every single mob, but I don’t see that as a viable solution right now.
I think the better solution is to look at why people are skipping things, and approach from a different angle. Trash mobs have too much HP, and can’t be counted on for lucrative drops from a Risk/Time vs Reward, so people interested in making money (most groups) aren’t incentivized to do it, whereas the end chest/boss are more guaranteed and accountable returns on time and risk. I also think there is something to be said about interesting trash mob mechanics making them more enjoyable of a fight.
I can’t make the rewards from trash mobs so lucrative though that people just farm the first couple trash mobs/boss in a dungeon and then rinse/repeat. We encountered this when people just farmed the first boss in an instance and then restarted it (earlier around launch time), and we had to adjust the content as a result. It’s a fine line you have to walk to encourage players to get to the end, but make the process of getting there rewarding enough as well.

I don’t imagine this next update will resolve all the skipping behavior. The path of least resistance is engrained in people, and even if I do everything I could to incentivize people, there will still be those who skip stuff. I have been fixing exploits that will require players to complete more of the events in dungeons, but I am sure people will still skip what they can to get to their end goal.

For now I would encourage those not looking to skip to find some folks who don’t like skipping and make a guild with them… or maybe look for guilds that are dedicated to not skipping, and tag along with them. I’m in a couple of them (anonymously), and it really is an effective solution to playing the game the way you want to play it: Find other people with similar interests and band together with them.

People skip mobs because loot tables are garbage, why spend the time to kill a group of mobs when all they drop are porous bones or blobs of goo? I do AC a lot, and I mean a lot, champion/elite mobs aren’t worth killing because 9 times out of 10 they drop merch food items, once you can’t use at all, no blues, no greens, not even a yellow. I fought Kholer this morning, know what he gave me? No bag of wondrous goods, and a glob of goo. His chest gave me 1 tonic, 1 low level back piece that doesn’t even upgrade when I throw 4 of them into the forge, and a ring I can’t salvage or merch. I understand its luck of the draw, but the deck is a little wonky.

Posted by: iwan.8327

iwan.8327

Here’s an idea. If you make that players receive all rewards only after they finish the dungeon then you can put better rewards for trash mobs. That way players wouldn’t be able to only kill first few mobs and rinse and repeat.

There could also be some rewards for completing all quests in a dungeon.

Posted by: Flameseeker.1563

Flameseeker.1563

While messing with the loot tables could make people actually kill things, many would have one of two problems:
1)not having the amount of time to play the dungeon and a bit of the rest of the game. Not everyone has enough time to spare 2h to just clear 1 path of arah
2)people get bored easily. even with increased rewards unless you risk the killing initial mobs and reset dungeons the rewards won’t make for the boring fight of killing a overly hp buffed silver mob

I’m writing those two just because of personal experience.
On launch after a week i had about equivalent of 4 days of gameplay. Now with work if i get time for a daily fractal run and clear the daily achieves i consider myself lucky.
Regarding killing silver mobs it’s insane the amount they take to get downed. Some aren’t that hard and you can just stand still attacking and watching the time fly by.

Obviously making rewards only at the end is a dumb idea. A noob group get to lupi and can’t make it further, leavers make the group split, (insert any other reason that makes you unable to clear the dungeon here) and you’re left with no reward and wasted time.

Regarding rewards/time ratio between paths.
The problem isn’t that some paths should have more/less reward depending on it’s difficulty. What it should have been from the start is that the paths should take about the same time to clear and they’re not well balanced causing such disparities. The paths it-selves need a fix not the rewards.

Posted by: Nagorn.2307

Nagorn.2307

While messing with the loot tables could make people actually kill things, many would have one of two problems:
1)not having the amount of time to play the dungeon and a bit of the rest of the game. Not everyone has enough time to spare 2h to just clear 1 path of arah
2)people get bored easily. even with increased rewards unless you risk the killing initial mobs and reset dungeons the rewards won’t make for the boring fight of killing a overly hp buffed silver mob

I’m writing those two just because of personal experience.
On launch after a week i had about equivalent of 4 days of gameplay. Now with work if i get time for a daily fractal run and clear the daily achieves i consider myself lucky.
Regarding killing silver mobs it’s insane the amount they take to get downed. Some aren’t that hard and you can just stand still attacking and watching the time fly by.

Obviously making rewards only at the end is a dumb idea. A noob group get to lupi and can’t make it further, leavers make the group split, (insert any other reason that makes you unable to clear the dungeon here) and you’re left with no reward and wasted time.

Regarding rewards/time ratio between paths.
The problem isn’t that some paths should have more/less reward depending on it’s difficulty. What it should have been from the start is that the paths should take about the same time to clear and they’re not well balanced causing such disparities. The paths it-selves need a fix not the rewards.

I agree with the time issue but you have the other dungeons to farm, if you want to do arah just need some planning to get the 2h of free time. It’s not a problem of design it’s a personal problem like many of us have.

I disagree with the reward system you suggest, a noob group shouldn’t be able to finish the dungeon, if you change that…where is the challenge? And the exclusiveness of that set? Hard parts of any game are for skilled/experienced players.

Setting mid dungeons rewards is pointless too, not finishing the dungeon = no reward, why you deserve rewards for not finishing it? For the time spent? If people can’t do a path just don’t do it or think about how to complete it.

Unbalanced paths, i don’t see the problem here, different paths should be different ^^, that doesn’t mean you must be rewarded better for acomplish the hardest one, Dungeon Master tittle is enough reward, at least for me.

Missed the topic xD. Killing bosses and champions has a reward, aren’t items but are a good amount of silver so kill them all and get rich!

(edited by Nagorn.2307)

Posted by: Gab Superstar.4059

Gab Superstar.4059

I’ll never understand why people will literally spend 5 minutes running around to skip a pack of mobs that takes 30 seconds to kill. I’d wager I’ve spent 4 times as long in my MMO career recovering from a skip-gone-wrong than I have just killing the mobs.

Plus, I play to play, not to skip as much as I can to chase the carrot.

That’s really cool to hear mate. But you are not contributing anything to this discussion.

Your anecdotal evidence and your personal preferences when it comes to dungeons aren’t exactly going to dictate the design direction for dungeons in GW2, and thank <> for that.

Very Good Detectives [VGD]
Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

Posted by: DanH.5879

DanH.5879

here is an ideea:
you kill mobs at dungeon, they drop no loot
after you finish the dungeon (get the final tokens), you get their drops + a bit more higher chances for rares/exotics than standard and a increasing bonus in money, lets say +20% for 100% mob kill, +10% if 75-99% and 0 bonus money and normal chances for drops for total mob kill <75%
seems ok in theory, except the part where you get kicked or party fails = 0 drops, but so far drops are crappy anyway from the mobs…
the point is to separate the gap, less mobs killed = less rewards in value, all mobs=as the boss chest

(edited by DanH.5879)

Posted by: Azjenco.9425

Azjenco.9425

Just increase an counter for every boss in the dungeon (and large enemy groups) and calculate the final reward based on what the players actually killed. In case of respawning groups, make them count once a certain number of waves has been killed.

So if the group want the bonus for a certain area, they have to kill all the enemies inside, skipping them will just cut their profits. They may still run straight for the endboss and may even skip bosses in between (either by exploit or because it is optional), but rewards will be lower.

This is such a good idea!

In fact, I still think the dungeons should have optional parts, but with a change like this, one would rather want to chose the options than leave them behind. The reason I say so is because sometime people want to do a quick run, before going to work, or to squeeze it in during a lunch break, or when you only have a limited window.

That said, I feel dungeon paths need to have short and longer paths, all with optional parts. So players will know before hand what they’re getting themselves into and know what to expect so they can plan accordingly. That way people can’t say, “need to get to work halfway through a run”.

Say, when the menu for each path pops up, each choice will have short (15-30 minutes), moderate (20-40 minutes), and long (30-60 minutes). This will allow players to maximize their gains according to the time available to them.

Posted by: Flameseeker.1563

Flameseeker.1563

No loot and reward only at the end is again a dumb idea no matter how you make it sound.

Loot is not only the way to get rich but also an addictive factor to keep you playing. A mob dies and leaves something behind and you’ll immediately want to check what it was. You either get a good or bad item but you will kill the next one hoping it drops something again. (was in an article somewhere mentioning why diablo 3 loot system sucks so much)

At the moment loot tables are crappy but sometimes you do get lucky. Remove the fact that you can see what you get during a run and most people won’t really care to kill the kittenhings. Killing mobs and get nothing will be worse than crappy loot tables.

And about the kill counts have you guys even thought about the problems of coding?
→you dc and it might reset
→you kill spawns and it could towards the counter
→you join midway and you’ll never get good loot
→90-100% kill? just tell me how many groups will find that fun hunting for the last mobs that you missed or didn’t trigger

Also, midway chests are just like a save point in a dungeon. You got to a specific point, killed a boss and got nothing for it. How would you feel after that?
And by the same perspective if we took that for fractals should we only get a chest on the 3rd/4th map since it’s the end of the run? People would really like to see how their effort to complete a chain of events being rewarded with nothing.

It’s basic human conditioning:
To keep people playing you have to throw them a bone once in a while. The bone doesn’t need to be that good, but just enough to keep you coming for more.

Posted by: Azjenco.9425

Azjenco.9425

At the moment loot tables are crappy but sometimes you do get lucky. Remove the fact that you can see what you get during a run and most people won’t really care to kill the kittenhings. Killing mobs and get nothing will be worse than crappy loot tables.

And about the kill counts have you guys even thought about the problems of coding?
->you dc and it might reset
->you kill spawns and it could towards the counter
->you join midway and you’ll never get good loot
->90-100% kill? just tell me how many groups will find that fun hunting for the last mobs that you missed or didn’t trigger

Also, midway chests are just like a save point in a dungeon. You got to a specific point, killed a boss and got nothing for it. How would you feel after that?

To keep people playing you have to throw them a bone once in a while. The bone doesn’t need to be that good, but just enough to keep you coming for more.

What I have in mind is far from limiting loot up until the end. I was thinking more along the lines of accumulating rewards.

Let’s say you kill a boss, then it will still have normal drops. When you kill the second boss, its drops will have an added bonus, which will increase with the third boss, and so on. Basically, each boss you kill ups the next’s loot table depending upon the amount of kills before hand. This kill count will be worked into the boss, so whether you disconnect doesn’t affect you.

As for killing mobs, this can once again factor into the dungeon completion reward. Every normal mob you kill has its own rewards worked in, but the more you kill, the better the rewards at the end will be. For example, killing 75%+ mobs will reward 10% more silver, karma and 2 extra tokens, killing 90%+ will reward 20% silver, karma and 4 tokens, while 100% kills will reward 35% silver, karma and 7 tokens.

The idea is that you still have incentives to do the dungeon however you like, but to also have an added bonus if players choose to do dedicated runs.

Posted by: Jaqalope.6175

Jaqalope.6175

I pug.
A lot.
I skip.
A lot.
I sincerely hope this patch doesn’t stop skipping, since farming dungeons is how I make most of my money.
As for the Mez on the rocks: more often than not I don’t have one in the group, and it’s not an issue.

First time I ran an exp was AC; running past all the leaping gravelings was rough, until I figured it out.
Moreover, certain mobs and/or bosses simply aren’t worth it.
However, I will agree some shortcuts/glitches aren’t worth it and end up taking longer than doing things the legit way.

tldr: skipping isn’t that hard, and it’s necessary.

Jaqalope
Charr Legionaire
Dragonbrand

(edited by Jaqalope.6175)

Vox Hollow.2736

I think the general idea is they’re trying to make fighting mobs have a worthwhile return for the risk/time spent doing so.

So, if you’re running specifically for the sake of money, you should still be doing just dandy no matter if they ultimately succeed in controlling the skipping or not. Worst case scenario, you’d just be making money spending more time in one dungeon, instead of blitzing through multiple dungeons.

Posted by: Ashrahm.7198

Ashrahm.7198

I think a way to get people to kill those mobs is maybe add a quest X amount killed = some reward this I believe may take less work to put into place an not mess with things such as loot tables. This could be treated as a daily and avoid people from leaving the instance to repeat if the quest resets upon entrance. Making it a daily per path or just once would stop from being abused.

Posted by: Account.9832

Account.9832

I just feel thats a terrible waste of a dungeon is all. Like TA for instance, 90% of that dungeon is skipped,

If the fights were fun, people wouldn’t skip them.

Forcing people to grind boring content (uninteresting mobs with far too much HP) is not going to make them enjoy the game more; in fact, it’s going to make them enjoy the game less.

GW2’s dungeons suffer from a fundamental design problem, which is that even unnamed mobs are far stronger than players can ever be (frequently with 10x more HP). This just makes player feel like wimps. I’m a level 80 player with fancy weapons and runes, I defeated Zhaitan and saved the world, and yet it takes me (and my 4 companions) 20 seconds of bashing to kill a couple of lowly bandits? What kind of sense does that make?

Only bosses should feel more powerful than players. Other mobs should either be trash (simply to make the dungeon more fun) or their difficulty should come from a numeric or strategic advantage (i.e., 5 players vs. 20 guards, or 5 players vs. 3 enemies with catapults). One-on-one, “normal” mobs (i.e., humanoids with armor and weapons comparable to players’) should never feel more powerful than players.

That’s why people skip them, because the fights are boring and fundamentally “unfair” and unrealistic (when a dog can take more damage than a player in full plate armor, something is wrong).

Fix the fun, fix the realism, and the skipping will fix itself.

P.S. – And, to be honest, in TA (and CM), even the bosses are incredibly boring. The only fun bit is precisely running / dodging your way past mobs.

- Al Zheimer

(edited by Account.9832)

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

It’s one of those human things to do something with the path of least resistance and danger, especially when there is a reward at the end. I could make enemies never drop their aggro on players and force them to fight every single mob, but I don’t see that as a viable solution right now.
I think the better solution is to look at why people are skipping things, and approach from a different angle. Trash mobs have too much HP, and can’t be counted on for lucrative drops from a Risk/Time vs Reward, so people interested in making money (most groups) aren’t incentivized to do it, whereas the end chest/boss are more guaranteed and accountable returns on time and risk. I also think there is something to be said about interesting trash mob mechanics making them more enjoyable of a fight.
I can’t make the rewards from trash mobs so lucrative though that people just farm the first couple trash mobs/boss in a dungeon and then rinse/repeat. We encountered this when people just farmed the first boss in an instance and then restarted it (earlier around launch time), and we had to adjust the content as a result. It’s a fine line you have to walk to encourage players to get to the end, but make the process of getting there rewarding enough as well.

I don’t imagine this next update will resolve all the skipping behavior. The path of least resistance is engrained in people, and even if I do everything I could to incentivize people, there will still be those who skip stuff. I have been fixing exploits that will require players to complete more of the events in dungeons, but I am sure people will still skip what they can to get to their end goal.

For now I would encourage those not looking to skip to find some folks who don’t like skipping and make a guild with them… or maybe look for guilds that are dedicated to not skipping, and tag along with them. I’m in a couple of them (anonymously), and it really is an effective solution to playing the game the way you want to play it: Find other people with similar interests and band together with them.

People skip mobs because loot tables are garbage, why spend the time to kill a group of mobs when all they drop are porous bones or blobs of goo? I do AC a lot, and I mean a lot, champion/elite mobs aren’t worth killing because 9 times out of 10 they drop merch food items, once you can’t use at all, no blues, no greens, not even a yellow. I fought Kholer this morning, know what he gave me? No bag of wondrous goods, and a glob of goo. His chest gave me 1 tonic, 1 low level back piece that doesn’t even upgrade when I throw 4 of them into the forge, and a ring I can’t salvage or merch. I understand its luck of the draw, but the deck is a little wonky.

If you read his post he said that he can’t make loot too good. People will just farm the first batch of mobs over and over again which is also against the design of dungeons.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: Erebus.7568

Erebus.7568

i just hope it stops all this skipping and exploiting since its getting directly stupid -.-
would be easily countered by 2 things

1: mobs NEVER! resets, once you got agro its there till you die or mob dies.
2: exploiters are punished with BANS!…

would completely fix the entire issue.

but doubt anet got the brain to figure out why all this exploiting and skipping is completely killing their game..

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

i just hope it stops all this skipping and exploiting since its getting directly stupid -.-

but doubt anet got the brain to figure out why all this exploiting and skipping is completely killing their game..

1. Stealth says hi.
2. That would just devastate gw2 population. Almost every group exploits in some way or another (glitching boss equals to exploit).

Malediktus.9250

1. Stealth says hi.
2. That would just devastate gw2 population. Almost every group exploits in some way or another (glitching boss equals to exploit).

1 could be easily fixed by making mobs inside dungeons immune to stealth

Posted by: Sarcasmic.6741

Sarcasmic.6741

Why have stealth if you have to patch things to ignore it completely. Bad idea is bad.

Stace (Lv 80 human quickness portal bot) | Sarcasmic (Lv 80 elixir-drunk norn pyro)
Saladtha (Lv 80 salad sidekick to bears) | Dunelle (Lv 80 eviscerating muppet)
Karmell (Lv 80 human might dispenser) | Vast says hi~.

Posted by: defrule.7236

defrule.7236

I would try scaling the end tokens to the number of mobs and optional objectives done.

Speed runners can get their 60 tokens with bare minimum. The more mobs you clear the higher the token count until you get a maximum of 100 for a full cleared dungeon.

haviz.1340

Yes, let’s destroy one proffesion’s mechanics. Maybe swapping attunements or virtues shouldn’t work as well in dungeons?

Posted by: Strifey.7215

Strifey.7215

1. Stealth says hi.

Dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.

Let’s make a bunch of skill useless in PvE because some people are mad at groups being efficient, sounds smart bro.

Guard/War/Mesmer and Dungeon Guides:
https://www.youtube.com/user/strife025

(edited by Strifey.7215)

Posted by: KratosAngel.7289

KratosAngel.7289

Lol, no thanks, not this dumb WoW system which brings lots of bugs, thanks Anet for not bringing garbage ideas into the game
Though I don’t really like skipping, this solution is the dumbest possible.

haviz.1340

Well, I’ve just bumped into a party that was kicking people for not having order of whispers spy kits. I’m up for disabling both spy kits in dungeons. Either skip with your brain active or take a thief if you lack basic capabilites.

Posted by: Jaqalope.6175

Jaqalope.6175

Wow, this thread is full of brilliance.

In short: killing all the mobs is tedious and unrewarding (in every sense of the word).
The idea of forcing everyone to play a certain way just because you don’t like something is….

Keep in mind that a lot of people run dungeons as a money making operation; i.e. farming.
So while clearing the entire dungeon once might be enjoyable…if you’re running it numerous times, it gets old fast.
No one is forcing you to play a certain way, although you seem keen on doing just that.
Group with people who share your sentiments. Not that hard.

Jaqalope
Charr Legionaire
Dragonbrand

Posted by: Yaki.9563

Yaki.9563

. I could make enemies never drop their aggro on players and force them to fight every single mob, but I don’t see that as a viable solution right now.

Why isn’t this a viable solution? You should force players to fight the trash mobs that are in the way because it’s content that you designed for the players to fight. If you don’t want players to fight trash, don’t put trash in the dungeon.

Yaki.9563

Lol, no thanks, not this dumb WoW system which brings lots of bugs, thanks Anet for not bringing garbage ideas into the game
Though I don’t really like skipping, this solution is the dumbest possible.

It’s dumb for Anet to make players complete the dungeon as intended? Wow.

Malediktus.9250

Its not a problem of trash being to unrewarding, its a problem of bosses being too rewarding for often being less challanging than trash groups. So bosses should be made harder or loot nerfed.

haviz.1340

Its not a problem of trash being to unrewarding, its a problem of bosses being too rewarding for often being less challanging than trash groups. So bosses should be made harder or loot nerfed.

But my collection of porous bones says otherwise – trash drops trash.

Sarcasmic.6741

. I could make enemies never drop their aggro on players and force them to fight every single mob, but I don’t see that as a viable solution right now.

Why isn’t this a viable solution? You should force players to fight the trash mobs that are in the way because it’s content that you designed for the players to fight. If you don’t want players to fight trash, don’t put trash in the dungeon.

Or (as has been stated on multiple occasions) having certain encounters skipable IS intended by Anet. Just because it’s in there, doesn’t mean it’s meant to be killed.

Stace (Lv 80 human quickness portal bot) | Sarcasmic (Lv 80 elixir-drunk norn pyro)

Yaki.9563

Or (as has been stated on multiple occasions) having certain encounters skipable IS intended by Anet. Just because it’s in there, doesn’t mean it’s meant to be killed.

Then why is it in there?

Posted by: Seren.6850

Seren.6850

Then why is it in there?

Same reason Orr is full of trash nobody kills, so the zone doesn’t look empty

SoS original -“They mostly come out at night … mostly”
[FIRE] Serene Snow, Warrior

Vox Hollow.2736

That is some pretty freaking expensive window dressing, right there.

Sarcasmic.6741

Then why is it in there?

So people actually have something to skip? Believe it or not, some people have trouble skipping. It’s not always as simple as run from point A to point B. If there were no mobs, it would be simple running from point A to point B.

Posted by: Lightrayne.7829

Lightrayne.7829

The way I see it is that you fight trash when you’re still learning the dungeon and its encounters. Once you know all the tricks, there’s no need to waste any more time when your goal is simply to make money or earn tokens. The novelty of exploration and learning the dungeon is gone, and you’re rewarded a faster clear time by knowing how to run past encounters. The same was true for the speed clears that developed in the original Guild Wars.

Here’s one of many videos of a speed clear in the original GW: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENOHz2Evmtw

Mob skipping is not new nor is it foreign to the GW series. Players who know how to skip should be people that are familiar with the dungeon layout and mobs’ mechanics that want to farm their rewards. GW2 is more convenient for the speed clearers, since there is no profession restrictions to make it possible (unless you’re one of those people that make groups for specific professions).

Nothing stops the players from choosing to fight the mobs except joining in groups that want the speed clear. As others have said, if you don’t like the speed clear skipping, don’t force it on others, especially when you can create/join groups that share your beliefs. You are free to clear the content using a different design-intended method.

Vox Hollow.2736

Leashing allows you back off, reassess the situation, and try again. It allows mobs to be used as infinitely re-spawning pressure in certain encounters (Magg lava). It’s also used to add a dangerous feeling to things that wouldn’t be exciting enough on their own (Magg timed orbs). There’s probably more I didn’t even think of.

There’s really good reasons to keep leashing around, turning your RPG into a terrible stealth game is not one of them.

(edited by Vox Hollow.2736)

Posted by: Jaga.2084

Jaga.2084

I’ve done the solo content 8 times. 8 times world explored, 8 characters waiting for a final push to Zhaitan. Every Crafting discipline on 400. The only things left to do are WvW, Dungeons or wander around aimlessly. I can’t see WvW anymore and to wander around gets old really quick.
Today I “spammed” the mapchat with “lfg ac. no skip”. No group found. Prior to that I was in a group. No “Hi” or anything. The Skelk at the beginning of AC was at 25% before I even got there. I left that group.
I’m slightly frustrated now and intend to only come on for dailies from now on. Skipping is fun.

Posted by: Erasmus.1624

Erasmus.1624

Is it just me or does it seem like all the people who complain about skipping and other things that were present in GW1… didn’t play GW1?

Posted by: Account.9832

Account.9832

Then why is it in there?

For several reasons, the two main ones being:

1. Dungeons, like any other part of the world, are meant to be realistic places. Just as you’re not supposed or expected to kill every single mob in every map, or buy items from every single merchant, you’re also not meant to kill every single creature in every dungeon. They are there because that’s where they “live”. Some might be in your way, some might not. Some you might want to kill, some you might prefer to avoid. That’s why the game has things like stealth, portals, etc.. It’s not just a “killing simulator”.

2. Because skipping past mobs can be a challenge in itself, requiring different skills. In TA, for example, I like to skip past mobs not because it’s easier than killing them (in many places, it’s actually harder), but because it’s more fun. The designers obviously recognize this concept; in fact, it’s the fundamental mechanic of the dolphin section in the underwater fractal (and is also used by many other games). Casting the appropriate counters, dodging at the right time, etc., can be a lot more fun than just burning down half a dozen boring mobs.

- Al Zheimer

(edited by Account.9832)

Posted by: pEEtrs.4320

pEEtrs.4320

No it wont. But I agree that groups which take time to kill everything should be rewarded (thinking about bonus XP for quests in DDO as good example).