Will the new update stop skipping?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Skipping isn’t itself a bad thing but I see a number of problems with it -

If dungeons are designed for people to skip mobs then it just punishes newcomers who see it for the first time. I know that if I go into Arah path 4 with my guild, and none of us have yet seen it, then we’ll just be wasting most/all of time with trash. That’s a big deterrent to going into a new dungeon. Going into a new dungeon should be one of the best experiences from that dungeon.

Skipping punishes a single newcomer to a dungeon who hasn’t seen the route before.

Dieing while skipping is a just not fun. After the second or third time running past on your own it is no fun whatsoever. The rest of party standing around waiting don’t find it fun either. Death in combat should at least have some excitement.

Why spend time designing a whole load of monsters that people are meant to ignore? Why spend time designing dungeons with good dungeon combats with risk and reward, just to let players skip the risk and to get the reward?

The bottom line is that dungeons do not have to be designed like Arah where players should skip most of the content. Better design is available that still makes it feel like the place is full of nasty badness.

Posted by: Jaga.2084

Jaga.2084

Please make Mobs never drop aggro. Maybe make rewards bound to time spend in a dungeon.
Grind and skip the hell out of everything or die waiting for a group. I liked the “waiting for a healer” much better than waiting for a group not exploiting or rushing. Most of my dungeon experience is quiting groups who just run through everything. Why is skipping supposed to be more rewarding then doing stuff? This is not fun at all.

(edited by Jaga.2084)

Posted by: Melfice.5091

Melfice.5091

It’s one of those human things to do something with the path of least resistance and danger, especially when there is a reward at the end. I could make enemies never drop their aggro on players and force them to fight every single mob, but I don’t see that as a viable solution right now.
I think the better solution is to look at why people are skipping things, and approach from a different angle. Trash mobs have too much HP, and can’t be counted on for lucrative drops from a Risk/Time vs Reward, so people interested in making money (most groups) aren’t incentivized to do it, whereas the end chest/boss are more guaranteed and accountable returns on time and risk. I also think there is something to be said about interesting trash mob mechanics making them more enjoyable of a fight.
I can’t make the rewards from trash mobs so lucrative though that people just farm the first couple trash mobs/boss in a dungeon and then rinse/repeat. We encountered this when people just farmed the first boss in an instance and then restarted it (earlier around launch time), and we had to adjust the content as a result. It’s a fine line you have to walk to encourage players to get to the end, but make the process of getting there rewarding enough as well.

I don’t imagine this next update will resolve all the skipping behavior. The path of least resistance is engrained in people, and even if I do everything I could to incentivize people, there will still be those who skip stuff. I have been fixing exploits that will require players to complete more of the events in dungeons, but I am sure people will still skip what they can to get to their end goal.

For now I would encourage those not looking to skip to find some folks who don’t like skipping and make a guild with them… or maybe look for guilds that are dedicated to not skipping, and tag along with them. I’m in a couple of them (anonymously), and it really is an effective solution to playing the game the way you want to play it: Find other people with similar interests and band together with them.

Is there such a thing as a justified necro?

Professional noob guardian

Posted by: MastaNeenja.1537

MastaNeenja.1537

For great justice!

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

kittening necromancers, man.

Posted by: Cold Hearted Person.6154

Cold Hearted Person.6154

Why not, the issue was never resolved, actualy the skiping grow more intense.

At this point the road to treasure can be cut out from the dungeon so that everyone get thier rewards right as the dungeon map load, a big notification will appear on the screen “Your REWARD!!!” with one option “Accept”…

In all honesty WTF is with dev’s approach, to allow players to do what they want even skiping from starting line to finish , that is exact reason why we the players get lazy and dont want to do any kind of work which normaly would be required to achive the reward.

(edited by Cold Hearted Person.6154)

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

It takes skill to skip, sometimes more skill than other times, but skill nonetheless. Skipping was fine when Rob posted in this forum a year ago, and it’s fine now that the thread was necro’d. Stop trying to force others to play the game the way you like to play the game, please. No one (worth listening to) who supports skipping is asking for free rewards or rewards instead of content, so also please stop using that ‘argument’, if it can even be called that.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

I doubt anyone has ever cleared whole Arah (even when excluding respawning enemies).

Posted by: Enaretos.8079

Enaretos.8079

I doubt anyone has ever cleared whole Arah (even when excluding respawning enemies).

When I was still a noob, I did an Arah P2 with a girl and her guild who knew it “well”. This procasualOPclearerTeam actually made me kill everything. To the last deadeye, even to the last spider.

It was a 2 hour run. Which was quite good for casuals killing everything I guess…

Snow Crows member since January 2014
My Twitch

Wethospu.6437

What about to the last drake?

Cold Hearted Person.6154

Ok, im not saying “PLAY MY WAY!!!” what im saying is that because dev’s allow for skiping, we get more lazy and want to skip more to get to the reward faster and with less effort.

and on the side note, when it was still time of point&click games most of the dungeons didnt allow for any skiping and yet people didnt complain about it, now when dev’s make an dungeon that allow for it, people want it more and more and complain when its reduced.
This show that dev’s giving in to our demands, to make content that is not forceing us in to anything, make us more and more lazy and we start to demand more skipable elements.

p.s. if skiping require real skill to be successful why not use that effort to actualy kill the mobs , its also a skillfull play.
Also its not like it will take long for a zerker Warrior to kill it, i mean thats what they r for, to kill fast.

(edited by Cold Hearted Person.6154)

Cold Hearted Person.6154

Also Rising Dusk.2408, you can defend skiping, hell im skipper myself if im feel lazy, but you have to face the fact that at this point dungeons cant be called as such but rather a slalom race wher people still try to cut corners.

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

I could make enemies never drop their aggro on players and force them to fight every single mob, but I don’t see that as a viable solution right now.

What’s not viable about taking off the leash mechanic? It works fine for dungeons in other games (ex: WoW).

If you’re worried people will feel penalized, then just pair this with the change for better rewards/more interesting trash mobs that you outlined.

(edited by Dahkeus.8243)

Posted by: LittleLepton.8915

LittleLepton.8915

I could make enemies never drop their aggro on players and force them to fight every single mob, but I don’t see that as a viable solution right now.

What’s not viable about taking off the leash mechanic? It works fine for dungeons in other games (ex: WoW).

If you’re worried people will feel penalized, then just pair this with the change for better rewards/more interesting trash mobs that you outlined.

You’re addressing a man who no longer works for anet… So GL.

RIP in peace Robert!

Gee, I wonder if he keeps an eye on us from above? If so, we love you Robert!

You don’t know me.

#LilithFan#1

Cold Hearted Person.6154

Well yea, ther is that, since ther is a new thread about skiping and this one is an necroed with post from dev that is no longer with us… i mean, with Anet, it would be better to join that other discussion and let this one to return to the grave.

Posted by: JJBigs.8456

JJBigs.8456

its really hard to skip on a NECRO

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

It’s one of those human things to do something with the path of least resistance and danger, especially when there is a reward at the end. I could make enemies never drop their aggro on players and force them to fight every single mob, but I don’t see that as a viable solution right now.
I think the better solution is to look at why people are skipping things, and approach from a different angle. Trash mobs have too much HP, and can’t be counted on for lucrative drops from a Risk/Time vs Reward, so people interested in making money (most groups) aren’t incentivized to do it, whereas the end chest/boss are more guaranteed and accountable returns on time and risk. I also think there is something to be said about interesting trash mob mechanics making them more enjoyable of a fight.
I can’t make the rewards from trash mobs so lucrative though that people just farm the first couple trash mobs/boss in a dungeon and then rinse/repeat. We encountered this when people just farmed the first boss in an instance and then restarted it (earlier around launch time), and we had to adjust the content as a result. It’s a fine line you have to walk to encourage players to get to the end, but make the process of getting there rewarding enough as well.

I don’t imagine this next update will resolve all the skipping behavior. The path of least resistance is engrained in people, and even if I do everything I could to incentivize people, there will still be those who skip stuff. I have been fixing exploits that will require players to complete more of the events in dungeons, but I am sure people will still skip what they can to get to their end goal.

For now I would encourage those not looking to skip to find some folks who don’t like skipping and make a guild with them… or maybe look for guilds that are dedicated to not skipping, and tag along with them. I’m in a couple of them (anonymously), and it really is an effective solution to playing the game the way you want to play it: Find other people with similar interests and band together with them.

some immediate ideas… clearing a dungeon path provides bonus popup chests. boss chest rewards modified upward by how much you kill. each kill provides a bonus to mf for drops and reward chests that disappears when dungeon is complete.

long term ideas… push the other devs hard for profession changes so you can make much better instanced, dungeon and fractal content.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Why would you talk to a person who is no longer in charge?

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Enaretos.8079

What about to the last drake?

Haha. That champ drake before the abom was mean to us, but it fell before the might of casuals all-clearers

My Twitch

Wethospu.6437

I doubt you took every jumping puzzle though

Enaretos.8079

I know not of JP and since I suck at all of them, I’m forced not to sploit :s

My Twitch

Posted by: Jeremlloyd.6837

Jeremlloyd.6837

I’ll show you some soon Ena

Posted by: Svetli.4276

Svetli.4276

if a net make mobs drop stuff (like they must) i will kill them
rng is unforgivable right now and only reward from Dungeons is 1g at the end and the tokes
that is why i skip mobs !

“What you wish for may not be what she wishes for.” – Skull Knight

Posted by: Erebus.7568

Erebus.7568

lets try in a nicer phrasing so it doesnt get deleted (properly will -.-)

“so since nothing has changed and it is years since you stated you are looking into it and will find a solution is it safe to assume that your team lacks the capability of comming up with an actual solution or any kind of fix to the problem?
or that you just don’t care at all that it is a problem?
-.-

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

6/10 not bad nice try

Posted by: theoutsider.7849

theoutsider.7849

6/10 not bad nice try

I thought he was trolling too, else there would be no plausible reason to necro a year old thread
turns out all his latest posts are like this so prob serious