Zhaitan... Wasn't he an Elder Dragon?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Kingkiller.9645

Kingkiller.9645

Didn’t he basically threaten to destroy the world? From what everyone said in the game, Elder Dragons are near-invincible creatures, capable of destroying everything. EVERYTHING. One dragon champion (the easiest one) would be at least 5 times harder than Zhaitan.

SPOILERS AHEAD IF YOU HAVEN’T BEATEN ZHAITAN!

I put off the living story for as long as I could, wanting to get the best of everything before I faced this awesome creature. I went to the dungeon Arah, not knowing that was where I fought Zhaitan. The first part of the dungeon was incredibly easy. We could have accomplished it with 3 of us. Now in the case of most dungeons, this is sort of true. Not nearly to the extent Arah had it, but still.
Then we boarded an airship, the Humble. It was fun, fighting god knows how many dragon champions, etc, etc. Of course, they, as did the ground bosses, gave crap loot. 2 Fine armour pieces. That’s it. IT. Very few bags, almost no karma, and at best 2 silver. It was like this for everyone in the party; I also have a decent amount of magic find, boosted even further by my dragonfly cupcakes.

Now the dragon champions I wouldn’t call strong. They summoned undead, which were easy to hold off and protect my allies while they gunned down the dragons. I just blinded them, rooted and stunned them, healed allies, and grew some Sylvari turrets. Down go two dragons.
Of course, they did manage to fear me off the ship, but that’s it.
They were overall pretty weak. I even had the time and curiosity to (before they feared me off) jump off the ship and fall for a good 7 seconds, die, respawn on the ship, and have one of my allies come to rez me while the other 3 killed the dragons.

The came a bigger ship as ours went down. We hopped aboard The Glory of Tyria and WOAH HERE COMES ZHAITAN! He didn’t even attack. He spawned incredibly weak minions, and not very many of them. From the moment we got on that ship, we might as well have all gone afk. Not like any of the minions gave us loot. The crew members and Destiny’s Edge alone could have destroyed them all.
Then we shoot him. And he just sits there. He doesn’t even fight back!!! Commanding dragon champions? NOPE! JUST SIT THERE AND DIE!

I was hoping maybe we could fight him in the air, weaken him, then have him plummet to the earth, taking our ship with him. Then maybe we could land on a large, flat piece of land, and fight him in one last battle to determine the fate of Tyria. Instead, he just dies.
Elder dragons are incredibly powerful. Of course we wouldn’t be able to kill him outright. But maybe if we weakened him in the sky, then fought the biggest battle in GW2 it would be good. But now… I was hoping a battle against him at quarter strength, and army from the Pact (couple hundred maybe) at our side, and him calling in dragons and minions of all sorts and of all strengths. Maybe Zhaitan fighting us right off the bat, then calling in a dragon champion or two, with maybe 5 champions or so on the field.

Because as it is now, it’s a movie. It’s not a fight. It’s a sci-fi spaceship battle against a dragon. Killing a Champion Spider Queen with 20 players is more challenging than this.

And was Trahearne even there? Cause I didn’t see him. Did he chicken out and decide to stay behind to “guard the fort” or something?

I’m not a hero. Heroes are not meant to survive, and I’ve lived far too long for that.

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Spoiler alert.

While you were playing around with ships and stuff, Trahearne almost killed Zhaitan singlehandedly on his own. Unfortunately his fingernail broke when he was preparing for the finishing move and he had to abandon his mission.

But he was wise enough to have you as the backup force. Though you messed really bad by destroying your ship.

If you have any other questions about the story or the lore, feel free to ask.

Posted by: Casmurro.9046

Casmurro.9046

I think the arah story dungeon didnt get finished in time for the launch of the game. There is a poi that we cant unlock, the elder dragons lair http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Elder_Dragon%27s_Lair
I think that poi was supposed to be the place where we would go to fight zaithan. When you kill that mouth boss there is a cutscene showing the open gate leading to the elder dragon’s lair, but after the cutscene you are imediatly teleported to the ship, you can’t even loot the mouth boss.

Posted by: maxinion.8396

maxinion.8396

Arah story is pretty much the worst part to the pretty terrible Personal Story. I think just about everyone can agree on that.

If you come at it from a “laugh at all this stupid kitten” perspective, it’s more enjoyable.

Posted by: OldSomalia.6180

OldSomalia.6180

Please always remind yourself, and given the circimstance of this especially (it is the ending to the personal story, after all), it has to be catered to the lowest common denominator, much like almost all of the other content in-game, so the hypercasuals have a chance to win. I mean, the already huff and puff about having to enter an instance and party with people in an MMO just to complete “MY” story, could yoy imagine how much more they’d rage of they actually had to fight some real bosses? Oh boy…

Posted by: Sera.6539

Sera.6539

And was Trahearne even there? Cause I didn’t see him. Did he chicken out and decide to stay behind to “guard the fort” or something?

Trahearne’s Wyld Hunt was to purify/cleanse the corruption Orr, which you do in an earlier personal story. Story wise, Trahearne used up too much energy doing that and thus stayed behind at Fort Trinity.

Gelda Nebilim – Nagare [NGE] – Crystal Desert
http://youtube.com/user/Royblazer

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

Arah story is pretty much the worst part to the pretty terrible Personal Story. I think just about everyone can agree on that.

If you come at it from a “laugh at all this stupid kitten” perspective, it’s more enjoyable.

QFT.

Yes, Arah story is terrible. TBH, I haven’t really found any of the story (personal or LS) in GW2 to be that interesting

Maybe it’s the presentation? The side-by-side on a stage, not even looking at each other cutscenes are soooo dry…

Maybe it’s the lack of depth? Rather than expanding on some part of Tyrian lore for living story, we get some ginger kitten who just wants to destroy the world…for some reason…oh yeah, because a dragon told her to…

It’s frustrating how much lore there is to draw on from GW1, but the stories in GW2 just feel so….cheap.

Try out The Secret World or ESO instead, where the NPCs make you feel things and the stories hold your attention.

Kingkiller.9645

Please always remind yourself, and given the circimstance of this especially (it is the ending to the personal story, after all), it has to be catered to the lowest common denominator, much like almost all of the other content in-game, so the hypercasuals have a chance to win. I mean, the already huff and puff about having to enter an instance and party with people in an MMO just to complete “MY” story, could yoy imagine how much more they’d rage of they actually had to fight some real bosses? Oh boy…

Pick any single enemy in the entire of guild wars. ANY ENEMY AT ALL. I guarantee you it was harder that Zhaitan. Yes, that includes level 2 moa birds.

I’m not a hero. Heroes are not meant to survive, and I’ve lived far too long for that.

Kingkiller.9645

QFT.

Yes, Arah story is terrible. TBH, I haven’t really found any of the story (personal or LS) in GW2 to be that interesting

Maybe it’s the presentation? The side-by-side on a stage, not even looking at each other cutscenes are soooo dry…

Maybe it’s the lack of depth? Rather than expanding on some part of Tyrian lore for living story, we get some ginger kitten who just wants to destroy the world…for some reason…oh yeah, because a dragon told her to…

It’s frustrating how much lore there is to draw on from GW1, but the stories in GW2 just feel so….cheap.

Try out The Secret World or ESO instead, where the NPCs make you feel things and the stories hold your attention.

No idea what The Secret World is, but I was in the beta for ESO. It is the worst game of all time, no debate. Everything is terrible. The gameplay, the storyline, the graphics, the voice acting, etc, etc.

Plus, aside from Zhaitan I really like GW2. Earlier in the personal storyline it was a very good, well written story. I’ve cried twice. Nope, not ashamed to say I drew man tears at the deaths or Faolain (I’m Sylvari, so that hit me five times harder than most).

(edited by Kingkiller.9645)

Posted by: layzoe.6035

layzoe.6035

No idea what The Secret World is, but I was in the beta for ESO. It is the worst game of all time, no debate. Everything is terrible. The gameplay, the storyline, the graphics, the voice acting, etc, etc.

Plus, aside from Zhaitan I really like GW2. Earlier in the personal storyline it was a very good, well written story. I’ve cried twice. Nope, not ashamed to say I drew man tears at the deaths or Faolain (I’m Sylvari, so that hit me five times harder than most).

I agree ESO is terrible. I tested for beta and as much as I loved Skyrim.. I was very disappointed with this game. I think it’s difficult to translate a game like the Elder Scrolls to mmorpg and from the looks of it, they didn’t try very hard. The depth of Skyrim.. the stories, the sheer breathtaking visuals (I read that it was almost all hand painted), combat mechanics/complexity that you could only get with console controller.. is missing.

I didn’t realize Zhaitan is one of the elder dragon, he didn’t look very dragon-ish to me? I actually enjoyed the Arah story.. rest of the personal quest was meh. I did however get choked up when Magister Sieran dies. I wanted to kick Trehearne sparta style few times, I don’t know why.. he annoyed the kitten out of me.

(edited by layzoe.6035)

Posted by: OldSomalia.6180

OldSomalia.6180

Pick any single enemy in the entire of guild wars. ANY ENEMY AT ALL. I guarantee you it was harder that Zhaitan. Yes, that includes level 2 moa birds.

People have wiped to Moas.

Yes.

Posted by: KratosAngel.7289

KratosAngel.7289

People have wiped to Moas.

Yes.

Don’t laugh at me but with my first char, a mesmer (yeah ok I deserved what I got) I had to struggle hard against moas in order to stay alive ha ha
Maybe not the lv 2 but between lv 5 and 20. Fun remembering it “noooo please moa don’t kill me with you overpoweredness” xD