did anet play dungeons ?

did anet play dungeons ?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: staticstorm.2318

staticstorm.2318

i tried my 2nd dungeon tonight AC story mode 1st being the rather disapointing arah
why im asking did anet play dungeons they seem to be set up for tanks and healers not random group of 5 dps.

why well lets see mobs can 2 shot, you can only dodge twice your going to die sooner or later during a fight and corpse run back thats just stupid

they either need to detune the dungeons to a pug friendly lvl or bring in healer and tanks even if its just npcs. you cant have fun doing this dungeons i spend the last 1hr dying more than i was standing fighting oddly enough bosses didnt kill just the trash mobs until the mesmer bosses couldnt do that again dodge get hit dodge die
i was lvl 68 downranked to what ever lvl AC is 30 i think

in other games iv raided and done hard HC without nerfs that were easier than a so called story dungeon that anyone can do, “play how you like” just dont work i found my self having to use staff just to try to keep ppl up a bit longer our team was 3 rangers ele and a guardian

the dmg output is to much in a game without healers mob hits you half life gone u heal hit again same thing but heal is on CD now oops u die i just dont see how this got past alpha testing 2bh agro seems to be random i thought it was closes to target gets it as a ele at the back mobs come for me and ignore the guadian

i dont kno what else to say but i wont be running another dungeon for a looooong time its just not worth the stress or hassle.

did anet play dungeons ?

Posted by: SideStep.1347

SideStep.1347

I dont know.

Thats a great question. I highly doubt they have run the dungeons themselves.

But you are not alone on this. Only the minority of guild wars players are running dungeons they know this cause they receive stats

did anet play dungeons ?

Posted by: omino.4302

omino.4302

Dungeons are a total disaster, Its getting to the point not only do I not play them but even complain on forums about them as it stands i don’t care i simply gave up, I cared about gw2 not anymore my thread got banished for similar points……..

did anet play dungeons ?

Posted by: Hsinimod.5784

Hsinimod.5784

Well… you shouldn’t be getting hit that much. I don’t mean dodging, I mean, you should be moving so that you are rarely being hit. And after you are hit, someone else is the one “tanking”. You trade threat with your group. You blind, knockback, knockdown, block, heal, etc.

With the whole group doing it, it is quite easy.

The problems with dungeons are the balance though. Mobs get/have a Defiant boon, that make them immune to crowd control. This is needed to prevent total lockdown of the mobs, but it is executed poorly.

The group doesn’t know about the Boon, because the game does absolutely nothing to explain it. So when you save a Crowd Control ability to save yourself or a teammate, it typically won’t do anything at the moment you needed it most.

Blocks though are 100%. Which means certain professions are ‘better’ than others.

Players don’t have control over their skills in dungeons. ArenaNet needs to let players see how the Defiant boon functions more explicitly—how it builds up and goes down—so the player can control their skills. A secondary ‘health’ bar that is just for how close a mob is to ‘immune’ would greatly help. Or something along those lines.

Right now, if you know how Dungeons work, they are stupidly easy. And if you don’t, they are impossibly hard. They do little to nothing to guide the player in that transition.

Playing Devil’s Advocate since 1990.

did anet play dungeons ?

Posted by: Ender.3508

Ender.3508

“random group of 5 dps”

There’s your problem. It’s your whole mentality.

Doing away with the trinity does NOT mean there are no more roles, it means that roles change as the situation changes. Your role is dynamic and can change in an instant. If you are spec’d for nothing but dps, you are the groups weak link.

Kretna 80 Elementalist
ex – The Midnight Syndicate [Dark]
Maguuma

did anet play dungeons ?

Posted by: Treize.7026

Treize.7026

I was originally 100% in agreement with the OP, but the reality is you have to change the way you think about these dungeons. Just from my experience, take this for what you will…

When our guild first attempted these, we played just like every other game we had played before, the “tank” just taking it on the chin, and the DPS standing off unleashing their fury. We died so many times we never wanted to set foot in a dungeon again.

Once we realized that these fights are more about what you’re doing for your group rather than what you’re doing personally, things got a lot easier. I can best speak for a mesmer, but instead of just spamming duelists, I now use berserkers for the cripple effect, and wardens to lock down ranged. I use Feedback, null field, and time warp for reflect shield, condition cure, and quickness buff instead of stacking mantras for the bonus damage.

When crap gets on another groupmate, instead of just letting them deal with it or hoping the healer saves them, I knock it away with my greatsword or immobilize it with my sword. When someone’s downed I knock crap away and rez them with an automatic feedback effect to reflect ranged.

In other words, I’m dealing damage, but I’m providing far more utility by actually watching the entire fight and assisting where needed.

Another thing that helped was the realization that we are also responsible for our own survival. The best heal you have is your self heal. No healer is going to be saving you, nor should they if you just let yourself get torn up… dodging as well as moving and LOSing enemies is critical. If something is on you and you can take it, take it, but if not, you need to avoid the damage however you can.

“Tanking” is not just standing next to a boss and letting it wail on you while others heal you, you need to use your abilities intelligently to avoid the big hits, even if you can take the little ones. A good way to test this is the colossus in diessa plateau. I was able to melee it for the majority of the fight (until I got stupid) by using my blocks and dodges at appropriate times on my guardian. If you’ve done that encounter, you know that either you avoid getting hit, or you instantly die, so that’s a good place to practice I think.

You can afford to go into a dungeon with set roles and generally you wouldn’t need to adjust those more than little as the dungeon goes on, but you need to have those roles established in advance.

My wife plays a guardian, so she’s mostly “healy” but also uses her wards to stop things coming at us, and she’s usually the one that focuses on scooping up downed players. I can do DPS on the mesmer, but I focus on supporting the group when there’s ranged attackers specifically, the rest of the dungeon I apply as much condition damage as I can.

TL;DR: don’t get discouraged, I was in the same boat. There are still some explorables that we’ve done that are absolutely ridiculous, but when we first did AC story mode and got our kitten handed to us, we thought it was insurmountable, but after trying it again looking at it differently, we found that with a little planning they can actually be quite fun.

did anet play dungeons ?

staticstorm.2318

@Ender.3508

see when anet said “play how u want” well i want to play d/d ele but it kinda sucs so i play scpeter/dager i use air and earth mostly for the kd/s and fire for its combo field i use earth sheild to break kds/stuns on me elite earth ele help “tank” and a condition remover. can u point out to me why i should be forced into somthing to play how i dont want to comes into “play how YOU want”? and i didnt see “play how you want*” *disclaimer we made this up

@Treize.7026

“our guild” guilds are a differnet cattle of fish, the every day joe pug says differnt and u got to make the game for the lowest denominator.

did anet play dungeons ?

Posted by: Numot.3965

Numot.3965

I feel that “Defiant” needs to be replaced with the enemies gaining the old un-removable version of stability for a period of time if they get controlled too much.

I also wish that encounters were kinda like facing off against an opposing 3-5 person team and less ‘pound on this 1 guy for 3+ min’. The encounters need to be dynamic and engaging, not mind-numbingly tedious and frustrating. Even smooth runs leave me somewhat disappointed with just how repetitive they can be.

did anet play dungeons ?

Posted by: ddak.3150

ddak.3150

I really don’t understand how many times I will read something like this.
Please get over it, there is no and I pray the God that it will never be holy trinity in this game. It is as perfect as it is now, practice hard and it will pay off.

Practice makes everything better. Game brought something NEW in MMO genre, so play along. Or if you won’t and cannot force yourself to learn to play little bit different,then perhaps it is not a game for you.

Like You, first time I entered dungeon as a thief, I was smashed, and smashed, and smashed again and again… I thought that melee is just not worth playing. But now, everything is so different. Practice. Play with people who has experience in particular dungeon so they can show you how they do parts that you find hard. Ask someone about your class.

Anet’s no holy trinity idea is perfect. And big thanks for implementing and making that possible.

did anet play dungeons ?

staticstorm.2318

ever think u read topics like this so many times cause u kno there is real issues with the dungeons ? just a thought.

also the no trinity idea makes the game shallow imo take any DE do u use tactics or zerg and win

“so play along. Or if you won’t and cannot force yourself to learn to play little bit different”

again its a mmo its not hard the basics are the same instead of moving out of fire u dodge. the only challenge in gw2 is the bugs and broken mechanics in dungeons

did anet play dungeons ?

Posted by: Ravenmoon.5318

Ravenmoon.5318

Guys please stop doing your emo dungeons which you recall stupiditly easy and go make CoF path 1 with a pug. It’s totally imbalanced. The boss heals way too much, maybe the devs can code the healing rate depending on the party, but unless you are with full contact/dps party, you’re screwed.
So far from my observation a guardian, thief, ranger, 2x warriors is THE dreamteam for that bad boy, anything else struggles and have high chance of failing, especially the nuckers different than necromancers, but necromancers DPS is joke compared to the rest. Condition damage other than burn/bleed/poison is pointless. This is not right !
These days I start building parties, and I ask for specific class (yes, because otherwise its impossible) and I feel bad when I have to say no to someone and he’s like “but i didn’t know the classes matter”, well sorry dude 2 days ago i thought the same thing, now i think different. This is lame in my opinion. ANet claims it is social game, well I’ve been in 3 guilds already and they all sucked monkey balls. I always team up with pugs and I do enjoy it, whoever says that gw2 community suck is blindfolded kitten ***. I’ve met great deal of people just by inviting random people. But that’s not the point, the point is that I find myself kicking people, acting like a total kitten and removing people who just want the same thing that I do and I must say it’s not nice. Infact I hate it, but the way it is now, ANet doesn’t give us any other choice.
Unlike the “pro” players here, I like to help people, and if you are too “pro” to give a hand to someone in need, I have 3 words for you – go f*** yourself

Just my 2 cents

did anet play dungeons ?

Posted by: plasmacutter.2709

plasmacutter.2709

Allow me to clarify the intent of the devs here:

There are survivability traits on clothies for a reason. There are support and healing abilities on all toons for a reason.

I guarantee if some of these people traiting glass cannon made one of their major lines toughness and another person traited healing/support, they could tank it and heal. This game favors hybridization and defensive builds MUCH more favorably than games which had the “holy trinity”

I think it needs a little polish: for instance, while i’ve heard clothies can tank in later levels when the traits are open, in early levels when you’re limited to 10 points in a given line, it’s heavy armor or bust. This could use a fix.

Still, you have to get out of the tunnel vision. This game has no such thing as “pure” anything. As such, you have to trait some survivability and bring your own healing and group utility, or you will be a useless corpse most of the time.

A second point:

Professions do matter in this game, and they SHOULD, otherwise you end up with everything as “halo.. now with leveling”. There’s a reason there was a mass exodus from WoW when they introduced “homogenization” in cataclysm.

The major point of an RPG is you have different “classes” of either players or npcs (depending on whether it’s online or not) whose abilities add up synergistically to create a “whole” more powerful than the sum of its parts. If you don’t like this, the FPS genre is “that way”.

(edited by plasmacutter.2709)

did anet play dungeons ?

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

You know OP, think for a moment. They played it, and that not only a handful times (if even that) like you, but for several years. A dungeon being challenging and even overwhelming the first few times is anything but a bad sign. It’s a great sign. What the hell do you suppose it should be to a player a year or two from now, when they know each path inside out, let alone that they’re probably fully geared? A kittening literal faceroll?
Hell, AC explorable feels like a grind to me now once I’ve done it a couple times because it’s so easy. And my character with which I’m doing it is “only” 60.

did anet play dungeons ?

Posted by: Celestea.4105

Celestea.4105

I will be making video guides, the dungeons are actually fine, minus the bugs. It’s how you approach the encounters that makes it easy. I’ll see if I can upload some videos next week. Look forward to this section next week =)

did anet play dungeons ?

Posted by: plasmacutter.2709

plasmacutter.2709

I will be making video guides, the dungeons are actually fine, minus the bugs. It’s how you approach the encounters that makes it easy. I’ll see if I can upload some videos next week. Look forward to this section next week =)

Excellent. I’d rather have people applying knowledge to adapt to this game rather than sticking to their “holy trinity” blinders and leaving in frustration.

The game has a great deal of potential, and everything in dungeons is designed to utterly necessitate team play.

If you don’t play with the welfare of your teammates as your highest priority, even in a “dps” build, your dungeons will be like a long walk through the 9th circle of hell.

did anet play dungeons ?

Posted by: Lucas Ashrock.8675

Lucas Ashrock.8675

“random group of 5 dps”

There’s your problem. It’s your whole mentality.

Doing away with the trinity does NOT mean there are no more roles, it means that roles change as the situation changes. Your role is dynamic and can change in an instant. If you are spec’d for nothing but dps, you are the groups weak link.

Just to add, he still talk about tank and healer and roles. LOL.

OP, stay far from dungeons, do yourself a favor, dungeons are not made for zergs and trinity mentality

Dungeon Master http://i.imgur.com/Hoqw3.jpg ME http://i.imgur.com/R41MGzB.jpg Fractal Guild Promoter