fractals. harpies. invunlerable.

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Dutch Master.7208

Dutch Master.7208

still haven’t fixed this ‘invulnerable’ nonsense ANet?

doing the harpy fractal is like pulling teeth.

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

It’s a mechanic to make you melee them.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

Posted by: Broadicea.8294

Broadicea.8294

Stop attacking them from below. Get in and melee. If you must be at range do it from one platform away at most so they have a LoS to attack you.

If you’re trying to melee and getting Invulnerable pop up, it’s because one of your teammates isn’t following the above advice.

Retired. Too many casuals.

Posted by: aophts.9862

aophts.9862

it’s a stupid mechanic then.

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

“It’s a mechanic to make you melee them.”

Nope it’s just plain broken. Obviously broken. There’s no need to confuse the issue.

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

You should just melee them.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

They sometimes remain invulnerable, even when you are standing right next to them. It’s simply a broken mechanic, and it is also a bad mechanic. What is the point of having a ranged weapon, if the game does not allow you to use ranged attacks?

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

They sometimes remain invulnerable, even when you are standing right next to them. It’s simply a broken mechanic, and it is also a bad mechanic. What is the point of having a ranged weapon, if the game does not allow you to use ranged attacks?

Once your weapon gets that invulnerable debuff, you have to switch weapons no matter how much of the gap you’ve closed. I don’t know what to say, that’s just how they made it.

I believe it’s to force teamwork. Now you have to melee. That means you need stability, reflection, or an aptitude for being able to A) attack jump to safe platform and C) avoid various attacks.

Really, ANET is making you work together. Working together is hard, I know. :p

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

Well it fails at that, because when I jump up to melee them they are still invulnerable for 30 seconds and above while I’m wailing on them with a dagger. Sometimes they just don’t stop being invulnerable at all.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

Posted by: dronzer.8392

dronzer.8392

Really, ANET is making you work together. Working together is hard, I know. :p

It’s a silly mechanic full stop, for melee players it’s understandable they need to be there up close and personal, but for range players… forcing them to be in close proximity… what so that the harpies have a higher percentage chance to blast you and your entire team off the platform….

range players have one advantage, being ranged yet they can’t utilise that function in this particular fractal…. bad design imo!

Broadicea.8294

you can be kittening ranged for kitten’s sake, just don’t be ranged in a position that the harpies can’t hit you back

if they’re invulnerable it’s because someone attacked them from a position that couldn’t be attacked back

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

They often get invulnerability because you use reflects. So I don’t really see how saying “go melee” helps here.

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

if they’re invulnerable it’s because someone attacked them from a position that couldn’t be attacked back

That is a dumb mechanic! It’s not our responsibility as players to make sure the monsters can hit us. We’re supposed to be trying to do the opposite! How does this design even begin to make any sort of sense?

Posted by: Linguistically Inept.6583

Linguistically Inept.6583

this is ridiculously annoying; on my guard i end up waving my hammer about doing nothing for painfully long
… and then having iwarden summons being screwed up by it on my mesmer

its terrible in its current implementation (i agree with the premise… but mobs trigger invulnerable for stupid reasons because they can clearly hit you… meanwhile… we can still attack mobs through walls without them going invuln;CM)

Desolation: 80 ranger [Nightwither], 80 necro [Dusk Grimsoul]
80 warr [Blaze Steelsoul], 80 ele [Blaze Nightstrike], 80 mesmer [Grim Shatterwhirl]
80 guard [Dusk Grimlight], 80 engi [Flintgear]

Posted by: Bismuth.3165

Bismuth.3165

There is also the eternally in combat with the harpies thing, that needs to be fixed.

Jeeha (ele) and Jeeha The Warrior
Is currently emotionally unstable because Breaking Bad is over

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

You don’t HAVE TO melee, you just have to attack them from somewhere that they can manage to aim. Same mechanic that tries to keep you from shooting melee bosses from a ledge.

Posted by: Dolan.3071

Dolan.3071

“I don’t melee I’m ranged”

Saying this should be the grounds for an instant vote kick.

Uriel Asther ~ Warrior | Kaya Lereau ~ Elementalist | Natalie Fox ~ Thief
Skye Eterna ~ Mesmer | Arya Slade ~ Charrdian | Kiera Thine ~ Ranger
Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

“if they’re invulnerable it’s because someone attacked them from a position that couldn’t be attacked back”

This is how it is meant to work but the invulnerability can start for a variety of other non-exploit reasons (such as the harpy knocking you into a place where it can no longer shoot you) and then never ends. It wouldn’t be a big problem if it ended when combat could resume normally but the invulnerability doesn’t end until one party is dead and that is a clear bug.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

its a bug…

I use mesmer and i really want to be on the same Platform of harpies.
And when i melee them with sword they stay invulnerable for LONG until they can attack you.

Its obviously a mechanic to prevent you hit mobs from positions where they cannot fight back

Yet its bugged as hell and expecially in uncategorized should be changed considering if you let them attack they oneshot you

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Just remove all those harpies from the start. Problem solved.

Broadicea.8294

all I’m saying is that I haven’t had the invulnerable problem since I started running fractals with a good team that runs in and melees with reflects and stability up. V V

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

This problem happens when someone gets out of the harpy’s range. The person could’ve got knocked down, or decided to range or w/e, but basically when the thing the harpy tries to shoot is out of reach they harpy starts using the trick they learned from their dredge friends.

Oceanic [LOD]

Posted by: lunyboy.8672

lunyboy.8672

So should comments like yours. I main an engie, with a pistol and rifle… what “melee” weapon should I be using oh Great Arbiter or Combat?

Miss Fisthammer – Engineer | Urgard Fistorsen – Guardian
Physti – Elementalist | Fistful of Blades – Thief
[WHIP] Quaggan Slavers – HoD

Posted by: KingClash.3186

KingClash.3186

They can be invulnerable in melee too, happens far more often than it should.
Its almost as bad as launch time underwater combat XD.

Posted by: HELLruler.4820

HELLruler.4820

One of those harpies got invulnerable for the whole party. We tryed melee, range, everything. In the end, we could either wipe to get ooc and fight it, or simply ignore that monster.
We skipped it

Broadicea.8294

So should comments like yours. I main an engie, with a pistol and rifle… what “melee” weapon should I be using oh Great Arbiter or Combat?

Tool Kit. Or there’s a tier 1 utility skill that you unlock at level 2, called Switch Class.

Posted by: lunyboy.8672

lunyboy.8672

Tool Kit. Or there’s a tier 1 utility skill that you unlock at level 2, called Switch Class.

Oh yes, the ultimate solution, elitism.

Also, tool kit doesn’t hit as hard as grenades, but of course you wouldn’t know that, since you don’t play engineer.

How does it make you feel that I could faceroll dungeons on your main, but you couldn’t kill skelks on mine?

Lol.

Miss Fisthammer – Engineer | Urgard Fistorsen – Guardian
Physti – Elementalist | Fistful of Blades – Thief
[WHIP] Quaggan Slavers – HoD

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Also, tool kit doesn’t hit as hard as grenades, but of course you wouldn’t know that, since you don’t play engineer.

How does it make you feel that I could faceroll dungeons on your main, but you couldn’t kill skelks on mine?

Lol.

It’s classism or rather professionism than elitism.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

It is a bug that should be fixed.

I agree that you should melee them whenever possible. They will not shoot their attack to knock you off if you’re on their platform. If you’re near a cluster the either range them down fast and/or melee using reflects and such.

A fix to this that I found was to get in the same platform as then and the jump up and attack. For about 90% of the time this fixes the issue for me.

Player Character.9467

Lol.

So use your grenades? You asked him to name a melee weapon.

Broadicea.8294

Lol.

There are 8 character names in my sig for a reason.

Attachments:

Player Character.9467

Lol.

There are 8 character names in my sig for a reason.

and 9 in game! clearly not very good at record keeping!

:P

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

Lol.

Deep soothing breaths young grasshopper.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

Broadicea.8294

and 9 in game! clearly not very good at record keeping!

:P

One is for just running new character stuff, I don’t name them so I don’t get attached :P

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

toolkit
bombkit
lolthrower
or, you know, use your weapons in melee range? other than netshot and auto attacks, rifles actually need to be really close to your target.

Oceanic [LOD]

Posted by: Quick Mouse.7635

Quick Mouse.7635

When people say melee they don’t mean you have to be weilding melee weapons. You can stand in melee range with ranged weapons and harpies won’t shoot the knockdown bombs at you.
And yes, they do go invulnerable when people who have aggro have too big of a difference in height with the mob. This is a core mechanic in the game to prevent people from using map exploits to kill mobs that can’t attack back due to terrain (this was a big problem in gw1). The problem is that it’s so easy to get knocked off the platforms in the initial spiral that the game gets “tricked” into thinking you’re trying to “exploit.” Easiest fix for this is just to remove the harpies at the beginning. This fractal is long enough already with the 4 champs, the miniboss and the boss.

Tactical Fury [TF] – Late NA/early OCX driver (SoS)
Spirit of Faith [HOPE] – RIP

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

Not to mention how they go invulnerable in places where they can and do hit you… not fun.

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

And yes, they do go invulnerable when people who have aggro have too big of a difference in height with the mob. This is a core mechanic in the game to prevent people from using map exploits to kill mobs that can’t attack back due to terrain (this was a big problem in gw1).

It’s a dreadful mechanic. Because when I’m swimming underneath the map, and hitting enemies from a spot they could never reach me, they don’t go invulnerable. So what’s the point?

It’s a mechanic that makes enemies invulnerable when they are attacked in completely reasonable ways, and doesn’t make them invulnerable when the players are exploiting bugs in the terrain. It does exactly the opposite of what it is intended to do.

This entire mechanic needs to be removed from the game.

Player Character.9467

And yes, they do go invulnerable when people who have aggro have too big of a difference in height with the mob. This is a core mechanic in the game to prevent people from using map exploits to kill mobs that can’t attack back due to terrain (this was a big problem in gw1).

It’s not based on height, I can stand at the spawn in with my LBow and shoot at the last harpies on the platforms. They won’t go invuln but they will reset their health unless somebody else is actually in a spot they can shoot.

Posted by: randomfightfan.4091

randomfightfan.4091

Lol.

So use your grenades? You asked him to name a melee weapon.

And use grenades in melee range. Pro tip. Grenades at range, at least 1 will fly off the edge and miss every time, grenade barrage will miss multiple times. In melee range, every grenade lands and deals full damage. You also benefit more from party buffs and help the party more when you’re close to them.

When people say melee they don’t mean you have to be weilding melee weapons. You can stand in melee range with ranged weapons and harpies won’t shoot the knockdown bombs at you.

generally you should use a melee weapon since the amount of ranged weapons in this game that do as much as melee is very small. You’re limited to staff ele (drop a few fields before swapping to hammer/fgs) and nade engi… that’s it. And that’s only ranged weapons compared to melee weapons for their class, not in general.

Check out my page for some good thiefisms :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/randomfightfan/videos?view=0&flow=grid

(edited by randomfightfan.4091)