fractals really suck compared to dungeons

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Rennie.6750

Rennie.6750

My dungeon experience: difficult to learn but somewhat fun. Still need a lot of practice, haven’t done them all. But overall, if we except the toxic community, they’re really fun! I got a lot of exotic gear and plenty of tokens for some exotic world vs world pvp gear and a lot of pve gear too. Overall loot is great. Plenty of “I hate melee characters, signed: the dev team” bosses but overall it can be solved with proper use of aegis. But they do look dated and buggy, also there aren’t any from the new zones.

My fractal experience: annoying mechanics that require cooperation. Not allowed to have a couple of players who have no clue about what’s going on. Too many fractals and the progression system discourages learning how bosses work and their special one shot kill animation. Plenty of “melee characters can go f* themselves” mechanics but this time there’s no real way around it except circling around the boss or the thing like an idiot until he’s done with the annoying parts. Loot is also really, really terrible. It’s just crappy RNG and no good gear is in sight. I only got a few trash rares i can’t even use and so far the grind seems really long and boring. Daily tokens are also for rings only and very, very scarce, that’s awful.

Am I missing something or did the company making this game decided to push much more grindy and annoying content for no reason at some point, and if so, why?

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

You are definitely missing something.

Posted by: Mourningcry.9428

Mourningcry.9428

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

• Melee every fractal boss successfully.
  • Able to solo nearly every encounter if you’re good, with few exceptions (Swamp wisps, Underground cages, etc)
  • Better liquid gold and item rewards than dungeons ever gave.
  • Ascended armor / weapon rewards, as well as a system to acquire them guaranteed if you prefer that route.
  • Ramp-up system teaches you how to deal with challenges at lower levels before they hit at higher levels, preventing you from getting rekt out of the gate.

About the only thing dungeons have over fractals are that dungeons reward armor skins and fractals don’t have any yet. Hopefully the Fractals team is fixing that. Outside of that, you’re definitely just missing something.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Rennie.6750

• Melee every fractal boss successfully.
  • Able to solo nearly every encounter if you’re good, with few exceptions (Swamp wisps, Underground cages, etc)
  • Ascended armor / weapon rewards, as well as a system to acquire them guaranteed if you prefer that route.
  • Ramp-up system teaches you how to deal with challenges at lower levels before they hit at higher levels, preventing you from getting rekt out of the gate.

About the only thing dungeons have over fractals are that dungeons reward armor skins and fractals don’t have any yet. Hopefully the Fractals team is fixing that. Outside of that, you’re definitely just missing something.

I didn’t say that i couldn’t melee these bosses they just have supremely annoying mechanics that can’t be dealt with immunities like in dungeons, which makes melee worth it. But better gold? lol, no way. I only ever got absolute trash from fractals. Also i’m interested in gear not gold, not sure what I’d do with gold except buying cash shop items, but that’s awfully inefficient. With dungeons I’m swimming in exotic gear. If I did fractals only i’d still have a mix of greens and rares, that’s just ridiculous.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

You’re probably not missing anything. It’s a matter of taste.

Some players are into ‘twitch’ style gaming. They enjoy mechanically complex encounters and quickly become bored if they don’t feel a rush while playing. Most (if not all) of the highly skilled, seriously dedicated sort that the devs actually collaborate with fall into this category, thus going forward a lot of of the newer PvE content appears to have been designed with their preferences in mind.

There are still lots of others (like me) who really just want something moderately engaging to play with other people at a comfortable pace, but we aren’t the intended audience for fractals and raids.

For example: I really, really enjoyed T4 fractals when Necro was OP and instabilities were basically negligible. You could pug everything everyday with virtually guaranteed success. And for what it’s worth, the rewards were much more satisfying when the content was easier. But, others felt this level of difficulty was a ‘joke’ and so on, so they changed things to be legitimately challenging. So now the hardcore players are satisfied, but now I can hardly stand to bother with ’em.

They simply cannot please everyone, unfortunately.

Jahroots.6791

Naw, I disagree. Dungeons in their prime were infinitely more rewarding than fractals could ever be. You could have an entire set of best-in-slot, meta gear in two weeks flat, all the while earning enough gold to convert to gems and buy just about whatever your little heart desired.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

My fractal experience: annoying mechanics that require cooperation. Not allowed to have a couple of players who have no clue about what’s going on. Too many fractals and the progression system discourages learning how bosses work and their special one shot kill animation.

Yes, how dare content require a basic amount of skill/practice to get completed and even worse, player cooperation in an MMO. Unheard of!

Nothing within the normal scope of T1-T4 fractals is unreasonable and the ramp up in difficulty is steady as such that people can get used to it. There is new players with sub 5k AP running T4 fractals within weeks of starting the game. T4 really is not that hard any more.

The only remotely challenging content is the challenge modes and those get shuned by a majority of the playerbase and only get run by people enjoying the challenge. So there is no problem there.

Naw, I disagree. Dungeons in their prime were infinitely more rewarding than fractals could ever be. You could have an entire set of best-in-slot, meta gear in two weeks flat, all the while earning enough gold to convert to gems and buy just about whatever your little heart desired.

Are you comparing exotic gear when dungeons were current content to ascended gear now? Kind of biased don’t you think?

The fractal 40 farm now is similar in gold reward or even better to dungeon runs during their prime with the exception that it’s a lot more boring (aproximately 30g/hour). Running T4 fractals daily nets between 10-30 gold depending on drop luck within 30-40 minutes with an okay group. That’s not counting any ascended gear chests you might get.

Rennie.6750

Some players are into ‘twitch’ style gaming. They enjoy mechanically complex encounters and quickly become bored if they don’t feel a rush while playing. Most (if not all) of the highly skilled, seriously dedicated sort that the devs actually collaborate with fall into this category, thus going forward a lot of of the newer PvE content appears to have been designed with their preferences in mind.

There are still lots of others (like me) who really just want something moderately engaging to play with other people at a comfortable pace, but we aren’t the intended audience for fractals and raids.

For example: I really, really enjoyed T4 fractals when Necro was OP and instabilities were basically negligible. You could pug everything everyday with virtually guaranteed success. And for what it’s worth, the rewards were much more satisfying when the content was easier. But, others felt this level of difficulty was a ‘joke’ and so on, so they changed things to be legitimately challenging. So now the hardcore players are satisfied, but now I can hardly stand to bother with ’em.

Yeah I see, and I was told that it was a game with a casual friendly endgame lol, I suppose I was lied to. But I’m not even opposed to a challenge, I just find mechanically challenging encounters tedious and uninteresting. I’d rather get told that I need a better build/rotation and work on that (ie work for my brain not for my fingers), that’s why I like dungeons I guess. This game is really schizophrenic on that matter, that’s my first huge disappointment. Levelling (with dungeons) was a blast, but now, all I get offered is the boring continuation of the uninteresting storyline, raids and content that’s nowhere near what the rest of the game is.

Cyninja.2954

Yeah I see, and I was told that it was a game with a casual friendly endgame lol, I suppose I was lied to.

Depends on what you consider endgame. Fractals are one part of the GW2 endgame. Open world encounters and gathering gold for legendarys or other shinie stuff is another, just as wvw ,spvp or raids are. Fractals are no more endgame than any of the others since all you get eventually is loot and gold to eventually purchase the items you want.

But I’m not even opposed to a challenge, I just find mechanically challenging encounters tedious and uninteresting.

Then you won’t enjoy raids.

Rennie.6750

My fractal experience: annoying mechanics that require cooperation. Not allowed to have a couple of players who have no clue about what’s going on. Too many fractals and the progression system discourages learning how bosses work and their special one shot kill animation.

Yes, how dare content require a basic amount of skill/practice to get completed and even worse, player cooperation in an MMO. Unheard of!

Nothing within the normal scope of T1-T4 fractals is unreasonable and the ramp up in difficulty is steady as such that people can get used to it. There is new players with sub 5k AP running T4 fractals within weeks of starting the game. T4 really is not that hard any more.

The only remotely challenging content is the challenge modes and those get shuned by a majority of the playerbase and only get run by people enjoying the challenge. So there is no problem there.

Are you comparing exotic gear when dungeons were current content to ascended gear now? Kind of biased don’t you think?

The fractal 40 farm now is similar in gold reward or even better to dungeon runs during their prime with the exception that it’s a lot more boring (aproximately 30g/hour). Running T4 fractals daily nets between 10-30 gold depending on drop luck within 30-40 minutes with an okay group. That’s not counting any ascended gear chests you might get.

You do understand that mechanically challenging encounters are not the only way to design a difficult encounter, right? This isn’t your first mmo is it?

Posted by: DoktorElmo.7362

DoktorElmo.7362

You do understand that mechanically challenging encounters are not the only way to design a difficult encounter, right? This isn’t your first mmo is it?

The other way is to do it with gear/stat checks, but GW2 is not designed with a steep gear progression in mind so that way falls away.

You are definitely missing something, fractals are way superior designed, imho they are on par with wildstars dungeon design (or comparable to some of the best wow 5 mans). The only thing i criticize is the bad loot compared to dungeons.

Cyninja.2954

Certainly not, it is one of the few MMOs which does not force constant gear progression on it’s playerbase and thus can’t take the route of constant more difficult enemies based on stats.

Enlighten me, how does one create challenging content without stat progression and/or mechanically demanding encounters?

Rennie.6750

Certainly not, it is one of the few MMOs which does not force constant gear progression on it’s playerbase and thus can’t take the route of constant more difficult enemies based on stats.

Enlighten me, how does one create challenging content without stat progression and/or mechanically demanding encounters?

Nobody said a statistical challenge had to reward better gear for the next tier of difficulty, it can also completely offer horizontal progression. The funny part is that dungeons offer more difficult content as you need to know your class, fractals just either take someone yelling in caps at you for 5 mins or you banging your head on your desk for an hour to figure out what the obscure objective means. You don’t need a good build, you don’t need good gear, you don’t even need to use different spells because bosses have their own set of challenges, it’s just boring puzzles and a bunch of stuff to kill spamming aoes or dots around them to kitten off melee players. Dungeons have that too but it’s much better done and far more interesting as you need to know your class.

Cyninja.2954

Nobody said a statistical challenge had to reward better gear for the next tier of difficulty, it can also completely offer horizontal progression. The funny part is that dungeons offer more difficult content as you need to know your class, fractals just either take someone yelling in caps at you for 5 mins or you banging your head on your desk for an hour to figure out what the obscure objective means. You don’t need a good build, you don’t need good gear, you don’t even need to use different spells because bosses have their own set of challenges, it’s just boring puzzles and a bunch of stuff to kill spamming aoes or dots around them to kitten off melee players. Dungeons have that too but it’s much better done and far more interesting as you need to know your class.

You didn’t answer the question.

The question was how does one create challenging content, not how does one create different types of content?

Also no, dungeons are by far not more challenging than fractals at this point in time. Go in with a group of full ascended players who can press more than their autoattack, you’ll have a hard time killing any boss in more than 5 seconds and skip just about all mechanics.

I’m sure dungeons are more intersting to someone new to the game (their also far more similar to dungeons in other MMOs which makes the transition easier). Now run them over 20 times each and come back and say the same thing. Some of us have been playing this game for over 5 years. Story and encounters are intersting only so long, after that it’s all grind.

If you think higher level fractals don’t require gear and builds you’ll be in for a big suprise (and very likely not get taken along by most groups). Unlike dungeons where you can go in with barely any idea of what you are doing.

(edited by Cyninja.2954)

Jahroots.6791

Dungeons did a couple things really well. For one, they let particular classes really shine if they player knew the mechanics, and secondly allowed you to learn the mechanics well enough to run everything smoothly without a hitch. I miss the feeling of control and mastery that came with learning the minutiae of every dungeon.

Fractals have progressively added more and more random elements to the fights that this just isn’t possible for any but the absolute top tier of players. Feels like I’m barely holding on to dear life a lot of the time.

Posted by: savacli.8172

savacli.8172

I’m pretty sure OP is trying to troll us here. But anyways…

Dungeons were introduced when the game initially launched. The biggest issue is that the Dungeon Dev Team was disbanded shortly after launch. So, other than the occasional bug-fixes there’s not been a whole lot of attention that was given to that content from the beginning. There’s been a bit of back an forth on Dungeon rewards, but to date they are still a solid choice for newcomers to get exotic. The gold you get from Dungeons isn’t too bad either, but the rewards are nowhere as generous as they used to be.

As far as difficulty is concerned Dungeons are still balanced around core classes and haven’t been normalized to adopt to the power creep that was introduced by the first expansion. Thus, dungeons seem very very easy if you have a geared Elite Class but will still seem somewhat difficult if you have a developing core class (lacking gear) since that’s the audience dungeons are designed to be a challenge too. The boss/puzzle mechanics may seem difficult at first but, then again, everything looks difficult at first. Sure, you may have more to evade/block in melee, but I can’t really think of a boss off the topic of my head that is “ranged-only”. To be blunt there’s really no need “to know your class” with dungeons if you run an Elite. I’m only half joking when I say I can walk into a Dungeon Boss with a Druid and auto-attack while I go grab a snack from the kitchen and come back to find that the boss died. So if you find Dungeons to be difficult I would have to say you are either running a core class or just haven’t experienced the rest of the game

Fractals are a new beast altogether. They’re more of a progression system that does indeed emphasis co-op rather than solo-play vs Dungeon just auto-scale to 5 players but don’t necessarily require them (aside from Paths like CoE or CoF p2). Fractals are on a scaling system from 1 to 100. At scale 1, the content feels a lot like Infantile Mode: mobs hit for less, bosses don’t have as much HP, and some puzzles require less people to complete. Though the higher you go you start to see higher numbers and puzzles requiring more coordinated people. Furthermore, fractals are broken up into tier: T1-T4 to help divide the noticeable jump in difficulty.

If I’m being honest, OP’s behavior is typical for someone who’s in T1’s. As in, I see players struggle way more in T1’s than I do in T4’s because players in lower tiers simply are not familiar with the mechanics. Folks in T4 generally have an easier time simply because the people in that group have more exposure to the mechanics. T1-T3 are noticibly bumpier because players are still learning mechanics; no one goes back to previous tiers unless there’s something they need from there such as an achievement or are helping out a buddy.

The loot in T1 is indeed bad, doubly so if you don’t have the Masteries for the extra loot. T4, on the other hand, is a cash cow. You can get 10-15 gold from encryption loot in addition to drops from enemies. On top of that the chances for ascended gear drops is high (more so for trinkets, less so on weapons/armor). That, and fractals dailies take no more than 30 mins on average. On top of that there are T4 exclusive challenges that award additional gold and loot that are also dailies. Granted, Fractals do have a dev team so fractals are constantly being polished and see QoL changes to make sure they stay current with the game.

Also, this game is indeed casual friendly. Around 4 years ago I got my ele his first set of gear, and the gear is not only viable but also optimal in today’s era. All in all, the rewards and difficulty are just right. Dungeons are challenging for newer players but provide rewards to help get gear. Fractals are progressively more difficult but award better loot/gear the higher you go up in the ranks. Then there’s raids…..but that’s another thread in the making.

Posted by: Fallesafe.5932

Fallesafe.5932

My dungeon experience: difficult to learn but somewhat fun. Still need a lot of practice, haven’t done them all. But overall, if we except the toxic community, they’re really fun! I got a lot of exotic gear and plenty of tokens for some exotic world vs world pvp gear and a lot of pve gear too. Overall loot is great. Plenty of “I hate melee characters, signed: the dev team” bosses but overall it can be solved with proper use of aegis. But they do look dated and buggy, also there aren’t any from the new zones.

My fractal experience: annoying mechanics that require cooperation. Not allowed to have a couple of players who have no clue about what’s going on. Too many fractals and the progression system discourages learning how bosses work and their special one shot kill animation. Plenty of “melee characters can go f* themselves” mechanics but this time there’s no real way around it except circling around the boss or the thing like an idiot until he’s done with the annoying parts. Loot is also really, really terrible. It’s just crappy RNG and no good gear is in sight. I only got a few trash rares i can’t even use and so far the grind seems really long and boring. Daily tokens are also for rings only and very, very scarce, that’s awful.

Am I missing something or did the company making this game decided to push much more grindy and annoying content for no reason at some point, and if so, why?

I feel the exact opposite (i.e. that dungeons suck compared to fractals). I just dinged into fractal-scale 100 five mins ago; and I love doing them. I’m usually top DPS in my groups,, and the last one standing when my everyone wipes. But when I go into dungeons, I get steamrolled over and over. They seem WAY harder and more annoying. Maybe it’s just that I’m really inexperienced at them, and don’t know the mechanics. Or maybe its that I join horrendous pickup groups. But I HATE dungeons with a passion…

(edited by Fallesafe.5932)

Posted by: Makai.3429

Makai.3429

Yep, and those of us who don’t like or can’t do twitch play are getting pushed out of the game, just to satisfy the elitist raiders, which is really sad.

Proud disabled gamer. Not everyone has the capacity to git gud.

(edited by Makai.3429)

Cyninja.2954

Yep, and those of us who don’t like or can’t do twitch play are getting pushed out of the game, just to satisfy the elitist raiders, which is really sad.

No one is forcing you to do T4 fractals. No one is forcing you to raid (even less so now that there is alternative methods to gain legendary armor).

What you expect is the same amount of rewards for 0 effort. Fine, play open world pve or run dungeons, the rewards in some of those areas are huge too.

No one is pushing any one out of anything by adding challenging content. The fact that you can’t clear the content but still want the rewards is hardly the fault of the raiding crowd.

Makai.3429

No one is forcing you to do T4 fractals. No one is forcing you to raid (even less so now that there is alternative methods to gain legendary armor).

What you expect is the same amount of rewards for 0 effort. Fine, play open world pve or run dungeons, the rewards in some of those areas are huge too.

No one is pushing any one out of anything by adding challenging content. The fact that you can’t clear the content but still want the rewards is hardly the fault of the raiding crowd.

Putting words in my mouth. Nice. I don’t really care about rewards, nor did I mention them once – I just want to be able to play relaxing group content after a hard day of work, but since the new Raid-Fractals and Raids have pushed out Dungeons, there’s not much choice left.

Posted by: Stalkingwolf.6035

Stalkingwolf.6035

i like the fracatals. but i also like mythic+ in World of Warcraft.
They are small and quick with a lot of mechanics you have to mind.
i love the Shattered Observatory. i was blown away from Viirastra and Arkk.
really funny rewarding fights

btw. i play melee guardian and i have no problems.

Makai.3429

Putting words in my mouth. Nice. I don’t really care about rewards, nor did I mention them once – I just want to be able to play relaxing group content after a hard day of work, but since the new Raid-Fractals and Raids have pushed out Dungeons, there’s not much choice left.

If you don’t care about rewards and want to relax, T1 is your friend. The option’s there.

I don’t think it’s fair to say that the game is “catering to elitists”. Just like how you don’t like hard content, should Anet only release easy content when there are players who actually do want a challenge? I think the game would be pretty boring if everything can just be facerolled.

I’m not against hard content…I just hate the way Anet implements it, and how much of a vast departure it is from the original. I loved GW1, and was really good at it, and it’s awful to not be able to do certain content just because I don’t have an insanely good APM or reaction time, or because visual noise prevents me from reading enemy actions. When the game first came out, dungeons were the end game content, and it felt really nice to lead my friends through them. Nowadays I just sit around Queensdale and help new players since people like me are getting grandfathered out.

(edited by Makai.3429)

Posted by: Heijincks.9267

Heijincks.9267

If you don’t care about rewards and want to relax, T1 is your friend. The option’s there.

I don’t think it’s fair to say that the game is “catering to elitists”. Just like how you don’t like hard content, should Anet only release easy content when there are players who actually do want a challenge? I think the game would be pretty boring if everything can just be facerolled.

I’m not against hard content…I just hate the way Anet implements it, and how much of a vast departure it is from the original. I loved GW1, and was really good at it, and it’s awful to not be able to do certain content just because I don’t have an insanely good APM or reaction time, or because visual noise prevents me from reading enemy actions. When the game first game out, dungeons were the end game content, and it felt really nice to lead my friends through them. Nowadays I just sit around Queensdale and help new players since people like me are getting grandfathered out.

I deleted my post because I realized I wasn’t really making a relevant response.

Anyway, I get what you mean. It’d be nice to have dungeons back in one form or another (currently, it feels like wasted content). That said, I definitely think that the direction that Anet is taking with fractals and raids is a good one.

Cyninja.2954

I’m not against hard content…I just hate the way Anet implements it, and how much of a vast departure it is from the original. I loved GW1, and was really good at it, and it’s awful to not be able to do certain content just because I don’t have an insanely good APM or reaction time, or because visual noise prevents me from reading enemy actions. When the game first came out, dungeons were the end game content, and it felt really nice to lead my friends through them. Nowadays I just sit around Queensdale and help new players since people like me are getting grandfathered out.

Why not expand on that notion? Make a guild and help people get acclimated to the game (or join one and help out). There is an ambudance if “easy” and/or non-twitch content available to do and especially new players are having a hard time to get to know all of it and what possibilities there are.

That said, GW2 always has had the problem of creating engaging endgame content. It’s always been the players responsibility to set their own goals and find a path to achieve those. Aside from a very minor amount of items or skins, there is nothing locked behind hard content which can’t also be gained via gold or other time sinks. Maybe you are just burnt out after 5 years of GW2.

I just think it’s unfair to blame 1 fraction of the playerbase for arenanet adding some more challenging content which is in no way required or necessary to complete. There is enough content around for every one or every skill and age level.

Posted by: Vinceman.4572

Vinceman.4572

You can still run 99 & 100 with 5 necros or 4 necros + 1 druid and almost go afk. Both fractals are easy as hell with that team comp.
The only difference is if you run the respective CMs (challenge modes) but even here 99CM is at least decent doable with necro comp.

Took me 3 runs of the dungeon to get the bug.

Posted by: thrag.9740

thrag.9740

I agree with some points, disagree with others. To me, social awkwardness is ridiculous, and teaches you the exact opposite of what you should be learning for raids. So I agree, fractals have some annoying mechanics.

I do believe that exotics being more expensive than ascended gear is absurd (a real phenomena in hot), and that dungeons helped keep the game from being very grindy. I.e exotics use to be easy to get. Now if your not a raider, both are pretty hard in some cases, such as minstrel.

However, it is no longer an easy task to compare the two styles of content. Dungeons (at least for end game, meta/speed clear players), were about 10 second burst rotations, blasting stealth, sharing swiftness, and running to the next 10 second burst. Fractals usually involve much less trash, much less travel, and more extended combat (which allows mechanics to be relevant). I enjoyed both pieces of content myself.

I’ll add this, no boss in fractals makes me as giddy as lupi did.

Posted by: STIHL.2489

STIHL.2489

You didn’t miss anything, the company moved anyway from fun Dungeon designs that have a story and a theme, to Fractals that feel like an RNG Grind Rusher wet dream. so that was spot on.

But what you are missing is that the loot for fractals gets much better as you go up the tiers.

There are two kinds of gamers, salty, and extra salty

Rising Dusk.2408

You didn’t miss anything, the company moved anyway from fun Dungeon designs that have a story and a theme, to Fractals that feel like an RNG Grind Rusher wet dream. so that was spot on.

I like how you completely overlook the story and theme for the Fractals, lol. You people and your rose-tinted glasses.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Makai.3429

Why not expand on that notion? Make a guild and help people get acclimated to the game (or join one and help out). There is an ambudance if “easy” and/or non-twitch content available to do and especially new players are having a hard time to get to know all of it and what possibilities there are.

That said, GW2 always has had the problem of creating engaging endgame content. It’s always been the players responsibility to set their own goals and find a path to achieve those. Aside from a very minor amount of items or skins, there is nothing locked behind hard content which can’t also be gained via gold or other time sinks. Maybe you are just burnt out after 5 years of GW2.

I just think it’s unfair to blame 1 fraction of the playerbase for arenanet adding some more challenging content which is in no way required or necessary to complete. There is enough content around for every one or every skill and age level.

I want to get better, but I’ve exhausted my resources, so I hope you can understand. The shift from GW1 to 2 was massive: twitch reflexes over strategy and thought, which has turned me from a leader, expert, and mentor, into a scrub – even worse when I get lambasted for missing a single tell in a sea of particle effects or when my reaction time is off by 1/16th of a second; or when this “great community” tells me to git gud despite knowing I have limitations (I’ve been playing MMOs since 1999 and have never encountered a community so hostile to disabled players as GW2 – multiply that cruelty x 100 for your one fraction of players). I’m really good at games in general, but GW2 has been problematic since HoT, and as more people move to Raids/T4, there’s fewer grouping options on the horizon.

(edited by Makai.3429)

Rising Dusk.2408

I want to get better, but I’ve exhausted my resources, so I hope you can understand. The shift from GW1 to 2 was massive: twitch reflexes over strategy and thought, which has turned me from a leader, expert, and mentor, into a scrub – even worse when I get lambasted for missing a single tell in a sea of particle effects or when my reaction time is off by 1/16th of a second; or when this “great community” tells me to git gud despite knowing I have limitations (I’ve been playing MMOs since 1999 and have never encountered a community so hostile to disabled players as GW2 – multiply that cruelty x 100 for your one fraction of players). I’m really good at games in general, but GW2 has been problematic since HoT, and as more people move to Raids/T4, there’s fewer grouping options on the horizon.

You can beat any non-CM encounter in raids or fractals with literally any composition so long as you at least understand the basics and are willing to update your build to be reasonable for that class. Seriously.

My guild lets some of our less skilled or physically handicapped players use supertank healing builds in raids and fractals, and they get clears of T4’s and every raid encounter just like the rest of us. The only challenge here is you looking for a group who will let you do that; just find the right community and everything is accessible to anyone who’s willing to try.

Makai.3429

You can beat any non-CM encounter in raids or fractals with literally any composition so long as you at least understand the basics and are willing to update your build to be reasonable for that class. Seriously.

My guild lets some of our less skilled or physically handicapped players use supertank healing builds in raids and fractals, and they get clears of T4’s and every raid encounter just like the rest of us. The only challenge here is you looking for a group who will let you do that; just find the right community and everything is accessible to anyone who’s willing to try.

I don’t know why you’re implying I don’t have the right build or equipment. The reason I can’t do hard content is because of visual noise, OHKO red rings of death that I can’t see, and the general sluggishness of the controls: nothing at all to do with my knowledge of the game. (Also, fyi, it’s in poor taste to tell a disabled person what they can and can’t do. Seriously.)

Rising Dusk.2408

I don’t know why you’re implying I don’t have the right build or equipment. The reason I can’t do hard content is because of visual noise, OHKO red rings of death that I can’t see, and the general sluggishness of the controls: nothing at all to do with my knowledge of the game. (Also, fyi, it’s in poor taste to tell a disabled person what they can and can’t do. Seriously.)

I don’t know why you’re being so defensive; I never implied anything (seriously, reread it), I was simply stating the requirement of proper build/equipment for success. If you want to succeed, all you have to do is find the right group and try. That’s it.

Makai.3429

I don’t know why you’re being so defensive; I never implied anything (seriously, reread it), I was simply stating the requirement of proper build/equipment for success. If you want to succeed, all you have to do is find the right group and try. That’s it.

Sorry. I’m used to being defensive like this. Like I’ve said, I feel this game is really hostile toward players like me, so it’s natural. I’m sick and tired of being demeaned and kicked out of groups for not being able to reach some paragon level of perfection.

Rising Dusk.2408

Sorry. I’m used to being defensive like this. Like I’ve said, I feel this game is really hostile toward players like me, so it’s natural. I’m sick and tired of being demeaned and kicked out of groups for not being able to reach some paragon level of perfection.

No hard feelings! It sounds like you just need to find the right guild to run with so that you’re not dealing with pubs, which are the literal worst. There are a lot of them in the Looking For forum that may be a good fit, so I encourage you to check them out and whisper their officers.

STIHL.2489

I like how you completely overlook the story and theme for the Fractals, lol. You people and your rose-tinted glasses.

That is because the “Story” if you could call it such, is “Hit the RNG button and see what random historical encounter comes up” .. so no.. no one missed anything to think fractals were lacking in that department.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

That is because the “Story” if you could call it such, is “Hit the RNG button and see what random historical encounter comes up” .. so no.. no one missed anything to think fractals were lacking in that department.

Whilst I like the (earlier) fractal stories and themes (largely because the simple, subtle story works well for them), I agree there is a stronger narrative for the dungeons.

One point though and perhaps I misunderstood your post, fractals are no longer RNG selected and haven’t been for a couple of years now. You can select any individual one you like.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

What is twitch play? I’ve certainly never kicked someone out for not having it, because I don’t know what it is (for that matter, I’ve never kicked someone out for bad performance in fractals — we generally just carry them instead).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

STIHL.2489

Whilst I like the (earlier) fractal stories and themes (largely because the simple, subtle story works well for them), I agree there is a stronger narrative for the dungeons.

One point though and perhaps I misunderstood your post, fractals are no longer RNG selected and haven’t been for a couple of years now. You can select any individual one you like.

Eh… that was the story behind them, not sure what the story is supposed to be now, umm maybe it’s “10 min loot grind, get-r-done”..?

Posted by: FrostDraco.8306

FrostDraco.8306

What is twitch play? I’ve certainly never kicked someone out for not having it, because I don’t know what it is (for that matter, I’ve never kicked someone out for bad performance in fractals — we generally just carry them instead).

Twitch play is basically what people think being able to anticipate and deal with mechanics is. They should really just say reflexes….because thats what it is.

Those that don’t have good reflexes are pushed out of raiding apparently. Utter bullocks.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Guess you havent followed the ark story line in the new fractals at all then.

Posted by: Valik Shin.9027

Valik Shin.9027

Dungeons should at least have a balance update and bug fixes even if there is no new content for them. WP made a good point that this tends to be the first “end game” content people encounter when picking up the game and dungeons are full of bugs

Valik Shin
Darkwood Legion [DARK]
Yak’s Bend

Posted by: narcx.3570

narcx.3570

I didn’t say that i couldn’t melee these bosses they just have supremely annoying mechanics that can’t be dealt with immunities like in dungeons, which makes melee worth it. But better gold? lol, no way. I only ever got absolute trash from fractals. Also i’m interested in gear not gold, not sure what I’d do with gold except buying cash shop items, but that’s awfully inefficient. With dungeons I’m swimming in exotic gear. If I did fractals only i’d still have a mix of greens and rares, that’s just ridiculous.

You most likely don’t have any of the Fractal masteries… Once you have those you easily make 25 gold in the 30-40 minutes it takes you to do your dailies—and that’s on a bad RNG day.

And that’s not even counting the fractal 40 farm, which has by far the best Time/Gold ratio of anything in the game.

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

You most likely don’t have any of the Fractal masteries… Once you have those you easily make 25 gold in the 30-40 minutes it takes you to do your dailies—and that’s on a bad RNG day.

And that’s not even counting the fractal 40 farm, which has by far the best Time/Gold ratio of anything in the game.

You arent wrong, i can only do tier 2 fractals at the moment, and im making easily 30 gold a day just doing the dailies + the ascended chests that drop occasionally. The amount of AR though…i really wanna get into T3s.

However, i will agree that i wish dungeons still had a place in this game. i like they way they where setup, and i hate the fact they decided to defunct them for Fractals and in the process utterly destroy the dungeon community the way that they did.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

FrostDraco.8306

You arent wrong, i can only do tier 2 fractals at the moment, and im making easily 30 gold a day just doing the dailies + the ascended chests that drop occasionally. The amount of AR though…i really wanna get into T3s.

However, i will agree that i wish dungeons still had a place in this game. i like they way they where setup, and i hate the fact they decided to defunct them for Fractals and in the process utterly destroy the dungeon community the way that they did.

They didn’t destroy the dungeon community. The dungeon community (especially the casual side) just moved on.

Plenty of hardcore guilds still do full dungeon tours.

STIHL.2489

They didn’t destroy the dungeon community. The dungeon community (especially the casual side) just moved on.

That would be what destroying the dungeon community would be, the community that used to do dungeons.. moved on.

FrostDraco.8306

That would be what destroying the dungeon community would be, the community that used to do dungeons.. moved on.

You don’t seem to understand the syntax of what you said. When you say “destroyed the dungeon community” you are placing blame on Anet, not stating the dungeon community moved on of its own will and volition, which is what happened.

Also they didn’t defunct dungeons for fractals. They had decided long ago they weren’t doing dungeons. And the fractal team, is new. That’s like saying they defuncted the dungeon team for raids, when the raid team didn’t exist then, and they NEVER had a team for dungeons.

It’s not simple semantics, as the word choice and order says different things.

I think the proper question would be to ask of Anet to create a dungeon team, in addition to asking why they didn’t before. But since we already know they considered the dungeons a failure, and have abandoned them, that would be fruitless. However i do think dungeons deserve a one time rework every few years even if they do not get continued support, as they are still a part of the game, and are different than raids and fractals.

(edited by FrostDraco.8306)

STIHL.2489

You don’t seem to understand the syntax of what you said. When you say “destroyed the dungeon community” you are placing blame on Anet, not stating the dungeon community moved on of its own will and volition, which is what happened.

LOL.. No.. Anet actively destroyed the loot rewards for dungeons because Anet had ceased to support dungeons for their game, and thus Anet sought and succeeding at destroying the dungeon community.. that is exactly what happened, the Dungeon community did not simply move on, there was a lot of direct action by Anet to push them away from Dungeons.

Posted by: katz.8376

katz.8376

….

no offense, but are you new? Dungeons died out because 1. Anet killed the gold you could get from a dungeon (IIRC they at least slashed it in half… maybe worse). and 2. they took their dungeon team, said “we’re not doing dungeons anymore” and put em on fractals. this was when the fractals were greatly expanded (from 50 to 100) and enhanced (no more randoms. better dailies, better loot).

so yeah. no matter how you try to slice it and no matter what wordplay you try to employ… Anet killed dungeons.

Druids of Dhuum [DoD]|Rally Bait [RALY]
~o hai there :D~ LONG LIVE ET

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

so yeah. no matter how you try to slice it and no matter what wordplay you try to employ… Anet killed dungeons.

Except that they really didn’t.

Player perception killed dungeons. As is in their current state dungeons are every bit as lucrative now as they were in the past. The only difference is how you generate that reward.

Instead of being rewarded for playing CoF p1 50 times a day, you instead play 8 unique paths (which now includes story) and get a repeatable gold and token generation source of your choice.

But yeah people keep saying dungeons are dead, it’s really helping that community come back.