fractals really suck compared to dungeons

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: narcx.3570

narcx.3570

They didn’t destroy the dungeon community. The dungeon community (especially the casual side) just moved on.

….

You don’t seem to understand the syntax of what you said. When you say “destroyed the dungeon community” you are placing blame on Anet, not stating the dungeon community moved on of its own will and volition, which is what happened.

no offense, but are you new? Dungeons died out because 1. Anet killed the gold you could get from a dungeon (IIRC they at least slashed it in half… maybe worse). and 2. they took their dungeon team, said “we’re not doing dungeons anymore” and put em on fractals. this was when the fractals were greatly expanded (from 50 to 100) and enhanced (no more randoms. better dailies, better loot).

so yeah. no matter how you try to slice it and no matter what wordplay you try to employ… Anet killed dungeons.

If anything they evolved dungeons… The difference between fractaling and dungeoning is small and mostly semantic. They’re still both 5-man instances that you need a group to do and then you repeat them every day for gold until your head explodes. The only real difference between them is that fractals have mechanics and difficulty that matches the current state of the game (with access to your elite specs in mind), whereas dungeons have outdated scaling and mechanics… (Spike traps that you can’t evade, gtfo.)

It’s just there’s a small, small section of people that just don’t want to move on with new content and want to keep farming what they know for the same tier of rewards forever… They also all drive Trans Am’s with Firebird decals on the hood in real life and can often be found reminiscing about the “Big Game” they had back in high school.

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

Player perception killed dungeons. As is in their current state dungeons are every bit as lucrative now as they were in the past.

They are “lucrative” and also old, filled with bugs and forever abandoned. And thanks to powercreep they are also not fun.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Player perception killed dungeons. As is in their current state dungeons are every bit as lucrative now as they were in the past.

They are “lucrative” and also old, filled with bugs and forever abandoned. And thanks to powercreep they are also not fun.

I agree with your points, but the argument people are making is ANet’s economic handling of dungeons killed the community which isn’t true.

Them being abandoned, bug-riddled 5 year old content however that’s something that could and likely did drive out the old community as it simply moved onto greener pastures.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

They didn’t destroy the dungeon community. The dungeon community (especially the casual side) just moved on.

….

You don’t seem to understand the syntax of what you said. When you say “destroyed the dungeon community” you are placing blame on Anet, not stating the dungeon community moved on of its own will and volition, which is what happened.

no offense, but are you new? Dungeons died out because 1. Anet killed the gold you could get from a dungeon (IIRC they at least slashed it in half… maybe worse). and 2. they took their dungeon team, said “we’re not doing dungeons anymore” and put em on fractals. this was when the fractals were greatly expanded (from 50 to 100) and enhanced (no more randoms. better dailies, better loot).

so yeah. no matter how you try to slice it and no matter what wordplay you try to employ… Anet killed dungeons.

The dungeon team was disbanded years before there even were a fractal team.
And sure they cut down the gold but then reinstanted the loot with more tokens for each path once each day and 5 gold + choice of 150 tokens for each dif 8 paths you do.

You can continue to do 8 number of those paths for the 5gold 150 tokens how ever many times you want a day.

So yes the raw coin for each dungeon path is less but if you do 8 diffrent ones you gain about the same when you count in the extra tokens and gold for paths/chest.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

You most likely don’t have any of the Fractal masteries… Once you have those you easily make 25 gold in the 30-40 minutes it takes you to do your dailies—and that’s on a bad RNG day.

And that’s not even counting the fractal 40 farm, which has by far the best Time/Gold ratio of anything in the game.

You arent wrong, i can only do tier 2 fractals at the moment, and im making easily 30 gold a day just doing the dailies + the ascended chests that drop occasionally. The amount of AR though…i really wanna get into T3s.

However, i will agree that i wish dungeons still had a place in this game. i like they way they where setup, and i hate the fact they decided to defunct them for Fractals and in the process utterly destroy the dungeon community the way that they did.

That would be what destroying the dungeon community would be, the community that used to do dungeons.. moved on.

Also they didn’t defunct dungeons for fractals. They had decided long ago they weren’t doing dungeons. And the fractal team, is new. That’s like saying they defuncted the dungeon team for raids, when the raid team didn’t exist then, and they NEVER had a team for dungeons.

It’s not simple semantics, as the word choice and order says different things.

I think the proper question would be to ask of Anet to create a dungeon team, in addition to asking why they didn’t before. But since we already know they considered the dungeons a failure, and have abandoned them, that would be fruitless. However i do think dungeons deserve a one time rework every few years even if they do not get continued support, as they are still a part of the game, and are different than raids and fractals.

Purposefully creating an environment to encourage the dungeon community to move on, “of their own volition,” carries responsibility for the dismantling of that community.

If one actively attempts to make people want to leave, then you are at least partially responsible if they do so.

Posted by: STIHL.2489

STIHL.2489

Except that they really didn’t.

Player perception killed dungeons. As is in their current state dungeons are every bit as lucrative now as they were in the past. The only difference is how you generate that reward.

Instead of being rewarded for playing CoF p1 50 times a day, you instead play 8 unique paths (which now includes story) and get a repeatable gold and token generation source of your choice.

But yeah people keep saying dungeons are dead, it’s really helping that community come back.

You must have missed the whole era where they flat out killed the rewards, on top of that, Anet has openly admitted they don’t want the Dungeon community back.

There are two kinds of gamers, salty, and extra salty

TexZero.7910

Player perception killed dungeons. As is in their current state dungeons are every bit as lucrative now as they were in the past. The only difference is how you generate that reward.

Instead of being rewarded for playing CoF p1 50 times a day, you instead play 8 unique paths (which now includes story) and get a repeatable gold and token generation source of your choice.

But yeah people keep saying dungeons are dead, it’s really helping that community come back.

You must have missed the whole era where they flat out killed the rewards, on top of that, Anet has openly admitted they don’t want the Dungeon community back.

I’ve been here the whole time. It’s funny how you can throw that out there so brazenly but it’s almost like you haven’t actually played them yourself as of recent. If you had, you know that you can quite easily 3man the dungeons now and earn more gold via the repeatable 5g + token box than you ever were back in the old days of CoF p1 spam. Dungeon touring is equally as valid today as it was back in 2012.

Posted by: Azoqu.8917

Azoqu.8917

Concerning dungeon rewards, back in the day it was the following:
3 AC paths for 4.5g
2 CoF paths for 2g
3 CoE paths for 3g (Charged cores/lodestones)

This would get you 9.5g and 480 tokens. Nowadays you’d get the following:

3 AC paths for 1.5g
2 CoF paths for 0.66g
3 CoE paths for 1g
Extra 5g for 8 paths

So you will now get the following of 8.16g and 950 tokens. So the difference nowadays is losing 1.34g for 470 tokens which is totally worth it imo. Yes there was a time when you didn’t get the extra tokens or the extra 5g and that was terrible, but nowadays the reward is pretty much the same or better. So dungeons are now dead because people keep saying they’re dead and the community moved on.

Edit: And this math is with doing AC for 3 paths, the gap gets even closer once you ignore AC for 3 other paths except Arah.

(edited by Azoqu.8917)

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

3 AC paths for 4.5g
2 CoF paths for 2g

3 AC paths for 1.5g
2 CoF paths for 0.66g
3 CoE paths for 1g
Extra 5g for 8 paths

So you will now get the following of 8.16g and 950 tokens. So the difference nowadays is losing 1.34g for 470 tokens which is totally worth it imo. Yes there was a time when you didn’t get the extra tokens or the extra 5g and that was terrible, but nowadays the reward is pretty much the same or better. So dungeons are now dead because people keep saying they’re dead and the community moved on.

They are dead because of that time when you didnt get the extra tokens or the extra 5G. That was the time when the community “moved”(forcefully) on, Anet took away almost all the gold reward for dungeons for a period of time and just left tokens behind. It was only after massive amounts of complaints that they even added that in. Unfortunately it never made a recovery, probably never will.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Azoqu.8917

They are dead because of that time when you didnt get the extra tokens or the extra 5G. That was the time when the community “moved”(forcefully) on, Anet took away almost all the gold reward for dungeons for a period of time and just left tokens behind. It was only after massive amounts of complaints that they even added that in. Unfortunately it never made a recovery, probably never will.

And I totally agree that is what killed dungeons, but that doesn’t change the fact that the rewards are just and good or better (depending if you think double the tokens is worth more than 1g). It also doesn’t change the fact that dungeons never recovered because people think they’re dead and not worth it still while they are. This is just like how everyone though only Ele did good DPS but as soon as DPS meters existed and opened everyones eyes, people started to use other classes in PUGs.

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

And I totally agree that is what killed dungeons, but that doesn’t change the fact that the rewards are just and good or better (depending if you think double the tokens is worth more than 1g). It also doesn’t change the fact that dungeons never recovered because people think they’re dead and not worth it still while they are. This is just like how everyone though only Ele did good DPS but as soon as DPS meters existed and opened everyones eyes, people started to use other classes in PUGs.

Ah, i see! Its a shame really, would love to get all the skins, but having nobody in the small guild im in thats willing to them sucks ;[

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

STIHL.2489

I’ve been here the whole time. It’s funny how you can throw that out there so brazenly but it’s almost like you haven’t actually played them yourself as of recent. If you had, you know that you can quite easily 3man the dungeons now and earn more gold via the repeatable 5g + token box than you ever were back in the old days of CoF p1 spam. Dungeon touring is equally as valid today as it was back in 2012.

LOL. No it’s not, I become locked into an 8 Dungeon path obligation which requires no less then 3 separate Dungeons to be completed.. to get close to what I could have gotten just doing one dungeon path as few or many times as I liked, and moving on to something else.

They are Not even close.

STIHL.2489

3 AC paths for 4.5g
2 CoF paths for 2g

3 AC paths for 1.5g
2 CoF paths for 0.66g
3 CoE paths for 1g
Extra 5g for 8 paths

Edit: And this math is with doing AC for 3 paths, the gap gets even closer once you ignore AC for 3 other paths except Arah.

The main thing you are missing here, is that I could have done 3 paths AC, and walked away with 4.5 gold and called it a night, and moved on to doing a daily fractal, thus dungeons we an easy addition to paying the game.. now for that same time investment I get 1.5 gold, or I need to commit to doing 8 total paths of dungeons, it goes from being a nice addition to game to an obnoxious grind.

Which was Anet’s plan, to make dungeons unappealing, and thus drive people away from them, They have succeed.

Azoqu.8917

The main thing you are missing here, is that I could have done 3 paths AC, and walked away with 4.5 gold and called it a night, and moved on to doing a daily fractal, thus dungeons we an easy addition to paying the game.. now for that same time investment I get 1.5 gold, or I need to commit to doing 8 total paths of dungeons, it goes from being a nice addition to game to an obnoxious grind.

“I don’t care about the dungeons themselves, just the easy money”

STIHL.2489

There is always that subset of players that want to turn every game into work, to make something that should be fun into a chore. These people truly ruin games.

Posted by: katz.8376

katz.8376

didn’t they?

Over the last couple of years, dungeons have been a major part of the game’s economy; between unique armor and liquid rewards, they’re often farmed. In the expansion, we’ll move away from this paradigm. As the game progressed, we shifted focus from dungeons to fractals and raids, and we firmly believe that fractals and raids are the content that we want to continue to support. As a part of that process, we’ll shift some rewards away from dungeons and into other pieces of content. While dungeons will remain cool experiences that’ll reward players with unique items, their liquid rewards will be reduced and other content will become more rewarding. The shift in rewards is a direct representation of our focus on raids and fractals and our commitment to make them the best they can be. (10/12/15. source)

Dungeon rewards have been rebalanced to more accurately reflect the time needed to complete them. Experience and gold awarded for completing a dungeon have been reduced. (10/23/15. source)

Anet DIRECTLY STATES they wanted to move players away from dungeons. it doesn’t get much clearer than that. it bit em in the kitten tho… the forums erupted with complaints. dungeons became ghost towns overnight… the farmers switched to fractals, not because they were more interesting, but because the loot from their previous farm was hamstrung, and the few who wanted to run dungeons for the story/flavor/armor rewards found it nearly impossible to find a group, so were forced to move on too. if that isn’t “killing dungeons” i don’t know what is

5 months later they admitted they screwed up.

Q: Have you guys reconsidered your decision to push players away from dungeons?…
A: Simple answer, yes. We didn’t need to nerf dungeons like that. But we also don’t have a dungeons team to keep dungeons updates. So that’s the dilemma.

Guild Wars 2 is a big game with a lot of dev needs. My personal focus is to ensure that we do a great job of anything we choose to do. I’m all about doing fewer things and doing them better. So we have no current plan to staff a dungeons team; no free developers to staff one with. (3/4/16. source: Mike O’Brien’s AMA on Reddit)

a month later…

We increased dungeon rewards, including both gold and tokens. We chose to use a repeatable achievement to deliver gold rewards, as it encourages completing multiple dungeon paths while allowing dungeon runners to play as many dungeons as they like when it’s convenient for them, rather than tying players to a daily reset. (4/19/16. source)

but by then the damage was done. some people have drifted back, but it’s nothing like it once was.

people saying dungeons are dead isn’t what kills them. denying the facts of what happened won’t bring them back

Druids of Dhuum [DoD]|Rally Bait [RALY]
~o hai there :D~ LONG LIVE ET

Posted by: flog.3485

flog.3485

More like “content is only good because I can turn off my brain”. Stacking in a corner and DPS the mobs down with powercreeped elite spec 1 (and 2 soon) is just not fun @STIHL

Posted by: Rennie.6750

Rennie.6750

You’re probably not missing anything. It’s a matter of taste.

Some players are into ‘twitch’ style gaming. They enjoy mechanically complex encounters and quickly become bored if they don’t feel a rush while playing. Most (if not all) of the highly skilled, seriously dedicated sort that the devs actually collaborate with fall into this category, thus going forward a lot of of the newer PvE content appears to have been designed with their preferences in mind.

There are still lots of others (like me) who really just want something moderately engaging to play with other people at a comfortable pace, but we aren’t the intended audience for fractals and raids.

For example: I really, really enjoyed T4 fractals when Necro was OP and instabilities were basically negligible. You could pug everything everyday with virtually guaranteed success. And for what it’s worth, the rewards were much more satisfying when the content was easier. But, others felt this level of difficulty was a ‘joke’ and so on, so they changed things to be legitimately challenging. So now the hardcore players are satisfied, but now I can hardly stand to bother with ’em.

They simply cannot please everyone, unfortunately.

Yep, and those of us who don’t like or can’t do twitch play are getting pushed out of the game, just to satisfy the elitist raiders, which is really sad.

No one is forcing you to do T4 fractals. No one is forcing you to raid (even less so now that there is alternative methods to gain legendary armor).

What you expect is the same amount of rewards for 0 effort. Fine, play open world pve or run dungeons, the rewards in some of those areas are huge too.

No one is pushing any one out of anything by adding challenging content. The fact that you can’t clear the content but still want the rewards is hardly the fault of the raiding crowd.

Putting words in my mouth. Nice. I don’t really care about rewards, nor did I mention them once – I just want to be able to play relaxing group content after a hard day of work, but since the new Raid-Fractals and Raids have pushed out Dungeons, there’s not much choice left.

If you don’t care about rewards and want to relax, T1 is your friend. The option’s there.

I don’t think it’s fair to say that the game is “catering to elitists”. Just like how you don’t like hard content, should Anet only release easy content when there are players who actually do want a challenge? I think the game would be pretty boring if everything can just be facerolled.

I’m not against hard content…I just hate the way Anet implements it, and how much of a vast departure it is from the original. I loved GW1, and was really good at it, and it’s awful to not be able to do certain content just because I don’t have an insanely good APM or reaction time, or because visual noise prevents me from reading enemy actions. When the game first came out, dungeons were the end game content, and it felt really nice to lead my friends through them. Nowadays I just sit around Queensdale and help new players since people like me are getting grandfathered out.

It’s not just you. I’m not visually impaired in any way but the amount of visual noise is really bothering me in most 5 man content. The game does need visual feedback to look cool, it’s just not helpful combat-wise when the boss turns into a giant disco ball with pretty much all particle effects stacked on it.

STIHL.2489

More like “content is only good because I can turn off my brain”. Stacking in a corner and DPS the mobs down with powercreeped elite spec 1 (and 2 soon) is just not fun @STIHL

More like “being stuck doing dungeons for the next hour and half” is not my idea of fun.

But don’t let my reasonable motives stop you from making all kinds of off the wall assumptions. None the less an above poster already explained with dev quotes what is exactly going on with dungeons, any other assumptions are wrong.

(edited by STIHL.2489)

Azoqu.8917

None the less an above poster already explained with dev quotes what is exactly going on with dungeons, any other assumptions are wrong.

Oh we know about the fact that Anet destroyed the rewards on purpose because they hated dungeons. But it is also a fact that rewards have been restored to be equivatent to how they were, so the arguement of dungeons are no rewarding is no longer true.

Posted by: Valik Shin.9027

Valik Shin.9027

How far back are you going? People haven’t done cof farm for like 4 years. And no they don’t offer as much reward as they have in the past. There was a time when you got the token box and at least 1g per explorable path

Valik Shin
Darkwood Legion [DARK]
Yak’s Bend

STIHL.2489

Oh we know about the fact that Anet destroyed the rewards on purpose because they hated dungeons.

Oh good, for a moment there I thought you were trying to say something as patently incorrect and overwhelming disproved as Anet was trying to make dungeons attractive.

Good to know we have this settled.

TexZero.7910

How far back are you going? People haven’t done cof farm for like 4 years. And no they don’t offer as much reward as they have in the past. There was a time when you got the token box and at least 1g per explorable path

Even during the 1g per path days people still ran CoF on farm, it was meant as a guidepost for the users in the room saying, that i have no clue. I’ve been around the block enough to know dungeons and the community, it’s farm habits and the dungeon tours and changes from the beginning till now.

Now is every bit as profitable than it ever was. People just refuse to acknowledge it or do dungeons now because they can’t farm the same paths ad-nasum and instead have to do atleast 2 unique dungeons a day. Couple that with people who patently spread misinformation about the economic returns and state of dungeons ….well you can see why we’re here now.

flog.3485

More like “being stuck doing dungeons for the next hour and half” is not my idea of fun.

But don’t let my reasonable motives stop you from making all kinds of off the wall assumptions. None the less an above poster already explained with dev quotes what is exactly going on with dungeons, any other assumptions are wrong.

I never denied the fact at some time, devs tried to push us away from doing dungeons. You can’t deny however that they reverted their stance of “making dungeon content worthless”. My point is, if dungeons became that easy and people likes/d doing this easy content, you shouldn’t be having that much gold you got back in the time simply because they developed more content that are labeled as endgame content as of today.

You basically complained earlier in the thread that they killed the “dungeon community”, in terms of LFG. And as I can understand (please correct me if I am wrong), you like what dungeons has been offering in the past. So now you are telling that you don’t like being stuck doing dungeons for an hour and a half. See the disconnect ?

Now for the topic at hand, I just can’t agree with with how dungeons are relevant in terms of story. Simply because, in my experience (of casual pug runner), I have absolutely no clue of what story is being told in dungeons. The most vivid recall I have of me doing dungeons can be summed up by this: stacking in a corner and DPS down a boss with an ice-bow (when it still brought OP damages) and the last time I tried to watch a cinematic, I just got kicked from the group (and ofc no I never joined group who said speedclear AP 5K+)

I have nothing against dungeons, really but please it would be cool to not have most of the encounters being easily trivialized with this tactic of luring a boss in a tiny corner. At least for the explorable paths.

STIHL.2489

I never denied the fact at some time, devs tried to push us away from doing dungeons. You can’t deny however that they reverted their stance of “making dungeon content worthless”. My point is, if dungeons became that easy and people likes/d doing this easy content, you shouldn’t be having that much gold you got back in the time simply because they developed more content that are labeled as endgame content as of today.

You basically complained earlier in the thread that they killed the “dungeon community”, in terms of LFG. And as I can understand (please correct me if I am wrong), you like what dungeons has been offering in the past. So now you are telling that you don’t like being stuck doing dungeons for an hour and a half. See the disconnect ?

Look, maybe you have several hour blocks of time to play so an hour and half does not feel like a dent in your play time, I don’t, if I am lucky I might an full hour to actually play, after being logged in for 2 hours, due to life distractions.

In that time I can try to get into a dungeon group that will be a solid one and half hour rush, which I will never be able to commit to, or I can join a daily fractal T3 group, and in 3o min, I get something like 9 boxes of loot, and whatever the actual encounter gave me.

Anet set out to make dungeon rewards unappealing, and they have done just that. Its not that I don’t like them, they are just not worth the time investment anymore. Doing them at this point in the game would be just for the giggles of it.. and the bugs and other problems.. ruin the whole “Doing it for the love of it”

They need a face-lift and some TLC, which is also something Anet will not be giving them. They are dead content.

Now for the topic at hand, I just can’t agree with with how dungeons are relevant in terms of story. Simply because, in my experience (of casual pug runner), I have absolutely no clue of what story is being told in dungeons.

Story Mode for all Dungeons coexists, continues, and expands upon your personal story and the reunion of Destiny’s Edge.

Each path after that, deals with the aftermath of the story mode. IE: In AC, after killing the Ghosts, They realized that the Ghosts had been keeping the Skelks at bay, and now you have to deal with the Skelk problem, which is a greater threat then the ghosts.

They all really do have a great story them.. pity all you learned was how to stack in a corner.

(edited by STIHL.2489)

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

You dont have to do 8 dif paths a day mate.
You can do one unique path every day for 8 days and get the 5g and 150 tokens btw

flog.3485

Look, maybe you have several hour blocks of time to play so an hour and half does not feel like a dent in your play time, I don’t, if I am lucky I might an full hour to actually play, after being logged in for 2 hours, due to life distractions.

In that time I can try to get into a dungeon group that will be a solid one and half hour rush, which I will never be able to commit to, or I can join a daily fractal T3 group, and in 3o min, I get something like 9 boxes of loot, and whatever the actual encounter gave me.

Anet set out to make dungeon rewards unappealing, and they have done just that. Its not that I don’t like them, they are just not worth the time investment anymore. Doing them at this point in the game would be just for the giggles of it.. and the bugs and other problems.. ruin the whole “Doing it for the love of it”

They need a face-lift and some TLC, which is also something Anet will not be giving them. They are dead content.

Now for the topic at hand, I just can’t agree with with how dungeons are relevant in terms of story. Simply because, in my experience (of casual pug runner), I have absolutely no clue of what story is being told in dungeons.

Story Mode for all Dungeons coexists, continues, and expands upon your personal story and the reunion of Destiny’s Edge.

Each path after that, deals with the aftermath of the story mode. IE: In AC, after killing the Ghosts, They realized that the Ghosts had been keeping the Skelks at bay, and now you have to deal with the Skelk problem, which is a greater threat then the ghosts.

They all really do have a great story them.. pity all you learned was how to stack in a corner.

One hour and half to play at best ? That’s hard to handle. If I were in your situation, I would just quit playing games altogether.

I wanted to create a more elaborated response to you, but Linken was faster. So yeah no need to do these dungeons in one day.

STIHL.2489

One hour and half to play at best ? That’s hard to handle. If I were in your situation, I would just quit playing games altogether.

Honestly, I cam’t imagine a life so devoid of family and activity that an hour and half seems like such an insignificant bit of time that it would not be worth trying to do anything with it, while here I am thinking that if I can get 30 mins to escape and play I won something.

Posted by: SaraGreen.2345

SaraGreen.2345

Fractals are too short and tell no real story. I think fractals are great for those with little time. But other options should exist.

Dungeons were great.

I do wonder why fractals were never made longer not all of them of course but some.

To me dungeons feel alive the changing paths a story is told they are much better then fractals.

Why has gw2 just not made a mega dungeon that evolves changing paths bosses ect at random even random final boss. Gliding across cliffs using new mount mechanics. It would feel like a true adventure the player needs to figure out. It could even have areas you needed to do a jumping puzzle or two to find hidden bosses. Sure it would be the size of a zone but man would it be fun to get lost in.

It really wouldn’t be about completing it just letting you go explore just make it to where all bosses need to be killed before final boss can be gotten too.

The possibilitys are endless with a mega dungeon and that’s whats exciting.

(edited by SaraGreen.2345)

Posted by: Strages.2950

Strages.2950

Honestly, I cam’t imagine a life so devoid of family and activity that an hour and half seems like such an insignificant bit of time that it would not be worth trying to do anything with it, while here I am thinking that if I can get 30 mins to escape and play I won something.

I think you missed the sarcasm.

What they’re saying is that you dont need to do all 8 fractals in a day, you can do one a day for 8 days which is enough to get the final reward as its a repeatable achievement (not a daily).

I used to be a dungeon player and I geared up all my toons by doing dungeons back in the day. I also got most of my gold from them (CoF farm in particular). When the economic nerf came most people left dungeons, and when they rectified it, the damage was already done (in spite of rewards being pretty decent now). A shame indeed.

I used to vow never to do fractals; hell I didnt even want to craft ascendeds (legendaries were a joke to me). I did, however, start doing fractals on my zerker ele. It took a while to learn the mechanics, and I died a LOT (particularly cause of my class and build). Once I realized that I could gear up to ascended with fractals, I started doing the dailies everyday. Also the gold is quite good for the amount of time spent inside.

Eventually, I worked my way up to level 100, learned the encounters to the point where this so called “twitch play” sounds ridiculous to me. Yes, you have to pay attention, but reaction time in all fractal encounters is quite forgiving once you know the tells. This “turning your head off” phenomenon described in this thread is what happens to me when I do fractals.

I urge people to be patient with this; there’s plenty of wikis, youtube guides, and helpful community members who will explain and guide you through any particular encounter. Do your research.

Things to know:

T4 pug groups are, in general, very proficient. Moreso than lower tier groups and are rarely elitist. All fractal daily combinations can be done in under 45 miutes with a decent group.

You’ll identify the elitist groups because they require pots and food in their LFG. These are usually the ‘speed runner’ groups that want to finish dailies in 30 mins or less.

T3 is the hardest tier imo, a lot of pug groups still havent perfected mechanics and the Last Laugh instability is just sadistic. It might take you a while to get through this tier, especially if you dont have friends who can carry you to T4.

If you are having trouble identifying tells, lower the animations to minimum in your graphics settings for a bit less clutter. Once you know the tells, you can push them back up.

If you’re color blind, you can use overlays such as Reshade 3.0 (look into GW2 Hook, search Woodenpotatoes recent video on Youtube) that can tweak the color scheme of GW2 allowing for more contrast on those red rings.

TL:DR – Yes its a shame dungeon community died out due the (brief) reward nerf. Yes fractals are harder until you learn the mechanics; do your research and be patient with yourself. Visual clutter can be reduced by reducing animations in settings, color blind people can help themselves by looking into Reshade to tweak the game’s color combinations.