going beyond the AR +25 threshold?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: LemurTron.9261

LemurTron.9261

Relative to getting to +25, the jump to +30 seems extreme with the 250 ecto cost. I’m curious as to:
1) why this is so expensive? like.. couldn’t they just have made it 50 or so
2) Is there a tangible ROI on it at present? Or are people that do it just doing it either because ‘they can’ and/or expect the extra back piece ARs to be necessary when future ascended pieces are introduced?

Perhaps some professions “require” more AR at higher levels (40+) than others as well?

Posted by: laharl.8435

laharl.8435

1) Ascended is supposed to a tier above Exotic, something like the armor equivalent of Legendaries (when they get buffed). In that light, the expense makes sense.

2) A tangible ROI will be subjective. But every +5 AR makes a noticeable difference. +30 AR isn’t enough for the higher level fractal runners.

LemurTron.9261

1) Ascended is supposed to a tier above Exotic, something like the armor equivalent of Legendaries (when they get buffed). In that light, the expense makes sense.

The expense doesn’t make sense presently, though. You can obtain the stat benefit from the rings and backpiece without dropping 250 ectos.

2) A tangible ROI will be subjective. But every +5 AR makes a noticeable difference. +30 AR isn’t enough for the higher level fractal runners.

i’ve seen a mesmer do fotm 49 with only 15 AR. Granted:
a) he is awesome
and
b) his party works very well together and the sum is greater than its parts

But blanket statements don’t always apply as far as x AR needed for x level xD

laharl.8435

I agree it is quite a price hike compared to other to other +5’s. Guess I’m just looking at it as if you want the max AR, you’re gonna have to pay out the kitten for it.

As to better try to answer your 2nd question from my point of view without a blanket statement. I think people are going full +30 because a) they can, and b) it is very helpful.

People actually jump through all the crazy hoops to obtain a Legendary which at present has absolutely no affect on gameplay. So it doesn’t surprise me that people will pay a ridiculous amount for something that actually does affect gameplay.

Posted by: Humposaurus.5764

Humposaurus.5764

Don’t go beyond 25 AR. At lvl 40+ it doesn’t matter if you have 30 AR or 0 you will die..

Posted by: Tulisin.6945

Tulisin.6945

Don’t go beyond 25 AR. At lvl 40+ it doesn’t matter if you have 30 AR or 0 you will die..

Because >40 isn’t even balanced for gear that currently exists. Neither the rewards nor the equipment to tackle them at a level of intended difficulty exist. They’re doable as a novelty and personal challenge.

If you’re just in it for the stat progression, stop at +25 AR and wait for them to release more Ascended slots, that final +5 will always be there and will likely to be more difficult to get than anything in the next +25 AR of progression (likely more jewelry, but maybe we’ll see armor).

Posted by: Humposaurus.5764

Humposaurus.5764

^ Lol Looks like you haven’t been to 40+ yet. Let me tell you something, it is worth it to go 40+, the drops from the chests cover up the costs of the revive orbs and you’ll make ~8-10g a run.

Yesterday the maw chest dropped 2 exotics and 4 rares on top of the 5 exotics and 8 rares I already found during the run. So ye…. it is definetly worth going there.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

^ Lol Looks like you haven’t been to 40+ yet. Let me tell you something, it is worth it to go 40+, the drops from the chests cover up the costs of the revive orbs and you’ll make ~8-10g a run.

Yesterday the maw chest dropped 2 exotics and 4 rares on top of the 5 exotics and 8 rares I already found during the run. So ye…. it is definetly worth going there.

but exotics are account bound >.< so you need 4 exotic to get one non bound

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

laharl.8435

Not all are soulbound. But when they are you just salvage for ectos and sell the rune, easy profit.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

Not all are soulbound. But when they are you just salvage for ectos and sell the rune, easy profit.

yeah i got one armor and sold for 11 G in fractal 6 ._.

But usually i get exotics without sigils and acountbound (with norn cultural skin or karma skin in case of armors) so basically almost worthless…
I just keep them so when i have 4 i put them in the forge….

Salvaging is really costly lately (see gem cost).

For that i wonder also, if the only thing i want is a fractal skin, its better to stick to 20 or go 26+ …..

Any idea?

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

laharl.8435

yeah i got one armor and sold for 11 G in fractal 6 ._.

But usually i get exotics without sigils and acountbound (with norn cultural skin or karma skin in case of armors) so basically almost worthless…
I just keep them so when i have 4 i put them in the forge….

Salvaging is really costly lately (see gem cost).

For that i wonder also, if the only thing i want is a fractal skin, its better to stick to 20 or go 26+ …..

Any idea?

I honestly don’t know, I would just assume the higher, the better.

11g is nice. I’ve had 2 that sold for over 4 g, plus I seem to get tons of cores.

Posted by: Sina.9208

Sina.9208

2) Is there a tangible ROI on it at present? Or are people that do it just doing it either because ‘they can’ and/or expect the extra back piece ARs to be necessary when future ascended pieces are introduced?

Perhaps some professions “require” more AR at higher levels (40+) than others as well?

The difference is there. On lvl 3x Maw with 25 agony resistance u will get downed and with 30 if u heal yourself you can survive without being downed, thus you can start rezzing right away. This is very significant if everyone but you dies and if u get the skull while downed u cannot do anything about it..

Posted by: Spifnar.4712

Spifnar.4712

Some of the exotics from Fractals are worth using for the unique stats. For example, the tough/pow/crit damage rifle I got last night. I don’t think there’s any other source of that stat combo.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

its like 60g+ for a +5 number to your back pack, a simple +5 number lol what a nice idea.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

laharl.8435

its like 60g+ for a +5 number to your back pack, a simple +5 number lol what a nice idea.

It’s waaaaayyy more than that for a Legendary with a +0.

Posted by: supac.7253

supac.7253

actually, they are going to buff legendaries to ascended+ status in a later patch

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

not only this will change but you’re getting a shiny skin… what do you get from spending 60g+ on a backpack? nothing else but seeing your weapon/armor clipping with it.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

LemurTron.9261

The difference is there. On lvl 3x Maw with 25 agony resistance u will get downed and with 30 if u heal yourself you can survive without being downed, thus you can start rezzing right away. This is very significant if everyone but you dies and if u get the skull while downed u cannot do anything about it..

I see. Hmm, I wonder what percentage of players are running with AR 25 at fotm 30 vs ones with AR 30+?

Per this link http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Agony, I wouldn’t think AR 25 would be an instadown at Maw, but then again I don’t know how many ticks he’s throwing..

laharl.8435

not only this will change but you’re getting a shiny skin… what do you get from spending 60g+ on a backpack? nothing else but seeing your weapon/armor clipping with it.

I realise Legendaries will be buffed, but people have still been getting them long before they knew that.

I agree that it’s expensive, but the +5 AR is noticeable. More noticeable than what the Ascended stats provide over Exotic. Probably more noticeable than what the extra stats on buffed Legendaries will as well.

(edited by laharl.8435)

Posted by: Koga.7215

Koga.7215

my question is, what else are you going to use that gold to do? unless your really saving for a legendary its easy to come up with the cash to infuse the back in a few weeks.

did I need to spend ~85 gold for my quiver + infused? no, but what else was I going to do with the cash i made in the last 2 weeks? i don’t want a commander title and have all exotics for every slot on both my toons, so why not make it.

laharl.8435

my question is, what else are you going to use that gold to do? unless your really saving for a legendary its easy to come up with the cash to infuse the back in a few weeks.

did I need to spend ~85 gold for my quiver + infused? no, but what else was I going to do with the cash i made in the last 2 weeks? i don’t want a commander title and have all exotics for every slot on both my toons, so why not make it.

My sentiments exactly. If you have the gold, full Exotics and do fractals, it’s a no brainer. 60G is a drop in the bucket toward your Legendary. Might as well make your fractal grinding that much easier.

LemurTron.9261

my question is, what else are you going to use that gold to do?

anything but pointlessly throwing it into the wind