guardian vs elementalist

guardian vs elementalist

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Ledddawe.8964

Ledddawe.8964

what do u think kill faster or its betetr for farming materials out of dungeon like in cursed shore i wanan get some character for fast farming saw some vids where guardian with scepter/torch is pretty fast but have ele 80 and with staff or s/f its fast too but really squishianyone can help me ? + is war betetr ik HB rock but i saw guardian killing mobs in cursed shoree under 3 sec with S/T and he wasnt full buffed idk if war can do that ?

guardian vs elementalist

Posted by: dutchiez.7502

dutchiez.7502

wot

Nova [rT]

guardian vs elementalist

Posted by: Spoj The Second.7680

Spoj The Second.7680

o.o

Scepter torch guard. What has been seen cannot be unseen.

To answer question if this post is serious, Ele is better.

guardian vs elementalist

Posted by: Ledddawe.8964

Ledddawe.8964

well i think this for real what is fastest guard or ele ? and what spec ? thx and im not some kind of troll only unexperienced player

guardian vs elementalist

Posted by: Slither Shade.4782

Slither Shade.4782

What do you think kills faster or is better for farming materials out of the cursed shore dungeon. Is it guard or ele? I already have a level 80 ele but have wondered if a guard would be better after watching a video of guard killing cursed shore mobs in under three seconds.

Presently I am using my ele with staff or s/f which kills them pretty quick but I find that I am very squishy. I am already of the opinion that hambow warrior rocks but would like to know if any of you think I should abandon both ele and guard and instead level a warrior to do the farming I want.

Somebody please advise this player. Spoj The Second already stated ele is better in an above post.

guardian vs elementalist

Posted by: Casmurro.9046

Casmurro.9046

Warriors can farm pretty fast, and they are very tanky even in full dps spec, and they have easy access to swiftness and they can rush a lot using greatsword skills #3 and #5. But guardian is good too.

guardian vs elementalist

Posted by: layzoe.6035

layzoe.6035

Only thing about guard is that there isn’t a lot of swiftness boons so you are slow which I would think would matter if you are farming mats. Warriors at least have the warhorn that has a low cooldown. For pure farming, I think warrior would be better for the heavy class. It has much higher health pool than the guardian too.

guardian vs elementalist

Posted by: Agony.3542

Agony.3542

RIP game 2012-2014

guardian vs elementalist

Posted by: joey the creator.3587

joey the creator.3587

saw some vids where guardian with scepter/torch is pretty fast

Oh jesus, this Video is one of Nemesis’s SMITE YOU DOWN videos, it’s not the best dps for guardians in dungeons but go for ele if you want more dps anyway:D

Quit gw2. Casually play gw1 when I have spare time.

guardian vs elementalist

Posted by: Charming Rogue.8071

Charming Rogue.8071

Ele is the number 1 DPS class in the game. Even without the broken Blink rush with fiery great sword.

So Ele, without a doubt.

Desolation – EU – [KING] – Immortal Kingdom

guardian vs elementalist

Posted by: linuxotaku.4731

linuxotaku.4731

I have both ele and guardian — my main was ele first, then guardian.

Elementalist definitely wins for DPS, and has good utility — but is very squishy. I like being able to help folks in PUGs, and guardian is marginally better for that given how I play.

Guardian fully speced for DPS isn’t bad — and will win in places where you can use reflects — but in general DPS will be lower than Ele.

For farming open world PvE, guardian with staff is pretty efficient (staff is not a DPS weapon for Guardian — don’t use it for bosses in dungeons — but it’s good enough to tag mobs if you’re in a zerg). I use Traveler’s Runes, so mobility isn’t so bad. But ele also works…

guardian vs elementalist

Posted by: domness.6719

domness.6719

Only thing about guard is that there isn’t a lot of swiftness boons so you are slow which I would think would matter if you are farming mats. Warriors at least have the warhorn that has a low cooldown. For pure farming, I think warrior would be better for the heavy class. It has much higher health pool than the guardian too.

There’s 3 swiftness boons if I recall correctly, meaning that you can have swiftness like 80% of the time.

I do most of my farming with my guardian, only because it’s got all the waypoints. I mainly use greatsword for clearing mobs. And sword/focus for single target or up to 3-4 foes. The blink is pretty cool, plus the blinds help reduce incomings (and the focus #5 skill for extra blocking)

[OP] Optimise

guardian vs elementalist

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

many groups won t start without a guardian

Nobody will care if there is an ele or not.

Also if you get a bad party with an ele you will wipe the floor, (and no its not skill related…) if you get a bad party with a guardian you can carry them.
(even if the guardian is bad you will die)

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

guardian vs elementalist

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

So you want them to balance based on PuG’s, which were initially not even meant to be able completing a dungeon?
Fact is, in any speedrun for any dungeon, there should be at very least 1 elementalist, usually 2 and ocassionally 3. Another fact is, in any speedrun for any dungeon, you will not use more than 1 guardian, often not even one.

Elementalists deal the most damage in the game and improve the parties dps the most. By the time a good guardian carried a bad group through the dungeon, an excellent elementalist would have already been done solo’ing it.

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

guardian vs elementalist

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

Dub aside you seem really aggressive on your comment and that is not good for a discussion…….

Most of your assumption are quite wrong…*
Finally i should say that soloing build are different from speedrun builds.
You don t go in a speedrun Group with sigil of energy and stuff like that.

A pug Group can be coordinated….and dungeon wer meant for coordinated groups if you want the exact wording.

But once more i suggest OP to just look at LFG in game tool…for all dungeons.
That could give the answer…

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

guardian vs elementalist

layzoe.6035

The optimal coordinated groups include few Elementalists…

The pugs prefer guardians but lately I have seen no guards probably due to staff parking, no reflecting guards who wear clerics and run AH builds.

Also, if you decide to run a zerker guard, you would be as squishy as an elementalist. Maybe a little more toughness due to the heavy armor but not that much.

Personally, I would pick based upon your play style and what you prefer. Elementalist has like 4 different panels to play with.. it’s like piano playing as some players have mentioned. Guards, I do think you have to use strategy which is what appeals to me.

But right now Eles ftw.. it’s a hot class atm. That may change in the future..

guardian vs elementalist

layzoe.6035

There’s 3 swiftness boons if I recall correctly, meaning that you can have swiftness like 80% of the time.

I do most of my farming with my guardian, only because it’s got all the waypoints. I mainly use greatsword for clearing mobs. And sword/focus for single target or up to 3-4 foes. The blink is pretty cool, plus the blinds help reduce incomings (and the focus #5 skill for extra blocking)

Oh really.. can you tell me which ones.. because I only know of one.. the retreat.. most of the time I am banging my head against my desk because she’s too slow.

Blink? Are you talking about sword 2 and Judges Intervention because blink is a mesmer utility.

guardian vs elementalist

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

I sigh to myself every time I see a Gandalf in my parties.

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

guardian vs elementalist

Posted by: adam.8692

adam.8692

Guardian or ele? You can’t go wrong with engineer.

guardian vs elementalist

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

Lel engi. Only reason I play mine is in pvp to try to get the champion genius title that I’ll never get cause I hate pvp. But god that title….

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

guardian vs elementalist

layzoe.6035

My best friend plays an Engi, sadly.. he doesn’t play GW2 anymore.. anyways, we used to do dungeons together when he was.. and he never died. Although he’s an above average player who’s an avid gamer. I wouldn’t say it’s a best class for dungeons though. He is a pvp-er and that’s where Engi’s supposedly shined. Could literally one-shot other players or so he said.

(edited by layzoe.6035)

guardian vs elementalist

Posted by: Silferas.3841

Silferas.3841

Farming solitary mobs or farming 1 by 1: thief (cnd → backstab → aa, repeat)
Farming in AoE: guardian (eles can’t survive having a group of mobs bashing on them and lack a pull skill for ranged enemies). Warrior works too.
Zerg: staff ele or staff guardian

Dungeon speedruns with regular experienced group: ele
Dungeon speedruns without a full, or experienced, or regular group: guardian

You will grow to hate ele as a class if you don’t have good players around yourself. With ele it’s either burst the boss down so fast it doesn’t have time to hurt you, have your teammates protect you and kill the boss as your defenses are running out or examine boss’ footprints very, veeeery closely.

On the other hand a well played guardian can turn a nightmare into rainbow filled dream walk. There is not a single class in this game that can make as much of a difference for a team if played right as a guardian can. Sure, guardian is not the optimal choice for a number of dungeons at this point in time, but let me give you a few facts that may change your opinion:
- guardians already have low critical damage, yet their DPS isn’t bad at all (if you leave FGS out of the game, with it even thief dps looks bad). It can be speculated that guardian DPS will be hurt the least by the upcoming ferocity changes, seeing as their reliance on critical damage is already pretty low, which could move guardian DPS up a tier or two.
- guardians are not taken in top speedruns/dungeon guilds because people in those don’t really need the extra defenses, as they know the tells and can dodge accordingly. That’s however not a question of “trying”. We aren’t talking about mere gear selection and learning of several dungeon strategies. We are talking about long time dungeon running experience and skill, things that don’t come cheap. For any other, “lesser” party, guardian can still offer a lot.
- I wouldn’t want to run fractals 49+ without a guardian. I’d rather have 3 guardians than 3 eles if I could only pick 1 of the 2.

[Path] of the Immortals – a guild for veterans – Join us
[S]illy [L]ittle [U]gly [T]rolls – our little dungeon forum community
“My mind has left, my body follows”

guardian vs elementalist

layzoe.6035

The thing is that it is much easier to play a guardian terribly than an elementalist. You can see it in the guardian forum. Most still believe in dungeons and fractals, that guardian healing power with AH is the way to go.. even when told otherwise. They even counter-argue it, believing in their healing power and tanking is enough to bring to any group.

I rarely see a good guard in pugs. Lately, I have been on my mesmer so I get to see how other guardians play. Most don’t even use Wall of Reflection, even when I ask a guardian to use it.. they don’t. They don’t spam F1 nor use any utilities that help the group.. I rarely see a guard that uses a gs/s-f. Sometimes, I have to relog on my guardian because the one we have in our group is utterly useless. When played well and with some thought, the guardian can make the run seem effortless.. but most that I have seen slow the group down. Meanwhile, they think they are carrying the group with their uber heal and tankiness.

guardian vs elementalist

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

Oh really.. can you tell me which ones.. because I only know of one.. the retreat.. most of the time I am banging my head against my desk because she’s too slow.

Blink? Are you talking about sword 2 and Judges Intervention because blink is a mesmer utility.

Save Yourselves, Retreat, then the Symbol on staff 3 are the ones they’re probably talking about. The blink he’s probably talking about is sword 2… blink being a general term that’s become synonymous with teleport. When trying to cross country quickly as guardian you can (in addition to SY, Retreat, and staff 3) use the gswd leap, and you can use sword2 if you target something far away enough.

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

guardian vs elementalist

Posted by: IrisTheCasual.3742

IrisTheCasual.3742

Good guardians in Iris’ book in ascending order of excellent/rarity:
(The more point you earn, the better you’ll feel about your guardian!)

• not a Yolo!
  • don’t use staff as a DPS weapon
  • know when to swap what utility skills
  • have more than 2 weapon sets and more than an armor set
  • can make every skips
  • melee almost everything
  • stack might (not gonna debate about the staff#4)
  • well timed use of reflection
  • well timed use of stability
  • well timed use of condi cleanse on your group
  • use blind on enemy
  • have a good DPS (seeing it from an ele’s POV)
  • communicate with the group
  • well timed use of pull and crowd control
  • well timed use of aegis
  • know when, where and how to (single-handedly) revive downed allies

Those are from the top of my head, based on my daily observation.

(edited by IrisTheCasual.3742)

guardian vs elementalist

Spoj The Second.7680

And those are just the basics.

guardian vs elementalist

Posted by: IrisTheCasual.3742

IrisTheCasual.3742

It’s actually difficult to master all the basics and make it a noticeable difference :P

Especially for the aegis. Like, I have known only 2-3 guardians who give me absolute joy to play with.

guardian vs elementalist

layzoe.6035

It’s actually difficult to master all the basics and make it a noticeable difference :P

Especially for the aegis. Like, I have known only 2-3 guardians who give me absolute joy to play with.

So true… I am not there yet.. playing a guardian is a tall order to fill.. People expect so much from a guardian. The aegis at right time is a tough one for me.. I am still learning that one.. also might stacking? And skipping trash mobs.. lolololol.. oh dear, I have stories with that one in Arah.

Wow.. you guys are a tough crowd to please.

guardian vs elementalist

Lilith Ajit.6173

So true… I am not there yet.. playing a guardian is a tall order to fill.. People expect so much from a guardian. The aegis at right time is a tough one for me.. I am still learning that one.. also might stacking? And skipping trash mobs.. lolololol.. oh dear, I have stories with that one in Arah.

If you have the fashion sense of Wethospu, that’s the only time I get displeased.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?

guardian vs elementalist

Spoj The Second.7680

If you have the fashion sense of Wethospu, that’s the only time I get displeased.

:O

guardian vs elementalist

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

Dub aside you seem really aggressive on your comment and that is not good for a discussion…….

Most of your assumption are quite wrong…*
Finally i should say that soloing build are different from speedrun builds.
You don t go in a speedrun Group with sigil of energy and stuff like that.

A pug Group can be coordinated….and dungeon wer meant for coordinated groups if you want the exact wording.

But once more i suggest OP to just look at LFG in game tool…for all dungeons.
That could give the answer…

Would you mind showing what part of my comment was aggressive?
Also, please, prove any of my assumptions wrong. How can a pick up group out of randoms be as coordinated as a pre-set 5 player team? I don’t see that being possible, it would basically require weeks of preparation before even setting a step into the dungeon, thus it won’t really be a pug anymore.
Solo’ing builds might be slightly different from speedrun builds. Usually the only difference is the missing energy sigil, which I don’t use on guardians and ele’s anyway.
And solo’ing a dungeon with having four leechers is just as much carrying, if not more, than a guardian who keeps them alive with aegis and reflects. Yet the ele is usually faster.

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

guardian vs elementalist

layzoe.6035

I am a total girl in that way I have 4 sets of armor on my guard… and the panda hat for town clothing. I would have gotten more town clothing if it was available. I spend more money on dyes, clothing, and hair style change than I do on anything else.

guardian vs elementalist

Lilith Ajit.6173

I am a total girl in that way I have 4 sets of armor on my guard… and the panda hat for town clothing. I would have gotten more town clothing if it was available. I spend more money on dyes, clothing, and hair style change than I do on anything else.

O.o are you an actual girl or was that a… Never mind.

I enjoy fashion, but not because I’m a girl, but because that’s the real guild wars 2 endgame. Hehe.

[ARES]

guardian vs elementalist

layzoe.6035

O.o are you an actual girl or was that a… Never mind.

I enjoy fashion, but not because I’m a girl, but because that’s the real guild wars 2 endgame. Hehe.

Ahahahah yes I am a female gamer. I shouldn’t say girl but you know what I mean. Ah, I thought Legendaries was the endgame.. I just enjoy fashion period.

Aaand we totally derailed this thread.. Sorry op.

guardian vs elementalist

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

Oh wait, I thought I was in the discussion thread. Welp.

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

guardian vs elementalist

Posted by: linuxotaku.4731

linuxotaku.4731

The optimal coordinated groups include few Elementalists…

The pugs prefer guardians but lately I have seen no guards probably due to staff parking, no reflecting guards who wear clerics and run AH builds.

Also, if you decide to run a zerker guard, you would be as squishy as an elementalist. Maybe a little more toughness due to the heavy armor but not that much.

Personally, I would pick based upon your play style and what you prefer. Elementalist has like 4 different panels to play with.. it’s like piano playing as some players have mentioned. Guards, I do think you have to use strategy which is what appeals to me.

But right now Eles ftw.. it’s a hot class atm. That may change in the future..

I run pure zerker for my ele, and either celestial / zerker or pure zerker for my guard (depending on the group). The guard is a little less squishy because earth/water atunements are less likely to save you from being 1-shotted when you’re stunned or knocked down, and the Ele defensive arcane skills have long CDs. That said, if you find ele squishy, you’ll also find DPS guard squishy.

In terms of raw DPS though … I just saw this video, and I think comparing this with the 5 guardian Lupi kill in 37s illustrates why Ele wins if your criteria is just DPS:

3 Ele 1 Ranger (spotter + frost spirit) 1 Warrior (banners + empower allies). The Ele’s role: fury/might stacking to max, FGS summons, ice bow summons → Lupi dies in 7.1s. (!)

I had no part in that, and wouldn’t claim to be that effective with any of these classes — it’s just fun to watch.

I find Guard makes it a marginally easier to carry a mediocre PUG, and I find Guard a lot more fun in sPvP (meditations/burst) — but if you already have an Ele at 80, I’d encourage you to see if you can make it work before switching to another class.

(I do like Sw/T for DPS, esp. in open world where I’m less sure of constant burning for all my targets without the AoE burning from torch4. But it’s usually not optimal for bosses — there is usually more than enough burning.)

guardian vs elementalist

Posted by: Alilinke.7690

Alilinke.7690

Most pug groups wont even start without a guardian, and don’t really care if there’s an ele or not, however I prefer taking ele pugs over guardians.

For whatever reason, a lot of guardians seem to think they don’t have to contribute to DPS and sit there with PVT gear “tanking” everything. Not to mention they keep spamming unnecessary light fields over fire fields, ruining might/fury stacking. Nothing ticks me off more than seeing “Area Retaliation” pop up on my screen. >.>

This is probably a little biased since I main ele :P

[nA] Professional Guild Hall Decorator

guardian vs elementalist

Posted by: Esmee.1067

Esmee.1067

In a balanced group most classes (definitly those mentioned by the OP) will perform equally on the DPS they deal, but are set apart in a solo envoirment and playstyle:

Elementalist: Squishy (Low HP and Armor,) high Might/Fury → high DPS if alone. Special mention: Fiercy Greatsword vs a wall is most likely the highest DPS in-game.
Guardian: Less Squishy (low HP, high Armor,) and very survivable alone due to Reflects/Aegis/Blind/Condi Removal (which you provide for the whole group, making you one of the squishier people in the team.)
Special mention: Staff 1 + F1 make Open-world tagging extremely easy.
Warrior: Bulky (high HP, high Armor,) high DPS-support through might/fury/banners → High DPS and High survivability when alone.

The OP seems to be talking about Openworld farming rather than Dungeons in which I’d say Guardian is what he’s looking for, though anything else works. . For Dungeons, anything else, though Warrior is what you’re looking for is you dislike being squishy. Thank you Slither Shade.4782 for the translation of the OP