how do people solo old tom(fotm50)?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

i managed to get pass the 4 champ using bear bow, not that I’m proud of but got stuck on old tom.

I saw a couple of video of people soloing, one is with theif just standing in the middle of old tom and spam pistol whip.(does it still work)?

And another is a really skilled engineer. I doubt I’ll ever be able to do that.

Any other people experienced with it and can give some pointer? Maybe use healing gear ? since the poison is too much?

Posted by: SlyDevil.3952

SlyDevil.3952

You can safe spot is poison spin by standing in the middle of his hitbox or by standing on the diagonal edges of the doorway type things. As long as you run the crystals on s/w or GS you should probably be able to turn on the fan fast enough. The big question is whether you have enough dps to not run out of crystals. And remember to dodge his fist/lightning attack and swap pets so they don’t get put on a long swap cd. I think he’s inquest as well if you need a slaying potion.

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Is this the engineer you mentioned OP?

As far as I am aware it’s the only actual video up of it. I tried it a year-ish ago with warrior and wasn’t able to do it but I may try again in the future.

With a ranger, I am not entirely sure what I can advise but I would suggest trying something similar to what you see Element do in his video. You will definitely want to find a way to sustain the poison damage while you’re running around turning on the fan and heal up in between, but you also need to make sure that you are always keeping an eye on the attacks Old Tom does because one mistake and you’re pretty much guaranteed to die (at least on level 50).

(edited by Purple Miku.7032)

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

use bears so they can facetank the bolts and dps tom with sword.
idk if u can outheal the poison, i really dont think so.

Posted by: Evapor.6849

Evapor.6849

thiefs can with that lifesteal trait

Posted by: otome.2673

otome.2673

Did you tried Nomad stats already?

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

>>did you
>>tried

Attachments:

Posted by: Bawi.9541

Bawi.9541

did you tried though?

Ele / Guardian

Posted by: IllegalChocolate.6938

IllegalChocolate.6938

There’s a couple ways to do this depending on your profession of choice. When doing legit (legit as in aggroing first before setting up crystals and no safe spotting) I personally prefer running condi builds to pad damage in between running crystals, initially can get quite dicey but exciting at the same time. Always try to budget defenses for his punch and his projectile that have huge telegraphs. Consider placing additional crystals ahead of time so you dont have to do as much traveling when poison comes back up. The biggest challenge you may come across is just maintaining your dps rotation while doing crystals(this is why I personally prefer having some form of condition damage) but otherwise think about packing a mobility skill so you can get fan up faster(I pack rocket shoes on engie, wurm on necro, portal on mesmer, only ever did it on those 3 but the choice is yours).

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

Thanks for all the reply. I’ll give it a try some time later.

Haven’t have a chance to try again, since was mostly farming pristine relics recently on alt account incase Anet nerf it.