legendary armor

legendary armor

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

You make a good argument in the first paragraph, then derail it in the second. Raids do lock out players who don’t want to raid.

“don’t want to” isn’t a lock out. It’s a purely voluntary choice. Any player who wants the legendary armor in this game has the power to attain it.

Of course “don’t want to” is a lock out, because players who don’t want to play that mode are locked out of that reward entirely. You were the one that raised the analogy of the Ferrari, and how anyone who was willing to work for it could earn it. I was merely pointing out that people can “work for it and earn it” in any of a thousand different ways, taking all sorts of different time, skill level, and luck to achieve.

That’s all anyone is asking for here, alternative methods, ways that DON’T involve raiding of earning the armor, so that if you don’t want to become a doctor, but still want to get a Ferrari, you could be a lawyer instead, or you could be a plumber, and it might take you longer, but you could still get there.

If the player voluntarily chooses to never leave their safe zone then they should accept the limitations that they self imposed on themselves.

Why? Why shouldn’t they ask for changes that would improve the game for them? Raiding wouldn’t make them happy, so who would benefit from them raiding? Why should that choice be rewarded, or punished?

Leaving comfort zones and trying out new game modes is something that should be incentivized whenever possible.

You are conflating “trying” with “playing for hundreds of hours.” The two have nothing to do with each other. I agree with you that players should be encouraged to TRY things outside their comfort zone, to spend a reasonable amount of time attempting various activities, but if they do try them, and genuinely feel that these activities are not something they enjoy doing, then they should never be punished for not wanting to continue doing them.

Sure, have rewards that require you to TRY specific activities that might be outside of people’s comfort zones, but then respect the choices they make afterwards, and allow them to do something else instead for the same eventually reward if they decide that this new content is not something they enjoy.

You seem to enjoy raiding, and want to continue doing it. Not everyone is the same as you, not everyone will ever enjoy raiding, no matter how much or how little time they spend on it. They deserve to be happy just as much as you do. You continue raiding, allow them to do something else, and don’t insist on withholding things from them just because they don’t enjoy playing the same content you do.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

legendary armor

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I don’t think the ‘ask’ for alternatives makes sense. This has been discussed ad infinitum already. If the best reason you can give for an alternative method is “because don’t want to do something”, then why would it make sense for Anet to offer another alternative to get it that doesn’t guarantee they won’t get the same reason?

In otherwords, if people simply don’t want to do one specific thing #1 to get an item, why would Anet make that item available with any other specific thing knowing they will get the same complaint? That’s assuming (reasonably) the game doesn’t cater to everyone’s exact whim. That’s simply a problem they can’t solve.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

legendary armor

Posted by: Fatalyz.7168

Fatalyz.7168

You make a good argument in the first paragraph, then derail it in the second. Raids do lock out players who don’t want to raid.

“don’t want to” isn’t a lock out. It’s a purely voluntary choice. Any player who wants the legendary armor in this game has the power to attain it.

Of course “don’t want to” is a lock out, because players who don’t want to play that mode are locked out of that reward entirely. You were the one that raised the analogy of the Ferrari, and how anyone who was willing to work for it could earn it. I was merely pointing out that people can “work for it and earn it” in any of a thousand different ways, taking all sorts of different time, skill level, and luck to achieve.

That’s all anyone is asking for here, alternative methods, ways that DON’T involve raiding of earning the armor, so that if you don’t want to become a doctor, but still want to get a Ferrari, you could be a lawyer instead, or you could be a plumber, and it might take you longer, but you could still get there.

If the player voluntarily chooses to never leave their safe zone then they should accept the limitations that they self imposed on themselves.

Why? Why shouldn’t they ask for changes that would improve the game for them? Raiding wouldn’t make them happy, so who would benefit from them raiding? Why should that choice be rewarded, or punished?

Leaving comfort zones and trying out new game modes is something that should be incentivized whenever possible.

You are conflating “trying” with “playing for hundreds of hours.” The two have nothing to do with each other. I agree with you that players should be encouraged to TRY things outside their comfort zone, to spend a reasonable amount of time attempting various activities, but if they do try them, and genuinely feel that these activities are not something they enjoy doing, then they should never be punished for not wanting to continue doing them.

Sure, have rewards that require you to TRY specific activities that might be outside of people’s comfort zones, but then respect the choices they make afterwards, and allow them to do something else instead for the same eventually reward if they decide that this new content is not something they enjoy.

You seem to enjoy raiding, and want to continue doing it. Not everyone is the same as you, not everyone will ever enjoy raiding, no matter how much or how little time they spend on it. They deserve to be happy just as much as you do. You continue raiding, allow them to do something else, and don’t insist on withholding things from them just because they don’t enjoy playing the same content you do.

I just have to say I disagree. Locked rewards is the way to continue forward in this game. It was something that enough people wanted, that they started doing it (see Legendary Backpieces, and now Armor, more sure to come in the future). If you want the “best” reward for that game mode, you should have to spend the time in that game mode earning it. If you don’t like the game mode that is fine, but you don’t deserve the reward.

legendary armor

Ohoni.6057

I don’t think the ‘ask’ for alternatives makes sense. This has been discussed ad infinitum already. If the best reason you can give for an alternative method is “because don’t want to do something”, then why would it make sense for Anet to offer another alternative to get it that doesn’t guarantee they won’t get the same reason?

That’s why there should be a broad variety of options, ideally. Bits and pieces that can be mixed and matched to achieve the desired results. Even one additional path would be an improvement, but as you point out, not necessarily the best way to go.

In otherwords, if people simply don’t want to do one specific thing #1 to get an item, why would Anet make that item available with any other specific thing knowing they will get the same complaint?

Agreed, but still if X number of people don’t want to do method #1, and if even a small number of people do want to do method #2, then even if there is still a gap, that’s still more players who are served by the overall system. Ideally they would work with players to devise a method #2 that pleases as many of the remaining players as possible, something that no rational person can claim is true of the “just raid” option.

If you want the “best” reward for that game mode, you should have to spend the time in that game mode earning it.

And that’s the problem. There are very few people out there who want [the best item from raiding] but that don’t want to [spend a lot of time raiding.] That’s not really a concern. What does exist is people who want a specific item that ANet have chosen to lock behind raiding. All that’s being asked for is that they choose differently, to allow alternate methods to reach the same goal. Players who want “the best item from raiding” can just raid for it. Players that just want bits and pieces of the current legendary skin sets, but have no interest in raiding, should have other methods of earning them. The existing legendary skins have zero to do with raids, aside form an arbitrary choice on ANet’s part to place this armor in the raids.

done by now.”

(edited by Ohoni.6057)

legendary armor

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

And that’s the problem. There are very few people out there who want [the best item from raiding] but that don’t want to [spend a lot of time raiding.] That’s not really a concern. What does exist is people who want a specific item that ANet have chosen to lock behind raiding. All that’s being asked for is that they choose differently, to allow alternate methods to reach the same goal. Players who want “the best item from raiding” can just raid for it. Players that just want bits and pieces of the current legendary skin sets, but have no interest in raiding, should have other methods of earning them. The existing legendary skins have zero to do with raids, aside form an arbitrary choice on ANet’s part to place this armor in the raids.

It is not an arbitrary choice.

Anet made it clear that raid is what they envisioned as the end-game PvE content and decided to make legendary armor as the special prestigious reward for playing and beating the content.

legendary armor

Ohoni.6057

Anet made it clear that raid is what they envisioned as the end-game PvE content and decided to make legendary armor as the special prestigious reward for playing and beating the content.

Which is an arbitrary choice. They could just as easily have chosen Adventures as the content they decided to hide Legendary armor behind, or Basketbrawl, or SAB. They decided raids, you seem to like that, fair enough, but I’d like other options, and there’s no reason why not.

done by now.”

legendary armor

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

Which is an arbitrary choice. They could just as easily have chosen Adventures as the content they decided to hide Legendary armor behind, or Basketbrawl, or SAB. They decided raids, you seem to like that, fair enough, but I’d like other options, and there’s no reason why not.

Yup. I think it is a good thing to give out special reward just for a certain game mode.

We have legendary armor for raids, legendary wings for both fractals and PvP. This actually makes it feel rewarding to dedicate yourself to a certain content.

Let’s not fool ourselves but part of that prestige does come from its limited ways of being obtained.

legendary armor

Ohoni.6057

Yup. I think it is a good thing to give out special reward just for a certain game mode.

We have legendary armor for raids, legendary wings for both fractals and PvP. This actually makes it feel rewarding to dedicate yourself to a certain content.

And I think it’s bad, which is where we have a simple difference of opinion.

I think that the “reward” for “dedicating yourself” to a specific game mode should be that you spend many hours playing that game mode that you enjoy. If that’s not reward enough for you, then you should probably be doing something else.

ANet has an interest in rewarding players for playing SOME part of GW2 a lot, but they really have no interest in rewarding players for playing any one mode over any other. What they should be doing is rewarding players for playing whichever mode they most enjoy, whichever mode will make them WANT to keep playing, and feel good about the game, more loose with the wallet at the gem store.

Let’s not fool ourselves but part of that prestige does come from its limited ways of being obtained.

Yes, but skins should not be for prestige, because skins have value beyond prestige. A trophy has no value other than prestige, there is no point in having a trophy, except to project the idea, true or false, that you have accomplished that thing. Armor skins are not a trophy, you might want an armor skin because it says “I have done a lot of raiding,” but another player can be just as justified in wanting that skin to say nothing more than “I think this skin looks cool on my character.”

I have no problem with ANet adding “prestige” elements to the game like titles, nametag flares, “showoff bundles,” etc., but skins should not be a part of that, because players can want that skin for reasons completely unrelated to the prestige factor.

done by now.”

legendary armor

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

The devs have said that this is the only legendary armor that will be in the game and that theres no plan for it to go to other areas of the game. And even tho i dont like that i respect that, because its a game and if you are not insentivised to try new things in the game aiming to get something they provide then the game is doomed to die. I mean… look at season 6 compaired to se 5…

legendary armor

Posted by: Miellyn.6847

Miellyn.6847

And I think it’s bad, which is where we have a simple difference of opinion.

I think that the “reward” for “dedicating yourself” to a specific game mode should be that you spend many hours playing that game mode that you enjoy. If that’s not reward enough for you, then you should probably be doing something else.

ANet has an interest in rewarding players for playing SOME part of GW2 a lot, but they really have no interest in rewarding players for playing any one mode over any other. What they should be doing is rewarding players for playing whichever mode they most enjoy, whichever mode will make them WANT to keep playing, and feel good about the game, more loose with the wallet at the gem store.

They get rewarded in every game mode. You just can’t get every reward in every game mode. It’s like that since release. You are 4.5 years too late.

Yes, but skins should not be for prestige, because skins have value beyond prestige. A trophy has no value other than prestige, there is no point in having a trophy, except to project the idea, true or false, that you have accomplished that thing. Armor skins are not a trophy, you might want an armor skin because it says “I have done a lot of raiding,” but another player can be just as justified in wanting that skin to say nothing more than “I think this skin looks cool on my character.”

I have no problem with ANet adding “prestige” elements to the game like titles, nametag flares, “showoff bundles,” etc., but skins should not be a part of that, because players can want that skin for reasons completely unrelated to the prestige factor.

Yes armor skins are a trophy as they are the most noticable part of the character. All RPGs use weapons and armor as trophies. There were hard to obtain skins since release. But appearently that wasn’t a problem until legendary armor. It might have something to do with the item color and not the skin…

Titles have also value beyond prestige. I use titles based on race/class and traits that I associate with them. I would really like to have Legend of the Mists or Veteran of the Mists for my revenant, but you either need to play a lot of GW1 or can’t get it at all as Veteran of the Mists was the reward for the first WvW season.

Meena Wolfsgeist | Ranger
Ceana Mera | Mesmer
Indra Nebelklinge | Revenant

legendary armor

zealex.9410

How out of touch with the game can you be to say skins should not be for prestige? The endgame for this game is cosmetics (skins auras etc) so ofc the more interesting and flashy ones are gonna be some times the hardest to get. Makes sense and gives longevity to the game. Honestly dont ever consider to work as a game developer.

legendary armor

Posted by: Rednik.3809

Rednik.3809

To be honest, Ohoni will likely get his much desired armor without any problems in less than year, just like now any meta group can faceroll Arah without having any clue about tactics. Just read AMA summary.

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

legendary armor

zealex.9410

To be honest, Ohoni will likely get his much desired armor without any problems in less than year, just like now any meta group can faceroll Arah without having any clue about tactics. Just read AMA summary.

from what i heard from a dev there was no plans to add the armor elsewere in the game do you have a link that says otherwise? Coz i cant be kitten scrolling down the ama list

legendary armor

Rednik.3809

from what i heard from a dev there was no plans to add the armor elsewere in the game do you have a link that says otherwise? Coz i cant be kitten scrolling down the ama list

They announced next expansion in AMA, and they said that they are not going to change difficulty of old raids. That basically means that old raids will be self-nerfed by new OP elite specs, just like vanilla GW2 was self-nerfed by HoT ones.

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

legendary armor

zealex.9410

Proof of that claim? Ofc the hot elite soecs were stronger than the normal ones hence “elite” but that doesnt mean the new ones will be stronger than current ones. Anet knows that its the smart more to keep them on par with the existing ones. So dont jump into conclusion without any fact to back it up.

legendary armor

Rednik.3809

Proof of that claim? Ofc the hot elite soecs were stronger than the normal ones hence “elite” but that doesnt mean the new ones will be stronger than current ones. Anet knows that its the smart more to keep them on par with the existing ones. So dont jump into conclusion without any fact to back it up.

Power cripple is one of main selling reasons in all modern MMOs expansions. Feel free to believe otherwise, but I dunno how you can seriously hope to see things not going that way.

25 charracters

legendary armor

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Female sylvari medium chest is sick…. when stowed. The trenchcoat is soooooooooo bad though – it makes my character look like she is pregnant with an elephant.
The fun part is, female sylvari always suffered from fat leg boots syndrome hence why most boots were not wearable. 1.5 years for the set, race specific and they didn’t even bother addressing the issue – legendary boots on sylvari look like you have huge male norn calves attached to small plant girl.

Generally set is bit too bulky. Pants are ok.

Then again, i made the armor for stats swap so i don’t have to carry multiple sets. I knew that set will be probably horrendous looking and have plenty of xmute charges from pvp <3

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

legendary armor

Posted by: Joxer.6024

Joxer.6024

A simpler comparison is this…..you don’t get the daily rewards if you don’t them, period.

legendary armor

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

If the people complaining they don’t want to do raids put even half as much effort into actually doing the raids they’d have the armour by now…

legendary armor

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

A simpler comparison is this…..you don’t get the daily rewards if you don’t them, period.

Point me to a single thing i get from daily rewards that i can’t get from other sources.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

legendary armor

zealex.9410

Point me to a single thing i get from daily rewards that i can’t get from other sources.

and thats in ahort the main issue this game has

legendary armor

Fatalyz.7168

The 15k limit on Daily achievement points. Yes, you can get achievement points from other areas of the game, but if you never do dailies, you’ll always be missing out on a potential 15k AP.

legendary armor

Ohoni.6057

They get rewarded in every game mode. You just can’t get every reward in every game mode. It’s like that since release. You are 4.5 years too late.

Everything is subject to improvement, it’s never too late. This game went 4.5 years without Legendary armor at all, now it has it. They can always improve things, and I will always be pushing that they should.

Yes armor skins are a trophy as they are the most noticable part of the character. All RPGs use weapons and armor as trophies.

Not all. In many games all or most of the skins are available either by default or acquired with negligible effort. There’s absolutely nothing that says that GW2’s skins must be used as trophies, and given the rest of the game, it’s my contention that they shouldn’t be, whether you agree with me or not.

There were hard to obtain skins since release. But appearently that wasn’t a problem until legendary armor.

No, it’s always been a problem, and I’ve always campaigned against it. Legendary armor is just the most recent and most egregious instance of the problem.

It might have something to do with the item color and not the skin…

You can color swap them.

Titles have also value beyond prestige. I use titles based on race/class and traits that I associate with them.

Me too, when I have the title, but if a catchy title were locked behind some mind-numbing activity, I’d be far less interested in pursuing it than a cool skin. Are you telling me that there is a title in the game that you would chase after no matter how much you hated the associated activity, nor how many thousands of hours you would have to spend doing it?

They announced next expansion in AMA, and they said that they are not going to change difficulty of old raids. That basically means that old raids will be self-nerfed by new OP elite specs, just like vanilla GW2 was self-nerfed by HoT ones.

I don’t expect the new Elite specs to be a power creep on the old. The HoT elite specs were deliberately a power-creep on the old, because they represent a new tier of advancement, but I believe the plan is for all future elite specs to be balanced against the old. They will bring new options, which might lead to new and easier strategies, but I highly doubt they will make the existing raids that much easier.

If the people complaining they don’t want to do raids put even half as much effort into actually doing the raids they’d have the armour by now…

Yes, but they have no interest in doing that, which is why they’re complaining instead. If the people complaining about people complaining they don’t want to do the raids would instead recognize that it’s ok that these people don’t want to do the raids and worked with them to find alternative ways to earn the armor, then people would have shut up about not wanting to do raids MONTHS ago.

The 15k limit on Daily achievement points. Yes, you can get achievement points from other areas of the game, but if you never do dailies, you’ll always be missing out on a potential 15k AP.

So? You’ll always be a bit behind the curve, but so long as they keep adding new APs ahead of whatever you need to gain AP-based rewards, you never need to have ALL the APs. That’s not a reasonable counter to a set of armor that you can’t get anything remotely equivalent anywhere else.

done by now.”

legendary armor

Fatalyz.7168

So? You’ll always be a bit behind the curve, but so long as they keep adding new APs ahead of whatever you need to gain AP-based rewards, you never need to have ALL the APs. That’s not a reasonable counter to a set of armor that you can’t get anything remotely equivalent anywhere else.

And you don’t have to have Legendary armor, any more than they have to have all of the AP. You want Legendary armor just as much as someone may want Achievement Points. To so readily dismiss what someone else may want, in favor of what you want, is disingenuous to your argument.

legendary armor

Ohoni.6057

And you don’t have to have Legendary armor, any more than they have to have all of the AP.

But that’s a false equivalency. “All the AP” is just a pointless, arbitrary figure. The Legendary armor skins are markedly different from other available skins.

You want Legendary armor just as much as someone may want Achievement Points.

Is this someone made of straw? If you can find me data that there are an equal number of people who care about having the maximum possible amount of AP at all times as there are people who would like to wear Legendary armor, then I’ll concede the point, but I just don’t buy it.

If there are such numbers of people, then rather than saying that they are just out of luck, I would try to find some way for them to earn that AP they want through alternate means. Perhaps have some method by which you can farm away at gaining AP that comes out of the same pool of daily AP, so if you miss some days, you can make it up via farming.

Really though, you’re placing daily log-in on the same tier as raiding, so since you believe the two things are equivalent, why not just give out Legendary armor for daily rewards? Or like maybe a monthly thing?

done by now.”

legendary armor

Fatalyz.7168

Really though, you’re placing daily log-in on the same tier as raiding, so since you believe the two things are equivalent, why not just give out Legendary armor for daily rewards? Or like maybe a monthly thing?

I don’t believe that you should earn legendary armor any other way than through raiding. I would say the same thing if it was behind WvW, the daily system, PvP, etc. Just like I don’t believe that the AP armors and back pieces shouldn’t be available via anywhere else either.

Again, this is about having clear goals and rewards for specific content in the game. You want the shiny, but you don’t want to do the content, too bad you don’t deserve it, pretty simple. And whether you like it or not, armor is a clear reward in this game, and should (not to mention most likely continue) require completion of specific content to unlock. Just like the Ad Inifinitum and Ascension.

legendary armor

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

I don’t believe that you should earn legendary armor any other way than through raiding. I would say the same thing if it was behind WvW, the daily system, PvP, etc. Just like I don’t believe that the AP armors and back pieces shouldn’t be available via anywhere else either.

OK, why?

I can understand that argument for a skin, but an equipment slot? No.

legendary armor

Fatalyz.7168

OK, why?

I can understand that argument for a skin, but an equipment slot? No.

I worded that poorly. What I mean is: I don’t believe that you should earn this armor type via any other means than Raiding.

I understand the argument for the tier of gear, but since the armor is the skin…..

I agree that Legendary armor, as a type of equipment slot, should be available in multiple formats (see Ascension and Ad Infinitum). The problem is that Anet doesn’t want to make another Legendary armor set. I think we would should be pushing for them to create that type earn-able via other methods. Or rather that other methods should exist to obtain Legendary armor, as a equipment type, but not the skin that it currently has. If they were to create a Legendary armor tier that is available else where, I’m sure people would accept that with a basic skin, more than they would not being able to obtain a similar tier else where.

(edited by Fatalyz.7168)

legendary armor

apharma.3741

And you don’t have to have Legendary armor, any more than they have to have all of the AP.

But that’s a false equivalency. “All the AP” is just a pointless, arbitrary figure. The Legendary armor skins are markedly different from other available skins.

You want Legendary armor just as much as someone may want Achievement Points.

Is this someone made of straw? If you can find me data that there are an equal number of people who care about having the maximum possible amount of AP at all times as there are people who would like to wear Legendary armor, then I’ll concede the point, but I just don’t buy it.

If there are such numbers of people, then rather than saying that they are just out of luck, I would try to find some way for them to earn that AP they want through alternate means. Perhaps have some method by which you can farm away at gaining AP that comes out of the same pool of daily AP, so if you miss some days, you can make it up via farming.

Achievement points award gems every 5k milestone, gold, various boosters and more pertinently to the arguement 2 sets of unique armour and backpiece as well as 2 sets of weapon skins. Yes I have seen people proudly display those pinnacle skins that they had to earn, you cannot earn them just by logging in daily either.

legendary armor

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Power cripple is one of main selling reasons in all modern MMOs expansions. Feel free to believe otherwise, but I dunno how you can seriously hope to see things not going that way.

It’s a selling point of vertical progression mmos, which gw2 does not belong to.

It’s also worth distinguishing between meta creep, and flat power creep. The term power creep came out of vertical progression games where gear stat budgets would increase by hundreds of points every cycle, and classes would be given new abilities that they could take without having to give up existing abilities. HoT builds are more of just meta creep, where they are strong enough to take over the meta.

GW2 has had less power creep in it’s entire 4.5 year life than other mmos have in a single year.

Also it just wouldn’t make sense for the new elites to be made better than existing ones. HoT elites where creep simply as a byproduct of the role changes that ArenaNet wanted.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

legendary armor

Ohoni.6057

I don’t believe that you should earn legendary armor any other way than through raiding.

Ok, that’s your opinion, but we’ve established that my opinion is different.

Again, this is about having clear goals and rewards for specific content in the game. You want the shiny, but you don’t want to do the content, too bad you don’t deserve it, pretty simple.

Except who does that benefit? All that leads to is players who want the shiny, but don’t have it, not being happy. Nobody’s life is improved by that philosophy, so why, in an entertainment product with the SOLE purpose of making people happy, should that be the guiding philosophy?

Again, it makes sense to encourage players to TRY various types of content, and rewards that can be earned shallowly only in specific content are fine, but rewards that take large amounts of time and effort to acquire should be available through as broad a means as possible, so that the largest possible combination of [people who want the thing] and [people who have the thing] can be achieved.

I agree that Legendary armor, as a type of equipment slot, should be available in multiple formats (see Ascension and Ad Infinitum). The problem is that Anet doesn’t want to make another Legendary armor set. I think we would should be pushing for them to create that type earn-able via other methods.

I couldn’t care less about the Legendary armor classification. If they made an alternate set, I might want that set, if it looks cool, but I would still also want the pieces from the existing sets. The two would have nothing to do with each other. The important factor here is access to the SKIN, not to the color of the nametag on the skin.

Achievement points award gems every 5k milestone, gold, various boosters and more pertinently to the arguement 2 sets of unique armour and backpiece as well as 2 sets of weapon skins. Yes I have seen people proudly display those pinnacle skins that they had to earn, you cannot earn them just by logging in daily either.

Yes, but there is always a surplus of AP, it is a constantly growing resource. Even if you somehow manage to avoid all daily log-in AP while playing the game hardcore (which seems contradictory, but whatever), you will be able to get enough AP to have “all the things” unlocked via AP. It might take you a bit longer and would certainly require more effort, but you would get there. The same cannot currently be said for earning Legendary armor outside of raiding.

done by now.”

legendary armor

Astralporing.1957

Also it just wouldn’t make sense for the new elites to be made better than existing ones.

Of course it would make sense. It would be one more incentive for people to buy the new expac. And at the moment Anet does need a lot of those incentives if they want for the new expac to be a success.

Actions, not words.

legendary armor

Fatalyz.7168

I don’t believe that you should earn legendary armor any other way than through raiding.

Ok, that’s your opinion, but we’ve established that my opinion is different.

You keep bringing in your opinion, so I keep bringing in mine, see how they don’t do anything for the conversation?

Except who does that benefit? All that leads to is players who want the shiny, but don’t have it, not being happy. Nobody’s life is improved by that philosophy, so why, in an entertainment product with the SOLE purpose of making people happy, should that be the guiding philosophy?

It benefits the people who want specific rewards for specific content. Again, those who want it, but don’t have it, have a way to obtain it. They don’t want to do the content, they don’t deserve the reward.

Also, as you said, the sole purpose is to make people happy, and I am positive that they are making more people happy with clear content goals, than they ever were with “just do what you want”. Are there going to be people unhappy with the decisions that have been made? Of course, but they will either stay and keep playing or they will leave and find a game who fits what they want (which is perfectly acceptable thing to do, and I’m sure Anet is ok with people leaving, who disagree).

Again, it makes sense to encourage players to TRY various types of content, and rewards that can be earned shallowly only in specific content are fine, but rewards that take large amounts of time and effort to acquire should be available through as broad a means as possible, so that the largest possible combination of [people who want the thing] and [people who have the thing] can be achieved.

This is your opinion.

Yes, but there is always a surplus of AP, it is a constantly growing resource. Even if you somehow manage to avoid all daily log-in AP while playing the game hardcore (which seems contradictory, but whatever), you will be able to get enough AP to have “all the things” unlocked via AP. It might take you a bit longer and would certainly require more effort, but you would get there. The same cannot currently be said for earning Legendary armor outside of raiding.

Nor can it be said for Ad Infinitum or Ascension, Luminescent armor, there are other examples in game. Not advocating that those acquisition methods be changed either. Again, you don’t want to do the content for the reward, you don’t deserve the reward.

(edited by Fatalyz.7168)

legendary armor

Posted by: Azoqu.8917

Azoqu.8917

I couldn’t care less about the Legendary armor classification. If they made an alternate set, I might want that set, if it looks cool, but I would still also want the pieces from the existing sets. The two would have nothing to do with each other. The important factor here is access to the SKIN, not to the color of the nametag on the skin.

If there ever became another way to get Legendary armor, it would either have a new skin (doubtful that that will happen anytime soon) or it would just be blanks so people have access to the stat swapping abilities. You will NEVER get the envoy skins from anything but raiding. This is fashion wars 2, there are tons of skins locked behind certain content and only have one way to get them.

legendary armor

Ohoni.6057

Of course it would make sense. It would be one more incentive for people to buy the new expac. And at the moment Anet does need a lot of those incentives if they want for the new expac to be a success.

Players like variety, they will buy the expansion to play the new elite specs, even if they aren’t a linear advancement of the existing ones. Basically, adding the original elite specs was like adding an entirely new tier of gear to the game, Ascended weapons, let’s say. Future expansions are not likely to add a further tier, but rather to just expand the options within that existing tier.

You keep bringing in your opinion, so I keep bringing in mine, see how they don’t do anything for the conversation?

Only if you keep repeating positions already in evidence.

It benefits the people who want specific rewards for specific content. Again, those who want it, but don’t have it, have a way to obtain it. They don’t want to do the content, they don’t deserve the reward.

And what’s your evidence that there are more of those people than there are people who just want rewards without caring where they come from? If the reward can be gained anywhere, then players who PvP can get it, and they’re happy, players who raid can get it, and they’re happy, players that PvE can get it, and they’re happy, everyone’s happy except for people who insist that nobody else is allowed to have the rewards from “their” content.

Also, as you said, the sole purpose is to make people happy, and I am positive that they are making more people happy with clear content goals, than they ever were with “just do what you want”.

Source?

Nor can it be said for Ad Infinitum or Ascension, Luminescent armor, there are other examples in game. Not advocating that those acquisition methods be changed either. Again, you don’t want to do the content for the reward, you don’t deserve the reward.

Nobody “deserves” anything, it’s a game. The devs set goals, and the players can pursue them. Those goals can and have changed numerous times. There are plenty of items that used to require collections or event progression, that now can be bought with Laurels. Do the people that acquire them that way not “deserve” them? Of course they do. If ANet sees fit to make Legendary armor (or any of the other items you mentioned) available through other methods, then the players who earn them via those methods “deserve” them just as much as anyone else.

You will NEVER get the envoy skins from anything but raiding.

That’s the attitude I’m arguing against. Just because someone doesn’t enjoy raiding doesn’t mean that they shouldn’t have access to Envoy armor.

done by now.”

legendary armor

Astralporing.1957

I remember this being said about dungeon skins at some time in the past.

Actions, not words.

legendary armor

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Also it just wouldn’t make sense for the new elites to be made better than existing ones.

The whole “Elites OP cuz sales!!!” argument is both old and wrong, and only exists because of people jumping on the hate train without thinking.

The argument only works if you assume that people’s primary make-or-break reason for purchasing a expac is the power increase. Which isn’t true. PvE’ers will always buy in just for the content. Story junkies will buy in for the story. The only group where elite spec performance will matter is the players that exclusively play WvW and sPvP. However those modes are competitive modes and making things deliberately OP will pretty much always blow up in your face when it comes to competitive players.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

legendary armor

Fatalyz.7168

Only if you keep repeating positions already in evidence.

Which will only keep happening so long as you keep repeating your same positions. See how we are going to keep going in circles on this?

And what’s your evidence that there are more of those people than there are people who just want rewards without caring where they come from? If the reward can be gained anywhere, then players who PvP can get it, and they’re happy, players who raid can get it, and they’re happy, players that PvE can get it, and they’re happy, everyone’s happy except for people who insist that nobody else is allowed to have the rewards from “their” content.

I never claimed that there were more people, you claimed that you would make more people happy, so do you have evidence that you would make more people happy than you would upset?

No? Didn’t think so.

Also, as you said, the sole purpose is to make people happy, and I am positive that they are making more people happy with clear content goals, than they ever were with “just do what you want”.

Source?

Never claimed it as fact. If you took it for that, well that’s your issue.

Nobody “deserves” anything, it’s a game. The devs set goals, and the players can pursue them. Those goals can and have changed numerous times. There are plenty of items that used to require collections or event progression, that now can be bought with Laurels. Do the people that acquire them that way not “deserve” them? Of course they do. If ANet sees fit to make Legendary armor (or any of the other items you mentioned) available through other methods, then the players who earn them via those methods “deserve” them just as much as anyone else.

It is your opinion about what should or should not be deserved, just as it is mine.

Everything in life has something that you want and have to work to achieve. Somethings you have to do very specific things to achieve that goal (someone who only ever plays hockey will never win a Lombari trophy, and those are games). If there is something that has to be worked for to achieve, and you don’t want to do it, then you don’t deserve it because you didn’t earn it.

(edited by Fatalyz.7168)

legendary armor

Azoqu.8917

I remember this being said about dungeon skins at some time in the past.

And I’m totally of the opinion that dungeon skins should of stayed dungeon exclusive as well. It would be like making the skins that are only achievable for doing WvW or for ranking high in old pvp able to be received in PvE. Yes most people won’t care but the few that have those armors will be extremely unhappy that the work they put in for it is null and void.

When the game first came out, I saw Arah armor and decided that I had to have it. Took me a while to farm all of the tokens for a full set but it felt good getting it all done. Nowadays I look at the skins and feel bad because you can just spend 10 minutes a day doing daily rooms for 20 days and get all 6 skins as well as 18 weapons. Considering path 4 took 3+ hours alone to complete when the game first came out, if you completed it at all, is insane that for the same time as one path you’d achieve the work as 100 paths.

Edit: For the people who want the skins without doing the work, do you honestly feel good having something basically given to you and therefore have no pride in the effort?

legendary armor

apharma.3741

Yes but there’s always a source of LI’s it is a constantly growing resource. Even if you somehow avoid all the hard weekly boss kills you will still be able to have “all the legendary armours” unlocked by raids. It might take you a bit longer and would certainly require more effort, but you would get there. The same cannot currently be said for earning pinnacle weapons outside of daily AP.

To be honest unless you have played the game since launch and GW1 you will be anything from 5-10k AP behind the top AP players. Except there is no way to bridge a lot of that as they were tied to Living World Season 1 and all those are unobtainable now.

The comparison between hardcore AP grabbing is the biggest piece of BS I’ve seen in this thread, AP requires a lot more effort to get than completing raids because AP already mandates doing said raids. Go ask Malediktus about it, guy is 2nd in the world and has to do everything especially as AP from new content is a lot less than it used to be.

legendary armor

Ohoni.6057

I never claimed that there were more people, you claimed that you would make more people happy, so do you have evidence that you would make more people happy than you would upset?

I didn’t claim it would make more people happy than it would upset. I claimed that it would make more people happy who are currently unhappy, because they would now have access to the things they wanted, where they didn’t before. I have no figures on how many people this would upset, but my hope for humanity says it would be a smaller number, because someone who gets upset at other people being happy is a sad creature indeed.

Everything in life has something that you want and have to work to achieve. Somethings you have to do very specific things to achieve that goal (someone who only ever plays hockey will never win a Lombari trophy, and those are games). If there is something that has to be worked for to achieve, and you don’t want to do it, then you don’t deserve it because you didn’t earn it.

We aren’t talking about life though, we’re talking about a game, and in a game, everything is distributed at the whims of the developer, no more, no less. It’s impossible to “earn” anything or “deserve” anything, you’re just given what the developer chooses to give you for the things you choose to do.

When the game first came out, I saw Arah armor and decided that I had to have it. Took me a while to farm all of the tokens for a full set but it felt good getting it all done. Nowadays I look at the skins and feel bad because you can just spend 10 minutes a day doing daily rooms for 20 days and get all 6 skins as well as 18 weapons. Considering path 4 took 3+ hours alone to complete when the game first came out, if you completed it at all, is insane that for the same time as one path you’d achieve the work as 100 paths.

Yes, but that’s the inevitably nature of an ongoing games, things that take relatively high amounts of effort to get early on take relatively lower amounts to get later. If that bothers you then MMOs are a poor fit.

Edit: For the people who want the skins without doing the work, do you honestly feel good having something basically given to you and therefore have no pride in the effort?

If the alternative is to never have it, then yes. I like to work towards goals, when that work is something I enjoy doing, as raiders claim to enjoy raiding, but working towards something along a method that I hate does not give me any satisfaction, it just gives me frustration.

I don’t want to be handed anything, I prefer to work for it, I just want the method of that work to be something that I enjoy more than raiding.

Yes but there’s always a source of LI’s it is a constantly growing resource. Even if you somehow avoid all the hard weekly boss kills you will still be able to have “all the legendary armours” unlocked by raids.

I think you’ve lost track of the point. The point was that if you don’t want to collect the daily APs, there are plenty of other sources for getting all the APs you need. To compare that back to raids, no matter how much time and effort you spend doing things that aren’t raids, you’ll still end up with ZERO LIs, and ZERO capacity to buy things that are only available for LIs. If raids were merely the best source for LIs, but they (and the related achievement items needed for making Legendary armor) could be earned elsewhere, then we wouldn’t need to be having this conversation.

The comparison between hardcore AP grabbing is the biggest piece of BS I’ve seen in this thread, AP requires a lot more effort to get than completing raids because AP already mandates doing said raids. Go ask Malediktus about it, guy is 2nd in the world and has to do everything especially as AP from new content is a lot less than it used to be.

Perhaps, but there are still alternate ways to progress it. I have 26000 AP, which is better than 90% of players, and don’t have any of the raid-related points. The top player is less than 10K ahead of me, and that only translates to three armor skins and five weapon skins. Also, since you can pick which skins you want, in only 3K more AP I would be at the point where I could potentially be wearing the exact same AP-earned gear as the top player, if I ended up making the same selections he did.

done by now.”

legendary armor

Astralporing.1957

Skins are not something i would ever consider having pride with. It’s something i feel for things i do, not for things i wear.

Yes but there’s always a source of LI’s it is a constantly growing resource. Even if you somehow avoid all the hard weekly boss kills you will still be able to have “all the legendary armours” unlocked by raids. It might take you a bit longer and would certainly require more effort, but you would get there. The same cannot currently be said for earning pinnacle weapons outside of daily AP.

If only that were true. Unfortunately, you can’t get LIs outside of raids. Even if you could, it means nothing if you don’t have collections done, and those require you killing all the bosses, including the hard ones.

So, basically completely opposite of what you tried to claim.

Actions, not words.

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

legendary armor

apharma.3741

If only that were true. Unfortunately, you can’t get LIs outside of raids. Even if you could, it means nothing if you don’t have collections unlocked, and those require you killing all the bosses, including the hard ones.

So, basically completely opposite of what you tried to claim.

As I and many others have already pointed out you can do the easy parts of raids to get LI’s and then buy the boss kills you need to complete the collections, I believe it would cost about 1.5k gold but the option is there should you want to do it. There are what I would call entry level bosses, at least 3 I would consider easy enough that if you can complete a dungeon in a prompt time you can kill the 3 bosses easily a week and farm them for LI’s.

I also think what I put was lost on a few of you as it was almost a complete reversal of what the other person wrote replacing AP for LI and raiding. It wasn’t supposed to make sense because the poster is contradicting themselves multiple times. Just see above where they’re saying about Arah becoming easier and that it’s ok for Arah armour and Arah tokens to be behind Arah dungeon because it gets easier over time while also taking the time to ridicule them for it. The same logic can be applied to raids, it will get easier over time either because of more options with elite specs or because the player base knowledge pool gets so much higher…and TACO doing 90% of the work for you.

But lets for once cut all the BS and get to the core of the issue.

Most of the complainers just want legendary armour but are not good enough to get it or are too lazy to get it. The only other point that has merit is potentially having a set of legendary armour with a different skin for WvW/PvP and you better believe it’s going to be behind a massive grind fest and BS achievements.

legendary armor

Ohoni.6057

As I and many others have already pointed out you can do the easy parts of raids to get LI’s and then buy the boss kills you need to complete the collections, I believe it would cost about 1.5k gold but the option is there should you want to do it.

Bribing other players to play the game for you should never be the alternative option. There should be other methods for PLAYERS to earn the rewards through their own efforts.

Seriously, how can you guys talk about having “pride” in “earning” Legendary armor out of one side of your mouths, and then suggest players just getting Sherpaed through the content as a valid way of playing out the other side? Either Legendary armor is something that only those “deserving” of it can ever have, or it’s something anyone can get if they’re willing to pay others to do the work for them. If the latter, then how is those players playing some other type of content to actually EARN the armor not an equivalent method? Or are you just selfishly supporting a raider-beneficial economy? I would be willing to pay 1.5K gold for a set of Legendary armor, but I’m not paying it to raiders to support a broken system.

done by now.”

legendary armor

Azoqu.8917

Yes, but that’s the inevitably nature of an ongoing games, things that take relatively high amounts of effort to get early on take relatively lower amounts to get later. If that bothers you then MMOs are a poor fit.

Actually most MMOs, at least for the important items, do limit them to only when the content is relevant. Case in point: Bear mount and title for beating Kaelthas and Verash from WoW. Guild Wars 2 does not have a gear/level treadmill so there is no reason to lock out certain items based on time (lifetime of the game, not how long it will take), but I’ll be kitten ed if they make things easier. Dungeon armor is one example of something being made easier and not because people got better, but because Anet gave it away.

Concerning people buying raids, I’d prefer if it was impossible to sell them to others but at least if someone is willing to buy them all it would probably cost them on average of 100g per boss kill and therefore 15k for the insights alone on a set. I still wish there was a challenge mode solo instance that you had to complete in order to get any legendary in the game, including weapons. I am also of the opinion that Anet should have made the last heart unlocking all of the skins/minis from the raids in order to keep the armor to people who raid only.

legendary armor

apharma.3741

As I and many others have already pointed out you can do the easy parts of raids to get LI’s and then buy the boss kills you need to complete the collections, I believe it would cost about 1.5k gold but the option is there should you want to do it.

Bribing other players to play the game for you should never be the alternative option. There should be other methods for PLAYERS to earn the rewards through their own efforts.

Seriously, how can you guys talk about having “pride” in “earning” Legendary armor out of one side of your mouths, and then suggest players just getting Sherpaed through the content as a valid way of playing out the other side? Either Legendary armor is something that only those “deserving” of it can ever have, or it’s something anyone can get if they’re willing to pay others to do the work for them. If the latter, then how is those players playing some other type of content to actually EARN the armor not an equivalent method? Or are you just selfishly supporting a raider-beneficial economy? I would be willing to pay 1.5K gold for a set of Legendary armor, but I’m not paying it to raiders to support a broken system.

Same way you can go around being fine that dungeon armour is tied exclusively to specific dungeons but somehow have a massive beef with legendary armour being tied exclusively to raids. That you can be fine about all the other stuff in the game tied exclusively to other content which you cannot avoid, which you have no choice but to play to get the shiny.

If I had it my way you would be forced to do raids and would not be allowed to sell it, I would have also nipped all this discussion in the bud and said if you don’t want to raid then don’t get legendary armour, end of discussion. It really is that simple.

Besides we all know this is about being either incapable of raiding or being too lazy to. Best part is that it is stat for stat equal to ascended armour which you can stat swap anytime you want to change so there is really very little benefit other than the rune swapping. There’s very few runes where I would care about losing them, even if we used a laughably unrealistic change to the meta every 6 months due to balance patches.

legendary armor

Posted by: Prototypemind.4026

Prototypemind.4026

I just don’t understand the fundamental shift. The whole point of GW2 was to be a game that wasn’t like the rest. No mindless grind—even things like map completion at least allowed players to constantly see new areas—and play your way. The longer GW2 goes on, the more it becomes about the same tired traditions that it was supposed to be getting away from. Tying rewards to very contained content seems against what was promised at release.

It seems that the community is very much divided on it, but I’m surprised at those that have been here for quite some time backing the decision to make it so exclusive. At least PvP tracks existed to allow non-PvE players to get skins. Anyway, I don’t have a dog in the fight, I can’t get players turning on each other rather than supporting systems that let everyone put in energy and effort in multiple ways to obtain something, or at least a variant of it.

legendary armor

apharma.3741

I just don’t understand the fundamental shift. The whole point of GW2 was to be a game that wasn’t like the rest. No mindless grind—even things like map completion at least allowed players to constantly see new areas—and play your way. The longer GW2 goes on, the more it becomes about the same tired traditions that it was supposed to be getting away from. Tying rewards to very contained content seems against what was promised at release.

It seems that the community is very much divided on it, but I’m surprised at those that have been here for quite some time backing the decision to make it so exclusive. At least PvP tracks existed to allow non-PvE players to get skins. Anyway, I don’t have a dog in the fight, I can’t get players turning on each other rather than supporting systems that let everyone put in energy and effort in multiple ways to obtain something, or at least a variant of it.

This is not what they meant by being different and having no grind.

What ANet intended and succeeded at is that the stats and end game gear isn’t behind mindless grind. All end game content can be done with exotic gear and the few exceptions (fractals, raiding) to this you can learn while gearing up ascended especially raids where ascended weapon and then trinkets would essentially be good enough. Likewise most runes and most sigils are not expensive or have cheaper alternatives, in fact sometimes you’re even going to find friends who will even give you the gear you need.

Think about it, how many people have changed their armour since starting HoT? My ele is using the same ascended armour now as 3 years ago, same ascended staff, dagger, focus and got warhorn + scepter for the change in the meta. Sure people may have changed stats in WvW but ANet also implemented a stat change system for ascended armour making the cost 5 ectos and an exotic insignia.

When the new expansion hits, my ele will still be in 4 year old armour, when living world season 4 comes around I’ll be celebrating 5 or 6 years, same armour, same weapons. That is what they mean by no gear grind and in that regard I can honestly say ANet really did it differently and succeeded in making an expansion a true joy to go into.

legendary armor

Azoqu.8917

As much as everyone loves to spout out play how you want, the game was supposed to always have hard content to do and rewards for it. Dungeons were supposed to be hard content and they did have very specific rewards to them. Somewhere along the line the game was fed to the lowest denominator and any challenge was lost and we’re finally getting it added back in.

legendary armor

Ohoni.6057

Actually most MMOs, at least for the important items, do limit them to only when the content is relevant. Case in point: Bear mount and title for beating Kaelthas and Verash from WoW.

To my understanding, any raid armor in WoW becomes instantly trivialized as soon as the next raid becomes available, and by the time the next expansion drops, trash loot found in the new starter areas is superior.

I still wish there was a challenge mode solo instance that you had to complete in order to get any legendary in the game, including weapons.

I don’t mind if there are difficult solo challenges in the game.

I don’t mind if these challenges are attached to PURE prestige rewards, like titles, nametag flairs, other things that have zero intrinsic value.

I just don’t believe that these challenges should deny people items that do have intrinsic value, items that they might want without regard for any sort of challenge associated with them.

I don’t want to devalue anyone’s gameplay efforts, I just don’t believe that anyone’s gameplay efforts have earned them the right to deny anyone the armor or weapon skins that they’d really enjoy having.

Same way you can go around being fine that dungeon armour is tied exclusively to specific dungeons but somehow have a massive beef with legendary armour being tied exclusively to raids.

Firstly, if you think I’m “fine with that” then you don’t know me very well. For the record, my stance is that NO item, ANYWHERE in the game, should be locked too deeply behind any single type of content. There should always be options available.

But that aside, there are multiple ways to earn Dungeon armor, and the PvP method is particularly brainless, far easier than anything I’d expect for an alternative Legendary armor method. And beyond that, earning Dungeon armor via dungeons involves WAY less investment of time or level of skill than earning Legendary armor via raiding. I mean, I earned a couple full sets of CoF armors back around launch, it’s really not a comparable experience.

Besides we all know this is about being either incapable of raiding or being too lazy to.

So what if it is? What difference would that make? I would still be a customer of this game, and as deserving of happiness as you are. What I would want take nothing away from you. The only justification for you being unhappy if I got legendary armor is if you enjoy other people’s unhappiness, and I just don’t accept that as a fair justification.

Best part is that it is stat for stat equal to ascended armour which you can stat swap anytime you want to change so there is really very little benefit other than the rune swapping.

None of that is relevant to me, I just want the skin. I would take a blank “assign this skin to an item” version as the alternative if it were available, like with SAB skins.

As much as everyone loves to spout out play how you want, the game was supposed to always have hard content to do and rewards for it. Dungeons were supposed to be hard content and they did have very specific rewards to them. Somewhere along the line the game was fed to the lowest denominator and any challenge was lost and we’re finally getting it added back in.

Well, the game that was apparently a “mistake” was my favorite MMO of all time, after over fifteen years playing them. The reasons I loved it were exactly the things you seem to believe were “mistakes” in need of correction, and I stayed with the game since launch because of those “mistakes.” The further we move away from that game, the less I enjoy the experience. I just question why ANet seems to be ignoring those players that made GW2 the success that it is, in favor of players that apparently feel that the game was “a mistake.”

done by now.”