legendary armor

legendary armor

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: CrustyBot.3564

CrustyBot.3564

I like that there are prestige items that are a means of rewarding players for dedication into a particular game type. Even better, these items provide cosmetic prestige and slight QoL, instead of being a statistical improvement on what the less dedicated could earn and thus, mess with the balance.

I just wish WvW had something similarly rewarding. And although it’s unlikely, I’d love to see a different set of legendary armor being available through more traditional means.

legendary armor

Posted by: Fatalyz.7168

Fatalyz.7168

I just question why ANet seems to be ignoring those players that made GW2 the success that it is, in favor of players that apparently feel that the game was “a mistake.”

If it was so successful, why would they feel the need to change it?

Two reasons to make a change like that, that I see:
1) It wasn’t as successful a model as you feel it was, or
2) It didn’t fit their vision of the game, and they are making it for their vision.

At the end of the day, all Anet needs to have is more people that enjoy the experience now, than those who don’t.

legendary armor

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

I like that there are prestige items that are a means of rewarding players for dedication into a particular game type.

And that’s fine, so long as they are not weapon and armor skins that a player might want even if they don’t care about dedication to that particular game type.

Even better, these items provide cosmetic prestige and slight QoL, instead of being a statistical improvement on what the less dedicated could earn and thus, mess with the balance.

I would much prefer they lock up some minor and largely unnecessary stat boosts than that they lock up skins. Raiders will insist to you up and down that it’s possible to clear the hardest content in the game not just in Exotics, but even in greens, so what should I care if they add a level of gear that is marginally more powerful than Ascended and yet can only be earned via raiding? But if Legendary armor skins are locked behind raiding, then it’s impossible to get even 1% of those skins from anywhere else.

I just wish WvW had something similarly rewarding. And although it’s unlikely, I’d love to see a different set of legendary armor being available through more traditional means.

As long as at least one of those methods is general PvE, that’d at least be fair, but I’d still likely want some pieces from all those sets. “Separate but equal” can never apply to cosmetics, because cosmetics can never be “equal.”

At the end of the day, all Anet needs to have is more people that enjoy the experience now, than those who don’t.

Which is why I keep pushing for a better way, one in which more people can be happy.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

legendary armor

Posted by: Miellyn.6847

Miellyn.6847

I like that there are prestige items that are a means of rewarding players for dedication into a particular game type.

And that’s fine, so long as they are not weapon and armor skins that a player might want even if they don’t care about dedication to that particular game type.

Even better, these items provide cosmetic prestige and slight QoL, instead of being a statistical improvement on what the less dedicated could earn and thus, mess with the balance.

I would much prefer they lock up some minor and largely unnecessary stat boosts than that they lock up skins. Raiders will insist to you up and down that it’s possible to clear the hardest content in the game not just in Exotics, but even in greens, so what should I care if they add a level of gear that is marginally more powerful than Ascended and yet can only be earned via raiding? But if Legendary armor skins are locked behind raiding, then it’s impossible to get even 1% of those skins from anywhere else.

You’re funny. You say you love this game but are ready to betray one of the fundaments of this game (relative easy aquisition of maximum stats) for your own agenda. You don’t care about ‘more’ happy people. You care for yourself and nothing else.
This game was always build on different rewards for different game modes. GW1 was the same…

As long as at least one of those methods is general PvE, that’d at least be fair, but I’d still likely want some pieces from all those sets. “Separate but equal” can never apply to cosmetics, because cosmetics can never be “equal.”

WvW and sPvP already have an armorset only available in this specific content via reward track and ranked progression. Not everything needs to be available in PvE.
I also know you did the PvP legendary backpiece because you whined in the PvP forum about it. Just do the same for the armor.

Which is why I keep pushing for a better way, one in which more people can be happy.

You only care for yourself, stop pretending you speak for the majority.

Meena Wolfsgeist | Ranger
Ceana Mera | Mesmer
Indra Nebelklinge | Revenant

(edited by Miellyn.6847)

legendary armor

Ohoni.6057

You’re funny. You say you love this game but are ready to betray one of the fundaments of this game (relative easy aquisition of maximum stats) for your own agenda.

I don’t see the point to it. Getting full Ascended stats is already pretty tricky, and as soon as they moved to that model they completely gave up on “getting to maxed stat is relatively easy,” and moved on to “getting maxed stats is relatively unimportant, since the content is easy enough that you can do it in yellows.” Then they subverted that when they added raids, which are not nearly as easy to complete in yellows. But if you aren’t raiding, you still don’t really need Ascended anyway (or so raiders keep insisting), so what harm would it do it they added yet another tier of pointlessly higher stats?

WvW and sPvP already have an armorset only available in this specific content via reward track and ranked progression. Not everything needs to be available in PvE.

Again, the philosophy that I will always promote is that ALL content exclusive to long amount of times spent certain modes is wrong, because it’s impossible to guarantee that the people who most want that reward will always be the people who most want to play in that mode, therefore any case where this occurs, the odds are that more people will be annoyed at not having access to the item, than will be genuinely pleased at being able to have that particular item. Having one item locked to one mode does not justify having another item locked to another mode, it’s only reason to unlock the first item.

I also know you did the PvP legendary backpiece because you whined in the PvP forum about it. Just do the same for the armor.

Yes, and I hated every minute spent doing it. Getting players to engage in activities that they actively hate, and complaining about it, does nothing to benefit the game. PvP should be for PvPers, not for people wanting a backpiece, and even people on the PvP forums were complaining about filthy casuals messing up their PvP mode because they genuinely didn’t care about the same values that a “real PvPer” would, like competition.

I don’t claim to speak for the majority, only to speak for their best interests.

done by now.”

legendary armor

Miellyn.6847

You’re funny. You say you love this game but are ready to betray one of the fundaments of this game (relative easy aquisition of maximum stats) for your own agenda.

I don’t see the point to it. Getting full Ascended stats is already pretty tricky, and as soon as they moved to that model they completely gave up on “getting to maxed stat is relatively easy,” and moved on to “getting maxed stats is relatively unimportant, since the content is easy enough that you can do it in yellows.” Then they subverted that when they added raids, which are not nearly as easy to complete in yellows. But if you aren’t raiding, you still don’t really need Ascended anyway (or so raiders keep insisting), so what harm would it do it they added yet another tier of pointlessly higher stats?

WvW and people that want to complete their characters. Those are more present than you think.
You can complete raids in green equipment.

Again, the philosophy that I will always promote is that ALL content exclusive to long amount of times spent certain modes is wrong, because it’s impossible to guarantee that the people who most want that reward will always be the people who most want to play in that mode, therefore any case where this occurs, the odds are that more people will be annoyed at not having access to the item, than will be genuinely pleased at being able to have that particular item. Having one item locked to one mode does not justify having another item locked to another mode, it’s only reason to unlock the first item. [/quote]

The solution is simple, don’t get the exclusive items that take too long in a part of the game you don’t enjoy. You have your own exclusives in your preferred part.
People won’t quit because they won’t get a particular skin. You are the best proof for this.

Yes, and I hated every minute spent doing it. Getting players to engage in activities that they actively hate, and complaining about it, does nothing to benefit the game. PvP should be for PvPers, not for people wanting a backpiece, and even people on the PvP forums were complaining about filthy casuals messing up their PvP mode because they genuinely didn’t care about the same values that a “real PvPer” would, like competition.

Nobody but yourself forced you to do it.
It also doesn’t benefit the game in the long run to reward everything in every part of the game. People quit if they don’t have anymore goals, if they try other parts of the game they may like them and play them more and play the game longer.

I don’t claim to speak for the majority, only to speak for their best interests.

You don’t know the interests of the majority, you can’t speak for them. You only speak for yourself.

Ceana Mera | Mesmer

legendary armor

Ohoni.6057

WvW and people that want to complete their characters. Those are more present than you think.

Exactly.

The solution is simple, don’t get the exclusive items that take too long in a part of the game you don’t enjoy.

But again, that is not a solution, that is choosing one bad outcome (not getting the item) over another (having to play a mode I don’t enjoy). The actual solution would be a state that avoids BOTH negative outcomes simultaneously (for example "earning the desired reward from some other activity that I enjoy).

You have your own exclusives in your preferred part.

But as I noted above, “separate but equal” can never work, because this is entirely subjective, there can be no such thing as “equal.” If they have fifty sets of armor skins in the game, and all but one of them are earned only through PvE, while only one of them can be earned through PvP, then you might say that’s unfair to the PvPers, because they can’t get 49 of those armor sets through their way. But if that 50th set is a PvE player’s favorite set, then that scenario is distinctly unfair to that player, because he doesn’t care about the other 49, all that matters from his standpoint is that the set he does want is excluded from him.

That’s why it’s completely impossible to balance such a system, and the only way you can have a just system is to allow players to earn anything they want through any fully supported gameplay style.

People won’t quit because they won’t get a particular skin. You are the best proof for this.

But it does make them less satisfied with the game, and unlike with subscription games in which all you need to do is keep people from unsubbing, in a game like this one, they also want players feeling motivated to spend money, which they are less likely to do if they feel that the company is deliberately denying them the things that they want from the game. And there have been plenty of games that I’ve fallen out of because I was dissatisfied with how the reward progression was working out. I’m just not personally there yet on GW2.

Nobody but yourself forced you to do it.

The gameplay mechanisms put in place by ANet forced me to do it, by providing no other alternative method of earning it. Again, “don’t get that thing” is not a solution, it’s just a different negative outcome.

It also doesn’t benefit the game in the long run to reward everything in every part of the game. People quit if they don’t have anymore goals, if they try other parts of the game they may like them and play them more and play the game longer.

But again, you conflate “trying new things” with "spending hundreds of hours in them. The two have nothing to do with each other. We agree that there is merit in rewarding player for “trying new things,” but “trying” is the work of only a few hours, not hundreds. If a player does try a new thing, and definitely does not enjoy it, then the game should respect that choice, and should allow him to return to doing something else, rather than punishing him by permanently withholding the desired reward.

Rewards designed to encourage players to “try” new content should be buried shallowly enough that players can acquire them with minimal time and effort. Rewards that take significant time and effort should be flexible enough to adapt to the widest feasible number of paths.

Again, ANet does not benefit in any way from players being burnt out by content that they don’t enjoy.

You don’t know the interests of the majority, you can’t speak for them. You only speak for yourself.

Again, I don’t claim to speak for the majority, only for their best interests. Whether they understand their best interests or not is irrelevant, they would benefit regardless.

done by now.”

legendary armor

Posted by: Feanor.2358

Feanor.2358

But again, you conflate “trying new things” with "spending hundreds of hours in them. The two have nothing to do with each other. We agree that there is merit in rewarding player for “trying new things,” but “trying” is the work of only a few hours, not hundreds. If a player does try a new thing, and definitely does not enjoy it, then the game should respect that choice, and should allow him to return to doing something else, rather than punishing him by permanently withholding the desired reward.

You’re talking about the ultimate rewards in this game. Legendaries – all of them, not just the armor – all take lots of time and effort to complete. And that’s fine. They give long-term goals. If you want them, you have a reason to keep playing the game. It is exactly what has kept me in the game.

Furthermore, few hours aren’t nearly enough to get a proper feel of a game mode. Few hours into raiding get you nowhere. You’ve only seen a glimpse of the potential this mode has. And you likely haven’t appreciated it. If the game only required you to do that, it would be full of players who thought raiding is disappointing “because I’ve done it all and it’s meh”. The truth is, you need a lot more to learn the fights and the mechanics and it is only after you’ve learned these the raids become truly rewarding.

legendary armor

Miellyn.6847

Exactly.

So you would screw over those people only to force your vision onto everyone?

But again, that is not a solution, that is choosing one bad outcome (not getting the item) over another (having to play a mode I don’t enjoy). The actual solution would be a state that avoids BOTH negative outcomes simultaneously (for example "earning the desired reward from some other activity that I enjoy).

Sometimes you have to make decisions and live with the consequences. That’s life.

But as I noted above, “separate but equal” can never work, because this is entirely subjective, there can be no such thing as “equal.” If they have fifty sets of armor skins in the game, and all but one of them are earned only through PvE, while only one of them can be earned through PvP, then you might say that’s unfair to the PvPers, because they can’t get 49 of those armor sets through their way. But if that 50th set is a PvE player’s favorite set, then that scenario is distinctly unfair to that player, because he doesn’t care about the other 49, all that matters from his standpoint is that the set he does want is excluded from him.

That’s why it’s completely impossible to balance such a system, and the only way you can have a just system is to allow players to earn anything they want through any fully supported gameplay style.

You can’t make everyone happy. This system is not supposed to be ‘balanced’. You can’t balance opinions. With that argumentation you also need to add every single item to the gemstore for people that don’t want to invest the time to get it in any game mode. That would sure benefit the game.

The gameplay mechanisms put in place by ANet forced me to do it, by providing no other alternative method of earning it. Again, “don’t get that thing” is not a solution, it’s just a different negative outcome.

No the game mechanic didn’t force you. You forced yourself into it because you decided you can’t play without that skin. Stop blaming the game for your actions. You are responsible for your decisions, not the game or the developers.

Rewards designed to encourage players to “try” new content should be buried shallowly enough that players can acquire them with minimal time and effort. Rewards that take significant time and effort should be flexible enough to adapt to the widest feasible number of paths.

Again, ANet does not benefit in any way from players being burnt out by content that they don’t enjoy.

People deserve rewards to show their dedication to that part of the game. The current system is fine. If you decide that you need that reward don’t blame the game that you need it.

Again, I don’t claim to speak for the majority, only for their best interests. Whether they understand their best interests or not is irrelevant, they would benefit regardless.

Did you really write this? Yes you claim to speak for the majority. Yes you don’t care about anyone that’s not you. You even claim to know people better than they know themselves. So everyone not agreeing with you just has no clue what he really wants?

Ceana Mera | Mesmer

legendary armor

Ohoni.6057

You’re talking about the ultimate rewards in this game. Legendaries – all of them, not just the armor – all take lots of time and effort to complete. And that’s fine.

I agree, it’s ok that they take time. My point is, any give reward should EITHER:

1. Take a long time to earn, involving a significant investment of player time and skill.

OR

2. Only be available in a specific portion of the game, which players may or may not enjoy.

Never both at once, because getting players to try new things has value, but getting players to stick with things that they are not enjoying, is a negative play experience and should be avoided whenever possible.

To put this practically, say that you believe that players MUST at least attempt raiding if they want Legendary armor, but we try and reconcile that with the two above points. Obviously I’m not suggesting that players be able to walk into a raid, try it for a few hours, and then walk out with a full set of Legendary armor.

What I am suggesting, is that of all the things that you need for Legendary armor, only one component would be 100% only available from raids, and this one component could be earned within an hour or two, even if you can’t beat a boss. It would require neither a huge time investment, nor significant skill.

Now, all the other ingredients, the other things you would need to make use of that “key,” you would still need to earn, it would still take considerable time and effort. If you do enjoy raiding, then raiding would be the quickest and most straight forward way of earning the remaining parts. There would be no reason for people who enjoy raiding to not raid just as much as they currently do. But if you definitely don’t enjoy raiding, you’ve tried it and it’s something NOT for you, then there would be alternative methods, other ways you could play that would take a little more time and effort, but eventually lead to getting all the remaining materials, which you could combine with the “key” material to get that armor. It would still be a long term goal, just a long term goal that you would ENJOY pursuing.

Again, NOT a shortcut, just an alternative.

Furthermore, few hours aren’t nearly enough to get a proper feel of a game mode. Few hours into raiding get you nowhere. You’ve only seen a glimpse of the potential this mode has. And you likely haven’t appreciated it.

You’re making unreasonable assumptions about what other players do and do not enjoy. If they can’t make a given type of content fun within a few hours of play, then it is not a very fun type of content.

done by now.”

legendary armor

Posted by: DutchRiders.2871

DutchRiders.2871

I want all rewards being available through harvesting nodes since that is what I like doing. I don’t even wanna participate in any trading post activity, just add them as rare drops to nodes.

Also the balance is out of whack, thieves can get to nodes more easily. I do not wanna play a thief so please do something about this!

Furthermore some mobs in the newer maps turn out to be threats to me while harvesting! I feel totally locked out of gw2 rewards.

legendary armor

Ohoni.6057

So you would screw over those people only to force your vision onto everyone?

I would screw over no one, everyone would get what they want, unless what they want is for others to have less, in which case, they clearly don’t deserve to have what they want.

Sometimes you have to make decisions and live with the consequences. That’s life.

Yes, but this isn’t life, this is a game, and in a game, the developers CAN do both things at once, and therefore should. The “lesser choice between two evils” should never be an acceptable outcome.

You can’t make everyone happy. This system is not supposed to be ‘balanced’. You can’t balance opinions.

Exactly.

With that argumentation you also need to add every single item to the gemstore for people that don’t want to invest the time to get it in any game mode. That would sure benefit the game.

I wouldn’t be opposed to it. I’m no “whale,” but if whales buying things for massive sums in gems helped to support development of the game, I wouldn’t oppose that, so long as the ingame methods of earning things are fair as well.

But what I’m talking about are ingame methods, and yes, it would be impossible to perfectly balance such a system, in which each method were absolutely equal to any other in all ways, “perfectly balanced” isn’t necessary here (and if you want to argue otherwise, I’ll remind you that the current game isn’t perfectly balanced either, don’t make the perfect the enemy of the good).

The target would not be perfect balance, it would be for the “core” method of earning something, the “intended” method to be unquestionably superior to all other methods for those that enjoy it. Basically it would be quicker and easier in that mode by a significant degree, so if that’s the thing that you want, and you enjoy that mode, you’d have no reason not to go that route. The alternatives would be just that, alternatives for those that can’t stomach the core method, and the expectation would be that it would take more time and effort, but that’s at least better than “literally nothing.”

No the game mechanic didn’t force you. You forced yourself into it because you decided you can’t play without that skin. Stop blaming the game for your actions. You are responsible for your decisions, not the game or the developers.

I’m responsible for my decisions, but my decisions are a response to the factors of the game. If they make a set of wings that can only be earned through PvP, and I play the PvP necessary to earn them, you say that is entirely my responsibility because I did not stop. If I stopped and never got the wings, you would say that was entirely my responsibility because I didn’t have to stop. But ANet were the ones that set those rules, when they could have set the rules differently. With the rules they set, REGARDLESS of which choice I made, I could not be completely happy with the outcome. they are the ones responsible for that, when they could easily have chosen otherwise. Yes, I am responsible for my choices, but a Hobson’s choice is no choice at all.

Did you really write this? Yes you claim to speak for the majority.

Three times you claim I speak for the majority and three times I’ve told you I make no such claim. I won’t address this line of illogic further.

done by now.”

legendary armor

Feanor.2358

I agree, it’s ok that they take time. My point is, any give reward should EITHER:

1. Take a long time to earn, involving a significant investment of player time and skill.

OR

2. Only be available in a specific portion of the game, which players may or may not enjoy.

Never both at once, because getting players to try new things has value, but getting players to stick with things that they are not enjoying, is a negative play experience and should be avoided whenever possible

I already disagreed with this. I’ve given reasons. Now I’ll give you an existing example as well – Ad Infinitum. You cannot get this item without both putting significant time and effort and putting them in a specific part of the game. And it’s fine. These items are meant to be an incentive not just to try a mode, but to become an active player in this mode. And they succeed at this, by the way.

legendary armor

Ohoni.6057

I already disagreed with this. I’ve given reasons. Now I’ll give you an existing example as well – Ad Infinitum.

And as I said, existing examples of systems that do offer only one method of earning them are not justification for other items to follow suit. Instead, they are other cases in need of fixing too.

These items are meant to be an incentive not just to try a mode, but to become an active player in this mode.

But again, any mechanism that “succeeds” at getting a player to become an active player in a mode which they do not enjoy, may have succeeded at that single task, but it has failed the player in question, and failed the game as a whole, because it has led to a net negative experience.

Nobody should design systems that get players to become active players in modes that they do not enjoy (or have the alternative consequence of leaving them regretting that they never got that item they wanted).

The way these mechanisms should work is that if you want Ad Infinitum, then you have to give Fractals a try, have to spend a little while working at them, but then you’re allowed a fair and open choice, no negative consequences, just flat out, “do you enjoy Fractals, OR not?” If they choose that they enjoy Fractals, then they can keep running Fractals to unlock the rest of the things needed for the backpiece, and that will be the fastest and simplest way. If they choose “no,” the game does not punish them for that, the game allows them to continue earning the backpiece they want through alternate methods, maybe PvP, maybe open PvE, maybe raiding, maybe WvW, maybe all of the above if that’s what the player prefers.

This is better for the player because he doesn’t have to make a Hobson’s choice, he gets to have the item he wants, and enjoy earning it.

This is better for the game because they’ve provided the best experience possible for that player, he has spent hours enjoying their game, rather than spending hours resenting their game, and that makes him a more valuable customer for them.

This is better for all the players that DO love that mode, because it won’t be flooded with people who don’t want to be there, have no interest in “doing it right,” and just want to get in and out ASAP, being carried if necessary because they are annoyed at the world for dragging them kicking and screaming into a mode they want no part of in the first place.

Nobody ends up in a worse state. Everybody wins.

done by now.”

legendary armor

Feanor.2358

But again, any mechanism that “succeeds” at getting a player to become an active player in a mode which they do not enjoy, may have succeeded at that single task, but it has failed the player in question, and failed the game as a whole, because it has led to a net negative experience.

It can’t be a net negative. Nobody’s forcing your own choices. If you choose to play something you dislike to obtain something you like, it means you like the objective more than you dislike the means. If you don’t, then you simply forgo the objective. Just like I’m not getting The Ascension, because I don’t like PvP and I’m not playing it. In either case, you’re making your own choice, based on your own preferences, leading to the subjectively better outcome. Unless you’re deliberately choosing otherwise just to feel more miserable. But this, again, is your own choice.

Nobody ends up in a worse state. Everybody wins.

Except not. Making an item universally accessible makes it meaningless. When an item is bound to a specific game mode in the manner they are, owning this item signifies effort and dedication. Losing all this devalues the items greatly. Better make it a gemstore item and sell it.

(edited by Feanor.2358)

legendary armor

Fatalyz.7168

Proof that it is a better way? It’s a different way, sure, but it’s not inherently better.

You also don’t know if more people will be happy. You know that it will make you happy and some other people.

legendary armor

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Same way you can go around being fine that dungeon armour is tied exclusively to specific dungeons

It may be news to you, but it isn’t. That’s the whole point.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

legendary armor

Astralporing.1957

You’re talking about the ultimate rewards in this game. Legendaries – all of them, not just the armor – all take lots of time and effort to complete. And that’s fine. They give long-term goals. If you want them, you have a reason to keep playing the game. It is exactly what has kept me in the game.

I don’t think anyone is against legendary armor being a long-term goal. Just a long-term goal available through some content that is more fun/less aggravating.

Furthermore, few hours aren’t nearly enough to get a proper feel of a game mode. Few hours into raiding get you nowhere. You’ve only seen a glimpse of the potential this mode has. And you likely haven’t appreciated it. If the game only required you to do that, it would be full of players who thought raiding is disappointing “because I’ve done it all and it’s meh”. The truth is, you need a lot more to learn the fights and the mechanics and it is only after you’ve learned these the raids become truly rewarding.

After half a year of raiding i still don’t appreciate that content. Seriously, if someone won’t like it after few tries, they likely won’t like it later as well.

It can’t be a net negative. Nobody’s forcing your own choices.

If the game offers only bad choices, then the end result is a net negative, because, regardless of the option the player takes, his or her joy in playing the game will get diminished.

Actions, not words.

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

legendary armor

Feanor.2358

If the game offers only bad choices, then the end result is a net negative, because, regardless of the option the player takes, his or her joy in playing the game will get diminished.

Following this logic, you should make every item in the game freely accessible. Because for each aspect of the game you can surely find a player who dislikes it. Now, this would be a net negative. Because you’d be robbing players at large of the sense of reward and achievement.

legendary armor

Astralporing.1957

Following this logic, you should make every item in the game freely accessible. Because for each aspect of the game you can surely find a player who dislikes it. Now, this would be a net negative. Because you’d be robbing players at large of the sense of reward and achievement.

Well, yeah, every item in the game should have at least 2-3 different (preferably significantly different) acquisition options, preferably with one of them being through mainstream content, and/or one requiring dipping into a niche content, but not heavily investing in it. Obviously, acquisition options through heavy investment in specific part of the content should be the fastest, while other methods can take longer.

In such a situation, if one dislikes all of the choices, they also likely dislike the whole game anyway, so we do not have to worry about that.

And i don’t see how it would rob anyone of anything, unless their sense of achievement is based not on them achieving something, but on other players not having shinies.

Actions, not words.

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

legendary armor

Feanor.2358

Well, yeah, every item in the game should have at least 2-3 different (preferably significantly different) acquisition options, preferably with one of them being through mainstream content, and/or one requiring dipping into a niche content, but not heavily investing in it. Obviously, acquisition options through heavy investment in specific part of the content should be the fastest, while other methods can take longer.

In such a situation, if one dislikes all of the choices, they also likely dislike the whole game anyway, so we do not have to worry about that.

And i don’t see how it would rob anyone of anything, unless their sense of achievement is based not on them achieving something, but on other players not having shinies.

See last paragraph here

legendary armor

Astralporing.1957

See last paragraph here

Seen it. I literally can’t understand this way of thinking. I do’t see how the item can be devalued that way. Other people having that item would not diminish your effort and dedication any way.
Also, i’d rather pick what i wear based on aestethics, not on trying to boost my ego. The second way only ends up with everyone in your social circle looking exactly the same, which is lame.
Besides, i don’t really need any ego-boosting.

Actions, not words.

legendary armor

Feanor.2358

It’s not an attempt to boost my ego. Perhaps you can best think of it as a trophy. A reminder for a long and hard effort. Only valuable because of what it signifies. You could argue it will still be a reminder if there were an alternative way of getting it, but it’s just not the same. Like I said, if they did that, these items would be no different than any gemstore skin on sale, only with a different colour on their names.

legendary armor

Astralporing.1957

The use of trophy, the use of a skin for aestethic reasons, and the use of QoL (in case of legendary gear) are three completely different things. They should not be mixed in a single item.

Titles, guild decorations, and maybe minis are a good place for a trophy. Armor skins aren’t. I do prefer to get those myself, but that’s only because i dislike interacting with TP and gemstore. Functionally, there’s no difference to me. And i don’t see why there might be a difference. Skins are for aestethics. If you are wearing them for any other reason, it is just an ego-booster.
And if you are not wearing them, but still want them to be exclusive, that’s just petty.

Actions, not words.

legendary armor

Feanor.2358

Titles, guild decorations, and maybe minis are a good place for a trophy. Armor skins aren’t.

Says who? Everything can be a trophy. It’s not about the object, it’s about its exclusivity.

Skins are for aestethics. If you are wearing them for any other reason, it is just an ego-booster.

Except it’s not just black and white. There’s always some of both. For instance, Ferrari make great cars. Truly great pieces of art when it comes to driving experience. But you cannot possibly drive one without your ego being affected. There are no such people living on this planet. Exclusivity simply has this effect on the mind. We like things that makes us feel special. Every one of us.

Your last point, about the associated functionality, has another issue. It would effectively remove runes from the economy, they’ll become just another Resonating Slivers. While I don’t mind everyone getting access to the same perk, I can understand ANet being reluctant to do it.

legendary armor

Posted by: NikeEU.7690

NikeEU.7690

[Quote]

That’s the attitude I’m arguing against. Just because someone doesn’t enjoy raiding doesn’t mean that they shouldn’t have access to Envoy armor.
[/quote]

I dont enjoy interval training or track workouts but that doesn’t mean I shouldn’t be able to run a 16 minute 5k right?

[DnT]::Nike::
www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt

legendary armor

Posted by: ButterPeanut.9746

ButterPeanut.9746

See last paragraph here

Seen it. I literally can’t understand this way of thinking. I do’t see how the item can be devalued that way. Other people having that item would not diminish your effort and dedication any way.
Also, i’d rather pick what i wear based on aestethics, not on trying to boost my ego. The second way only ends up with everyone in your social circle looking exactly the same, which is lame.
Besides, i don’t really need any ego-boosting.

Supply and demand says otherwise…the more available something is the less valuable it is. I agree with this basic principle in the context of a game, but you may not.

legendary armor

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Same way you can go around being fine that dungeon armour is tied exclusively to specific dungeons

It may be news to you, but it isn’t. That’s the whole point.

It was for a very long time until reward tracks were added, we went something like 3 years with them being exclusive and this was a time when the majority of the playerbase couldn’t do Arah.

I was never OK with dungeon armour skins being in the reward tracks btw but that cat is already out of the bag but I don’t think it is a trend we should see continuing where you can play any game mode and subset of game modes to get anything you want.

You want the shiny, go earn the shiny. That’s all there is to say on it. Do I really have to explain for you and Ohoni how dead this game would be if it had nothing prestigious behind harder/semi grindy content?

legendary armor

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

I don’t mind if there are difficult solo challenges in the game.

I don’t mind if these challenges are attached to PURE prestige rewards, like titles, nametag flairs, other things that have zero intrinsic value.

I just don’t believe that these challenges should deny people items that do have intrinsic value, items that they might want without regard for any sort of challenge associated with them.

I don’t want to devalue anyone’s gameplay efforts, I just don’t believe that anyone’s gameplay efforts have earned them the right to deny anyone the armor or weapon skins that they’d really enjoy having.

The armour skin is nothing but a prestige item, it is no different to a title, if you’re referring to the actual items being legendary I have already said you can swap stats on ascended at a whim but have also said making a different legendary set for WvW is something I can get behind but you would not have the same skin.

Except you do want to devalue peoples efforts, you essentially want to remove the hard work others put into it trying a new game mode, learning new techniques and classes to benefit a group of 10 people working together. You are directly asking to devalue peoples gameplay efforts as well as many other skills they will have had to develop or utilise outside the game to keep a regular raid schedule.

Firstly, if you think I’m “fine with that” then you don’t know me very well. For the record, my stance is that NO item, ANYWHERE in the game, should be locked too deeply behind any single type of content. There should always be options available.

But that aside, there are multiple ways to earn Dungeon armor, and the PvP method is particularly brainless, far easier than anything I’d expect for an alternative Legendary armor method. And beyond that, earning Dungeon armor via dungeons involves WAY less investment of time or level of skill than earning Legendary armor via raiding. I mean, I earned a couple full sets of CoF armors back around launch, it’s really not a comparable experience.

Back before reward tracks someone wearing Arah armour had a certain level of prestige as it was that difficult for the majority of the player base. ANet then added dungeon armours to PvP tracks and later WvW tracks, a decision I don’t agree with as once again I believe skins tied to content is just about the only thing propping up this game.

So what if it is? What difference would that make? I would still be a customer of this game, and as deserving of happiness as you are. What I would want take nothing away from you. The only justification for you being unhappy if I got legendary armor is if you enjoy other people’s unhappiness, and I just don’t accept that as a fair justification.

None of that is relevant to me, I just want the skin. I would take a blank “assign this skin to an item” version as the alternative if it were available, like with SAB skins.

If you are too lazy then you don’t deserve it, yes I said it and most people will agree with me. If you cannot because of your skill and you don’t have a serious disability then you need to practise and get better. Since HoT ANet has really dropped the skill floor for many classes so there’s no excuse for not being able to perform decently.

If you want the skin go earn it, stop asking for it to be served up to you for little to no effort, it’s funny because there’s a quote above where you say you don’t want to devalue the armour but this is exactly what you are asking.

Well, the game that was apparently a “mistake” was my favorite MMO of all time, after over fifteen years playing them. The reasons I loved it were exactly the things you seem to believe were “mistakes” in need of correction, and I stayed with the game since launch because of those “mistakes.” The further we move away from that game, the less I enjoy the experience. I just question why ANet seems to be ignoring those players that made GW2 the success that it is, in favor of players that apparently feel that the game was “a mistake.”

Correct me if I’m wrong but GW1 had many skins locked behind difficult content, why is GW1 getting a free pass but not GW2? Is it because people don’t want to play with you in GW2 and so you got on better in the optionally single player GW1 game or is it because you could just throw bodies at content till it worked? Was it because you could farm these zones with 0 risks because GW1 allowed combos that made you essentially immune to everything in that area, something no game dev should ever let happen?

legendary armor

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

and why arent ppl complainin about the caustic nightmare skins bein locked behind 100 cm or gold fractal weapons?

legendary armor

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

and why arent ppl complainin about the caustic nightmare skins bein locked behind 100 cm or gold fractal weapons?

Because it is only a skin?

legendary armor

zealex.9410

And legendary is a rather more expensive skin that just has the ability to stat swap so? And i was refering to ohoni which said skins shouldnt be part of prestigious rewards yet no one complained about these ones.

(edited by zealex.9410)

legendary armor

Fatalyz.7168

There are people in this thread arguing to make the Skin of the legendary armor available else where, they don’t care about the Legendary status. I believe that was who this comment was mostly just directed at.

legendary armor

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

And legendary is a rather more expensive skin that just has the ability to stat swap so? And i was refering to ohoni which said skins shouldnt be part of prestigious rewards yet no one complained about these ones.

My apology if this was aimed at a specific poster. I didn’t saw quotes or references to anyone, so I assume (wrongly) that it was a general comment.

For someone who has many sets of armor in his inventory, that tier of armor is a pretty big deal regarding quality of life. The rune swapping only add more to it compared to the weapons.

legendary armor

Fatalyz.7168

My apology if this was aimed at a specific poster. I didn’t saw quotes or references to anyone, so I assume (wrongly) that it was a general comment.

For someone who has many sets of armor in his inventory, that tier of armor is a pretty big deal regarding quality of life. The rune swapping only add more to it compared to the weapons.

Something that I have come to the realization of since acquiring my first couple of pieces, if you swap stats a lot, it’s not really as convenient. It actually becomes more time consuming to swap stats, runes, and infusions (if you have them), than it is to just swap sets.

Of course, build templates would help with that…. but it’s blasphemy around here to speak of

legendary armor

Posted by: Azoqu.8917

Azoqu.8917

I am pretty sure almost everyone could agree that giving Legendary to other modes is fine. The problem arises when the people want the same skin which should only ever be gotten by doing the current raids. Anet could add a legendary armor to WvW and I wouldn’t care unless it was the same skin, and considering how long it took to make these armors, the only way another set will be added any time soon is if it has no skin attached.

legendary armor

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

I am pretty sure almost everyone could agree that giving Legendary to other modes is fine. The problem arises when the people want the same skin which should only ever be gotten by doing the current raids. Anet could add a legendary armor to WvW and I wouldn’t care unless it was the same skin, and considering how long it took to make these armors, the only way another set will be added any time soon is if it has no skin attached.

I understand. That being said, I assure you I’m not going after the legendary armor for the skin. The heavy I could understand, but I main a light class and I find both the medium and light to be transmuting stone worthy. Matter of taste ofc…

legendary armor

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Something that I have come to the realization of since acquiring my first couple of pieces, if you swap stats a lot, it’s not really as convenient. It actually becomes more time consuming to swap stats, runes, and infusions (if you have them), than it is to just swap sets.

Of course, build templates would help with that…. but it’s blasphemy around here to speak of

I agree with the templates. I’m wondering why it is so hard to get since there are a lot less possible combinations in GW2 than in GW.

As for the armor, you also have to factor in that you free 6 inventory slots per set you used to have. That alone is quite interresting.

legendary armor

zealex.9410

They will not make diff armors this is the only one and there arent any plans to add it elsewere atm.

legendary armor

zealex.9410

I agree with the templates. I’m wondering why it is so hard to get since there are a lot less possible combinations in GW2 than in GW.

As for the armor, you also have to factor in that you free 6 inventory slots per set you used to have. That alone is quite interresting.

cough cough expansion selling point cough cough

legendary armor

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

They will not make diff armors this is the only one and there arent any plans to add it elsewere atm.

This is why a lot of ppl are starting to ask for compromises regarding LIs. The hope they might have had about getting it later in another mode kinda died with that announcement.

legendary armor

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

I hope it will be announced as a selling point (as it already?).

legendary armor

Posted by: boolah.1325

boolah.1325

no compromises about li should be given.. 25 per piece is fair..

Should have been more imho.. this wasn’t suppose to be easy to get. 300 for a single set would have been best I think.

legendary armor

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Should have been more imho.. this wasn’t suppose to be easy to get. 300 for a single set would have been best I think.

If we only speak about what “should”, many, including myself, will tell you that this tier of armor should not be exclusive to that sole game mode. That it is, is not fair one bit.

legendary armor

Posted by: boolah.1325

boolah.1325

If we only speak about what “should”, many, including myself, will tell you that this tier of armor should not be exclusive to that sole game mode. That it is, is not fair one bit.

People are always going to be unhappy..

You “can” play other game modes. If you choose not to, that’s your choice.. You must think about what game mode has a bigger population also. I’m sure they had this in mind with legendary weapons also. I do feel for WvW players who don’t even have a back piece. (if it was available to obtain in WvW, would you really want your map ques full of people that just wanted the armor/backpiece/weapons reward tracks?? So many complain about the gift of battle already which is just for a single piece, let alone 6)

This isn’t suppose to be a simple task to complete and it also has 6 pieces compared to a single piece (weapon) What would you have ANET do? Make it so everyone can obtain the armor after a month?

Let’s be serious now.. Raids have been out for more than a year. The recipes have been known for as long. People are complaining now that they can’t have this nice new toy because they didn’t bother to take it serious enough get the LI or provisioner tokens?? meh

Sure, GW is suppose to be less of a grind but it’s also not supposed to be pay to win! I feel for other game modes but people would complain regardless.

legendary armor

Astralporing.1957

There’s a difference between just skins, and a whole category of gear. Nevertheless, there have been complains about it. I assume that they’re not that big simply because most people seem to consider golden fractal skins to be exceptionally ugly.

Actions, not words.

legendary armor

Fatalyz.7168

Personally I only had one other set, a power and condi. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy the convenience of it, I just realized that it is more work to change out, esp when changing out frequently.

For the build templates, iirc, they have technical issues or limitations to be able to do it.

legendary armor

Fatalyz.7168

I hope it will be announced as a selling point (as it already?).

Nope.

legendary armor

Fatalyz.7168

There’s a difference between just skins, and a whole category of gear. Nevertheless, there have been complains about it. I assume that they’re not that big simply because most people seem to consider golden fractal skins to be exceptionally ugly.

To be fair, if you go by the forums and reddit, most seem to think that the medium and light armors are……are…..are……. Well not up to par, to be polite about it.

legendary armor

Astralporing.1957

To be fair, if you go by the forums and reddit, most seem to think that the medium and light armors are……are…..are……. Well not up to par, to be polite about it.

And i guess a lot of people would have been easily satisfied with a second, different set of legendary armor. Unfortunately, (as i suspected earlier) we now know that Anet’s not planning releasing any. So, this set is the only choice for legendary armor. Thus, i’ll be asking for alternate acquisition methods till i’m heard, first 4 wings of raids get nerfed (either directly, or indirectly due to power creep), or i’ll stop playing.

(and by the way, while i do agree – a lot – about the common opinion about the medium set, i do like heavy, and i think that light, or at least some parts of it, can have its uses)

Actions, not words.