low level characters in fractals

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: pullnointer.1476

pullnointer.1476

I tried to do fractals today with a lvl27 ele, only leveled once, the loot was my level sooo…. it’d be nice if this was a viable way to level and I wouldn’t miss out on lvl 80 loot

Posted by: codpin.6542

codpin.6542

The fact that you managed to find a group that carried you through a fractal run doesn’t make it a viable way to level. Fractals were designed for level 80 groups.

Faith of Astora - Guardian | Faith Mess - Mesmer | Faith War - Warrior
Member of ASq Guild – Gandara [EU]

pullnointer.1476

why so offensive? not like level 1 fractals is that hard or anything. all I’m saying is that MAYBE it would be a good idea to let low levels do it for fun and leveling perhaps the first 10 levels would be doable. since I find every other form of pve or wvw dull, I thought I might ask.

Posted by: lcpdragonslayer.7895

lcpdragonslayer.7895

But low levels wouldn’t need level 80 gear, so I don’t see how this complaint is valid. If you want level 80 gear you should do it on your level 80 character.

I started FotMing at level 50 or 60 something, did FotM 1 once and then jumped straight to FotM 10 from personal level 2~11. I did find myself being marginally more useful at level 80 but the main thing is that you can only get agony resistance on level 80 equipment, so the Maw kind of sucks.

I would say that level 27 is way too low though, and most groups wouldn’t be willing to carry you through.

pullnointer.1476

well I can SELL the high level gear so it’s not like I did this kitten that’s harder on my low toon and I even get crap for it coz at that point I might as well do it on my main.

Posted by: Happyfool.8951

Happyfool.8951

loot tables reflect on your level, it doesn’t matter if you’r boosted up to 80.

We all do as we must to make our way in this world and unfortunately,
we have to do things others may qualify as “evil”.
~Krunch Bloodrage, Looking For Group

Posted by: Squally.4963

Squally.4963

Am I the only one who reads this as “Why can’t I be carried though fotm as a lowbie and make easy money in the same process?”

Posted by: Thz.7569

Thz.7569

Am I the only one who reads this as “Why can’t I be carried though fotm as a lowbie and make easy money in the same process?”

Not quite, but I do find the way he’s coming across to be idiotic.

pullnointer.1476

please stop using the word “carried”, it has nothing to do with reality. anet wants us to be able to level however we please(they said it) so I thought I might ask.

Posted by: Thz.7569

Thz.7569

please stop using the word “carried”, it has nothing to do with reality. anet wants us to be able to level however we please(they said it) so I thought I might ask.

But that wasn’t your point. It’s obvious that leveling through fotm is possible, but you’re also wanting level 80 loot while you do so which is…well. Not a reasonable request. So, before you start trying to sound innocent, you should look at what you’ve already said and what you initially tried to get across.

Posted by: Squally.4963

Squally.4963

At level 27 you don’t even have your elite skill unlocked yet. You aren’t contributing as much to the group as a level 80 would. What I got from your OP was that you wanted to get level 80 gear (yellows to sell mainly) at level 27 in a dungeon designed to be tougher then your average dungeon. That sounds like you wanting to be carried though a dungeon, get hella exp for it, and make a decent chunk of silver off higher then your level rares.

If a group wants to take you at 27 then that’s completely up to them. However, you want your cake and you want to eat it too. Not that it matters, you can make decent money grinding out a zone to 100% and vendoring any blues/greens you find along the way.

pullnointer.1476

At level 27 you don’t even have your elite skill unlocked yet. You aren’t contributing as much to the group as a level 80 would. What I got from your OP was that you wanted to get level 80 gear (yellows to sell mainly) at level 27 in a dungeon designed to be tougher then your average dungeon. That sounds like you wanting to be carried though a dungeon, get hella exp for it, and make a decent chunk of silver off higher then your level rares.

If a group wants to take you at 27 then that’s completely up to them. However, you want your cake and you want to eat it too. Not that it matters, you can make decent money grinding out a zone to 100% and vendoring any blues/greens you find along the way.

yeh I get it that that’d be too much, but at this point, doing fotm is inferior to simply grinding the whole map then doing fotm at 80. and they let low lvls in so obviously this is not “just an 80 area”

Posted by: mosspit.8936

mosspit.8936

Loot downscaling happens in other dungeons too. Being upcaled to 80 is already an incentive in itself.

pullnointer.1476

Loot downscaling happens in other dungeons too. Being upcaled to 80 is already an incentive in itself.

ummm.. I don’t understand that. why?

lcpdragonslayer.7895

They don’t let low levels in so that they can give you level 80 rares and let you make a truckton of money while the remaining 4 party members have to work harder in order to make up for your own shortcomings. You are not level 80 so your loot is not level 80 – what is so hard to understand about that?

This kind of selfish attitude is why people become increasingly tempted to be ‘elitist’ in wanting only level 80s in full exotics to run dungeons with them.

While it might be true that you can enter fractals at any level, the fact that the equipment you can exchange your tokens for has a required level of 80 should really tell you something about the level requirement of FotM.

pullnointer.1476

They don’t let low levels in so that they can give you level 80 rares and let you make a truckton of money while the remaining 4 party members have to work harder in order to make up for your own shortcomings. You are not level 80 so your loot is not level 80 – what is so hard to understand about that?

This kind of selfish attitude is why people become increasingly tempted to be ‘elitist’ in wanting only level 80s in full exotics to run dungeons with them.

While it might be true that you can enter fractals at any level, the fact that the equipment you can exchange your tokens for has a required level of 80 should really tell you something about the level requirement of FotM.

I guess I’m just not used to this kind of loot distribution. my main problem is the slow leveling, coz I’d like to level this way, but currently the dungeon doesn’t really support it.

lcpdragonslayer.7895

Compared to the other dungeons the amount of EXP you get for FotM is really low anyway. I’d advise you to do the explorable modes of traditional dungeons like AC and CM to get to 75 and then FotM from 75 onwards.

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

please stop using the word “carried”, it has nothing to do with reality. anet wants us to be able to level however we please even at the expense of others in your party(they said it) so I thought I might ask.

Edited for clarity.

Easier way to level is crafting and event farming WvW

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

pullnointer.1476

please stop using the word “carried”, it has nothing to do with reality. anet wants us to be able to level however we please even at the expense of others in your party(they said it) so I thought I might ask.

Edited for clarity.

Easier way to level is crafting and event farming WvW

it’s true that I was the lowest in that party, however, I wasn’t the only one going low lvl and the lack of knowledge of the dungeon hindered everyone. I don’t see the problem.

pullnointer.1476

Compared to the other dungeons the amount of EXP you get for FotM is really low anyway. I’d advise you to do the explorable modes of traditional dungeons like AC and CM to get to 75 and then FotM from 75 onwards.

thanks

Posted by: DeathPanel.8362

DeathPanel.8362

You are free to level as you please but you have no authority over how other people choose the form their teams. And if they choose to form their teams without low lvls then it’s their prerogative.

Posted by: Eiken.6821

Eiken.6821

In the beginning fotm, it isn’t bad to bring lowers. We had two members in our group that were 27 and 34. We got through one just fine. Could we have done it better with level 80s? Due to traits and gear stats: Yes. Primarily due to the traits that are unlocked at level 80 vs their levels. If groups don’t mind it, it’s not that bad. However, I will say: Don’t expect people to want to take someone under 80, specially for higher up fotm. The only reason we took a 27 and 34 in the same group (and in general) was because we were all on call and a group of friends just having some fun.

I do agree though that other dungeons would be better to level in due to the time taken and exp gain.

I personally like that the gear is always for my current (or around current) level that way my character is always up to date with at least masterwork or so gear on him as he is leveling. I do like that Anet did that personally. But to each their own.

mosspit.8936

What’s there not to understand? As a previous poster mention, you just want your cake and eat it too. The game just does not allow it, in terms of both loot and leveling. I am saying FotM is not the only dungeon that have loot downscaling. Other dungeons downscale your loot too.

Posted by: derry.2789

derry.2789

Get other low levels to do it with you, like all low levels, and then you all are playing off the same level so nobody will feel like anyone’s gimping the group. It might be viable then if you keep rerunning the lvl 1-2 fractals.

Posted by: codpin.6542

codpin.6542

You should level up in arah…

Faith of Astora - Guardian | Faith Mess - Mesmer | Faith War - Warrior
Member of ASq Guild – Gandara [EU]

(edited by codpin.6542)

Posted by: SliceOfHam.2419

SliceOfHam.2419

I tried to do fractals today with a lvl27 ele, only leveled once, the loot was my level sooo…. it’d be nice if this was a viable way to level and I wouldn’t miss out on lvl 80 loot

I would rather take a naked level 80 character with white weapons equipped, than a level 27 greened up character because they actually have skills and traits unlocked.

pullnointer.1476

What’s there not to understand? As a previous poster mention, you just want your cake and eat it too. The game just does not allow it, in terms of both loot and leveling. I am saying FotM is not the only dungeon that have loot downscaling. Other dungeons downscale your loot too.

great. now would you mind answering my question? why is it an incentive to be upscaled? what do I gain from being upscaled?

mosspit.8936

great. now would you mind answering my question? why is it an incentive to be upscaled? what do I gain from being upscaled?

ummmmm… because other dungeons don’t upscale you to level 80?

pullnointer.1476

and? if I can just keep doing normal pve completing maps or wvw then that’s still a far better reward far easier achieved. aka more xp, loot. not like I care that much, just saying. upscaling in itself doesn’t get me nowhere.

Posted by: Kirbyprime.2645

Kirbyprime.2645

So… let’s not talk about stuff being carried, or low level, or whatever. While controversial, that is not what the OP is asking.

The issue is loot and loot scaling and whether or not all gear from the FOTM dungeon should be scaled along with level.

From a purely game-play perspective, obtaining level 80 gear for a character that is unable to equip it is useless for the character unless sold. Remember, purely game-play; Black Lion trading doesn’t count since if that was the case, they might as well just give you silver drops instead of gear.

Currently, there is no known instance where an up-scaled content would give up-scaled loot. The only instances of loot that is higher than the character level are missions and zones that has minimum levels higher than that of the character. The closest comparison would be down-scaled characters getting loot which is not down-scaled.

As for counter arguments about FOTM being an end-game dungeon. I argue that FOTM can only be considered as “end-game” post 10 when agony and additional boss mechanics are added. Before then the dungeon is long, but far easier than some if not most if the conventional dungeons. Additional point, post 10, which I consider as “end-game” or true level 80 dungeon, you do have a chance of obtaining ascended rings which IS level 80.

With that, I conclude that you do either one of 2 things. Either you leave it alone as it is now, or you permanently change it so FOTM is a level 80 only dungeon with no up-scaling to match other content that can potentially give you higher level gear.

mosspit.8936

and? if I can just keep doing normal pve completing maps or wvw then that’s still a far better reward far easier achieved. aka more xp, loot. not like I care that much, just saying. upscaling in itself doesn’t get me nowhere.

If you didn’t get upscaled to 80, your stats will remain at lvl27 for a lvl 80 dungeon. You don’t see being upscaled to 80 is an incentive? It’s okay. I do

pullnointer.1476

If you didn’t get upscaled to 80, your stats will remain at lvl27 for a lvl 80 dungeon. You don’t see being upscaled to 80 is an incentive? It’s okay. I do

k